Acura extended warranty after buying CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Acura extended warranty after buying CPO?

Hi,

I'm about to buy a certified pre-owned 2006 TSX with 29200 miles. The dealer said that you can only buy the extended warranty at the time you purchase the car...that's a lie, right? I went to curryacuracare from a link on this forum and it says you qualify if the vehicle is less than 48 months old, yet the Acura website says all certified pre-owned vehicles qualify http://www.acura.com/EXTENDEDWARRANTY.ASPX

So I can still buy the warranty whenever I want I assume, just that it'll cost more once it's older than 48 months or has more than 50k miles? 48 months from 2006 is coming up pretty soon or would have already passed.

Also, I only drive 10k miles a year or so, less this year. Do you think it really makes sense to buy? The powertrain would be covered until 2013 with the pre-owned warranty.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:41 PM
B A N N E D

Don't assume your dealer is lying. That's not fair. What they are saying is true. You can only buy this extended coverage at the time of purchase. The acura certified coverage is 7 yr/100k miles from the inservice date of the vehicle. This coverage only covers the powertrain. For a small amount more, you can extend the coverage to full comprehensive 7yr/100k. I say if the price is right, do it.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Modding newbie

It depends on what "the extended warranty" you're referring to is. All CPO vehicles come with the 7 year 100k mile warranty, otherwise they wouldn't be CPO. I never heard of it only being a powertrain warranty, but don't have any documentation showing either way. I always thought it was a full bumper to bumper. Powertrain warranties are useless.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
It depends on what "the extended warranty" you're referring to is. All CPO vehicles come with the 7 year 100k mile warranty, otherwise they wouldn't be CPO. I never heard of it only being a powertrain warranty, but don't have any documentation showing either way. I always thought it was a full bumper to bumper. Powertrain warranties are useless.
Bumper to bumper does not exist these days. It is refered to as a comprehensive warrantee. The Acura CPO warrantee extends the comprehensive coverage an additional 12 months, 12k miles on top of the factory remaining comprehensive warrantee.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:05 PM
10th Gear

The car is certified pre-owned...I get that warranty regardless. I'm referring to the extended warranty separate from that.

If the dealer is not lying, then why can you buy it from other dealers after purchase? http://www.curryacuracare.com/ I got that link from an old thread here.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:15 PM
10th Gear

There was a guy selling it on this forum as well, but a while ago https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/acura-care-extended-warranty-special-727576/#post11336505
Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Modding newbie

You can always buy a warranty for a vehicle. They're not all the same warranty though. The original factory warranty can be extended when you buy a new vehicle, but you can't extend that warranty after the purchase. You can buy another warranty from the factory that does the same thing as the original factory warranty and goes into effect the instant the original one drops, but it's not an extension of the original warranty. That extension may have been what your dealer was talking about, in which case he wasn't lieing.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:14 PM
10th Gear

You can always buy a warranty for a vehicle. They're not all the same warranty though. The original factory warranty can be extended when you buy a new vehicle, but you can't extend that warranty after the purchase. You can buy another warranty from the factory that does the same thing as the original factory warranty and goes into effect the instant the original one drops, but it's not an extension of the original warranty. That extension may have been what your dealer was talking about, in which case he wasn't lieing.
So they're not the same warranty, but they do the same thing and are still backed by Acura? That's good enough for me if I decide to do it eventually. They wanted $1600 anyway.

I don't know if it's justified. I don't put that much mileage on the car, and I don't intend to drive it into the ground.

The car doesn't have a nav system, btw, so it's not like that would be one of the parts to replace.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Modding newbie

If you don't put alot of miles on the car, and aren't planning on keeping it for long, I wouldn't suggest paying 1600 for the warranty.
I'm the exact opposite of you. I put about 40,000 miles a year on my car and plan to drive it till the wheels fall off, then maybe a little further. Extended warranty isn't worth it for me either since I'd blow through it so fast. It's highly unlikely anything will break in the first 3 years of any car and I'd already have over 100,000 miles on it. Very few warranties will go over 100,000 miles.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new car factory warranty + cpo extended warranty:
http://www.acura.com/WarrantyCoverage.aspx

extended factory warranty:
http://www.acura.com/ExtendedWarranty.aspx

remember - clock starts ticking from date of FIRST purchaser. if you are 2nd buyer (i.e. cpo car), you need to find out when the car was first purchased!

anyway, in most places, you can purchase extended warranty any time up until the factory warranty runs out; you need to purchase it before the expiration date.

people usually buy the extended warranty at purchase so they can finance the whole thing instead of ponying up cash later.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Honda was going to put an end to purchasing warranties online, but if you recently went to Curry Acura's site and saw it available there, then I guess they haven't stopped it yet.

As was said before, you can buy the warranty up until 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. You need to know when the car first went into service so you don't miss the 4 year mark.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:06 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
hopefully you will have as much good luck with your 06 tsx as I have had with mine. I did not buy the extended warranty. I average 30,000+miles a year.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Satoshi,

How much was the car being sold to you for? Also how much did they want for the extended warranty?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Life Dies
Don't assume your dealer is lying. That's not fair. What they are saying is true. You can only buy this extended coverage at the time of purchase. The acura certified coverage is 7 yr/100k miles from the inservice date of the vehicle. This coverage only covers the powertrain. For a small amount more, you can extend the coverage to full comprehensive 7yr/100k. I say if the price is right, do it.
False. Dealer is lying as you can purchase the warranty from any dealer after the purchase as long as the car is still covered under the standard warranty.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Safety Car

Incorrect. CPO comes with an additional year and 12k miles added to the standard warranty from Acura. That is all. You do only get a 7 year 100k warranty on any CPO car standard that is POWERTRAIN only.

http://www.acura.com/WarrantyCoverage.aspx
Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by npolite
Satoshi,

How much was the car being sold to you for? Also how much did they want for the extended warranty?
I bought it for $21,000 and I love the car.

They wanted $1600 for the warranty, and then I told the F&I guy I thought that was too much, so he said "well I can give it to you for the price I gave it to my son for" which was $1400 lol. I declined.

I may or may not still do it. The car first went into service Aug 06 so I have a little time I think to make the call.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Racer

CPO car comes with 7/100k warranty on the powertrain.
The comprehensive warranty is extended 1 year from date of service, so 4/50k becomes 5/62k.

What the dealer is selling a Acura wrap warranty that extends the 5/62k comprehensive warranty to 7/100k.

You have to decide if the extra 2/38k is worth the $1400-$1600 they quoted. FYI, you can buy this wrap for a little under $1,000. if you bargain hard with them. This wrap is only available at time of purchase of car.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:42 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Any extended warranty is designed to make money for the dealership. On average, our Acuras will not incur $1400-$1600 worth of unexpected repairs during the warranty period. I’ve owned 7 Honda/Acura cars since 1991 with an average mileage of 175,000 miles for each vehicle. I had one auto transmission failure which only cost me $1200 installed to replace (car had 145,000 miles). There are always exceptions to the rule and there could be catastrophic engine, tranny, or air condition failure during the warranty period.

Most of the repair cost you will experience will not be covered by the extended warranty (routine servicing, fluid/filter changes, brakes, tires, battery, front end alignments, belts, etc…). You might be better off taking the $1400-$1600 and investing into a CD or Roth IRA. Then you can pull the money out when you need it or keep it in the investment vehicle earning more interest. The dealership is just going to do the same thing with your money.

Unless the car was in a previous accident, had a lot of mods removed before selling, or used for racing; I don’t see the value in an extended 100k warranty for most folks.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dannyboy10
CPO car comes with 7/100k warranty on the powertrain.
The comprehensive warranty is extended 1 year from date of service, so 4/50k becomes 5/62k.

What the dealer is selling a Acura wrap warranty that extends the 5/62k comprehensive warranty to 7/100k.

You have to decide if the extra 2/38k is worth the $1400-$1600 they quoted. FYI, you can buy this wrap for a little under $1,000. if you bargain hard with them. This wrap is only available at time of purchase of car.
The WRAP is the same exact warranty as the normal Extended warranty you can get on any Acura BEFORE the car goes out of it's standard warranty.

So you can get it afterwards and it covers the same parts. Don't believe what the dealer tells you about WRAP and only can be purchased when getting a CPO car. I fell for that myself, and found out afterwards the truth.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

The TL transmission is common for it to fail. It is smart to get it as it does cost $3-4k to replace and that warranty will pay for itself easily.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Any extended warranty is designed to make money for the dealership. On average, our Acuras will not incur $1400-$1600 worth of unexpected repairs during the warranty period. I’ve owned 7 Honda/Acura cars since 1991 with an average mileage of 175,000 miles for each vehicle. I had one auto transmission failure which only cost me $1200 installed to replace (car had 145,000 miles). There are always exceptions to the rule and there could be catastrophic engine, tranny, or air condition failure during the warranty period.

Most of the repair cost you will experience will not be covered by the extended warranty (routine servicing, fluid/filter changes, brakes, tires, battery, front end alignments, belts, etc…). You might be better off taking the $1400-$1600 and investing into a CD or Roth IRA. Then you can pull the money out when you need it or keep it in the investment vehicle earning more interest. The dealership is just going to do the same thing with your money.

Unless the car was in a previous accident, had a lot of mods removed before selling, or used for racing; I don’t see the value in an extended 100k warranty for most folks.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Racer

Sorry, they are not the same "exact" warranty as the coverages in terms of years and mileage are different. The "wrap" can only be sold by the dealer who sells you the car. I checked in the past with 2 online Acura Care sellers right before I bought my CPO car. The wrap can be built into the car payment.

The max on the wrap is 7 years and 100,000 miles. It "supplements" the 5yr/62k comprehensive warranty as there is already a 7yr/100k powertrain warranty on a CPO car.

The regular Acura Care warranty available in different durations and mileages. I recall seeing a 4/48k and a 5/60k plan earlier in the year. I do not recall what the pricing was. Depending on the age and mileage, the regular Acura Care warranty can give you 1-2 more years of coverage if you do not you drive a lot as it starts at the time of purchase.

The question is can you buy it online down the road as Honda is trying stop online sales.

Last edited by dannyboy10; 12-09-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Safety Car

Sorry but what I said is true. I asked Tim and HondaAcuraWorld and he told me exactly what I said. They are the SAME warranty and cover the SAME parts for the SAME time. Both go up to 7 year 100k miles MAX.

Sorry, they are not the same "exact" warranty as the coverages in terms of years and mileage are different. The "wrap" can only be sold by the dealer who sells you the car. I checked in the past with 2 online Acura Care sellers right before I bought my CPO car. The wrap can be built into the car payment.

The max on the wrap is 7 years and 100,000 miles. It "supplements" the 5yr/62k comprehensive warranty as there is already a 7yr/100k powertrain warranty on a CPO car.

The regular Acura Care warranty available in different durations and mileages. I recall seeing a 4/48k and a 5/60k plan earlier in the year. I do not recall what the pricing was. Depending on the age and mileage, the regular Acura Care warranty can give you 1-2 more years of coverage if you do not you drive a lot as it starts at the time of purchase.

The question is can you buy it online down the road as Honda is trying stop online sales.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:25 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Satoshi,

The 21k is a bit high for the 06. I almost bought one over the summer for 18.5 (except the dealer driller into the front bumper with the license plate bolts) and was fed up with going back a 3rd time. As long as you are happy with the car, enjoy it!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:52 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by npolite
Satoshi,

The 21k is a bit high for the 06. I almost bought one over the summer for 18.5 (except the dealer driller into the front bumper with the license plate bolts) and was fed up with going back a 3rd time. As long as you are happy with the car, enjoy it!
Drove past a used car lot yesterday-they had an 06 tsx with a price listed on the windshield: $15,990. With the license plate holder drilled into the front bumper-that is due to what type holders are being used. I was lucky-mine did not require that.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Racer

Not trying to start a verbal war here...but they are not "exact" as the Acura Care warranty is sold with different durations and mileage. They are "similar".

The "wrap" only adds 2 years and 38,000 miles to the CPO's 5/62k comprehensive warranty. The regular Acura Care warranty has different duration and mileages one can add to the existing comprehensive and powertrain warranties at different prices.

Acura Care can cover up to 8 years, not 7 years. I do not recall the prices I was quoted from Curry and Bernardi. Also, they told me I could not buy the wrap from them.

Again, the main issue is can you get the warranty "online" deep discounted down the road....Honda is trying to stop this practice.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Racer

To clarify, my comments here are related to only CPO cars, not non-CPO cars.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Safety Car

You don't seem to be comprehending what I am saying and how the warranty works.

Acura Care warranty bought with a NEW car can cover up to 8 years 100k miles.

Acura Care warranty purchased on a car that has already been driven with miles can only go total 7 years 100k miles from the date of purchase max. MAX. Acura Care on this still extends the warranty from whatever mileage you have to 7 year 100k warranty. Doesn't have a set mileage, the MAX is still 7 year 100k.

Acura Care WRAP does the same exact thing as Acura Care and extends the warranty from the 62k 5 years to 7 years 100k. Again SAME THING.

Not trying to start a verbal war here...but they are not "exact" as the Acura Care warranty is sold with different durations and mileage. They are "similar".

The "wrap" only adds 2 years and 38,000 miles to the CPO's 5/62k comprehensive warranty. The regular Acura Care warranty has different duration and mileages one can add to the existing comprehensive and powertrain warranties at different prices.

Acura Care can cover up to 8 years, not 7 years. I do not recall the prices I was quoted from Curry and Bernardi. Also, they told me I could not buy the wrap from them.

Again, the main issue is can you get the warranty "online" deep discounted down the road....Honda is trying to stop this practice.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:18 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
The TL transmission is common for it to fail. It is smart to get it as it does cost $3-4k to replace and that warranty will pay for itself easily.
I will keep that in mind when I decide to purchase a 5AT TL.

The TSX is a completely different animal. There are very few 5AT failures under 100,000 miles for the TSX.

100,000 - 120,000 miles is the magic point when people feel their cars are starting to feel "over the hill". It is hard to find maint schedule for +120,000 miles from some of the car manufacturers. Unfortunately, most extended warranties do not cover you when you need them the most 100,000 to 150,000 miles. I would be willing to purchase an extended warranty now that would cover me until 150,000 miles for $1,600.

Extended warranties is a personal choice and it can provide peace of mind during owner ship.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Racer

My comments here are related to the OP's post concerning a certified car...not a non certified car. I do understand most of your comments.

A CPO car already gives you 7 yr/100,000 miles on the powertrain and 5yr/62,000 miles on the comprehensive warranty. The "wrap" on a CPO car extends ONLY the comprehensive warranty to 7yr/100,000 miles.

When you buy Acura Care later on, part of the price is for for powertrain warranty that is already provided by the CPO warranty. Acura Care is more expensive if I recall correctly what other members here were paying.

How much does your contact charge ? Is it less than $995 to get 7yr/100k coverage ? Its has to be less than $995 for it to be the same value as my $995 quote for wrap.

Satoshi was quoted $1600 for wrap....I was offered $995 for wrap and felt it was still expensive just for the "supplemental" coverage over the CPO warranty.

In Satoshi's case, who knows if he buy the regular Acura Care deep discounted online down the road ? Honda is trying to stop this practice.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

I am talking about CPO and not CPO. Both cover drivetrains and comprehensive under a extended warranty. It is only a TERM called WRAP for dealers to make money. They both are exactly the same coverage as anyone can get on a CPO or non-cpo car.

My comments here are related to the OP's post concerning a certified car...not a non certified car. I do understand most of your comments.

A CPO car already gives you 7 yr/100,000 miles on the powertrain and 5yr/62,000 miles on the comprehensive warranty. The "wrap" on a CPO car extends ONLY the comprehensive warranty to 7yr/100,000 miles.

When you buy Acura Care later on, part of the price is for for powertrain warranty that is already provided by the CPO warranty. Acura Care is more expensive if I recall correctly what other members here were paying.

How much does your contact charge ? Is it less than $995 to get 7yr/100k coverage ? Its has to be less than $995 for it to be the same value as my $995 quote for wrap.

Satoshi was quoted $1600 for wrap....I was offered $995 for wrap and felt it was still expensive just for the "supplemental" coverage over the CPO warranty.

In Satoshi's case, who knows if he buy the regular Acura Care deep discounted online down the road ? Honda is trying to stop this practice.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Racer

Understood, but the "wrap" only applies to CPO cars and is usually cheaper because there is no supplemental powertrain coverage since the CPO warranty already gives you 7yr/100k. Wrap is designed to "fill in" the gaps of the comprehensive warranty as compared to a full blown Acura Care warranty.

Wrap is only sold by the certifying dealer who inspected the car. I tried buying the wrap from 2 online Acura Care sellers but was told I could not.

My CPO dealer quoted me $995 and I recall the 2 online dealers were more expensive for the regular Acura Care warranties. I do not recall what the prices were.

Again, not trying to start a verbal war here.....just trying to help others here. I am always open to learning to things concerning our Acuras !
Old 12-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Racer

Current prices on 2007 TSX's, no navi

Npolite,

Here's the details on a 2007 TSX with 30,000 miles, auto, no NAVI

Black Book Retail as of 12/07/2009

Extra Clean Clean Average Rough
$23,250 $22,050 $20,325 $17,950
Mileage$0$ 225 $325 $0
Total$23,250 $22,275 $20,650 $17,950

Black Book Trade-In as of 12/07/2009
Clean Average Rough
$19,200 $17,920 $14,475
Mileage$225 $325 $0
Total$19,425 $18,245 $14,475

Last edited by dannyboy10; 12-10-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
So many uninformed voices here ... AcuraCare can be bought any time before the original purchase factory warranty expires. (As mentioned this has a counter from time in service as well as mileage.)

But be careful, VERY CAREFUL, about dealers selling "extended warranty" with a CPO. I bought one ($1100 ... I fell out of my chair at your $1600 ext. warr.) and the brochure I was given when buying had the Acura logo and everything. Then, the car went out of standard warranty. THEN I determined that the extended warranty was NOT from Acura but from teh dealer's auto group. It can be used at any Acura dealership more than 50 miles from the original dealer, and at any of the auto groups dealers. But I was no longer eligible for AcuraCare, which is what I thought I bought. :thumbsdow

Still, I wish I'd have known about this board before, I would've shopped around for AcuraCare instead. Bottom line, don't buy AcuraCare from the CPO dealer unless it beats any other price you can find -- it's mostly gravy for them as this is generally a very reliable car.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Racer

David,

When did you pick up your CPO ? I bought mine earlier this year and had to sign a form from Acura stating I elected not to purchase Acura Care at the time of closing. Was this form given to you to sign ? Maybe you can pursue this if they did not......

For a CPO owner, buying Acura Care AFTER closing will duplicate the powertrain coverage (7yr/100k) already provided by the CPO warranty. Call up any online seller and they will tell you can buy Acura Care...but it's the "full blown" version.

The "wrap" warranty offered at closing is a form of special Acura Care warranty that only supplements the CPO's comprehensive warranty (5yr/62k). You are paying for an extra 2 yrs/38k. There is no supplemental coverage for the powertrain since you already get 7yr/100k.

I will add (and admit) that I never saw the details of the "wrap" because I balked at the 995.00 price. I called 2 online sellers (Bernardi and Curry) before closing and was told they could not sell the "wrap" to me...only the CPO dealer who certified the car can.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Again, the CPO Drivetrain and the Extended Acura Care you get are exactly the same warranty period. Acura Care covers the extended warranty. David and I have the same experience and knowledge on this obviously. Danny, you need really do more research.

WRAP is a term for them to sell you something right then and there so they can make money. AcuraCare is the same warranty you get get that covers the whole car afterwards. Might cost you a little more as it adds the drivetrain to the car, other than that, it is the same coverage.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Racer

Like I tried to say earlier, they are "similar" (not exact) because the CPO owner would be buying DUPLICATE coverage and paying more for the full blown Acura Care after taking ownership of the CPO car.

Why do you want to pay for something you already are covered (powertrain) for ? I am not arguing coverage is not the same. The burden falls on the CPO owner to "time" the purchase of the Acura Care warranty.

Like I said more than once above, CAN Satoshi buy the Acura Care in 1-2 years online ?? Honda is trying to stop online selling of their Acura/Honda warranties. I will agree Satoshi's dealer was way too expensive on the "wrap".

Bernardi and Curry must be not want my business when I asked them if I could buy the "wrap" thru them earlier this year. They told me I could buy the full blown Acura Care at a higher price. I looked through my papers and saw I was quoted $1175 to buy the full blown Acura Care on my TL, when I could have paid the $995.00 for the "wrap". The TSX should be cheaper because it's more reliable and has 2 less cylinders.

Which deal is better ? In my case, I think the "wrap".

One question you can answer for me and others here is the "wrap" a form of Acura Care ? I did not review the paperwork because I declined the $995.00 price from the Acura dealer.

Research? I did call Bernardi Acura and Curry Acura to get price quotes and to see if I could buy "wrap" directly from them. The only thing I did not do was to ask to review the "wrap" warrranty details and to confirm in writing that "wrap" was Acura's own product and not some 3rd party.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Safety Car

me: Tim, is there any difference between a CPO WRAP Warranty and the Acura Extended Warranty that you can purchase?
hondacuraworld: Just in the length term....as far as the plan goes, it's the same one
Old 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Racer

Question....

Let's say 2/1/2010 is the end of the standard warranty. CPO car will have 40,000 miles.

Buy Acura Care online at $1,175. for their 4yr/48k plan. on 1/30/2010.

What is my now comprehensive warranty ? I do not think it's 7yrs/100k. Powertrain warranty is unchanged.

Is the answer 7yr/88k or 8yr/88k ?

Am I missing something here ?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Racer

The answer for the scenario above (full blown Acura Care) is 8yrs/88k, whichever comes first on the comprehensive warranty, not 7yr/88k or 7yr/100k. You lose 12,000 miles but gain 1 year. This scenario benefits the low mileage driver.

The "wrap" is formally called "Acura Care Certified Additional Coverage":

Coverage up to 7-year/100,000 miles (from the original Acura New Vehicle Limited Warranty in-service date).
  • Extends the same coverage provided in the Acura 12-month/12,000-mile limited warranty.
  • Acura Care Certified Additional Coverage is transferable.
  • Acura Care Certified Additional Coverage can ONLY be purchased from the dealership at the time the Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle is purchased or leased.
  • Acura Customer Care Benefits after 12-month/12,000-mile limited warranty period (see Program Benefits).
As shown above, this "wrap" can ONLY be purchased from the certifying dealer at the time of purchase or lease. "Acura Care" is the full blown version that has a comprehensive component AND a powertrain component. Yes, this full blown version can be purchased after the taking possesion of the CPO car.

Like I tried to say many times, it is "similar" and not "exact" as shown by the above scenario. This full blown version is more costly and can exceed 7 years as the answer states above. The BURDEN falls on the owner to time the purchase of the full blown Acura Care warranty.

By the way, the price has gone up for a TL, it's no longer $1,175.

It's best that anyone who may be interested in EITHER warranty to call a dealer to discuss the terms and your specific situation.

Peace.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting, I never thought to investigate a "full blown" AcuraCare extension on a TSX ... Because I bought a CPO TSX, and in my conversations with Acura in California, that's what I described (using language from their CPO and AcuraCare brochures that I'd downloaded online). Don't recall the brochures (which are at home, not here at work ) saying "wrap." I seem to recall that the brochure that I had was specific to add-on to a CPO warranty.I told the Acura Customer Care rep the price I paid for the dealer's wrap extension and he said that was comparable to what an AcuraCare extension on a CPO would've been. With that info, I kind of sighed and gave up on the issue. The dealer's sales manager told me that I could get a refund on the extension at any time during the warranty period if I don't use it ... which I may actually do.

No, I didn't sign any form stating that I did not want AcuraCar wrap, but that's not to say such a statement wasn't incorporated into the Hendrick contract that I signed. It was a very obtuse sheet, 7pt type, no bold text identifying it. What was waved in my face and highlighted, and circled, was a brochure stating "Acura Extended Care" or "Extended Warranty," essentially a deceptive document used to imply that I was buying an Acura "wrap" extension.

So as to the OP, if the dealer was quoting a standard AcuraCare warranty meant for a plain pre-owned vehicle, not one certified as CPO (with the added Acura factory warranty and powertrain warranty), I'd say "don't walk, run away from that dealer." Anyone buying a CPO Acura, I'd suggest asking about such offers VERY CAREFULLY, spend an extra hour going over documents word by word, and even showing the sales person/manager a downloaded Acura document and ask point blank, "Is this what I am buying?" ... Then again, after the events of the last 18 months, I think I'd suggest that a potential Acura CPO customer walk across the street to a Lexus dealer. This kind of and the 2009 TSX quality and support problems have convinced me this is the only Acura I'll own.