TSX reliability (currently)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX reliability (currently)

Hello,

Just curious how many miles people currently have on their TSX's, and what problems they've run into with it?

Also, for the people that have run into issues outside of the warranty period, what issue was it, and what did it cost to repair? I'm just trying to determine how long I would like to keep my TSX for AFTER the warranty period.

Lastly, I have a 2007 CGP TSX w/ Navi..
Old 03-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Racer

Since you have a 2007, you should be fine with the reliability with the car. The early 04 have major problems. I have about 23000 miles and it's running perfectly without any major issues.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
the warranty on my 06 ended when it turned 18 months old( 5/08 w/50,000 miles) I had it serviced just before and no problems. It just went to 73,000 miles yesterday. The things fixed under warranty were: both foglights, one headlight, heating element in drivers seat, driver's seat covering, and some slight rattles. Excellent car even without the warranty.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Instructor

My previous two cars were Pontiacs. The first one was still in excellent condition when it was taken out of service at 18 years. The second one was driven to the junk yard when it turned 20 years old. So, I am expecting to get at least 9-10 years of good service out of the TSX. Honda as excellent reliability in comparison to others. IMO, the German cars have the lowest reliability; weather they are produced in Germany, the US, or elsewhere.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Unregistered User

So far the only issue that I had was the driver door's actuator. Otherwise no issues
Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Approaching 50,000. Very happy with reliability of car. Just minor things like door actuator and condensation in headlights. Both fixed under warranty. I love the car.

Last edited by Miamicarfan; 03-28-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
JimHolloman:

What year is your TSX?

How many miles do you have on it and are you planning to keep it for 18 to 20 years like your Pontiacs?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 AT non-nav with 54,000 miles

- headlight condensation, replaced under warranty, then had clips added per TSB
- center console lights went out, PCB replaced per TSB/recall
- A/C relay replaced under warranty ($4 part, not the big A/C issue)
- trunk release stopped working from a short in the system, replaced under warranty
- steering wheel vibration from brakes, replaced pads and rotors at my cost with aftermarket parts, no problem since

Overall it's been a very reliable car. However, I am concerned about the big A/C issue. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't happen to me now that my warranty is up. Being that this is mainly an '04 problem, your '07 should be fine.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Pro

For those of you that have had the door acuator issue, at what mileage did this occur? Does this tend to happen more towards the 50k mark, or is it very sparatic?

Lastly, how long does the door acuator issue take to resolve at the dealership? Is this an all day project/need a loaner car?

Thanks much!

Jeff
Old 03-28-2009, 11:23 PM
resident asshole

06 TSX... zero problems (40K)... i hope i didnt jinx it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by JLTSX07
For those of you that have had the door acuator issue, at what mileage did this occur? Does this tend to happen more towards the 50k mark, or is it very sparatic?

Lastly, how long does the door acuator issue take to resolve at the dealership? Is this an all day project/need a loaner car?

Thanks much!

Jeff

24k miles. Replacement is quick
Old 03-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 Navi 31,000 miles- Cracked foglights. Acura of San Monica won't fix under warranty.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Intermediate

06 TSX non-navi with 49K...no problems...till now.
just the battery has been replaced under warranty...was giving problems in the winter..

I did change the front rotors and brake pads(both) and did a transmission fluid change at 45K.

also I plan to buy the extended warranty on my car, which is $1300 before the 50K and $2400 if you buy after 50K miles.(may vary)
Old 03-29-2009, 03:16 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
replaced power steering rack to take care of groaning noise when wheel is turned at slow speeds - warranty repair

replaced driver's seat track/rail for "play" aka movement when taking off/slowing down - warranty repair
Old 03-29-2009, 07:09 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
2004 TSX+navi - 85,000 miles this past Friday.

Issues:
- Right at 15k miles - brake pulsation from crappy OEM rotors/pads. I had this problem with my CL-S every 15k miles on the dot. Went aftermarket (Thanks Mr. HeelToe!) and never had it again.
- At around 20k mi the driver's side door lock actuator had to be replaced (warranty)
- At around 30k mi, the center console lights went out (PCB issue, TSB work)
- Around 50k mi, Armrest gets jacked in some unexplainable way. The rear pops out and a plastic clip breaks in the front. Still broken (not fixed)
- Starting around 57k mi, a whoop sound from the AC. Left alone.
- At around 60k mi a clip broke, having an o2 sensor dangle under the car. They said it was not a warranty thing. I didn't fight it.
- At 80k miles they noticed a slight leak around the front axle. Nothing to the point where I'd see tranny fluid on the ground. Not yet fixed. ($~250). Will reassess this next oil change.
- Two times in 5 years - the center brake light has burnt out.

Overall, I'd call everything very minor after 5 years of ownership. I'm very happy with the car but look forward to selling it later on this year for something new for a change.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Race Director

almost 70,000 miles, at 69,464 miles right now, 04 TSX.

has had drivers seat replaced, cd changer replaced, storage bin door replaced, rear axle fixed, and the occasional warped rotors problem. other than that, the TSX is better than the 99 Accord I had.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
JimHolloman:

What year is your TSX?

How many miles do you have on it and are you planning to keep it for 18 to 20 years like your Pontiacs?
My first TSX was a 2004 and I had planned to keep it for a long time. But, with the redesign in 2009, I decided to go ahead and get the latest model of the 1st Gen. I wanted the slight increase in HP, the heated side mirrors, the enhanced MID with TPS, and a car with 44,000 fewer miles. My wife wanted the electric passenger seat. Furthermore, my 2004 had too many paint chips.
I didn't like the 2 Gen and would have looked outside of Acura if that is all that was available from Acura.

So, I now have a 2008. It has 9,000 miles and no paint chips. I am considering a clear bra before it gets paint chips but I currently have to be tight with my money because of the recession. My goal for the 2008 is at least 10 years and at least 140,000 miles. But, if it holds up I will likely keep it until I am no longer able to drive like a teenager (that is what my wife says I do). Cars with that many miles have no salvage value to speak of. I will then most likely get a small electric car and keep it until I can no longer drive safely. That's my current plans.

I am a big fan of the 1 Gen TSX. It is the perfect size for my needs. IMO, it offers the perfect balance of power, luxury, economy, safety, road manners, sportiness, comfort, styling, and reliability. The dealership could stand some improvement -- but probably not the car. Like an airplane, a car is always a compromise and a trade-off. And, I do like the balance that the 1 Gen TSX offers.

So, I have had the first model of the 1 Gen -- and I now proudly own the last model of the 1 Gen.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimHolloman
...My first TSX was a 2004 and I had planned to keep it for a long time...
The dealer replaced the seat cover on the 2004 under warranty because the inside markings (apparently markings for cutting the material) bleed through. Other than that, I changed oil, filters, and tires -- and nothing else. IOW, zero maintenance issues. At 44,000 miles the brakes looked like they were less than half worn -- but I don't use brakes much. No vibration or rotor issues at all -- smooth as silk every day I owned it. Thus, I have no complaints -- but that is how many complaints I expect to have with a new car. So, I stay away from those that require me to Buy More Warranty -- or else would Break My Wallet. Furthermore, I love FWD. I have had both FWD and RWD, and I consider FWD to be much safer. If I were to purchase a car for a teenager, it would have to have FWD.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Pro

Yeah, the TSX really is a great car! So far, I've been more than happy with my 07 TSX, but I've been really getting the itch to upgrade to an RDX. I think with the crappy Midwest winters we've been having, the RDX keeps looking more and more appealing. I have yet to drive an RDX, but from what I've read about it, and heard from others, it's a lot more fun to drive than the TSX. I guess at my next oil change I will go test drive one, hopefully I don't come home with it, LOL
Old 03-30-2009, 01:29 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Yeah, the TSX really is a great car! So far, I've been more than happy with my 07 TSX, but I've been really getting the itch to upgrade to an RDX. I think with the crappy Midwest winters we've been having, the RDX keeps looking more and more appealing. I have yet to drive an RDX, but from what I've read about it, and heard from others, it's a lot more fun to drive than the TSX. I guess at my next oil change I will go test drive one, hopefully I don't come home with it, LOL
When you were looking at the RDX in February why didn't you test drive it then. You seem to have had that itch since you owned the tsx. Time to scratch it. The only way you can find out if you like this suv is to drive it. Good luck on your decision.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Sales of the RDX has been less than satisfying for Acura. You might be able to get a really good deal.

I would be surprised if we see the K23 (turbo) engine used in any other vehicles -- at least in its current form.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
I've got 101k on my '04 TSX and the only problems I've had are...

60k - Drivers door actuator failed (extended warranty fix)
90k - A/C system failed (extended warranty fix).

Otherwise, it's been a fine car!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by einsatz
2004 TSX+navi - 85,000 miles this past Friday.

Issues:
- Right at 15k miles - brake pulsation from crappy OEM rotors/pads. I had this problem with my CL-S every 15k miles on the dot. Went aftermarket (Thanks Mr. HeelToe!) and never had it again.
- At around 20k mi the driver's side door lock actuator had to be replaced (warranty)
- At around 30k mi, the center console lights went out (PCB issue, TSB work)
- Around 50k mi, Armrest gets jacked in some unexplainable way. The rear pops out and a plastic clip breaks in the front. Still broken (not fixed)
- Starting around 57k mi, a whoop sound from the AC. Left alone.
- At around 60k mi a clip broke, having an o2 sensor dangle under the car. They said it was not a warranty thing. I didn't fight it.
- At 80k miles they noticed a slight leak around the front axle. Nothing to the point where I'd see tranny fluid on the ground. Not yet fixed. ($~250). Will reassess this next oil change.
- Two times in 5 years - the center brake light has burnt out.

Overall, I'd call everything very minor after 5 years of ownership. I'm very happy with the car but look forward to selling it later on this year for something new for a change.
I know you didn't fix it, but did you ever figure out what the whooping noise from the a/c is? Mine has it too and the dealer is unable to reproduce it.

08 5AT non navi. Just hit 20k a few weeks ago. Thus far no real issues.
- Whooping noise from a/c. Doesn't affect performance and dealer can't reproduce it.
- Got "Tighten Fuel Cap" message on MID. Car passed Evap test, dealer replaced gas cap seal.
- Front rotors warped about 19k miles. Its not bad now, may have them looked at when I take it in for next oil change.

Other than that its been perfect. I plan on keeping it until it dies. There's just nothing else out there that I would consider as an upgrade to it that's not hideously expensive.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
When you were looking at the RDX in February why didn't you test drive it then. You seem to have had that itch since you owned the tsx. Time to scratch it. The only way you can find out if you like this suv is to drive it. Good luck on your decision.
I agree, but like I've said, I will test drive one at my next oil change. I'm currently at 40%, so I still have awhile before I test drive it. Since the dealership is 40 minutes away, I just haven't found the time to go and test drive one for the heck of it. Anyway, I will definitely be driving one this summer.

Also, I know that one of the posters mentioned that the RDX's sales were down. I, too, have heard that. Do you think that Acura will ultimately (near future) discontinue the RDX?

Lastly, I will have to like the RDX A LOT to ditch the TSX. I really do enjoy driving the TSX, but if I could get TSX like performance (handling wise), plus a turbo engine and SH-AWD, why not upgrade?

Thanks again, guys!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^I like the RDX as well, but personally, its gonna take alot of car for the money to get me out of the TSX. I'm practically done paying for it, and I can see myself driving it for another couple of years unless maintenance becomes exorbitant.

Problems and issues:
-had the rear "creak" or popping sound. had it fixed after 2 trips to dealer at 5k miles (under warranty). Car is currently at 81k, and no creaking sound.

-other than that, my wife closed the garage on it and left a nasty gash on the bumper. Had it repainted at $250.

-All easy maintenance is done by me (oil change, tire rotation, brake pad changes, etc, etc.). Use synthetic oil, premium gas, and have ceramic brake pads. Still no problems, so I must be doing something right.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:42 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
2005 AT TSX
Regular oil changes synthetic at 4000-5000 miles
flushed fluids every 50k miles
flushed tranny fluid at every 30,000 miles

only problem i ran into was right upper control arm fell apart after so many pot holes, and one major pothole which bent the rim and aspec strut. Other than that no problems.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by litesout
I know you didn't fix it, but did you ever figure out what the whooping noise from the a/c is? Mine has it too and the dealer is unable to reproduce it.
The words "whoop sound" were a link to the thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675749

Post #22 on that thread tells you what it is
Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
7th Gear

I have a 05 non-Navi TSX, 48000 miles. The only issues that I have had was a bad battery and the acctuator on the front passenger door lock went out. Both fixed under warranty. Love the TSX.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by einsatz
The words "whoop sound" were a link to the thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675749

Post #22 on that thread tells you what it is
Awesome! Thanks! I've tried to search before I couldn't figure out what to call it. Now that I see it, I guess whoop is the best word
Old 03-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 6MT NAV.

Creaky moonroof - fixed under warranty
Rattle in steering column - not a biggie, didn't report it
Clicking sound when depressing clutch pedal - didn't report it
Mic doesn't pick up my voice for BT and voice commands - dealer could not duplicate
Passenger power seat chain noise when going forward/reverse - will report on next visit
Old 04-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Race Director

Just hit 70K today and I just always notice that whenever I turn hard, the seat also moves, which annoys me sometimes. I had Acura fix it back when it had 30K miles, but I will just live with it cause I am no longer under warranty at all.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Modding newbie

I have a 2006 TSX and have had a few issues. Someone hit me in a parking lot and did a little over 3 grand worth of damage! That cost me my 500 deductable I also managed to have a fog light taken out by a tire that exploded next to me on the interstate. That's going to cost a few bucks. Thirdly, the paint is kinda thin and I seem to have rock chips all over the bumper and hood so I'll have it repainted soon and have a clear bra put on it so it doesn't happen again.
Other than that, no issues so far.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Modding newbie

Oh and I just hit 50,000 miles
Old 04-13-2009, 06:56 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Mokos23
Just hit 70K today and I just always notice that whenever I turn hard, the seat also moves, which annoys me sometimes. I had Acura fix it back when it had 30K miles, but I will just live with it cause I am no longer under warranty at all.
Congrats. My tsx is waiting for you to catch up- It is in my mom's garage in NJ and I am driving her 08 accord. I will be driving my tsx again on Friday- You only have 3,000 miles to go but that will change.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Coming from a 1994 Q45T the car is s-l-o-w! It's peppy enough but I miss the bags of torque. I don't miss 13MPG in the city.

2004 AT/NAVI 95,500. I think its an early make because of the green light around the key ignition. I bought an extended warranty with it at 79k. I'm hoping the AC will shear off in that time. Otherwise I will piece meal fix it. It's such a toy to work on compared to the V8 I did have. I get 33.x mpg on all highway trips.

The window creaks are subdued by ever so slightly tapping on the window buttons so they go down 1mm. That makes them quiet over the roughest bumps.

The PCB board for the HVAC lights was replaced by previous owner.

I put new discs up front and replaced all the brake pads when I got it. It's very smooth in braking.

Running Amsoil in the engine and up to my first filter change now.

It's reliable in every way so far!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
Congrats. My tsx is waiting for you to catch up- It is in my mom's garage in NJ and I am driving her 08 accord. I will be driving my tsx again on Friday- You only have 3,000 miles to go but that will change.
yeah right, but i am at 70,120. is the 08 Accord stickshift too?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Mokos23
yeah right, but i am at 70,120. is the 08 Accord stickshift too?
NO-which makes me miss my tsx even more. My mom only drives about 10miles at the most in a day. (not good on a car) I give the car a work-out.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:44 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

86,000 miles on my 2004 TSX, problems have been driver's and passenger's lock actuators replaced (by me, cost about $50). That's it. The first-gen, imho, is the best.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Instructor

I have an 07 too, and I don't think there's much to worry about. I have it at 19k and the only issue was that the driver seat squeaks. They fixed it, and it has returned, but not as bad or noticable.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Instructor

I read this thread yesterday before lunch, and almost posted a response that my '04 (~74k miles) had been bulletproof except for one battery, and one window seal. While at lunch, the A/C compressor blew, so now I'm with a bunch of you '04 owners who are hot over this expensive ($2600) and common repair. Needless to say, I'm negotiating with Honda for some assistance, since this is a well known problem. We'll see. In 36 years of owning cars, this is the most expensive single repair I've ever had. !#$%^&***&!

Quick Reply: TSX reliability (currently)