Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! 2011 tl

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 2011 tl

Hey! Looking at a 2011 TL SH-AWD w/tech...
140xxx 11,000 Is this a good deal? What should I look out for? Seems to be perfectly sound. Did have a low oil message in the messages screen, and a loose gas cap message... Are these bad signs or just messages that need small attention. Really hoping this car works out! I've informed the dealer and they are jumping on the issues! Please give me all opinions as I dont want to make a bad descision...
Old 08-07-2018, 11:08 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
The low oil is a bit concerning as it could indicate excess oil burning and/or general neglect. The gas cap message could just need a new cap to fix like my car. I would test drive it and have a mechanic look at it before purchasing. Check out what comparable cars are going for in your area to decide if its a good price or not. If they are asking 11,000 you can always make a lower offer.

As far as issues theres possible excess oil burning, airbag recall and I would drive it on the highway for atleast 30 minutes to see if it makes a whirling sound which indicates it could need the prop shaft replaced. Those are the main issues that come up with these cars.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:15 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
Oh ya and make sure to find out if the 105k service was done (timing belt water pump). It could cost you up to 1k to have done if it haven't been done already.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
The low oil warning has happened on a few TL's without the oil actually being low. It's happened on mine twice. I immediately pulled over, turned off the engine, waited a few minutes for the oil to drain into the pan then checked it. Both times it was fine, which was sort of a mystery.

However, I'd be quite leery about the warning on the 3.7L engine. They have a disposition of oil consumption as dopeboy said. It may be a sure indicator that it consumes oil, though you'll never know how much until you start driving it. At worst, it could indicate that it's excessively low which may have resulted in engine damage. I'd definitely have a mechanic check it out. The dealer is either going to top off the oil or change it altogether which is going to make determining the problem pretty difficult. Look at the tailpipes and see if there's excess soot. That's also an indicator that it may be consuming oil.

Oil consumption on its own isn't necessarily a reason to not buy the car. It's just a factor in your decision. You may be able to negotiate a lower price based on knowing that it has the problem and bringing it up to the dealer. Is this an Acura dealer you're purchasing from? If so, bring the oil consumption issue to their attention (they likely already know about it) and see if they can discount it or possibly even fix it. That requires a rebuilt or new small block however, which is something they probably don't want to do.....
Old 08-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
The low oil warning has happened on a few TL's without the oil actually being low. It's happened on mine twice. I immediately pulled over, turned off the engine, waited a few minutes for the oil to drain into the pan then checked it. Both times it was fine, which was sort of a mystery.

However, I'd be quite leery about the warning on the 3.7L engine. They have a disposition of oil consumption as dopeboy said. It may be a sure indicator that it consumes oil, though you'll never know how much until you start driving it. At worst, it could indicate that it's excessively low which may have resulted in engine damage. I'd definitely have a mechanic check it out. The dealer is either going to top off the oil or change it altogether which is going to make determining the problem pretty difficult. Look at the tailpipes and see if there's excess soot. That's also an indicator that it may be consuming oil.

Oil consumption on its own isn't necessarily a reason to not buy the car. It's just a factor in your decision. You may be able to negotiate a lower price based on knowing that it has the problem and bringing it up to the dealer. Is this an Acura dealer you're purchasing from? If so, bring the oil consumption issue to their attention (they likely already know about it) and see if they can discount it or possibly even fix it. That requires a rebuilt or new small block however, which is something they probably don't want to do.....
I was getting the low oil message on my 2010 TL and when I checked the level, it was always OK. Turned out to be the Oil Pressure Sensor. I replaced it and no more warning messages.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talked to the service dept of the dealer that performed all the maintenance... Which was pretty much all maitnence for the life of the car (seriously the carfax has about 50 reprts!) They personally knew the old lady and said she was very caring and adequate about servicing the car. The 105k mile servicing was done with the timing chain, spark plugs, and water pump... They said the personally would say the car was very well taken care of and should be in perfect mechanical order... Waiting to here from the dealership for an update on the issues. Hopefully nothing major so I can continue the process for purchasing the car.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Fellas,

Just get a 3G TL and call it a day!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
Fellas,

Just get a 3G TL and call it a day!
What universe do you live in where the 3G was available with SH-AWD? Because that was one of the things that tipped me to the 4G...

That said, I think OP should probably try to find an MMC 4G...
Old 08-08-2018, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by elspectro29

That said, I think OP should probably try to find an MMC 4G...
Agreed. The 6 speed AT as well as the bumper and front end change is enough to go with a 2012+. Some prefer the more aggressive look of the pre-MMC though.