Lease Deals

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lease Deals

I'm in the market for a new car since my lease is up in about a month. I was quoted an '08 TSX for $300/month for 12K miles/yr. Does that sounds like a decent deal?

I also went to look at an A4, and I have to say that I much prefer the driving characteristics of the TSX over the A4. The TSX just feels much tighter, and actually feels faster even if it does lack the A4 a few tenths. And as to no surprise the Audi's clutch sucked in comparison. I don't think I would ever be able to get used to it. I was quoted $385 for an '08 A4 2.0T 'special addition' - basically the s-line body and upgraded rims. To me the only real difference in mechanicals is AWD, and to me it's not worth the extra $85 a month.

Any other opinions on possible alternatives to my 05 TSX?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Monthly payments are one place to start the comparison, but what about the drive-off amounts? I think that the TSX has a $1999 cap cost reduction on the lease while the A4 requires a bit more up front and is only at 10k annual mileage lease.

Make sure you get full details before you make a decision. Don't focus so much on the monthly payments that you lose the big picture.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. The $300/mo for the TSX includes $2000 down (i believe) for 12k mi/yr. I'm thinking it's def worth it considering I'm paying more for my 05, plus I can probably get them to throw in a Nav.

The A4 is $385/mo with more money due at signing, and not as many goodies. They try to sell you on the AWD and how it's 'much safer', but of course they don't have the objective evidence to back that up, and half the time I know more than the salesman.

I was considering an SI, but I feel like I'd miss the refinement of the TSX, especially the leather interior. I've never had a car without leather (not to sound pretentious) so I'm not sure if the right time to start is now. I figure why not upgrade than downgrade for less cost...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Icculus
Thanks for the advice. The $300/mo for the TSX includes $2000 down (i believe) for 12k mi/yr. I'm thinking it's def worth it considering I'm paying more for my 05, plus I can probably get them to throw in a Nav.

The A4 is $385/mo with more money due at signing, and not as many goodies. They try to sell you on the AWD and how it's 'much safer', but of course they don't have the objective evidence to back that up, and half the time I know more than the salesman.

I was considering an SI, but I feel like I'd miss the refinement of the TSX, especially the leather interior. I've never had a car without leather (not to sound pretentious) so I'm not sure if the right time to start is now. I figure why not upgrade than downgrade for less cost...
Well, then skip the Audi. Honestly, I was surprised at how poor the lease residuals are on the A4 compared with the TSX (several points different) especially given how much more the Audi costs to start with.

If you are going to move, you might want to make the move soon since the selection gets smaller by the day, especially as dealers are moving to clear 08s off the lot for the 09s.

As for the Si, don't rule it out just yet. I checked out the Si and it's really quite good, even from a refinement standpoint. It's a small hit in refinement, equipment, and overall style, but you get a very similar car with slightly better performance.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 TSX 6 speed Manual W/Nav

I got a very similar deal, in NJ as well. Have yet to take delivery, hopefully Thursday. Initially wanted without Nav, but there was only 1 6Speed Manual in four states with the color I wanted (Carbon Pearl Gray); someone scooped it up last Saturday. That deal was $337/mo, $2K down and 15K miles. Dealer located same vehicle but with Nav--new lease deal, $347/mo, $2K down and 12K miles. I'm happy with it, it's my first time leasing and I'm sure I'll do better the next time around. It's the only way I could afford this car. I can't wait to get it!
Old 04-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Instructor

i donno, audi is very nice, thou i heard lots of bashing, its a great car, and the AWD is great. saw a good deal on the A4 2.0T for 359 mo with 999 down plus tax, id think you can do even better.
and the 08 tsx are going real cheap now, you can brobly buy one for like 27K no navi, the lease they offer now is 299 mo with 1295 down i think.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:28 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by mstylady
I got a very similar deal, in NJ as well. Have yet to take delivery, hopefully Thursday. Initially wanted without Nav, but there was only 1 6Speed Manual in four states with the color I wanted (Carbon Pearl Gray); someone scooped it up last Saturday. That deal was $337/mo, $2K down and 15K miles. Dealer located same vehicle but with Nav--new lease deal, $347/mo, $2K down and 12K miles. I'm happy with it, it's my first time leasing and I'm sure I'll do better the next time around. It's the only way I could afford this car. I can't wait to get it!
what part of jersey are you from?
Hope you enjoy your 08 6MT w nav as much as I love my 06 6MT Milano red/ebony tsx w/nav. I bought mine new, 11/17/06. It now has 43,000+ miles. The only complaint is the lousy paint-chips very easy. Leasing would not work for me-drive too much (love it)
Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Like you I was at the same boat last year except I wasn't coming off a Lease and was not trying to get a lease. When I say the same boat, I'm talking about debating If I should get a SI, A4 or a TSX, I went and test drove every single cars and looked at the whole scenario in depth, Money wise, I was going with the SI but then again I have a wife that did not want me to drive MT because she didn't know how to. Safetywise, The A4 is AWD and you cannot go wrong with that regardless if they can't prove there point. My brother had an A6 and He drove the heck out of it in the snow days here in the North East. But moneywise, The A4 was just too much not mentioning for 33 to 34thou will only get you the base model w/o the heated seats, Navi, etc. The only reason i kept going back and fourth with that and the TSX was because I was also looking at the S-line which was a very "NICE" car. Now, We go to "MY" TSX which I only got for 27K with "5" miles and everything on it. Blue Tooth, Voice recognition, memory/heated seats, Navi, 6 disc CD changer, leather and 17" alloys etc. With all the amenities the TSX offers it really stands out between the SI and the A4!!!!! thats my 2 cents
Old 04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by super4
i donno, audi is very nice, thou i heard lots of bashing, its a great car, and the AWD is great. saw a good deal on the A4 2.0T for 359 mo with 999 down plus tax, id think you can do even better.
and the 08 tsx are going real cheap now, you can brobly buy one for like 27K no navi, the lease they offer now is 299 mo with 1295 down i think.
Here are the terms on the current A4 lease:

Originally Posted by Audi USA
2008 A4 2.0T quattro
$379 per month
36-month lease*
---------------------------------------------------
Down payment $999
Security deposit $0
Acquisition fee $575
First month payment $379
---------------------------------------------------
Amount due at lease inception $1,953

Excludes taxes, title and dealer fees. See dealer for details.

*36-mo. closed-end lease offered to qualified customers by Audi Financial Services through participating dealers. Must take delivery by 5/2/2008. Rate based on $34,375 MSRP of 2008 Audi A4 2.0 T with Automatic Transmission, premium package, heated front seats and destination charge. Purchase option at lease end for $18,562.

Required dealer contribution could affect final negotiated transaction. Lessee responsible for insurance and may have some financial liability at lease end. Lessee responsible for $0.25/mile over 10,000 miles per year and a disposition fee of $350 due at lease end. See dealer for details. Refundable security deposit return subject to excess mileage and wear charges. For details, consult your Audi Financial Services contract.
Even at that price, there are a lot things missing such as the Nav, bluetooth, sport suspension, etc. Plus, it is only for the AT transmission.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
what part of jersey are you from?
Hope you enjoy your 08 6MT w nav as much as I love my 06 6MT Milano red/ebony tsx w/nav. I bought mine new, 11/17/06. It now has 43,000+ miles. The only complaint is the lousy paint-chips very easy. Leasing would not work for me-drive too much (love it)
nj2pa2nc,
I live in Essex County and work in Morris County. Picked up the car last Thursday. I admit it's taking me some getting used to on the 6speed; last drove a 5speed and in between was driving an automatic for a few years. No problems shifting down while city driving, but highway driving taking a little longer to get the smooth shift. Other than that and slight vibration from the brake pedal while braking, I LOVE THIS CAR! So happy I went with it (originally was going for the new Accord).
Old 04-15-2008, 07:14 AM
it's a car-drive it

nj2pa2nc,
I live in Essex County and work in Morris County. Picked up the car last Thursday. I admit it's taking me some getting used to on the 6speed; last drove a 5speed and in between was driving an automatic for a few years. No problems shifting down while city driving, but highway driving taking a little longer to get the smooth shift. Other than that and slight vibration from the brake pedal while braking, I LOVE THIS CAR! So happy I went with it (originally was going for the new Accord).
My father and husband both were born and raised in Essex County (Bloomfield)
I am a Bergen County native.
We also own a 05 5MT hyundai elantra GT and a 07 6MT Mitsubishi Raider Truck. My husband uses the hyundai as his commuter car. On weekends he drives my tsx or the truck. He sometimes forgets about #6.
My mom has an 08 mystic green accord v-6. I prefer the tsx-more goodies and MT.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Cruisin'

I'm actually a Bergen County native as well! Moved away from NJ and when I came back started living in Essex County (Belleville). I have forgotten about #6 once or twice too
Old 04-15-2008, 08:33 AM
it's a car-drive it

I'm actually a Bergen County native as well! Moved away from NJ and when I came back started living in Essex County (Belleville). I have forgotten about #6 once or twice too
I was born in Hackensack, lived in New Milford and Demarest. Forgetting #6 is better than trying to use it and it is not there. (Only happened once-caught in time)
Old 04-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Destrejc
Like you I was at the same boat last year except I wasn't coming off a Lease and was not trying to get a lease. When I say the same boat, I'm talking about debating If I should get a SI, A4 or a TSX, I went and test drove every single cars and looked at the whole scenario in depth...
Thanks for all of the advice everybody. I'll take all your info into account as I mull over my future decision. As you all know, at this point it’s pretty much between a TSX, Si (to save money), and I’ve added the VW GLI into the equation. It’s not a car I had originally considered, but one day it popped into mind and I thought it would be a perfect comparo – especially considering the GTI was compared with the Si, and the GLI was compared with the TSX by Car and Driver. In this case the GLI actually won the comparison based on performance numbers.

As of now I’m leaning towards the TSX again because it’s a flat out better deal financially. But my only reluctance is the fact that I’ll be driving (basically) the same car for 6 years in a row (+ a few extra goodies), and the performance numbers are better in a GLI. Like I mentioned before, I was quoted $300/mo ($337 w/ navi) and $2000 down for a 6MT TSX, while $300/mo and $3300 down for the GLI. VW sign and drive is actually $385 a month with $0 down, which translates into a 36 month savings of $300 over the $300/$3300 deal, although higher monthly payment. All together the VW will be more expensive and has less ‘goodies.’ At this point I’m debating between luxury/looks (TSX) vs. performance/change of pace (GLI). I don’t have leasing information for the Si yet, but for some reason I don’t think I’d be entirely happy in coming from the TSX.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Instructor

I failed to mention that I test drove a 6MT GLI. I must say that the driving characteristics are very similar when it comes to handling, noise, speed (not to be confused with acceleration). From the brief test drive I wasn’t able to definitively tell that the GLI accelerates quicker and handles better (as I’ve read), but I plan on going again sometime soon. However, the turbo engine is a completely different feel; while the Acura builds power/torque over the rev range, the VW’s acceleration is constant and actually falls off a little a higher revs (It is true when they say there’s no turbo lag in this engine - I’ve had experience with the 1.8T’s of Audi’s and VW’s of yore, and it was quite unpleasant). Because of this (again from my limited experience in the GLI) the Acura actually feels quicker since it delivers more of a rush as the revs climb (not to mention definitely sounds sweeter). Anyway, these are all very initial impressions and I plan to test drive the GLI again.