To buy or not to buy?! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 10:43 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To buy or not to buy?! Please help

Hi everybody. I'm new here and this is my first post. I need some help from you all! I do not own a Tsx but I probably will in a day or so. I do have a 2012 MDX and prior to that an 06 TL. Now to the point: im looking at an 05 Tsx 6-speed. It has 194k on it. Asking price is 4K although I'm confident that I can get it for 3500. The car is a 1-owner car that is very clean, always garaged since day 1. All maintenance records available as well. Oil changes every 3500 miles and recent inspection and tires. Also battery. Believe it or not, it's still the original clutch. I know it's days have to be numbered. That's insane mileage for a stock clutch. She did say she made 600 mile round trips to WV from Pittsburgh every weekend for a long time. So that contributes some good reason as to why it's still healthy. I've done some reading on how much work it is to change the clutch and the outrageous labor cost. I luckily have quite a few friends that are Honda freaks. They assured me that labor would run me no more than 300-400 bucks plus 220-250 for the clutch kit(clutch disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing). So call it 600 all said and done. Then I'd definitely replace the timing chain and tensioners. Total cost around 300 with parts and labor. I'd get it done at the same time the clutch is done. So 900 bucks to get the car up to date. Actually 1000.... I'd change the gear oil in the tranny as well. So all together I'd be 4500 deep into this car. I have a 2006 tdi Jetta that I'm making 2k off of. Transferring the title on Monday. I like that car and the great fuel economy of 51 highway and 36 city. But volkswagens are so much money to maintain that it actually doesn't make it worth it. Anyways. What do you guys/ladies think about this car as an everyday commuter car with this many miles? It's super clean. Silver exterior with black interior. It's definitely a nice car to say the least. I have a good feeling about it because the older woman that has owned since day 1 has always taken great care of it. And the fact that the original clutch is still in the car with 194k on it tells me 2 things: 1. This chick definitely knows how to drive! 2. She definitely didn't abuse it by redlining every gear and hot rod it around like a 16-25 year old would've. Otherwise that clutch would long be gone. Maybe even the second. So is there anything you all can add to help me make this decision? This is super high miles and kind of scares me. Like how much more life does this motor have. Have you guys heard of these cars pushing 300k on the original motors? Also I wonder about other parts. Like are struts,hoses,brake lines etc gonna start to need replaced essentially nickel and diming me? It's a lot of car to have for 4500 but I don't want a year to go by and have another thousand or more in repairs. I understand there always be some extra output year to year in repairs. I'm a huge Acura fan even though they really have me irate over the oil consumption on my MDX. 1qt/1000k is not normal Acura!!! Sorry, had to get that off of my chest. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you to you all in advance!
Old 10-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Have you taken your estimate of needed work to the seller? Maybe get it down to an even $3k?

As far as overall reliability, these cars seem to be very dependable (there is an owner here with well over 500k on his). Although, like you say, some of the ancillaries may start to go (starter, suspension, etc), but most of those things are fairly easy DIY's (unlike the clutch). I'd have no qualms about commuting in it if it's as clean as you say.

On your MDX, what brand oil do you use? I have a 1st gen s2000, and they are notorious for oil consumption. Ever since switching to Castrol Edge (a number of years ago), the consumption has pretty much stopped.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:08 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Have you taken your estimate of needed work to the seller? Maybe get it down to an even $3k?

As far as overall reliability, these cars seem to be very dependable (there is an owner here with well over 500k on his). Although, like you say, some of the ancillaries may start to go (starter, suspension, etc), but most of those things are fairly easy DIY's (unlike the clutch). I'd have no qualms about commuting in it if it's as clean as you say.

On your MDX, what brand oil do you use? I have a 1st gen s2000, and they are notorious for oil consumption. Ever since switching to Castrol Edge (a number of years ago), the consumption has pretty much stopped.
Thanks for the great info. I drove the car today and I was very impressed. Everything works great. Interior is great. The clutch grabs right off of the floor which surprised for a Honda product. But it still grabs excellent. I put it in 5th going up a hill around 40 mph and rolled the pedal to the floor...never slipped. Also rung it's neck a little into redline in 2-4. Again, no issues. No creaks clanks or any abnormal noises came from my 6 mile test drive on some curvy back roads here in SW Pennsylvania. The car handled great. I gotta say, my 06 TL didn't feel this fun to zing into corners with. I offered 3500 and she countered me at 3750. I held my ground for now. Hopefully tomorrow she wakes up and says sold. If not, I'll likely give the full 3750. She was asking 4400. Again, 1-owner, never in an accident and was maintained well. There is the very beginning stages of rust on the left rear fender well. Motor idles very smooth and makes no noise whatsoever. Think this is a good buy? Also I was always a Mobil 1 fan. I never really cared and just bought what was on sale(synthetic 5w-20) since the MDX just drinks it. But I've just now switched to 5w-30 based on recommendations. I'll have to give castrol edge a shot.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Sounds like the car is in good condition considering its one owner, I just bought an 04 with 205k.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:15 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by MrKev
Sounds like the car is in good condition considering its one owner, I just bought an 04 with 205k.
how do you like it. And do you think 3750 is a good price?
Old 10-11-2016, 03:58 PM
5th Gear

update: she came down to 3500 after a lot of negotiating/explains on my part. We meet tomorrow to transfer the title! I'm excited.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:59 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Eric7770
update: she came down to 3500 after a lot of negotiating/explains on my part. We meet tomorrow to transfer the title! I'm excited.
I meant explaining above
Old 10-14-2016, 06:22 PM
8th Gear

Anyway, in my opinion, you should change all filters and oils when you got it!