Failed state inspection because I rewired my fogs - Help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed state inspection because I rewired my fogs - Help.

The dealership will not pass my car for state inspection because my fog lights do not shut off when i turn my high beams on.(Bast*rds) This is because i have rewired the fogs as discussed here on azine. Does anyone have any quick solution so i can pass inspection? I cant simply unplug the fogs, the got to work in order to pass.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Move to a state that does not require state inspections-
Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Instructor

i live in ohio man thank god we dont have inspections here..PA sucks
Old 07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what? Do the fog lights normally turn off with high beams on?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:10 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Jimmy The Saint
what? Do the fog lights normally turn off with high beams on?
Yes-the foglights turn off when the high beams go on. Try it on your car and you will find out.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Will it pass if you disconnect them all together? Then you can hook them back up later.

Either that or find a mom and pop shop that wont look as hard. I never go to the stealership for inspection... they will reject every little BS detail.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:00 PM
初めまして

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
if you can re-wire it back again, that should be it. if not, try going to a different auto-shop (not the dealer) and see if they're lenient or will overlook this.

i suggest putting it back to normal wiring, fogs-off on high-beam for less hassle in the future!

Goodluck!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just unplug it, or pull out the fuse, or pull out the bulb, etc

Don't you have a switch for the fogs, though?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

When was the last time you disconnected your battery? how many miles have you driven since you last disconnected your battery?

the reason i ask because i find it hard to believe that your vehicle would fail inspection because of your fog light rewiring but find that it would fail because your car monitors have not reset after you disconnected your battery.

if its not the monitors, go to any mechanic that does inspection. they probably won't even check that.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Modding newbie

Just go somewhere else. Forget about your dealer for everything except warrenty work. They're one of the worst places to take your car.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know about your state, but in my state, it's illegal for more than 4 forward-facing lights to be on at once. So, if your foglights are on at the same time your headlights are on (HIDs), and you turn on your high beams, either your foglights have to turn off or your HID headlights have to turn off. Of course, you'd prefer to have your foglights turn off instead of your headlights. (On a side note, it's also illegal in my state to drive with only fog lights or only parking lights on...your headlights have to either be on, or all of your lights have to be off). Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that there are laws like that out there, and making sure you pass inspection is important so that you won't get ticketed out there on the roads.

In any event, I don't know how you get avoid being inspected (my state doesn't have inspections). Either you'd have to try at other places and hopefully they're not as detail-oriented, or you'd have to wire your foglights back to their stock functions.

Remember, you modded your car away from oem, and oem is designed to pass inspections. You either have to unmod your vehicle, or you have to find some inspectors that screw up or don't care.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
I don't know about your state, but in my state, it's illegal for more than 4 forward-facing lights to be on at once. So, if your foglights are on at the same time your headlights are on (HIDs), and you turn on your high beams, either your foglights have to turn off or your HID headlights have to turn off. Of course, you'd prefer to have your foglights turn off instead of your headlights. (On a side note, it's also illegal in my state to drive with only fog lights or only parking lights on...your headlights have to either be on, or all of your lights have to be off). Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that there are laws like that out there, and making sure you pass inspection is important so that you won't get ticketed out there on the roads.

In any event, I don't know how you get avoid being inspected (my state doesn't have inspections). Either you'd have to try at other places and hopefully they're not as detail-oriented, or you'd have to wire your foglights back to their stock functions.

Remember, you modded your car away from oem, and oem is designed to pass inspections. You either have to unmod your vehicle, or you have to find some inspectors that screw up or don't care.
damnn.. i never know that!! lol

thanks for the extra info!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Just go somewhere else. Forget about your dealer for everything except warrenty work. They're one of the worst places to take your car.
That is your opinion. The dealer I take my car to for service is excellent. They go out of their way to be helpful and do not try to sell unneeded service. My car has 88,000+miles.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats gay, take it somewhere else, i know that no one would ever notice that at the dealer i worked at
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Like msmching said, it's a law. A lot of states are like that, including VA, but it just depends on how it's enforced. Most ppl don't care when it comes to road use but here in VA they are really strict about passing/failing. The reason those places are strict about it is because if you are passed with said issues and you cause an accident or something then they are liable and are able to lose their license for inspections etc. If you can find a shop to do it for you and pass you for some side money that would be your only other choice or else just rewire to stock and change it back later on if you want.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 AM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Why not just remove the fog lights all together as in, take off your bumper, pull the housings and put your bumper back on, when they ask where are your fogs just claim they got broken by rocks and you couldn't afford to replace them so you just removed them.

I don't know what to say though since in Oregon we don't have those types of inspections, all they care about here is whether or not we pass emissions, at least for the time being anyways.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by sortudo7
Like msmching said, it's a law. A lot of states are like that, including VA, but it just depends on how it's enforced. Most ppl don't care when it comes to road use but here in VA they are really strict about passing/failing. The reason those places are strict about it is because if you are passed with said issues and you cause an accident or something then they are liable and are able to lose their license for inspections etc. If you can find a shop to do it for you and pass you for some side money that would be your only other choice or else just rewire to stock and change it back later on if you want.
While living in Pa I remember how the state sent undercover people to have the cars inspected at different places. Places ended up getting either large fines, loss of their inspection license for either a certain period of time or forever. Since I live in a state that requires inspection I want it done the right way.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Addict

So I picked my car up last night, and had to pay the state inspection fee even though it failed. The service rep said that if I bring the car back in 5 business days and I fix the issue he will pass the car. I argued and said im not paying the fee since the car did not pass but, there was NO hope in recovering that money. If I got the money back all I was going to do was take it to my old mechanic down the road to inspect it. (he literally walks around the car, makes sure it has 4 wheels and slaps a sticker on it) So after I got home from the dealershit , I took a look at how I rewired the fogs. Then I ran over to Radio Shack and purchased a 3 way switch that will toggle the wiring to Stock/Independent fogs. 2 hours later problem solved.

Car to dealer for inspection = Switch Down
Remainder of the Time = Switch Up

I should have gone to my local mechanic, but having the option of getting a loner is so convenient.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by racecarbox616
So I picked my car up last night, and had to pay the state inspection fee even though it failed. The service rep said that if I bring the car back in 5 business days and I fix the issue he will pass the car. I argued and said im not paying the fee since the car did not pass but, there was NO hope in recovering that money. If I got the money back all I was going to do was take it to my old mechanic down the road to inspect it. (he literally walks around the car, makes sure it has 4 wheels and slaps a sticker on it) So after I got home from the dealershit , I took a look at how I rewired the fogs. Then I ran over to Radio Shack and purchased a 3 way switch that will toggle the wiring to Stock/Independent fogs. 2 hours later problem solved.

Car to dealer for inspection = Switch Down
Remainder of the Time = Switch Up

I should have gone to my local mechanic, but having the option of getting a loner is so convenient.
should have
Old 07-31-2009, 10:57 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
1) Why didn't you just unplug the fogs before going to the stealership? I assume fog, even if installed, would not cause a fail if they didn't work as they are not a required light.

2) Why do people insist on driving with their fogs on all the time? It's annoying and unnecessary. Fogs should be reserved for foggy times and when on poorly lit roads with rough edges, lots of corners and no other traffic...and that's it!

3) If you really want lights, got a Mini Cooper and add the aftermarket rally bar. I had it with 4 x 100 watt european driving lights optionally linked to my high beams. Could only use it with no one around, but I could see a good half mile down the road then! Course, I had to restrain myself if someone flashed me for my HID low beams...ever flashed back until the third flash or if they went highs full on...they never failed to drop back, immediately! I did scare the bejesus out of a Suburban that pulled out too close in front of me...he thought it was a train coming!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Addict

Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
1) Why didn't you just unplug the fogs before going to the stealership? I assume fog, even if installed, would not cause a fail if they didn't work as they are not a required light.
9) Check the lamps and lenses and
REJECT IF one or more of the following
apply:
(i) An exterior bulb or sealed beam, if
originally equipped or installed, fails
to light properly, except ornamental
lights.

(ii) The turn signal lamps do not flash between
60-120 flashes per minute.
(iii) The turn signal lamps do not properly
indicate right or left or hold in position
when so switched or do not self-cancel
if originally designed to do so.
(iv) The back-up lamps do not turn off
automatically when vehicle goes
forward, there is no indicator on dash
that lights or there is no audible
warning signal.
(v) The lamp shows color contrary to
lighting chart.
(vi) The lamp or filament indicated at the
switch position does not light when
the correct switch indicates the lamp
should be on.
(vii) The lamp has a missing or broken
lens.
(viii) A required lamp is missing.
(ix) The auxiliary equipment is placed on,
in or in front of a lamp.
(x) The fog lamps operate with the high
beams of the headlamps or are substituted
for the low beams.

(xi) The auxiliary driving lamps operate
with the low beam of standard
headlamp system or alone.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
That is your opinion. The dealer I take my car to for service is excellent. They go out of their way to be helpful and do not try to sell unneeded service. My car has 88,000+miles.
it is a very good opinion that one guy had. he shares the feeling of a large majority of the people who visit this website. ive lived in 3 different parts of ohio and have gone to 3 different dealerships while i was in each area. 2 of them had the worst service ive ever experienced in my life. i dont want to type out the story cuz id be sitting here for another 10 min but just realize that not every dealership extends the same generosity to their customers. i got lucky on the 3rd try, you got lucky on the 1st try

Last edited by deadlyklappy12887; 08-01-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-01-2009, 12:27 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by deadlyklappy12887
it is a very good opinion that one guy had. he shares the feeling of a large majority of the people who visit this website. ive lived in 3 different parts of ohio and have gone to 3 different dealerships while i was in each area. 2 of them had the worst service ive ever experienced in my life. i dont want to type out the story cuz id be sitting here for another 10 min but just realize that not every dealership extends the same generosity to their customers. i got lucky on the 3rd try, you got lucky on the 1st try

The dealer that is excellent is 700 miles from me. Luckily I have family and friend that live near it. I get my car serviced when I visit them. The dealer near me is on the lousy list.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks race...nice quote.

I assume your fogs are low and high beam? If they are high only, the fail was improper because you have "axiliary driving lights"...just trying to think outside the box. Plan B, make them ornamental somehow (???) and unplug them...
Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
unplug your fogs!?