Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission Flash

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 01:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission Flash

Hi all, just bought a '13 TL SH-AWD Tech with about 31K miles on it. It's due for B12 service and I wanted to check to see if the transmission flash for the TC issue has been installed. Can an independent shop confirm this? Or do I have to go to the dealer for this? Thanks!
Old 09-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by bmtrbz2002
Hi all, just bought a '13 TL SH-AWD Tech with about 31K miles on it. It's due for B12 service and I wanted to check to see if the transmission flash for the TC issue has been installed. Can an independent shop confirm this? Or do I have to go to the dealer for this? Thanks!
Call the dealer and give your VIN.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I'd go to the dealer. It's free to get the update. An indy mechanic probably won't have the instrumentation required to flash or check the ECU to that extent.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Cruisin'

Sounds good... Thanks all
Old 09-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
I'd go to the dealer. It's free to get the update. An indy mechanic probably won't have the instrumentation required to flash or check the ECU to that extent.
If you're still researching on this 4G TL nemesis of an issue, See the TSB 16-046:

BACKGROUND
A judder from the torque converter lock-up clutch may be felt while driving between 20 and 60mph. The problem is typically diagnosed as a bad torque converter. American Honda investigated the judder and found that the torque converter was not causing the judder; rather, it was caused by deteriorated transmission fluid. The transmission fluid deteriorates quicker than expected when it is exposed to intermittent high heat loads under specific driving conditions. American Honda is working on a software update that will maintain the transmission fluid temperature within the desirable range under all driving conditions and eliminate the potential for this judder. American Honda will revise this service bulletin when the software update is available.
Until the software is released, the judder can be fixed by flushing the transmission fluid as indicated in the FLUSH PROCEDURE. Make sure the customer is aware that this is a temporary fix and he or she will have to return once the software is available to make sure the transmission judder is resolved.
NOTE: American Honda defines flushing the transmission as draining and filling the transmission with a drive cycle three times to help make sure the deteriorated fluid is removed. There are other aftermarket flush systems available, but American Honda does not recommend using them.

TEMPORARY CORRECTIVE ACTION
Take an automatic transmission snapshot and review the data. For more information about capturing and interpreting the data, refer to the job aid Torque Converter Clutch Shudder and Vibration and the Tech2Tech® video “Interpreting Torque Converter Judder Snapshot Data.”
Once it is confirmed that the judder is coming from the torque converter, flush the transmission three times as indicated in the FLUSH PROCEDURE. This is a temporary fix that does not affect the durability or life span of the torque converter until the software is developed.
NOTE: There is no need to call Tech Line before undertaking this ATF flush repair.

I would definitely see if anything related to the TQ TSBs have been performed on your car yet and if not, go to the dealer just to have your T Fluid replaced while we all sit and wait for American Honda to come out with this update, and get the T Fluid flushed again!

I had both of the earlier TQ TSBs (16-030 & 16-040) performed on my car already, so ill be happy to have another free flush to go along with my recently brand new TQ when the update comes out!!!!

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B16-046.PDF
Old 09-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

So there is no software fix available yet? I thought there was but I might have misunderstood.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:27 PM
Cruisin'

So there is no software fix available yet? I thought there was but I might have misunderstood.
Just a quick follow-up... had the transmission flush and software update performed on Wednesday. I would say it has really transformed the car! It's much more enjoyable to drive as it seems like small inputs on the gas pedal make the car "go" where it didn't seem like they did before. Having never driven it when it was new (I just purchased it), I really didn't know what the driving experience should be like, but decided to get it checked out and am glad that I did. I thought at first that the fuel economy might be worse, but I think that's because I had just refueled and was driving in heavy traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if fuel economy ends up being a bit better as I won't have to rev the engine as much.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick follow-up... had the transmission flush and software update performed on Wednesday. I would say it has really transformed the car! It's much more enjoyable to drive as it seems like small inputs on the gas pedal make the car "go" where it didn't seem like they did before. Having never driven it when it was new (I just purchased it), I really didn't know what the driving experience should be like, but decided to get it checked out and am glad that I did. I thought at first that the fuel economy might be worse, but I think that's because I had just refueled and was driving in heavy traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if fuel economy ends up being a bit better as I won't have to rev the engine as much.
Hey, new member here. I just came across your post and was hoping you can provide some more information on software update you had performed. Did you specifically ask to get the transmission flash done or did the dealer recommend it? Also, how did you determine if you needed it done in the first place? I just recently bought a 2014 TL sh-awd advance with 30k miles and I feel that at times my shifts are a bit weird. I upgraded from and 06 Accord lx v6. Thank you for your help!
Old 10-01-2017, 08:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Njzhitman88
Hey, new member here. I just came across your post and was hoping you can provide some more information on software update you had performed. Did you specifically ask to get the transmission flash done or did the dealer recommend it? Also, how did you determine if you needed it done in the first place? I just recently bought a 2014 TL sh-awd advance with 30k miles and I feel that at times my shifts are a bit weird. I upgraded from and 06 Accord lx v6. Thank you for your help!
There have been a few posts on the boards here lately with information on this fix. I asked the service advisor to look for TSBs based on the issue I described, knowing that this one existed:
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/B16-046/enu/B16-046.PDF

Fortunately, the SA shared his screen with me while he was searching, and based on his search, I could see that he was able to pull up the TSB above and I told him that was the one that I was familiar with. He said they'd have the tech check into it and see if it applied, but it said it's for all models of 2013-2014 TLs, so he didn't know why it wouldn't. Ultimately they willingly performed the steps, under warranty, so I was definitely pleased with the result.

I can't find my papers from the dealer at the moment that should have the software fix identified on it, but someone else posted a clip here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/4th-gen-2012-tl-torque-converter-issue-w-6sp-auto-935710/page2/

I'll try to look at some point to make sure it was the same thing.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Njzhitman88
Forgot to mention... I didn't know for sure that I had this problem, but to me the car didn't seem like it drove quite right. At the very least, I found it more annoying as I drove it more, where I'd give it the gas, and it seemed like it wasn't responsive, so I'd give it a little more gas, and then you'd downshift twice and really take off (more so than I was looking to). There seems to be more of a willingness to downshift now and giving the car just a little more gas now seems to get a response, whereas before it didn't seem to respond until there was a downshift.

Even if there was no "problem" per se with the torque convertor and transmission was somehow reprogrammed to change the shift points (or maybe it was the transmission fluid change), it made a difference to me.