4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sport Mode... Whats the Deal with First Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:46 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
Sport Mode... Whats the Deal with First Gear?

First off I want to say that my car has had the transmission software update done to it.

Since ive got the rv6 jpipe and hfpcs ive been driving in sport mode almost exclusively. Its defiantly a lot more fun but im wondering does anyone think its bad to be constantly downshifting to slow down instead of braking? I find I barely need to use the brakes in sport mode because letting off the gas and downshifting really slows the car down. Not like in regular drive mode where it takes forever to slow down once im off the gas. The car feels great but im curious if anyone thinks this is bad for the engine/tranny at all?

Furthermore whats the deal with first gear??? My car wont rev past 2500/3000 in first, it will always autoshift into 2nd around 2500/3000 rpm. Similar story with downshifting into first. I have to almost be at a complete stop to downshift into first. A lot of the time im coasting and almost stopped and i will downshift into first, it will blink m1 m1 then go back to m2 and a split second later as i apply the brakes and basically stop it will autoshift into first gear. Seems very strange. Anyone else experience this?
Old 05-31-2018, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
The auto shift from first to second is typical of the 12 and up. In the 09 /11 you can redline in first.

I use Manual Mode exclusively but avoid downshifting especially to first. Maybe, I am in the minority and even wrong but I feel that using Manual is better.

Our cars tend to go in to top gear too early and leads to shuddering, similar effect can be felt when driving a Manual Gearbox equipped car, RPM to torque is too low. I feel that the car being in fifth or sixth (depending on year) too early is not good for the tranny / torque converter. This is what the update tried to address.
The following users liked this post:
dopeboy1 (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:04 AM
The inconvenient truth

Ah ok I knew I had read about people being able to rev high in first. Makes sense that its the 5 speed. I find first pretty useless in the 6 speed.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Ok, I'm going to try my best not to be a know-it-all, but here's the dee-lee-oh.

First, yes, it's bad to downshift to slow down. Don't manually downshift the transmission to slow down, unless you want to wear it out prematurely. Downshifting is especially hard on the clutch packs which have a limited amount of media before they're shot. The same applies to manual transmissions. I'd only downshift to accelerate faster or use engine braking to help slow down and keep traction, like in snow, where brakes would make you slip. In all other situations, use the brakes. They're much cheaper and easier to replace. Second, 1st and 2nd gear will run all the way to redline if you gun it. If not, it will automatically shift (as you've noticed) when accelerating at a steady pace since it's programmed for economy and to put the least amount of wear on the transmission. Third, as you've noticed, it's pretty difficult to shift into first manually. But if you have the shifter in S mode, and you're not shifting manually, it will easily go into first (assuming the car isn't going too fast which would cause the RPM's to be too high) if you stomp on the throttle.

Now that I've learned all the quirks of the transmission I find it a lot of fun (for an automatic.....). Just a matter of learning how it behaves.
dopeboy1 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Ok, I'm going to try my best not to be a know-it-all, but here's the dee-lee-oh.

First, yes, it's bad to downshift to slow down. Don't manually downshift the transmission to slow down, unless you want to wear it out prematurely. Downshifting is especially hard on the clutch packs which have a limited amount of media before they're shot. The same applies to manual transmissions. I'd only downshift to accelerate faster or use engine braking to help slow down and keep traction, like in snow, where brakes would make you slip. In all other situations, use the brakes. They're much cheaper and easier to replace. Second, 1st and 2nd gear will run all the way to redline if you gun it. If not, it will automatically shift (as you've noticed) when accelerating at a steady pace since it's programmed for economy and to put the least amount of wear on the transmission. Third, as you've noticed, it's pretty difficult to shift into first manually. But if you have the shifter in S mode, and you're not shifting manually, it will easily go into first (assuming the car isn't going too fast which would cause the RPM's to be too high) if you stomp on the throttle.

Now that I've learned all the quirks of the transmission I find it a lot of fun (for an automatic.....). Just a matter of learning how it behaves.
^AGREE!!!

The auto can hold 1st if you really stomp on the gas from a stop. It's designed to be a launch gear for better 0-60 times and give better "peppy" feel in lower end in city driving. Don't use engine braking manually, what the car does in S mode is ok for the most part. If you start getting a very hard downshift into 1st gear coming to a red light your valve body might need a rebuild in the trans. Also there is a replaceable filter that you should replace every 50K in my opinion.
dopeboy1 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 11:07 AM
The inconvenient truth

Oh yeah I tried it yesterday and it does rev in first if you really mash the pedal. Dang it felt fast, it rev'd to about 5500 rpm so fast I wasn't expecting that. I must have been going 80 km/h in seconds.

The downshifting is nice and smooth it just seems there's a sweet spot. Thanks for the knowledge!
Old 06-06-2018, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1
First off I want to say that my car has had the transmission software update done to it.?
Is there a way to find out if you need the software update?
Old 06-06-2018, 03:28 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Down shifting for braking is a trade-off. If in traffic which ebbs and flows, the brakes are typically better, errr, except if say, second gear has the range to cover the typical upper and lower speeds being traveled. Things get more murky in mountainous driving; if you know you're coming up to say, a 5-mile decline and holding speed with little or no braking is possible with a downshift to say, fourth or third gear, that is always less wear and tear on the overall car, than riding the brakes; the added benefit here is you get to the bottom of the hill with cool brakes, not ones which are nearing their heat/fade threshold. Of course if you're in constant up-down-up..., mountains, the brakes are typically better suited to speed control, errr, once again, except if any one gear is appropriate for both the speed being traveled and the inclines and declines.

Clear as mud?
Old 06-06-2018, 04:35 PM
The inconvenient truth

Originally Posted by AL_BOS
Is there a way to find out if you need the software update?
I guess its if you have shuttering or somewhat un-smooth shifts. But honestly mine shifted perfectly fine before I had it done and I didn't notice a difference after it was done.

What happened was after I bought the car I went to my local dealership to get its service records. They got me what records they could (basically just an overview since it wasn't the the dealership the car was serviced at)

Anyways they said heres the print out, the airbag has been done, theres just one "outstanding campaign" which is the transmission software update which is free, when would you like to book it.

I figured it was a free tranny fluid change and the software update couldn't make it any worse.

So the dealer didn't characterize it as something that may or may not need to be done. They said its an update when do you want to book it.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the info. i just had mine in to get the airbag replaced and they didn't mention anything. so assuming i'm good
Old 06-07-2018, 06:14 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by AL_BOS
thanks for the info. i just had mine in to get the airbag replaced and they didn't mention anything. so assuming i'm good
I was in recently for the clogged transmission filter TSB they said no update was required for my car. I have a 2013.