DIY: Side Mirror Disassembly (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
DIY: Side Mirror Disassembly (with pics)

(This is my first DIY so bear with me! Much thanks to WICKEDFX for his tips and getting me started in the right direction!)

Here's a step-by-step DIY for disassembly of the side-view mirror and housing. This was done on an Acura CSX, but presumably would be very similar for most Hondas.

This would be helpful for those of you who might have burnt out motors, bad connections between the turn signal lens/mirror heater or (gasp!) cracked mirror parts from backing out of the garage...

(Note: The whole mirror itself may or may not need to be removed depending on your situation. If you need to take it off, you need to first remove the door panel to access the screws).

Disclaimer: If you're unsure of what you're doing, please take it to the dealer instead. Make sure you read these instructions carefully because I take no responsibility for any damages you may or may not incur from screwing this up.

Tools needed:
- Blowdryer
- Phillips and flathead screwdrivers
- Patience

Here's a schematic of the mirror you'll be working on:

STEP 1:
Make sure car is off and on a stable working surface. Press down gently on the upper corner of the mirror that is closest to the vehicle body. This exposes the outer lower corner. Use your blowdryer to blow hot air behind the mirror and onto the mirror itself to soften the glue holding the mirror to its mounting plate.

STEP 2:
THIS IS BY FAR THE HARDEST PART. Use a small flathead screwdriver to pry at the point shown below. Work slowly as to not crack the mirror and you'll free the mirror from the mounting plate.

STEP 3:
Once the bottom of the mirror is free, you'll notice the top of the mirror is still held in place by two hinges at the top.

STEP 4:
Gently lift up on the bottom till the mirror clears these hinges.

STEP 5:
Swing the mirror out of the way and remove the 5 screws circled in red. (Remove the white ones too if removing the motor).

STEP 6:
Remove the spring and white plastic piece under it.

STEP 7:
Unclip the wiring harness and you're all done!

The mirror housing disassembled (note that the lens appears to be sealed. You'd probably need to melt the adhesive to get to the LED's if that's what you wanted to do):

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is fantastically helpful......... IF someone can tell me where to get replacement bulbs for the mirror signal light. I really really want to swap out that amber signal.

Anyone.........................?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

i sure applaud those of you whohave the patience and are inclined to dawdle with their cars! geez. go to all that trouble! i have a rule. if i need to use more than one tool to modify my vehicle, it's gonna take too long and it will be too complicated. not gonna do it! keep it simple and no warranty issues to worry about later on!
Old 01-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cestmoi
i sure applaud those of you whohave the patience and are inclined to dawdle with their cars! geez. go to all that trouble! i have a rule. if i need to use more than one tool to modify my vehicle, it's gonna take too long and it will be too complicated. not gonna do it! keep it simple and no warranty issues to worry about later on!
^^No fun. I've done all my work on my car and if I used your rules, then I'd have some punk changing my oil, forgetting to tighten down the filter 1/8th of a turn after hand tight and probably wouldn't replace the drain plug washer (oil changes take 4 tools in my garage). Just look at all the fun I've had with my 04 TSX 6MT. Oh, no warranty issues associated to any of my mods, just tons of fun.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Instructor

I have a rule too, I break it all the time as I'm not actually that lazy but damnit, it makes me laugh every time.....

If the trip is longer than the car, take the car.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadwick
If the trip is longer than the car, take the car.
Nice one.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Chadwick, 5th to 2nd, and all others interested in changing the LEDs. I have done this on my car and for another member. Please do not put the lenses in the oven or heat them up in any way. It does nothing except warp the casing and make them not fit. These lenses are cemented together. You have to get a dremel with the thinest cutting wheel you can find and cut the 2 pieces apart. Then if you do it right, you can solder in any color high flux LEDs you like.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the advice wicked.

Sounds like it's not as easy as just replacing a bulb then i take it. Are you aware of any DIY's for TSX mirrors?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice writeup... I had to do this recently to put on heated mirrors on my '04. Actually the hardest part was removing the mirror from the 'pivot' after it's detached from the car, which I wasn't able to do since the screws were rusted, but I was able to get the wiring through anyhow without having to removing the pivot part.

One alternate suggestion I have is to pull out the bottom of the mirror using your hands (wth gloves), that will prevent damages to the mirror. Do this while the mirror is still on the car, flip the mirror so that it's surface is parallel to the car for easy access.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chadwick
Thanks for the advice wicked.

Sounds like it's not as easy as just replacing a bulb then i take it. Are you aware of any DIY's for TSX mirrors?

Not that I know of. If you want to send me your mirrors then I will do a write up. Mine are already done though
Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by WICKEDFX
Not that I know of. If you want to send me your mirrors then I will do a write up. Mine are already done though
Actually, that's one of the reasons I did this writeup in the first place--I did a lot of googling around before doing this and there isn't much out there for any of the acuras....
Old 10-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Drive It Like U Stole It

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
pics dont efin work brah
Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
2006 ASM tsx

anyway we can get these pictures back?

my drivers side is cracked, but turn signal is ok, just need to replace the outer lens.. its not too bothersome. but is annoying...
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Did you try youtube? Amazing what's on there for DIY stuff.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Did you try youtube? Amazing what's on there for DIY stuff.
sigh didn't have much luck.. closest i could get was someone added some shark mirrors to tsx mirrors on an accord.