Hose off the main air hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hose off the main air hose

I like to do some maintenance myself on my 07 TSX, but I usually take it to the dealer for oil changes. When I was at the dealer last week, they mentioned the air cleaner element and the cabin air filter were dirty, and they offered to replace both for $150. I've replaced both before so I ordered new filters online and replaced them today.

When I replaced the air cleaner element and was screwing down the top of the air filter box, I noticed one of the hoses that connects to the main air hose was not connected. I'm pretty sure I didn't disconnect it accidentally, so I wonder if it's been disconnected ever since the dealer checked the air cleaner element last week.

Its the rectangular connector just above the main air hose in the center of this picture:

The rectangular piece has two connectors that fit into connectors in the main air hose. I reconnected them, as you can see in the picture. What is this hose and is it OK that it was disconnected for at least a week, and maybe longer?

Thanks,
Larry
Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Assuming you mean the short aluminum looking L pipe that connects to the head via a short rubber line and two clamps and the rectangular piece that feeds into the intake hose, it's called the "breather pipe". It seems to be a pressure relief for the cylinder head and is likely a EGR component. Ifthis is the case, (someone will certainly know for sure) the worst that should have happened is some oily stain under your hood.

The lower, "second", one is likely the vacuum hose.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:54 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
Assuming you mean the short aluminum looking L pipe that connects to the head via a short rubber line and two clamps and the rectangular piece that feeds into the intake hose, it's called the "breather pipe". It seems to be a pressure relief for the cylinder head and is likely a EGR component. Ifthis is the case, (someone will certainly know for sure) the worst that should have happened is some oily stain under your hood.

The lower, "second", one is likely the vacuum hose.
Agreed; and it's not a problem. It's basically a minor component of the emissions control system and it was most likely disconnected when the top of the air box was removed (evidently when the car was serviced by the dealer). No harm , no foul.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 AM
10th Gear

Excellent. Thanks for the quick replies. The dealer I use has always been pretty good, so I don't want to sound too critical. Besides, it's possible I disconnected it, but it seems like it would take more effort than what I was using to get to the air filter.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Instructor

I don't mean to sound negative, but what I would have thought of is, dealer recommends air and cabin filter change for 150 bucks. You refuse and tell them that you'll do it yourself. Dealer/tech gets mad because they now lost an easy 150 dollar income, they disconnect the breather hose out of spite.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
glad you showed the pictures-reminded me to wipe the parts in the engine. They were not too bad tho-try to keep up with it. This is when protectant wipes come in handy.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Daffunda
I don't mean to sound negative, but what I would have thought of is, dealer recommends air and cabin filter change for 150 bucks. You refuse and tell them that you'll do it yourself. Dealer/tech gets mad because they now lost an easy 150 dollar income, they disconnect the breather hose out of spite.
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think it was left disconnected out of spite. The dealer only recommended changing the filters when I picked up the car. I think it's much more likely the tech was working too fast and wasn't careful. This would be the third case of a mechanic not being careful that I've seen.

The first was back in 1992 when I was driving a 1976 Chevy Malibu. Great car for learning because you could practically crawl inside the front of the car to work on it. I went to pick it up from one of the garages near Fenway Park after having some work done and all they cared about was that I get my car out of their area so they could park one more car for that night's Red Sox game. When I drove home and looked under the hood I saw the air filter case completely open with the cover and wingnut resting on the side. Amazing! I was lucky I didn't lose the cover.

Just recently my wife took her Forester to a dealer for a major service. For the next few days she kept hearing a noise when she took a turn, but not always. I finally had a chance to take it out and noticed the noise happened when I turned, but then I had to turn the opposite direction to hear it again. Something was sliding back and forth. We finally pulled over and parked. As I was getting out of the car, I noticed a 12-inch socket wrench extension sitting under the windshield wipers on the outside of the car. My wife drives on the highway almost every day, so it's just dumb luck she didn't hit a bump and send this flying off her car and into a car behind her. I had a nice conversation with the service manager at that dealership, who was properly apologetic. We haven't been back there.

Just another argument for finding a good mechanic you can trust.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 PM
10th Gear

Good idea about doing some cleaning with wipes. I think that will have to wait. It got much colder today up here and there's snow in the forecast again. The 50 degree day on Friday made it perfect for changing those filters, though.