Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shopping for '12 Tech in Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shopping for '12 Tech in Los Angeles

hiya all, I am in Los Angeles and currently shopping for a deal on '12 TL FWD Tech. my best online quote is $33.5K + TTL, and this is the 1st offer.
my budget is $35K OTD, so it should be about $32K+TTL (8.75% sales tax). is it a possible number to get?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Andy,

I shopped a couple of local dealers before getting our TL exactly a year ago and found Glendale Acura to be very competitive. However, we bought our car from Hansel up in Santa Rosa, mainly because they were the only dealer in the state to have a Mayan Bronze at the time but I also have to say they were the most decent and easy to work with folks I had ever come across in terms of car purchases. Just for fun you might shoot them an email to see what they can do. The manager I dealt with was Victor Love who was a pleasure to deal with.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just bought a 12TL and probably got the same lowest quote that you received. I honestly don't think it's possible to go lower without some heavy, intense negotiation (which I wasn't in the mood to do). I ended up settling at that price with 0.9% APR.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got mine for 33.4K + TTL in mid-September (12 TL Tech). But here's what happened: The competing dealers weren't moving on the price, but on the extras. One dealership offered me 5 A1 services and 4 B1 services but is 40 miles away. The dealership 4 miles from me offered 6 B1 services included. I took the 6 B1s. I took a $50 hit in terms of retail prices of the services, but I now only have to travel 4 miles. Big difference.

See what their competitors are doing and use some of these extras as leverage.

BTW, I don't know if its still going on, but they also gave me $1K towards a down if I financed through Acura Finance. $1k, 1.9% for 60 mos. is not a bad deal and I can still refinance through my credit union for a similar rate.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok thanks. iat this point i am not sure if i want to lease or finance... should i nego the price first before any lease or finance term?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
copy/paste from another forum should be helpful for you with lease option details

A quick primer on leases. This is to help those who aren't familiar with how car leases work. Please feel free to comment on any errors or ambiguities.

With a car lease, you are financing the differing between the vehicle price and the value of it at the end of the lease period. The manufacturer's finance company (or the 3rd party bank) set that value. When leasing a car, you're looking for the highest possible value for this figure. This value is the residual. In the case of this deal, the residual value of the car after 18 months is set at 78%. In other words, you're financing 22% of depreciation.
At the end of the lease, you return the car to your local dealership (it doesn't have to be the one you bought it from) and walk away. Infiniti does have a $395 end of lease fee which is waived if you lease or buy another. You can also buy your leased car for the 78% residual if you want.

Another term you'll hear and see is cap. cost (capitalization cost). This is just a fancy way of saying the selling price of the car. This is vital in leasing. The residual value is set on the MSRP of the car, not the selling price. For example in this deal, 78% of the MSRP would be around $9,000. Get the cap. cost down to $3,000 less than sticker and then you're only financing $6,000. In leasing, negotiating the sales prie is just the same as if you're buying the car. To the dealer there is no difference.

You'll also hear the term "money factor". This is just the leasing term for interest rate. To get the interest rate, multiply the money factor (MF) by 2400. In the case of this deal, the MF is 0.00001, so the interest rate is 0.24%. Look out for mark-ups on these. It's a favorite spot for dealers to make some extra cash. I used to get a $400 bonus if I could mark up by 0.5% or more.

Look out for fees. All you should be paying is;

1. Bank fee. For Infiniti this is $700. The dealer does have to pay this. Some will try to bump it up to make more money.

2. Security deposit. This isn't always charged although folks with lower credit scores or short credit history may be asked to do so. It should be around $595 and is refunded at the end of the lease.

3. Sales tax. For most states, this is just the tax on your monthly payment. If your sales tax rate is 10% and your payment is $250, then you'll pay $275 per month. This isn't the case in New York, Illinois and Texas. They will either charge you for the entire cost of the car upfront or the entire cost of the lease.

4. DMV fees. Self explanatory.

Any other fees (document fees, etc.) are bogus and just a way for the dealer to make extra money.

Some things to be aware of;

If you go over your allotted miles, the charge will be 10c to 25c per mile depending on the lease term.

Do NOT pay a large down payment to lower your monthly bill. If the car is stolen or totalled, you won't get it back.

Look after the car or you will be penalized at hand-back time.