Possibly Upgrading cars soon Need Opinions: 2007 TL vs RL

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 11:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possibly Upgrading cars soon Need Opinions: 2007 TL vs RL

I didn't mean to post 2 diffrent threads this frequently, but my other one is so long on and on a diffrent topic, I wanted to make a diffrent one. Ok here's the deal. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I may be giving my TSX to my brother because he is getting a loan and wants my car from me. Now I love my car, but we live at the same house so I can still drive it. I also would want him in something that's reliable and get him to school & work everyday. Now the thing is I want to stay with Acura due to the great experience I am having with my car. I test drove an RL, I love the features it has and the SH-AWD system is amazing. The steering has decent feel, but not as good as the TSX. It also depreciated so bad that it's almost the same price as the TSX. The styling is decent, but they are rare. The power is decent. its not quick and peppy like the TSX, but more of a smooth powerband. The gas mileage is questionable. I'm also looking at the Acura TL or TL-S 07 or newer. I love the sound of the V-Tec V6 I like the fact that it's fast and get good gas mileage for it's size, but it seems like it has the same features as the TSX just bigger. I've yet to test drive one, but I heard it had massive torque steer. Can anyone chime in on that for me? My last option is to get a 2007 or newer 6-speed TSX . But what do you guys think. TL or RL share your opinions
Old 11-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
It's really up to what you want from a car. If you do a lot of long distance cruising, or if you want a plusher ride, then you should go with the RL. I'd say that the TL is quite a bit sportier, although not as luxurious. Also, Acura sold a million TLs, so they're not quite as unique, but most people don't really care how rare their car is. The TL will definitely be better on gas, but the RL has more power... I'd probably go with the RL myself, just because it's a bit different, but the TL is probably more well rounded as far as fuel economy, sport and luxury balance goes.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
There are a few Acura vehicles that fall within the same price range of the 07/08 type S TL $18,000 to $22,000 price range (depends on mileage):
07-11 RDX
09-10 TL (FWD and sh-awd)
2013 ILX 6MT 2.4L
2009-2013 TSX
2010-2011 ZDX

I've had my 06 5AT TSX since new and love this car. The only complaint is lack of HP when you really need it like passing or powering out of a corner. I never had this complaint with my RDX or MDX because of the turbo or V-6. If you love to push your vehicle hard in the corners; sh-awd is a great way to get more out of your vehicle. The RDX/RL/ZDX would be a unique vehicle for the road, power, and sh-awd. The RDX would have a higher sale price; but, the RL/ZDX will have more standard features/luxury/tech (all about the same mpgs, RL a little better). If you perfer a sedan, an 305HP 09-10 TL sh-awd is almost the same price as a 286HP 07-08 TL type-s.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
both the RL and the TL are different vehicles.

it depends on what you want out of a vehicle.
the RL is the flagship BMW 7 series fighter.

while the TL is a 3 series fighter

what do you want out of the vehicle?
a luxurious touring car?

or a sporty more fun car?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justnspace
both the RL and the TL are different vehicles.

it depends on what you want out of a vehicle.
the RL is the flagship BMW 7 series fighter.

while the TL is a 3 series fighter

what do you want out of the vehicle?
a luxurious touring car?

or a sporty more fun car?
The TL is the size of 5 series 'fighter'. TSX is a 3 series 'fighter'
Just saying
Old 12-05-2014, 01:07 AM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Just putting my two cents in here. I've been in both an RL and TL of this vintage and have to say the RL feels like a more solid car. With that said, the TL still looks really sharp and quite modern, especially in type s trim, it would be a tough choice for me. Also, the TL should get much better mpg.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry for thr late response, been busy with work. I test drove every car in my budget, but I cant find anything that suits my needs that the TSX gives me. Ive test driven: 08 g35x and g37 coupe (design is okay, but interior quality is subpar), bmw 330ci (loved the handling and smoothness, but reliability worries me), and the Acura RL has a very nice interior, but it just lacks the feel I had in the TSX. The only car that I like over my TSX is the 06 G35 coupe. I found a 06 G35 W/ 53k miles. Its been my dream car, but i could never afford it. The 06 Ginterior update is light years ahead of the 04 G interior. Its well put together, but i have to say that the TSX has it by a little.

It drove and handled very well. Power was awesome, gobs of torque. It also has bluetooth which is a plus. But im losing options like navigation and sat radio.

The one thing i didnt like was the transmission. The G35 AUTO trans shifts slow. Im guess im used to the quick shifting of the TSX. Other than that it seems like a good upgrade from the TSX, plus its RWD and i like that. I didnt really want to go fwd again unless the handling was neutral. I like to stick my butt out sometimes lol.

This MAY be my next car if everything goes as planned, but if it doesnt go through Im going to try the RL one more time. However the great thing is I can still drive the tsx if I want to.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:43 AM
mrgold35

You can always look for the RL and upgrade the suspension to A-spec? I did the A-spec on my TSX and added progress RSB and that improved the TSX already outstanding handling. I like the OEM A-spec because it is a direct fit, the ride feels stock in normal driving, only lowers about 1 inch all around on my TSX (no curb/bumper/speed hump issues), and it feels so much better when the road gets twisty.

I would have no problem picking an RL with 100,000 miles over another brand with 75,000 miles.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DroidDonTSX
My last option is to get a 2007 or newer 6-speed TSX . But what do you guys think.
I would do this. Get the newer 1G TSX, with a 6 speed. It will have the bluetooth you liked in the 06 G35, (I love that feature, with voice activated dialing, etc.)...and it will also have a whole slew of other feature upgrades over the 04-05 TSX.

Getting the A-spec suspension for the TSX is a fun addition, as MrGold mentioned for the RL. (BTW, if don't want to go that far, the 6 speed TSX has already has a thicker rear sway bar than the auto version. 19 mm vs. 17 mm.)

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 12-11-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Cruisin'

Made my decision:
I ended up picking up the 06 G35 W/ 53k. I am not going to lie when I bought the car and drove it home, I had a severe case of buyers remorse. I lost all my features i loved: Driver Info center, and navi so that really hurt me. Also the ride was very wallowy (boat like). All the way home, I kept saying things in my head like: "why did i make this decision" "I miss my TSX"

However, I went home and showed my family and they loved it. My dad (who wanted me to get the g37 coupe) said it looked better. So after thinking for a while. I went back into my G and it started growing on me and I liked the orange backlit dash. Then I went out and checked the tire pressure and found that all tires had less than 20 psi!!!! (&#128561

So after pumping all tires to 38psi. I went for a sprited test drive. And I starting to fall on love with it. It handle just as well as the TSX around corners (though the TSX steering is more weighted) and then I put the foot down and it just put me back in my seat. After feel the rush and the sound of the VQ35DE engine, my remore was gone. I may not have all my feature I had in the TSX, but The good thing though i do have is a 6cd MP3 changer so and the bose sound system is amazing.

Overall I think i made a good upgrade and I still have the TSX to drive if i want to get a different feel.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:26 PM
mrgold35

Congrats on the new ride!!!

Some extra HP is a good cure for buyer's remorse.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by PFloyd
The TL is the size of 5 series 'fighter'. TSX is a 3 series 'fighter'
Just saying
who said anything about size?

in context, I was comparing them to driving styles.
the RL will be the boat
and the TL will be the more agile one.