2004 TSX- Airbags Deployed OUT OF NOWHERE

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:02 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
2004 TSX- Airbags Deployed OUT OF NOWHERE

Hey guys. My friend isn't as active on this forum because he has a TSX and he's on the Club instead of here. Can you guys help him out because this seems like a lot of bullsh*t from Acura.

Originally Posted by Johnny.Ly
That's right. you read right. just my luck. so I was driving on the 91 freeway heading to one of my friends' 4th of July Parties, when all the sudden, i heard a Loud "POP" sound. Thinking I hit something, i slowed down and pulled over to inspect the damage.

Turns out, I didn't hit anything AT ALL. Passenger Side Airbags Deployed OUT OF NOWHERE.

Looks like i'm staying home alone tonight, on a day where everyone should be spending Time with family and/or friends. Not to mention the fact that I have a Vegas trip July 15th, so I need a car to drive. Time to make trip number 4 to the Acura Dealer. I'm not paying a single penny for them to fix this. If they refuse, i'm suing. I could've gotten killed if the driverside deployed.

UPDATE #1:
Contacted Weir Canyon Acura. Frank @ Service said I should contact my insurance company to repair the damage. **** THAT. No way in hell is insurance paying for something that's CLEARLY an Acura defect. Acura's paying for that shit, or lawsuit time.

Time to take it to the Acura of Riverside guys and give them a piece of my mind in person.

UPDATE 2:

Brought the car to Acura of Riverside. Service Manager Wally said one slightly "bent" bolt threw out code F411 to trigger the airbag to go off? Bolt's been "bent" for at least 6 months now, and i remember seeing that when i changed my oil the other day. IT might have been caused when I hit a plastic bottle 6 months ago, but I doubt it caused it. Regardless, no way in hell something like that would cause the airbags to go off...6 months later. That and I heard that 2 sensors are supposed to be triggered in order for the airbags to go off. Service Manager only gave me one. I call straight BS. he's just giving me the run around. He's telling me to contact insurance, just like the Weir canyon guys. I say Hell no. No way i'm paying $500 deductible for something I DID NOT DO.

Unfortunately, customer service is closed today, so i'm going to contact some lawyers today. any recommendations on who to call in the southern california (preferably inland empire) area?

I have to take my car to Weir Canyon Acura to get it checked out. They're sending someone from corporate to take a look at my car as well. According to them, more than likely they're not going to fix it. so basically i'm screwed for something i didnt do. this car's given me nothing but headaches the last month, with the clutch going out and now airbags deployed, which sets me back over $1000 in one month, just to get my car back up and running, in the 7 months of ownership.

I'm seriously thinking about selling this thing and moving on to another car.

i called a lawyer, and they said that i can't sue them because i would have to hire someone to test the product to see if their really is a factory defect, which would cost $10,000 to $20,000. looks like the only other option I have is to call honda corporate and convince them to fix my car. last resort is to go contact insurance and pay that deductible. MAYBE the insurance won't charge me the deductible since it's not my fault, but until honestly, this is ridiculous, and shouldn't even have to be an issue.

sorry for the delay, but I have yet another UPDATE:

My Insurance Company (Wawanesa) inspected my car, (twice actually, but i'll save that for another day), took pictures, and said that they won't fix my car because they believe that it's a manufacturer defect, and that I should take it back to get inspected by the Acura Dealer. WTF. I have Comprehensive coverage, mind you. I honestly don't understand why both Acura and Wawanesa are pointing fingers at each other, yet i'm the one getting screwed over here. So it's been over a month since this incident occured, yet i'm STILL right back where I started. I'm tired of this bullshit and I don't even have a clue as to what I should do. If I take it back to the Acura dealer, i'm just going to get denied again, and it's going to be a never ending cycle.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Tell him to send Acura corporate a box containing an airbag that deploys when they open it.

Seriously though...I remember VW had a problem a few years ago with random airbag deployments. Not sure what came of it though. This is some serious .
Old 08-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Are those the new Junction Produce curtains?

But really, good luck with getting this solved, that is bs...Go after the insurance company as well, since they denied you and you have comp coverage.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:36 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
not cool
Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 AM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have insurance pay for it and let the insurance company go after acura.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i've heard some benz's have this problem, but from what i understand, the dealership fixes everything
pretty shitty on acura's part for this whole situation.
hope he gets this resolved, but all i can think of is to keep calling everyone from acura over and over again untill he gets higher up, or pisses someone off enough to finally fix it for him.
and if it is a bent bolt that caused it, why wouldn't that be covered under insurance since it is damage of some sort that caused the airbags to deploy...
Old 08-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Call your local news guy, This would make an awesome 10pm news story!!!!!

GUARANTEED To get ACURA's attention !
Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
1. Contact NHSTA about the defect. That's all they deal with. You may not be the only one that has reported the problem.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Air+Bags

File a safety complaint (since this has to deal with air bags):

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^ - Yes
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
I've heard this happening in BMW E46s before.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=28899
Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
1. Contact NHSTA about the defect. That's all they deal with. You may not be the only one that has reported the problem.

+2

That's a load of crap you got there. Aside from all this, I would definitely take it to the news, that should get someone's attention, ESPECIALLY these days with how sensitive the manufacturers are now with potential recalls..
Old 08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
What Sly said, and then maybe contact the local news. Call the dealers out. I would be furious.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:14 PM

I forward it to him. Thanks.

Regarding to taking it to the local news. The thing is, we live in the LA/OC area. Don't know if this kind of news can fit into everything that goes on around here....
Old 08-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
This has been happening in E46's for a while now, sometimes because of a pothole and others just sporadically. BMWNA has been paying to fix every car I've heard of, regardless of what caused it.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:47 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Might as well try to get the news involved
Old 08-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
This has been happening in E46's for a while now, sometimes because of a pothole and others just sporadically. BMWNA has been paying to fix every car I've heard of, regardless of what caused it.
I know the last gen CLK cabriolets, when hitting a pothole hard enough, the rear seat headrest/rollbar would deploy (shoot up). It's a quick fix though, which the owner can do themselves..
Old 08-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
I know the last gen CLK cabriolets, when hitting a pothole hard enough, the rear seat headrest/rollbar would deploy (shoot up). It's a quick fix though, which the owner can do themselves..
I've actually heard about that happening with an E46 convertible before too, thought it happened with the top up and destroyed the guys roof...
Old 08-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
I've always heard of excellent customer service from BMW. That is the reason why my cousin owns three of them.

Acura is starting to piss me off though because I'm mad for my friend and also mad because Acura has also denied me of service under warranty like squeeking clutch, squeeking steering wheel, and squeeking seats.

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 08-08-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts

+3

This is and in the meantime he doesn't have a car to drive. After being jerked around by Acura on what's an obvious defect, I'd try to sue too, that lawyer's advice nonwithstanding. The insurance company was in the right for now paying--it's obviously an Acura problem.

Your bud has only owned the car a few months. This implies he bought it used. Did he use Autocheck/Carfax to look for an accident from any of the prior owners? Any previous repairs? I know those services are not perfect, but a bad enough accident should show up.

I have never heard of this happening in an Acura.

Last edited by neuronbob; 08-08-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

mdkxtreme, I would seriously call some news agencies and tell them you have a semi-lixury car that the passenger-side airbags went for no reason whatsoever. Tell them that you have been to XXXXX Acura and XXXXXX Acura and they would not help you. Tell the news agencies you're trying to warn other people of this happening with other Acuras.

If the Acura dealers don't see the news and don't replace the airbags for free, then contact a lawyer, Acura HQ, whatever you need to do.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

The news will contact the Dealer, dealer will immediately change their story, everything will be replaced before you can say negative publicity.

Dealers where probably just seeing if you would suck it up and eat the cost, they know they are in the wrong.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Get the media involved. As much as we hate the fact that they LOVE bad news, it can work in your friend's favor in this case.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Get the media involved. As much as we hate the fact that they LOVE bad news, it can work in your friend's favor in this case.
Bingo! The dealers will loathe negative publicity. The general public will say, "These are the dealers that won't replace the airbags. Let's go somewhere else for our service."
Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
I also have to agree with the 'go public with the media' angle. Negative press greases the wheels like nothing else in situations such as this.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
You seemed to get some decent feedback here, but I am thinking you will have much better communication in the TSX forum. There other TSX owners can see this and will be able to chime in if they have had any similar experiences as well... which may make for an even stronger case with your friend.

Fellow mods... feel free to re-adjust as necessary
Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, that's crazy. And also really messed up that they won't fix it!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
+3

Your bud has only owned the car a few months. This implies he bought it used. Did he use Autocheck/Carfax to look for an accident from any of the prior owners? Any previous repairs? I know those services are not perfect, but a bad enough accident should show up.

I have never heard of this happening in an Acura.
Wow.... finally a passage in this thread that might actually have some merit. It certainly does sound like not all the fact are in on this unusual occurrence (and it's interesting how we all hate the lawyers until the sheep start to bleat... sue!... sue!... sue!...). I'm inclined to think prior damage with a second accident waiting to happen (one sensor tripped with the other one on the bubble). I'd want to know allot more about this before I start blaming anyone (or anything) but a questionable story.

Boy..... I'm really surprised at how so many are willing to automatically suspect the worst of Honda and there's quite a bit of perhaps misdirected anger it here it seems.....
Old 08-09-2010, 03:34 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
Wow.... finally a passage in this thread that might actually have some merit. It certainly does sound like not all the fact are in on this unusual occurrence (and it's interesting how we all hate the lawyers until the sheep start to bleat... sue!... sue!... sue!...). I'm inclined to think prior damage with a second accident waiting to happen (one sensor tripped with the other one on the bubble). I'd want to know allot more about this before I start blaming anyone (or anything) but a questionable story.

Boy..... I'm really surprised at how so many are willing to automatically suspect the worst of Honda and there's quite a bit of perhaps misdirected anger it here it seems.....
I agree
Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 PM

I don't get how this is NOT Honda/Acura's fault for not fixing a defect?

Hate to burst your little bubble but the car has not been in an accident. Clean carfax report.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I didn't claim Honda wasn't at fault, but I'm of the opinion that there has to be more to this than all of a sudden the side bags let go. It may well be a no hit car, and the carfax report is an indicator of that, but I'm skeptical. And sorry to burst your bubble, but carfax is easy to beat (like thousands others, I've done it). It's a tool in the buying process, but little more.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM

I didn't claim Honda wasn't at fault, but I'm of the opinion that there has to be more to this than all of a sudden the side bags let go. It may well be a no hit car, and the carfax report is an indicator of that, but I'm skeptical. And sorry to burst your bubble, but carfax is easy to beat (like thousands others, I've done it). It's a tool in the buying process, but little more.
I know carfax isn't perfect and so is equifax. But what else can he prove that the car hasn't been in an accident? You said it's hard to believe that airbags pop out of nowhere, but did you read the previous post that this has happened on some BMW's and Mercedes? Why not be skeptical of those guys?

My friend is not even out to my a quick buck from Acura. He's just trying to get them to fix something that he didn't do. Plenty of Acuras (or cars in general) have been in real accidents, how come you don't hear about those cars having airbags pop out of nowhere?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:07 PM

Any ways, I submitted my friend's story to Fox and ABC via their website. Hopefully the get my message/email. I would call but I hate pressing a bunch of numbers just to get to the right person.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation

Wait. His story needs clarification.

He says while driving, he heard a loud POP. So he pulls over to the shoulder to investigate, and THEN he notices that side curtain Air bags have deployed?

That makes absolutely NO SENSE. So did not notice them deploy after he heard the pop? Because its pretty noticable with the bags hanging down like that.

So when did the side curtain airbags deploy? I'm not putting my Law School thinking cap on this one but his story isn't worded with the most details.

Can someone clarify?

Last edited by xenonhid; 08-09-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid

He says while driving, he heard a loud POP. So he pulls over to the shoulder to investigate, and THEN he notices that side curtain Air bags have deployed?

That makes absolutely NO SENSE. So did not notice them deploy after he heard the pop? Because its pretty noticable with the bags hanging down like that.
It's definitely believable. I've heard all kinds of stories about people hearing weird noises and not recognizing what exactly caused the noise, until they're able to stop and inspect the damage.

It's common with people who hear a loud crash to not figure out what the issue was until they pull over. That loud crashing noise is the sound of a rock being thrown through a car window, breaking the window.

I can believe it. I've heard about these things happening before with people. Popping sounds, crashing sounds, etc. but they don't figure out what caused the sound till they pull over.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Photographer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
holy crap batman that's alot of posts.

i'm going to try to answer everyone's question before they all point the finger on me.

1. Car has not been involved in an accident. Clean Carfax. Matching Vin stickers are still in tact on all doors, bumpers, hood, etc etc.

2. I noticed the airbags deployed while I was still driving on the freeway, shortly after I heard the loud pop (I was looking around my surroundings to see if I hit something or whatever)

3. I contacted a lawyer a month ago to see if I can file a lawsuit. Lawyer said I need evidence stating that it's a manufacturer defect, and in order to do so, I would need to hire someone to get the airbags tested, which would cost upwards of $15,000 (yes, FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS). He said it wouldn't be worth it, especially since I wasn't injured.

Insurance said that they were going to send me papers to give to the Acura Dealer stating that the airbags deploying is caused by a manufacturer defect, not from an accident, but it's been almost a week already and they haven't sent/faxed me anything. Wawanesa is based in San Diego, mind you. (i'm an hour north of San Diego) They also said that they were supposed to call me the following day (which they said a week ago), and yet, they haven't kept their promise. I called them last week, to no avail, so i left a message. To this day, one week later, they haven't called me back. I called them earlier today, same thing, nobody picked up, so i left ANOTHER message.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. By the way my insurance company is handling things and treating their client, they don't deserve the money I pay to get my car insured, "Comprehensive" my ass.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by xenonhid

So when did the side curtain airbags deploy? I'm not putting my Law School thinking cap on this one but his story isn't worded with the most details.

Can someone clarify?
That loud POP was the airbag deployment. He noticed it already. That's why he pulled over to see if he hit anything.

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 08-10-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like the car was damaged by the previous owner and perhaps not repaired properly...but something this serious should be fixed by the dealership
Old 08-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Photographer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Sounds like the car was damaged by the previous owner and perhaps not repaired properly...but something this serious should be fixed by the dealership
the car was NOT damaged prior to me buying it. It has NEVER been involved in an accident.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another problem I see:

WAWANESA INSURANCE

Low prices BUT HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, insurance company. I once bought auto insurance years ago from this company and it was a experience that made me only buy auto insurance from large companies from that point after.

I was in a car accident years ago where the other driver was found at fault. Wawanesa even sent me a paper after their findings stating the other driver was at fault after I provided them my statement and pictures I took after the accident. However, they assigned a new adjuster to my claim every few months and lost all the contact information from my witnesses. When I asked them how did this happen, the new person just blamed the previous saying he/she kept bad records. WTF? I suspect this company has a high turn-over rate.

By the time someone competent was on the case, my witnesses had either changed numbers or moved. They send me another letter a year after the accident saying they decided to close the case and not pursue the other driver even though that person had insurance.

After that experience, I can tell you one thing, do yourself a favor and buy from a large company.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know that there has to be an accident for airbags to go off. I think there was a Youtube video that was popular few months ago about an old lady who set off the front airbag of a car that honked at her by slapping at the front of the car with her hand bag.

Quick Reply: 2004 TSX- Airbags Deployed OUT OF NOWHERE