How do you get past the firewall for fog light install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation How do you get past the firewall for fog light install

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of adding some HID fog lights to my 04 TSX. I worked on it all today and got the wiring through the engine bay (through the relay and down to the fog lights) and put the ballasts in. My only problem now is doing the wiring through the firewall from the switch to the relay.

Does anybody know how to do this? The instructions for it aren't very good. Also, how do you take out the lower dashboard cover right under the steering wheel? Please Help!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to get some wires through the firewall on my '06 TSX as well and hope someone can help out.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well, I used a thin, sharp metal stick (cooking apparatus is what I used, ha), e-taped the wire to it, poked through the rubber grommet, and then fished it out the other side. This is the best way to do it if you accept poking a tiny hole in the rubber. I get no weather seal problems like a draft or anything bc its rubber and it molds around the wire and seals pretty good. Do not run the wire along side of the grommet like lots of people tend to think is okay. Over time, the chassis metal touching the wire could very easily rub through and cause a short. If you poke through the rubber part like I said, then there will be only rubber touching the wire.

The grommet I'm talking about is on the driver side in the footwell area. You'll see the large loom going to it. On the outside, its behind the brake fluid container but to the left more toward the driver side (kind of hard to reach, but not impossible).

The lower dash board cover under the steering wheel has one screw to take out. I don't have a pic of where, but its such a small piece that you'll find it. Its the only screw on that piece, and it faces the ground so the screwdriver will be pointing upward while unscrewing. That should help you zoom in on it. After removing the screw, I just carefully pop it off starting at the thinner top parts. Then I pull the bottom off. My camera just stopped working, so I can't take any pictures until I get it working or a new one.

Good luck
Old 04-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with aCUREa on this one. Did exactly what he described. It's a little tricky but it's the best way to do it.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aCUREa
well, I used a thin, sharp metal stick (cooking apparatus is what I used, ha), e-taped the wire to it, poked through the rubber grommet, and then fished it out the other side. This is the best way to do it if you accept poking a tiny hole in the rubber. I get no weather seal problems like a draft or anything bc its rubber and it molds around the wire and seals pretty good. Do not run the wire along side of the grommet like lots of people tend to think is okay. Over time, the chassis metal touching the wire could very easily rub through and cause a short. If you poke through the rubber part like I said, then there will be only rubber touching the wire.

The grommet I'm talking about is on the driver side in the footwell area. You'll see the large loom going to it. On the outside, its behind the brake fluid container but to the left more toward the driver side (kind of hard to reach, but not impossible).

The lower dash board cover under the steering wheel has one screw to take out. I don't have a pic of where, but its such a small piece that you'll find it. Its the only screw on that piece, and it faces the ground so the screwdriver will be pointing upward while unscrewing. That should help you zoom in on it. After removing the screw, I just carefully pop it off starting at the thinner top parts. Then I pull the bottom off. My camera just stopped working, so I can't take any pictures until I get it working or a new one.

Good luck
Thanks for the replies! I'll go with that.

The person who I bought the car from put some fog lights in before, and routed some hardcore big wire along the drivers side of the car, from the inside of the engine bay (like near the fusebox), and around the side like literally right on the of the body panel. And into the car. Do you guys think it would be ok if I just tapped into that wire, or just I just do my own through the grommet in the engine bay?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^if it acts as the input your circuit needs (turns on/off when you need), then it'll work fine. BUT you'll likely have to use an inline fuse