Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 TL Whining issue / losing all power

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 TL Whining issue / losing all power

Hi guys,

A whining noise from the engine bay started occurring about a week ago but I didn't put much thought into it ( I know I should have ). Anyway the whine would get worse with acceleration but was still relatively loud while idling. Today while driving the "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" message came up and not even a minute later everything started popping up with error messages (AWD system, brake system, power steering system etc...) and I lost most engine power and completely lost power steering. I pulled over and shut the car off and literally nothing would work at that point, not even the power locks. I went and bought a new battery and everything was working fine but the "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" light came was still on. I drove it over to pepboys (closest place) for diagnostics and they ended up telling me they think its a short somewhere near one of the headlights.

With all that being said, the whirring / whining noise that has been happening along with a burning smell that started after everything shut off makes me super confident it's the alternator.

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any input on this? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,603 Likes on 6,645 Posts
sounds like an alternator to me too..
Old 10-17-2018, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Mxdzy
Hi guys,

A whining noise from the engine bay started occurring about a week ago but I didn't put much thought into it ( I know I should have ). Anyway the whine would get worse with acceleration but was still relatively loud while idling. Today while driving the "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" message came up and not even a minute later everything started popping up with error messages (AWD system, brake system, power steering system etc...) and I lost most engine power and completely lost power steering. I pulled over and shut the car off and literally nothing would work at that point, not even the power locks. I went and bought a new battery and everything was working fine but the "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" light came was still on. I drove it over to pepboys (closest place) for diagnostics and they ended up telling me they think its a short somewhere near one of the headlights.

With all that being said, the whirring / whining noise that has been happening along with a burning smell that started after everything shut off makes me super confident it's the alternator.

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any input on this? Thanks.
Definitely the alternator . Replace with OEM if you dont want further issues.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alternator. This happened to me a few months ago. I went with a Denso and it’s been great since. I replaced the serpentine belt at the same time. May be a good idea at the same time if you haven’t already depending on mileage.