4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just started as a Sales Consultant for Superior Acura, send dealer Q's here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by gx3
Hello Corey, I was an Acura owner for eight and half years and I loved my car (2005 TL) and hanged in there to see if Acura will come up with something interesting in their sedan but nothing. I loved the 2004 to 2008 or 2009 body style but that was the last interesting sedan from Acura. I have been reading comments in this site since I owned that car but didn't join the site till recently and did not put any comment till two days ago. I wanted to put this comment just to say Acura lost my business because they are not producing cars that people want, or should I say I wanted. I was really excited to purchase my 2005 TL, and I like their MDX but unfortunately there is no other interesting car in their line up. I drove new TL, ILX, and TSX and nothing interesting about these cars (body style or technology) so I purchased a car from Toyota. I hope Acura will find their way again and produce cars that people get excited to purchase, like I did when I purchased my TL. I still read the comments in this site in hope of finding new and exciting cars from Acura, and thank you for all the information you are providing.

Okay, seriously not trying to slam you because you're freely entitled to your opinion. But you purchased a Toyota over an Acura sedan because Acuras are not exciting?? Which exciting Toyota did you buy, may I ask? The daring Camry? Adventurous Corolla? Exhilarating Avalon? Personally, I don't find any Toyotas that exciting. Maybe I'm missing something here. Again, not trying to slam you. I hope you enjoy your new car. To each his own.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey_Straker
I know! That would be one slick combination. Too bad Umber is going away from all the car lineups. People always ask me and criticize why they can't get what they want. I just tell them "because acura doesn't ask us."

It gets very annoying.
I assume you guys don't realize the MBM/umber with 6MT did, indeed, exist in 2010 and 2011. A few people who visit this site own one. When the mid cycle refresh came out, the MT was limited to black interior and a shade between white and black exterior. I suspect Acura chose to limit color choices for 6MTs to help dealers sell them off their lots. I test drove two black 6MTs at two different dealerships in 2010 before I ordered my MBM/umber. Honda is doing the same thing with the 9th generation Honda Accord Sport 6MT (black or gray exterior with black cloth interior only).

I've visited assembly lines before; and all colors are running all the time. The trim, parts, and components unique to MT cars are not exterior or interior upholstery color dependent. So, it's not a cost saving move...

Last edited by draph; 12-07-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by a32tl
Okay, seriously not trying to slam you because you're freely entitled to your opinion. But you purchased a Toyota over an Acura sedan because Acuras are not exciting?? Which exciting Toyota did you buy, may I ask? The daring Camry? Adventurous Corolla? Exhilarating Avalon? Personally, I don't find any Toyotas that exciting. Maybe I'm missing something here. Again, not trying to slam you. I hope you enjoy your new car. To each his own.
To be fair, he said he was excited to buy the TL. He described the cars as "interesting", not exciting.

And nobody despises Toyota more than I do, but even I would buy an Avalon over a TL.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 4thaccord
To be fair, he said he was excited to buy the TL. He described the cars as "interesting", not exciting.

And nobody despises Toyota more than I do, but even I would buy an Avalon over a TL.

If you despise Toyota that much, you must really hate TLs to desire an Avalon over one. Like I said, to each his own. I love my TL and wouldn't consider an Avalon. But if you were to pull up next to me in an Avalon, I'd still wave at you.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by gx3
Hello Corey, I was an Acura owner for eight and half years and I loved my car (2005 TL) and hanged in there to see if Acura will come up with something interesting in their sedan but nothing. I loved the 2004 to 2008 or 2009 body style but that was the last interesting sedan from Acura. I have been reading comments in this site since I owned that car but didn't join the site till recently and did not put any comment till two days ago. I wanted to put this comment just to say Acura lost my business because they are not producing cars that people want, or should I say I wanted. I was really excited to purchase my 2005 TL, and I like their MDX but unfortunately there is no other interesting car in their line up. I drove new TL, ILX, and TSX and nothing interesting about these cars (body style or technology) so I purchased a car from Toyota. I hope Acura will find their way again and produce cars that people get excited to purchase, like I did when I purchased my TL. I still read the comments in this site in hope of finding new and exciting cars from Acura, and thank you for all the information you are providing.
Your very welcome, I'll continue doing so trying to help you all out as much as possible. I fully agree the company I work for has half-asses there work lately. You should have no shame in switching, Honda/Acura have defiantly lost there touch. Rumor has it they are on the "road to recovering from a dead period" but I don't see it at all. We can only hope that the TLX marks the beginning of the end of the dull, cheap, and 5-year behind technology pattern.

Originally Posted by tsturbo
I fully agree, have been a long time honda and Acura fan and owner, but I have to say, the 2nd gen MDX, the original TSX, RSX, 2 nd gen TL, Integra and of course the NSX are the only Acura's that were on cutting edge and were exciting. This has made me begin to check out the competition, lexus, BMW and others. I don't want to leave the Acura family, but they have lost their way and until this changes, I may go elsewhere.
I 100% agree, it's a shame. They are only killing themselves
Old 12-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by draph
I assume you guys don't realize the MBM/umber with 6MT did, indeed, exist in 2010 and 2011. A few people who visit this site own one. When the mid cycle refresh came out, the MT was limited to black interior and a shade between white and black exterior. I suspect Acura chose to limit color choices for 6MTs to help dealers sell them off their lots. I test drove two black 6MTs at two different dealerships in 2010 before I ordered my MBM/umber. Honda is doing the same thing with the 9th generation Honda Accord Sport 6MT (black or gray exterior with black cloth interior only).

I've visited assembly lines before; and all colors are running all the time. The trim, parts, and components unique to MT cars are not exterior or interior upholstery color dependent. So, it's not a cost saving move...
Wow! I didn't know they did that in 2010 and 2011, that's pretty awesome. I learn something new every day! Thanks for sharing the knowledge!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm a little curious to understand something about the "rust program" that Acura offers. Is there any particular reason why if the panel of the vehicle isn't rusting but the paint may be defective (maybe something got on the body during prep, etc...) how come its not covered by the warranty?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acc-Rite
I'm a little curious to understand something about the "rust program" that Acura offers. Is there any particular reason why if the panel of the vehicle isn't rusting but the paint may be defective (maybe something got on the body during prep, etc...) how come its not covered by the warranty?
Hmmmm, not sure. Is this happening to your car? Give me some additional details. Year/Model/trim/how many owners/any wrecks. I'll ask around.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Yes. I've noticed the issue over the past year and have gotten roughly the same answer. The rust comes out like a rash on the rear trunk and rear fender. The dealer in Oklahoma City says "something got on the paint" and the dealer in Dallas says it could possibly be from the exhaust of the vehicle. Clay bars have been used to remove the rust, but given a month or so, the spots begin to appear again. As far as I know, my 2009 TL base 3.5L has only had one previous owner. There is only one incident of a rear collision to the vehicle but it didn't effect the trunk. So what are your thoughts on how this could be happening and why it wouldn't be a valid reason for Acura to correct?
Old 01-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 91 Posts
Sounds like its rail dust if a clay bar removes it.My WDP gets it on the lowers and on the back of the trunk, could also be from semi metallic brake pads.
The following users liked this post:
Acc-Rite (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Acc-Rite
Yes. I've noticed the issue over the past year and have gotten roughly the same answer. The rust comes out like a rash on the rear trunk and rear fender. The dealer in Oklahoma City says "something got on the paint" and the dealer in Dallas says it could possibly be from the exhaust of the vehicle. Clay bars have been used to remove the rust, but given a month or so, the spots begin to appear again. As far as I know, my 2009 TL base 3.5L has only had one previous owner. There is only one incident of a rear collision to the vehicle but it didn't effect the trunk. So what are your thoughts on how this could be happening and why it wouldn't be a valid reason for Acura to correct?
Can you get a clear picture of the problem area? It sounds very much like iron contamination - very likely due to rail dust but there are thousands of ways for it to happen. Basically small iron particles get embedded into the clearcoat and then rust - leaving you small rust spots. This is NOT a defect in the paint, all manufacturers have the issue. Acura should not and will not do anything about it.

Claybar can help temporarily remove the rust, but the deep contamination will remain and the rust spots will appear again. Look into a paint decontamination product - I personally have great luck with Iron X:

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html

I usually do it every other year.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexG_6MT:
Acc-Rite (01-06-2014), Corey_Straker (01-07-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ This appears to be a great product but these type of products should not be used by people that aren't comfortable handling product as such....used inappropriately can do more harm than good. I love detailing my cars and take great care of it and even I am nervous about using chemicals as potent as this. Again, not trying to discourage anyone from using it but make sure instructions are followed carefully.
The following users liked this post:
Acc-Rite (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Instructor

I appreciate the input. I'll look into these products and see if there are any professionals in my area that will treat the body. /thumbsup
Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Racer

Yes, I would go out and invest in a claybar and some spray wax, clean off the car with soap and water, dry it off. Use the spray wax as lubricant and lightly run the claybar on the surface of the car. Should take it right off. Once you finish up claying, cleaning, and what not be sure to throw a coat of wax on there.