Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Changing engine oil early before MID tells u so

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Changing engine oil early before MID tells u so

I bet this topic came up before but I could not find it through search.
So here it comes again:
I have been changing engine oil every 5000 miles at a Honda dealership. Both times the MID showed about 60% when the oil change took place. Of course the dealership reset it to 100%. My 2012 SH-AWD has about 13500 on it and I have not seen a B service (rear differential fluid change) yet.
My question is that by resetting the MID early before hitting 15%, would it screw up the calculation for the rear differential fluid change and maybe other service as well??

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:53 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
do you have any idea what the exact codes were prior to the oil changes before? there is a way to check it prior to resetting the oil life counter.

I follow my MID...rear differential usually (at least the first one) occurs between 10k and 15k miles (per MID pending on the individual car). The car will then ask again around 40k miles (whenever the oil life reaches that point).

as far as your exact problem...can't say. i would assume the second oil change code would have told you to change the rear diff fluid.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Old 10-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by james21_h
My question is that by resetting the MID early before hitting 15%, would it screw up the calculation for the rear differential fluid change and maybe other service as well??
I've read that it does mess it up. You're not only resetting the oil life but also the other items that would've been due.

FOLLOW THE MID!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Like you, i also change my oil early (around 6k Kms) at the dealership and was told that the rear diff fluid change would not show up if the reset is done.That said i had the oil in the rear diff changed at 15k Kms.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Thanks a lot guys. I am planning on having the RDF changed at 15K miles. I am trying to follow MID but 8-9K miles between oil changes...seems a bit too long! I know this discussion has come up so many times but I still think 5K or 6 months between changes sounds safer to me
Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I never followed the MID for oil, I would DI it between 5-6K miles and the mid would be around 20%. I am not sure how resetting the oil life via MID would impact other indicators since they would be mileage/use based independently of oil change.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by james21_h
.............by resetting the MID early before hitting 15%, would it screw up the calculation for the rear differential fluid change and maybe other service as well??
I have had my TL for over 4 years and have never had a single MID code displayed on my 2010 TL SHAWD 6mt. Per my owners manual, I always "follow" the MID, except change the engine oil at 1 year if the MID does not display first. Also per the owner manual, I do not forget to reset the MID every time I change the engine oil which is at roughly 70%. This MID system is now absolutely useless. And now I am having to guess when each and every type service will need to be done because Acura does not publish a schedule.

The system assumes the following:

1. We can't read an odometer and determine when the next service is required.

2. We are unable to keep our own records of when work is done on what parts

3. We never do the service ourselves.

4. We will always do all the needed services at one time.

5. We will always wait for the MID to tell us when.

6. We will never do service early.

7. We all are of the belief that saving a few pennies of oil life is more important that erring on the side of caution and do work early to ensure the life of OUR (not Acura's) expensive cars.

8. That we all drive about the same mileage/year.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:00 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I would follow the MID. No harm to the engine in changing the oil early; just more frequent trips to the shop, more time spent, and more $$ spent on oil changes.

If one changes the engine oil early, hard to say if one may assume the MID will inform one to change early fluids early too; I suspect not. The manual states "Performing regular maintenance according to the factory-recommended Maintenance Schedule is the best way to keep your Acura running in optimal condition.

Each vehicle has its own maintenance needs, so Acura develops specific maintenance schedules based on model equipment, such as transmission choice or the addition of a towing package.

The Maintenance Schedule calculates service needs based on your car’s mileage. It checks engine-operating conditions and helps coordinate oil service dates and other maintenance check-ups. Prevent problems before they occur."
Old 10-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Little Gator: Acura in Canada does publish and hand out a maintenance schedule. Very similar details have been posted here in other threads on this oil change topic. You should be able to search them out. I tend to agree with you but you cannot fight city hall. The system is designed for people who do not know how to open the hood of their car.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Drifting

If you don't want to follow the MID then don't reset it when you change the oil. Use it only for the other maintenance items.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
correction:
I had one MID code about 2 years ago for my rear diff. gear oil change.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Well, I have discount for oil changes at the local Honda dealer I go to. It's only $25 including filter so I figure it is cheap enough to do a oil change every 5k miles. Next time I will mention that not to reset the MID when I go in. You can't beat a $25 oil change!!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
If a dealer does a reset, they don't just press and hold the button until the oil goes to 100%. They plug in the Honda tablet to the OBD and through the menus they reset just the items they work on. Or at least this is what the process is. So, even if you are at 40% oil and they do just an oil change, they'll use their computer to reset just the oil change parameter but leave the rest un-reset. The problem is that most people at dealerships or private mechanics don't follow the process written in the shop manuals they have... wish they did!

Last edited by Tonyware; 10-21-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
If a dealer does a reset, they don't just press and hold the button until the oil goes to 100%. They plug in the Honda tablet to the OBD and through the menus they reset just the items they work on. Or at least this is what the process is. So, even if you are at 40% oil and they do just an oil change, they'll use their computer to reset just the oil change parameter but leave the rest un-reset. The problem is that most people at dealerships or private mechanics don't follow the process written in the shop manuals they have... wish they did!
I would be very surprised if this were true. I don't think most, if any, dealerships plug in the tablet for routine service (unless there was a check engine light on or other warning lights on at the time of service). Even if they did, I don't know if they tablet will let them pick which items to clear.

I always keep a record on the computer of exactly what services were done and the date and mileage of that service. That way, I can always look back and see what was done and when to determine what has to be done at any given time/mileage. I know that every 15K there will be something more than an oil change. So if I change the oil at 5K and 10K, I know at 15K I will have the oil change, rear diff service, and engine air filter and cabin A/C filters if they are dirty. At 30K, I would have a repeat of the 15K and be adding transmission fluid, transfer unit and brake/abs fluid flush.

The MID is really good for those who do not keep track of when they did service and don't want to figure out what is needed. For these people they can just keep driving until the light comes on and have the services performed that are indicated by the MID.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:46 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
It is not a question if the dealers plug in the tablet or not, is that they should follow process as per shop manual. For example if code "5" appears and they change the engine coolant, they should fire up the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS), navigate at something called "maintenance sub item 5 reset". Yep, these cars are way too complex these days, yet their "smarts" are transparent to the owner. After all, Honda is an engine company...

BTW, that Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) is a pretty neat tool to have, somewhat pricey though
Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
I wish I could last for next oil change as per the MID. Unfortnately I would be out of oil if I wait, at 50% I need to add 1 liter because I am pretty much at the bottom of the dip stick. Once I put in my 1 liter I am good until the MID reminder for oil change.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:01 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm confused.

I used to change my oil when the MID would say my oil life is at "60%."

After reading around, I seemed to come under the conclusion to wait for the MID to tell me or for it to say 15% oil life.

My "oil life" is at 30% currently... but the MID has not indicated I need an oil change... so do I need an oil change or not?

I have always reset my oil life back to 100% following an oil change.... so have i messed up my car's maintenance minder? I'm worried I'm going to miss out on routine maintenance per the MID because I reset the oil life back to 100% all those times and now the MID/Maintenance Minder is out of sync.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^30% is not 15%

once you drive a little more it'll beep and scream at you
Old 10-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne
I'm confused.

I used to change my oil when the MID would say my oil life is at "60%."

After reading around, I seemed to come under the conclusion to wait for the MID to tell me or for it to say 15% oil life.

My "oil life" is at 30% currently... but the MID has not indicated I need an oil change... so do I need an oil change or not?

I have always reset my oil life back to 100% following an oil change.... so have i messed up my car's maintenance minder? I'm worried I'm going to miss out on routine maintenance per the MID because I reset the oil life back to 100% all those times and now the MID/Maintenance Minder is out of sync.
Yeah, what justn said...wait until 15% to change.

I do believe you've thrown your other service reminders out of whack. What mileage are you at and what maintenance have you done or had done?
Old 10-31-2013, 02:18 PM

interesting that you guise bring this up.

if acura is playing it safe, then why would they make it so that it erases all future scheduling?
I have a 3G TL, and by resetting the MID, it does not reset future schedules, because Ive gotten different kinds of codes..
A1
B1,2,3.

4 is the timing belt and I'm only at 65k miles..

interested in getting to the bottom of the 4G MID.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:15 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^30% is not 15%

once you drive a little more it'll beep and scream at you
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Yeah, what justn said...wait until 15% to change.

I do believe you've thrown your other service reminders out of whack. What mileage are you at and what maintenance have you done or had done?
Yes I know 30% isn't 15% I just wanted to make sure 15% is the real actual number and that i'm not already over due for a change as it is.

Thanks guys, I'll wait for 15% and the resulting beeps/screams from the car

Originally Posted by justnspace
interesting that you guise bring this up.

if acura is playing it safe, then why would they make it so that it erases all future scheduling?
I have a 3G TL, and by resetting the MID, it does not reset future schedules, because Ive gotten different kinds of codes..
A1
B1,2,3.

4 is the timing belt and I'm only at 65k miles..

interested in getting to the bottom of the 4G MID.
This. It doesn't make sense to me either. Truth be told, I have about 45K miles on my car and have had no codes whatsoever yet. Which is why i've wondered if i've screwed up the MID's maintenance minder/scheduler.... Then again, maybe it just hasn't needed anything done for the last 45k miles except oil changes?
Old 10-31-2013, 03:19 PM

^you're correct.
you dont need anything other than oil changes and tire rotations and visual inspections.
A1-3
B1-3
is just that. oi+filter change and tire rotations + inspections.

not sure if you're awd tho?
I wonder when the rear diff fluid needs to be changed.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
To much paranoia about oil changes. The MID should be good enough for the change interval. Thing to ask is how many people you know have had an oil related engine failure that did not involve actually losing the oil or running too low?

Guys with race engines change oil frequently but race oil is not the same as what you put in a DD. In fact race oil in a DD is a real bad idea because the additive package is not suitable for a street driven car.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Drifting

Maybe I'm wrong about it throwing off the other maintenance items. I don't know for sure but if the 3G doesn't have an issue with it then the 4G probably doesn't either. I can't remember where I read on here that someone felt they'd missed maintenance items b/c of changing their oil early and resetting the MID.

Of course the manual doesn't state the recommended intervals for the rear diff fluid. It does give info regarding living in mountainous areas and driving at very low speeds (change at 7,500 miles then every 15k miles in that case). I just got my rear diff fluid code @ 40k miles and am not sure if it was changed before I bought the car (had 9k miles when purchased).
Old 10-31-2013, 03:32 PM

^I read the same as you, some one on the 4G side thought they messed up the maintenance intervals.
I just dont remember the conclusion....
Old 10-31-2013, 03:42 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Of course the manual doesn't state the recommended intervals for the rear diff fluid. It does give info regarding living in mountainous areas and driving at very low speeds (change at 7,500 miles then every 15k miles in that case). I just got my rear diff fluid code @ 40k miles and am not sure if it was changed before I bought the car (had 9k miles when purchased).
My car just passed the 9k mark and I did not get the differential code yet
Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm one of those crazy old men that doesn't put a ton of miles on my TL. So at 1 year my MID says like 50% oil life. So I take it in and have it changed. I'm told, by the Service Manager, that when they reset the MID, it does screw up the other service intervals. I've asked them not to reset but 9 times out of 10 they do anyway. Kinda like "and don't wash it either...." Not sure what to believe.