Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please take a look

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Please take a look

Getting touch up paint tomorrow at the dealer but do you think this is a rock chip or a manufacturing defect? My boyfriend thinks it's a defect. Like the paint peeled. Think Acura will touch it up for me or am I being ridiculous? Trust me, I know rock chips are bound to happen, it's just so soon. I know I'm being fussy but car is less than two months old.
I'll see what they say but any advice on the proper way to use the touch up paint is greatly appreciated.

p.s. I signed up to this forum because through all my research on buying and comparing cars, AZ always came up with the best information from great car enthusiasts. Thanks everyone

http://
Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Probably a chip that got worse due to being in that location. Honda/acura paint seems very easy to chip and scratch. Only other paint that I've seen that was worse was Subaru.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Just get some touch up paint from the dealer and take care of it yourself. If you take it to the dealer they will do the same and waste your time.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Acura paint is notoriously known for being soft,

I have a couple chips from rocks on my TL - it happens, too bad it happenend to yours so soon. Touch up paint is kinda a temporary solution to make it look better.

AZ members Nexson and potmilks can tell you the best way to really fix it correctly.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
You can't really argue wear and tear as a factory defect. It sucks to happen so soon, but unless you have a clear bra on the front, its inevitable.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Miss.Acura....I agree that it looks different than a rock chip but I tend to agree with amill....its probably a little rock chip that given its location, peeled off. I know it sucks to have it happen so early on.

I have the white one too and I have a tiny little pit that I touched up on my bumper, the rest is intact which is amazing after almost 3 years!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You can ask, but there's a very small chance they will pay to fix that as it would require a complete repaint and it just looks like a chip that's exacerbated due to the location.

I would strongly, strongly suggest a 3m clearbra if you're concerned about rock chips. Honda's paint in thin and the front of your car will look like a pockmarked teenager in a year or two of driving.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
That's a pretty tough spot to touch up as to make it look perfect you will need to apply touch up (multiple layers), wet sand it down and polish it up. However, generally, the edges are typically thinner and it is usually not recommended to wet sand. Actually, you generally do not want to wet sand factory paint as these days they are rather thin to begin with. I would say just apply touch up to prevent rusting and live with it.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I agree to what C8N said, you will get over it. First blemish is the hardest. I had a chip on the hood and touched it up with factory paint. After awhile, it didn't bother me anymore. It won't be flawless forever and rock chips are inevitable.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just went to the dealer and the paint they gave me is "white orchid pearl" when the color is "bellanova white pearl". He ask me the year of my car and came out to look at it. I looked up the code and I guess it's the right color.... hope so! Any of you have the touch-up paint for Bellanova?

Honda/Acura paint is really thin/soft. My bf has a black BMW with 98k miles on it and barely has any chips or dings and he doesn't even take care of it like he used to when it was new. I feel German cars age much better (on the outside).

Anyways, you're all right, I will have to live with it and I'll get over it ~ give me a week lol... Of course I was hoping to drive it much longer with no imperfections

Thanks for the reply's
Old 11-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Common location for chips to develop in Honda/Acura, had something just like that in one of my 3G's, touch up applied well and the fact that it is in a concealed location will allow it to be virtually undetectable to anyone, might even surprise yourself. Don't "paint" it on, "glob" the right amount to "fill" it, if that makes sense and it should last a long time. Fortunately, if it ever starts to get worse (which is unlikely), it's only the trim piece, can be swapped or painted off the car. FWIW, sometimes different names are given to the same color code (Canadian models or marketing purposes) or it's such a small amount that it really won't matter if it's close in the first place.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 11-18-2013 at 04:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Miss.Acura (11-21-2013)