TSX driving feel

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:56 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX driving feel

Hi guys,

I've been looking into getting my first car and have the 06-08 TSX picked out as a top contender based on some initial research--in particular, how it is widely praised for great steering and handling.

I went to the dealership yesterday to test drive an 07 TSX with 84k mi and what I experienced was totally unexpected. The steering felt really heavy and just not confidence-inspiring when going around twisty roads. Being a sport sedan, I knew to expect a firm ride but this was definitely harsh...the dealership's lot has small plastic speed bumps and driving over them jarred the tires and body pretty strongly.

I admit that I haven't driven many cars in my life, so I don't have much to compare to, but is this a normal description of the TSX driving feel? I drove a 1G RDX just for fun afterwards and the difference was like night and day.

Looking for anyone's !
Old 04-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by oakridge
Hi guys,

I've been looking into getting my first car and have the 06-08 TSX picked out as a top contender based on some initial research--in particular, how it is widely praised for great steering and handling.

I went to the dealership yesterday to test drive an 07 TSX with 84k mi and what I experienced was totally unexpected. The steering felt really heavy and just not confidence-inspiring when going around twisty roads. Being a sport sedan, I knew to expect a firm ride but this was definitely harsh...the dealership's lot has small plastic speed bumps and driving over them jarred the tires and body pretty strongly.

I admit that I haven't driven many cars in my life, so I don't have much to compare to, but is this a normal description of the TSX driving feel? I drove a 1G RDX just for fun afterwards and the difference was like night and day.

Looking for anyone's !
Unfortunately, steering feel and "ride and handling" are probably the two most subjective things when it come to evaluating a new (to you) car. What you describe sounds a little harsh (no pun intended), and not the way a 1st gen TSX should act (I have an 07 and my opinion would probably be the opposite of yours). A 2007 model with 84K miles should still feel fairly fresh unless it was abused or driven on the moon is whole life. This is reinforced by what you found driving an older RDX. You may want to bypass the 07.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-13-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 08:11 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
My 06 with A-spec suspension+Progress RSB still rides like new with almost 120,000 miles. I did have to add a front/rear camber kit to replace worn parts and get the rears into spec. Having +84,000 miles on the 07 TSX could be various reason for an uninspiring ride:
- wrong type of tires
- over/under inflated tires
- out of alignment
- worn suspension parts (shocks, struts, tie rod, control arm, etc..)
- TSX might have been in an accident and not repaired correctly
- not use to the TSX handling characteristics

I also have a 1G RDX (eibach springs+progress RSB) and the TSX does feel a little smoother on the road compared to the RDX. I can take the corner a little harder in the RDX because of the sh-awd; but, the TSX overall has the better everyday commuter ride with occasional hard corning when needed.

I would find another TSX (04-08) and take it for a test drive just to make sure it is the car not you.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
remember, it is a sports sedan, so it does have a "stiffer" ride than most other sedans.

However; like simba mentioned, ride preference is very subjective!!!!!!
what you may find overly stiff, i might find comfortable.

agreed with both mrgold and simba, test drive MULTIPLE TSX's. dont settle on just one....

drive lots of them
Old 04-13-2015, 09:30 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for the input. I guess I didn't expect the car to drive that way because it had pretty good maintenance records, so I suspected that it might be me and not the car. Unfortunately, there aren't many TSXs from those years in my area so it's time to play the waiting game.

On an unrelated note, the turbo and SH-AWD in the RDX make for super fun driving. Choices, choices....
Old 04-13-2015, 12:06 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by oakridge
On an unrelated note, the turbo and SH-AWD in the RDX make for super fun driving. Choices, choices....
My I love driving my RDX waaaay more than my TSX. The extra power, sh-awd, higher/more comfortable seating position, better 360 visibility, extra space front/back/hatch, shorter length which makes it easier to drive/park, and all weather capabilities really make it a perfect commuter car. I added a roof rack and hitch for short trips out of town. The only downsides with the RDX is crappy mpgs (about 17-19 mpg average compared to 25-27 mpg avg with TSX), a little more stiffer ride, and more road noise than the TSX.

The RDX is pretty much a TSX with sh-awd, extra room and more power.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Lets be real here. Stock TSX's ride like shit. The steering is the traditional hydraulic type....so maybe that's something you're not used to.

Tires and decent dampers/coilovers do wonders for the car. A lot of aftermarket coilovers ride better than stock.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:37 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came to my used 07 with 94K straight from a totalled Audi A4 Quattro that I dearly loved and loved to drive. I'll admit I too was underwhelmed with the Acura at first but grew to love it and still do at 189K. It's not a Quattro but it's a fine car in it's own right and once you learn to drive it and it learns your driving habits you'll agree.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-15-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I think there was something wrong with the 07 you test drove. I've had my 08 for 7 years and 125k miles and it feels great. The ride is harsher than a Camry or a Sonata, but not jarring. Steering is a bit heavier than the aforementioned cars, but there's a lot more road feel coming back through than steering wheel too. Personally, I think its very confidence inspiring. I can tell by the feedback the condition of the road and when I'm approaching the limit of grip in the corners. Honestly, the great feel of the TSX is the main reason I still drive it. I could've traded it in long ago, but its been such a great car I just can't justify it.