remote start with factory remote

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 10:38 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
remote start with factory remote

I know there are many threads about this subject, but I wanted to know if there was a way to get the remote start feature integrated into the factory remote. I remember reading somewhere, and I am not sure if its this forum or another (i browse the bmw forum for my x5), that there is a way to do it without give up any factory functions. Something about pushing unlock 3-5 times or something along those lines. I like the way the factory remote looks compared to the other ones, and i am not sure if the one with the paging system is significantly thincker. (i am trying to minimize the bulky-ness, hence why i don't want to carry 2 remotes)
Old 10-12-2004, 10:54 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Directed makes a standalone remote start that can be programmed to work with 2 or 3 pulses. The intent is to wire it to the lock wire of the OE keyless entry system and use multiple lock pulses. You'll still hear the honk, though. It might be possible to get rid of the honk with a relay that breaks the horn OP when locking - ask your installer if they feel capable.

So, yes, it can be done. DEI PN 561T.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:52 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

does our factory alarm have an auxiliary output that is needed? Also i am sure with your knowledge of electronics, you know how the Immobilizer Bypass Modules work. Will it still not start the car if someone breaks in and i never hit the remote start?

Looks pretty interesting if some how I could get it to be installed with the unlock instead of the lock button.

One more question for you elduderino, is there a way to buy one of those LCD remotes to work with the factory alarm and this 561T unit and not install and aftermarket alarm system. So basically, if i bought the optional LCD remote with the 561T unit, can i replace the factory remote with the LCD remote?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:37 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by yuhoo22
does our factory alarm have an auxiliary output that is needed?
No, it works off of the lock OP for that reason.

Also i am sure with your knowledge of electronics, you know how the Immobilizer Bypass Modules work. Will it still not start the car if someone breaks in and i never hit the remote start?
This has nothing to do with the Immobilizer... if the remote start (at least the Directed remote start) is running the engine and someone gets in, they have to step on the engine to get out of gear... BUT, the brake kills the engine whenever the remote start is operating - so a car can't be stolen just because a remote start is operating (this assumes you have a 5AT).

You will need the Immobilizer bypass (DEI 555u I think).

One more question for you elduderino, is there a way to buy one of those LCD remotes to work with the factory alarm and this 561T unit and not install and aftermarket alarm system. So basically, if i bought the optional LCD remote with the 561T unit, can i replace the factory remote with the LCD remote?
It is possible to replace the OE keyless remote system with an aftermarket keyless remote system... HOWEVER, I have never seen a keyless-only system that had the 2-way remote... perhaps they exist, but I suspect that if you have no alarm, what's the 2-way pager remote for? There's not much for the LCD to tell you! (There's no reliable way to know if the factory alarm is sounding other than tying to the horn wire, and you still don't know WHY).
Old 10-13-2004, 12:15 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Thanks for the response.

This has nothing to do with the Immobilizer... if the remote start (at least the Directed remote start) is running the engine and someone gets in, they have to step on the engine to get out of gear... BUT, the brake kills the engine whenever the remote start is operating - so a car can't be stolen just because a remote start is operating (this assumes you have a 5AT).
What I meant was if someone breaks into my car at night, the immobilizer bypass doesn't let them start the car by say hot wiring it. I just want to know if there are any negatives to the bypass module. I am almost positive it doesn't, but i minds well ask before I try and find an installer.

I was just looking to get the LCD remote to get notification that the car started like in the systems with the alarm and remote starter.

Thanks for all your knowledge on the subject. rep points coming to you.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:52 PM
VP Electricity

The remote start has an output that is active when the remote start is triggered.

If that wire is active, then the Immobilizer-bypass is enabled.

If your car uses a "universal" bypass adapter that incorprates a "spare" or valet key, then technically there is some vulnerability in that there is now a key in the car that can be found (depending on installation). A thief with time could find the key.

With any bypass adapter it's technically possible to rewire it to fool the key. It takes tons of time, and after you still need to pop the ignition to get past the steering lock... but it is indeed technically possible (although highly unlikely).
Old 10-13-2004, 04:56 PM
VP Electricity

ALERT! ALERT! I WAS WRONG!

Viper has a 2-way LCD pager-remote remote-start keyless entry unit - Viper 591XV.

http://www.directed.com/security/vip..._responder.asp (scroll down)

Got this from a bud at Directed.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:53 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Thanks for the information. This system should help with the range problem I was concerned about with the factory remote.....considering i have terrible range with the factory remote.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:36 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone got this done yet? I just want to add remote start to my car and don't want to spend too much money. Was wondering how complicated is it to get this done and how much would it cost? I live in the Bay Area any suggestions of where I could get this done? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
ok its been too cold these last couple mornings in boston and it sucks having to wait for my baby to warm up...hell its snowing outside right now...

anyone have any success using the stock remote or is it the general concensus to get a aftermarket remote which will also improve upon the range when starting...