What should I fabricate for the 1st Gens?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by vishnus11
are the legend and our 3.2 1G's mechanically identical down to a T, or have our platoforms been strengthened and reworked (in the 1G tl)?
The 1st gen TL is a heavily modified Vigor, so much that its really its own platform.

The 3.2 TL is even more unique, using quite a few structural parts from the front end of the Legend. The front suspension is different, though the anti-sway bars are very similar (and you can swap them)
Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The 1st gen TL is a heavily modified Vigor, so much that its really its own platform.

The 3.2 TL is even more unique, using quite a few structural parts from the front end of the Legend. The front suspension is different, though the anti-sway bars are very similar (and you can swap them)
So which platform is more structurally rigid?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

So which platform is more structurally rigid?
sorry, i meant to say, is the 1st gen TL platform more stiffer than the Legend platform?

The 1st gen RL is based on the global USDM platform right?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

The RL is based on the Legend platform but is heavily reinforced. The 1st gen TL is unfortunately slightly less rigid than the Legend and quite a bit less than the RL.

Frameless windows and thinner A and B pillars contribute to this.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
are the legend and our 3.2 1G's mechanically identical down to a T, or have our platoforms been strengthened and reworked (in the 1G tl)?

I have to give the 2G legend coupe props though. That has to have been the best all round car on sale for the 90's. I mean seriously, Mem. seats, heated seats, power steerig column, TCS, ABS, 6 SPEED TRANNY!!!, 230hp, Bose stereo, a respectable 26mpg on the freeway. I mean this thing had every feature you could want under the sun, honda reliability, and BAD ASS styling. I was even readin something the other day about it have "self-closing" doors - when you pulled the doors close, it would sorta "assist" in shutting them. I wish someone had a video of this - sounds pretty neat.
i really have nothing to add to all this talk other then my brothers legends' doors dose 'help' shut itself.. very cool... lol.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smonster can you post pics of your car....if it is your car in your Avatar that is....that shit looks super nice....idk what it is....but something about it made me ask for more pics....so when you get the chance please. thanks in advance
Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The RL is based on the Legend platform but is heavily reinforced. The 1st gen TL is unfortunately slightly less rigid than the Legend and quite a bit less than the RL.

Frameless windows and thinner A and B pillars contribute to this.
I think I have to disagree with you here because of something I read. As you know, Subaru's also have frameless windows. I remember reading something in Motortrend during the launch of the new outback a while ago, in which a Subaru engineer said that their reasons for doing frameless windows was because adding the metal that would normally go on the door frame to the frame of the car would me more beneficial to structural rigidity. At least thats what I remember, but if anyone has more info on this please correct.

Would there be any other reason why our 1st gens have frameless windows? Regardless of whether there's a real reason or not, I LOVE them.

P.S. Not trying to hijack Smonsters thread but figured it would be Ok to let the thread drift until he posts pics of the lcd mount.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

I think I have to disagree with you here because of something I read. As you know, Subaru's also have frameless windows. I remember reading something in Motortrend during the launch of the new outback a while ago, in which a Subaru engineer said that their reasons for doing frameless windows was because adding the metal that would normally go on the door frame to the frame of the car would me more beneficial to structural rigidity. At least thats what I remember, but if anyone has more info on this please correct.

Would there be any other reason why our 1st gens have frameless windows? Regardless of whether there's a real reason or not, I LOVE them.

P.S. Not trying to hijack Smonsters thread but figured it would be Ok to let the thread drift until he posts pics of the lcd mount.
Partly true about Subaru's reasons.. keep in mind that doors are "holes" in structural rigidity, so a window frame does help keep things tight, I dont know by how much, thats out of my field.

My girlfriend has a Subaru and that car is pretty solid, including around the doors and windows. Time will tell how it holds up.

Reason why our 1st gen TL's have frameless windows? The Vigor did, though I'm sure it was a styling reason rather than a technical one.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the next car I get may be a 2nd gen. RL, the ones that are shaped like our TLs but a little bigger and more defined. The interior of those blows my mind.

I am trying to finish the mount, it was difficult to pull the LCD panel and circuit boards out of their housing, I am going to go make the frame now and then it just needs to be glassed....it will be ready very soon.

steadyACridin: Thanks, I will definetly post some more pics once I upload them to the web, the other side of the car is not quite as nice, it needs some touch up paint on the fender.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wouldn't give up my frameless windows for NUTTING on the TL, something about have the doors open with the windows down that just look SOOOOO cool with frameless windows.....
Old 04-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cornflake
Wouldn't give up my frameless windows for NUTTING on the TL, something about have the doors open with the windows down that just look SOOOOO cool with frameless windows.....

talk about pimp! I love those things.