Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Enough room for family of 5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enough room for family of 5?

I have 3 kids. Usually it's either me and kids or me and wife. Not all 5 very often, wife has Ford Flex for longer family outings. Think TL is roomy enough for 3 kids with school bags and myself? I've got Sequoia now and am spoiled with the room.

Part 2 If I can get 2009 RL (new) for good price is there much advantage over TL? I don't really need AWD. I'm also looking at a few 2009 Saab 9-5's (new also). It seems buying the Saab is buying a new 10 year old car though.

Anyone have experience with ECU upgrades/chip tuning? Does it really help or is it BS? I find it hard to believe chip tuning can get 25+ hp out of same engine. To get 25+ more hp out of a small block ford or chevy you be changing cam, valves, springs, carb, intake, exhaust...I haven't messed with cars since dirt steet stock car racing days.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by littlekings
I have 3 kids. Usually it's either me and kids or me and wife. Not all 5 very often, wife has Ford Flex for longer family outings. Think TL is roomy enough for 3 kids with school bags and myself? I've got Sequoia now and am spoiled with the room.

Part 2 If I can get 2009 RL (new) for good price is there much advantage over TL? I don't really need AWD. I'm also looking at a few 2009 Saab 9-5's (new also). It seems buying the Saab is buying a new 10 year old car though.

Anyone have experience with ECU upgrades/chip tuning? Does it really help or is it BS? I find it hard to believe chip tuning can get 25+ hp out of same engine. To get 25+ more hp out of a small block ford or chevy you be changing cam, valves, springs, carb, intake, exhaust...I haven't messed with cars since dirt steet stock car racing days.
If you live in NJ I just got a trade in 2009 rl I'm sure we can let got for around 36k.. Lady traded it in for a m37x the rl has like 16k miles...
Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Maybe I'm too into personal space but if two or more of the kids are more than roughly 12 I'd recommend an SUV or large sedan.

I'd still look into an SUV ideally.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
my 4G carries two adults up front and 3 kids in the back (16, 7 and 14 years old) (including a booster seat) just fine - although the center rear position my not be the best and trunk space is not suv like.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you tried MDX?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ideally with 3 kids, I'd recommend a MDX, ZDX or similar SUV. If the kids are young, I think you can get away with the TL. But if the kids are older (9+), space might be too tight in the TL.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:15 AM
1st Gear

ZDX is enough for the family with 3 kids.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm so glad I'm past that stage, never was an SUV guy. However, the MDX is hot, the ZDX...wow, you ever try to sit in the back seat, a bit compromising. I didn't play with the seat adjustments for the front or back seat all that much, but it's worth looking into. I've driven myself, a friend, a 6' '2 nephew and his 5' 6' brother and a small kid in the back of my TL before, they all like the ride and said it was comfortable.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fusion2
ZDX is enough for the family with 3 kids.
I looked at the ZDX and I had a VERY hard time getting in the back seat. I hit my head and my knees the first time trying to get in it. Awful!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ZDX is bigger version of TL?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
Ideally with 3 kids, I'd recommend a MDX, ZDX or similar SUV. If the kids are young, I think you can get away with the TL. But if the kids are older (9+), space might be too tight in the TL.
Have you been in a ZDX? You would have to have a 2 and 4 year-old in the backseat, and hope you don't bash your head on the roof pillar trying to belt them in.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw06
ZDX is bigger version of TL?
One of the Acura sales rep I spoke with this weekend said the ZDX is for those who find the MDX too big and the TL too small. I'm not so sure, I tried sitting in the rear of the ZDX, difficult entry and serious lack of head space due to the sloping roof line.

Both the MDX and TL rear ingress/egress are easier with more head space compared to the ZDX, with the MDX having the most rear head space of all three.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Have you been in a ZDX? You would have to have a 2 and 4 year-old in the backseat, and hope you don't bash your head on the roof pillar trying to belt them in.
The rear seat in the ZDX, imo, was designed for people 5'10" and shorter. I'm 5'9" and it seemed perfect for me. Need to be careful getting in, but once you're in it should be fine unless you're over 5'10".

As for the TL, I think it was made with 4 in mind. Anyone that sits in the middle rear seat complains, always.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

The ZDX is, in my opinion, a big waste of sheetmetal. It's neither practical nor sporty. Acura was delusional into thinking it needed to compete with the BMW X6....which is already an ultra-exclusive niche vehicle. I have yet to see a single ZDX out on the road. The Honda CrossTour looks similar to the ZDX but is much more practical and much less expensive. Acura should have taken the millions in R&D from the ZDX and used it for the new RL or a new sports coupe. You gotta wonder what's going on with Acura's thinking these days.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[quote=PetesTL;12079189]The ZDX is, in my opinion, a big waste of sheetmetal. It's neither practical nor sporty. Acura was delusional into thinking it needed to compete with the BMW X6....which is already an ultra-exclusive niche vehicle. I have yet to see a single ZDX out on the road. The Honda CrossTour looks similar to the ZDX but is much more practical and much less expensive. Acura should have taken the millions in R&D from the ZDX and used it for the new RL or a new sports coupe. You gotta wonder what's going on with Acura's thinking these days.[/quote]
Exactly what i was thinking!!

What a waste of time and money!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=jasonwdp10;12079282]
Originally Posted by PetesTL
The ZDX is, in my opinion, a big waste of sheetmetal. It's neither practical nor sporty. Acura was delusional into thinking it needed to compete with the BMW X6....which is already an ultra-exclusive niche vehicle. I have yet to see a single ZDX out on the road. The Honda CrossTour looks similar to the ZDX but is much more practical and much less expensive. Acura should have taken the millions in R&D from the ZDX and used it for the new RL or a new sports coupe. You gotta wonder what's going on with Acura's thinking these days.[/quote]
Exactly what i was thinking!!

What a waste of time and money!
Yeah, I was reading the latest issue of Motor Trend today and they had a comparison of V6-powered sporty coupes.....guess what? The Hyundai Genesis coupe came in first! Another surprise (not really).......no Acura or Honda to be found anywhere. Something tells me Acura is slowly but surely wanting to become the "Japanese Buick"......their models are getting bigger, heavier, slower, and more expensive. They are clearly aiming to appeal to a more older (and afluent) demographic who care more about creature comforts rather than performance. The last time I was in for service at my local Acura dealer, I did not see a single person under 40 in the waiting room! The last few years have shown that Hyundai is fast replacing Acura at the threshold of the luxury car market. The 2011 Sonata show that Hyundai can do a radical design as well as Acura (maybe even better), and the Genesis has shown it can easily beat the RL at a lesser cost. (And they even have a V8!). Next year, they are introducing the new Equus ultra-luxury sedan that will compete with the BMW 7 series and Mercedes S-class. Meanwhile, Acura releases a $60K cramped, odd-looking crossover that nobody wants. Nice going.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't think you are getting 3 car seats back there. These days the safety nazi's want you keep your kids in a booster seat until they are 18 years old. or 6 ft tall.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Three under 8 year old kids...maybe. The 'bitch' seat is probably just there for insurance or marketing - it's a glorified armrest.