Major Problem--head Gasket Blown

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:12 AM
ACURA 3.2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Problem--head Gasket Blown

I had my first major problem with my TL, Its a 97 3.2 with 178,000 miles. I recently went to Atlanta from NJ and my thermostat failed and caused the rear cyd head gasket to blow. I replaced the thermostat but to do the head gaskets it would cost $2300 at the Acura dealer in Georgia. Just to run the test to check if the gasket was blown was $80. I told them I wanted to drive it back to NJ so I could get it fixed at my Acura dealer where people know me and how often I bring my car in to be serviced. I dont know how but I made it all the way back from georgia to NJ about 30 miles from Atlantic City. Temp gauage went hot and I shut it down, had it towed from there to Acura dealer.

My associate who is a master tech at the acura dealer is going to fix the car for me and charge me maybe half of $2300, today is the first day he looked at the car, I dont know how things are going to turn out once he starts taking the engine apart. He said he is going to change all of the head gaskets and would call me in maybe a week or so.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is my engine going to run the same before this happened, when the gaskets are replaced? Should I just trade it in now? Is it worth the fix? Let me know what you guys think or what you would do if it was your 3.2!!

Thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 11:24 AM

Holy $hit, $2300 ? That just doesn't sound right.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:46 AM
ACURA 3.2

Originally Posted by Chemmech
Holy $hit, $2300 ? That just doesn't sound right.
What does sound right??
Old 03-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OK man, had the same problem, that is what has led me to the now 3 month long journey of my Type II Swap. My dealer wanted $1700 for the head gasket change. I am now in the process of cleaning up a Type II engine from a '95 legend. changing Every single gasket in the motor pretty much, timing belt, water pump, etc etc and the total bill INCLUDING the motor is going to be about $3200 CDN. The head gasket job shouldn't cost more than $!000 - $1400 US at a dealer, and if you know the guy it should be even less. Just make sure that when he puts the heads back on after changing the gasket, that he OVER-TORQUES them by 5-8 ft-lbs. Also this is a good time to check ALL of the cooling system, rad, hoses, etc. I am changing EVERY hose on my car now to get another 200000 kms out of her, I am also replacing the rad. The biggest problem with our cars is the cooling system as soon as one component fails, it cuses the blown head gasket. If you need any more info, go over to www.acura-legend.com there is a TONNE of info there about this problem.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:50 PM
ACURA 3.2

Originally Posted by Cornflake
OK man, had the same problem, that is what has led me to the now 3 month long journey of my Type II Swap. My dealer wanted $1700 for the head gasket change. I am now in the process of cleaning up a Type II engine from a '95 legend. changing Every single gasket in the motor pretty much, timing belt, water pump, etc etc and the total bill INCLUDING the motor is going to be about $3200 CDN. The head gasket job shouldn't cost more than $!000 - $1400 US at a dealer, and if you know the guy it should be even less. Just make sure that when he puts the heads back on after changing the gasket, that he OVER-TORQUES them by 5-8 ft-lbs. Also this is a good time to check ALL of the cooling system, rad, hoses, etc. I am changing EVERY hose on my car now to get another 200000 kms out of her, I am also replacing the rad. The biggest problem with our cars is the cooling system as soon as one component fails, it cuses the blown head gasket. If you need any more info, go over to www.acura-legend.com there is a TONNE of info there about this problem.
After the gaskets are replaced, will the car run as normal or will it have that old feeling like its on its last leg. I jus want to know will I still want the car after they change the gaskets. When Your gasket blows is there anything else to be worried about besides the head being cracked? What does a blown gasket say about the life you have left in your car??
Old 03-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

As long as you replace them as soon as possible, and don't keep driving the car, you'll be fine. Over-torquing the heads after the replacement will help the new Head Gasket last longer. As long as you haven't been driving all over the place with the car overheating, it should run good as new once you get the head gaskets changed.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:01 PM
ACURA 3.2

As long as you replace them as soon as possible, and don't keep driving the car, you'll be fine. Over-torquing the heads after the replacement will help the new Head Gasket last longer. As long as you haven't been driving all over the place with the car overheating, it should run good as new once you get the head gaskets changed.
Thanks for the helpful info, I hope its not that bad. I dont want to trade my TL, I love this car!!
Old 03-22-2005, 02:10 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
if your head isn't cracked you should make sure your mechanic checks to see if it's warped or anything because i know something really small can mess everything up and have you back in the shop if i were you i would make him show you in person and explain exactly what is/isn't wrong before he goes putting it back together. just a good idea ya know..
Old 03-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

True, but that can get very expensive too. The best way to check is to have the block out of the car and just get it decked, as well as the heads. That turns into almost a re-build though. He can use a flat-edge to check for MAJOR warpage, but it won't tell you if there is anything very small. I think you'll be ok if it didn't overheat that much.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Racer

looks like the Type I in the TL is starting to have the same problems has the acura legends (G2).

The headgasket is probably the most expensive thing that goes out on our engine. Well it's inexpensive, but labor is what costs the most.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Advanced

I replaced my head gaskets three months ago. The dealer wanted $2,000 - you are kidding yourself if you think a DEALER is going to do it for less than that. I took it to a local shop & it was $930. The big problem is that Fel-Pro & Dana Victor do not make aftermarket gaskets so it is likely that you have to buy OEM gaskets. After I got the CHG's replaced it was fine.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:33 PM
ACURA 3.2

Originally Posted by Scottman111
if your head isn't cracked you should make sure your mechanic checks to see if it's warped or anything because i know something really small can mess everything up and have you back in the shop if i were you i would make him show you in person and explain exactly what is/isn't wrong before he goes putting it back together. just a good idea ya know..
He said he has to send the heads off to get checked and maybe machined down for the new gaskets to fit properly. Thats going to take a week or so after he gets the engine apart.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:34 PM
ACURA 3.2

Originally Posted by GSteg
looks like the Type I in the TL is starting to have the same problems has the acura legends (G2).

The headgasket is probably the most expensive thing that goes out on our engine. Well it's inexpensive, but labor is what costs the most.
How much do head gaskets cost??
Old 03-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

$65 CDN each side. $2000 from the dealer is EXPENSIVE STILL!!! Like I said, my dealer was going to do the head gaskets for $1700 CDN, that's about $1400 US. That's not too bad really. Still alot of money, but it REALLY IS a pain in the ass job.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to hear about your troubles. Didnt know that a failed thermostat could blow a head gasket. Since the thermostat in mine is proly the original, I'm gonna change it soon, ESPECIALLY after hearing this. Hope everything gets fixed and your baby rides like new again.

Also think about getting a Type II legend motor. I'm sure you could pick one up and install it for around similar $$$ that you might end up paying to replace the head gasket. Plus, once the old motor is out, you can install a new gasket, and sell it. Just a thought.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Which thermostat needed to be replaced ?
I have 198k miles on it and I should change it before it causes any majore damage to my car
Old 03-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

At 198000 miles, I would give your ENTIRE cooling system a once over. Check all the hoses, check the RAD, check the Rad CAP, and replacing the thermostat isn't gonna hurt anything. Keeping the cooling system in check on our cars seems to be the bet way to prevent major problems with the head gasket.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

At 198000 miles, I would give your ENTIRE cooling system a once over. Check all the hoses, check the RAD, check the Rad CAP, and replacing the thermostat isn't gonna hurt anything. Keeping the cooling system in check on our cars seems to be the bet way to prevent major problems with the head gasket.
thanks for the heads up.
Radiator has just been replaced. I guess it's time to change the hose and thermostat .
Where is the t-stat located ? Is it easy to change out ?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:56 AM
ACURA 3.2

Angry

Its been almost 2 weeks and still no car.........................
Old 04-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by BCASH101
Its been almost 2 weeks and still no car.........................
HAHAHA....Dude, I feel your pain, but you won't get much sympathy here.... Going on over 3 MONTHS now without my Ack. MAJOR problems now with the motor I bought, sent a head out to get fixed for a scratched camshaft, they said they fixed it, it's no beter. PLUS now there is a dent in the bottom of the head at one of the coolant passages, looks like they dropped it! SO NOW I am trying to locate a head for a Legend Type II but no-one's got any, they only have full motors. I am NOT buying another type II whole MTOR! I am going INSANE!!! I think I'll just have to oreder one from car-part.com from the US and work with that.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:15 AM
ACURA 3.2

I feel you........... somebody would have got fuc*** up by now if they had my car three months and wasnt finshed yet. Im so use to having my whip, feel so naked.................
Old 04-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Yup. But I can't blame the mechanic it's not his fault. The damned scrapyard is screwing me!! And not in a good way either!!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:51 PM
ACURA 3.2

Yup. But I can't blame the mechanic it's not his fault. The damned scrapyard is screwing me!! And not in a good way either!!
Did you find out if someone dropped your heads?? If they did shouldnt they be trying to help get things right??
Old 04-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Racer

gaskets are around $250 for both side last i checked

labor owns us. changing gaskets on other honda's 4 cyl is easy as hell, but our engines are PITA
Old 04-02-2005, 11:19 PM
LDH
I

gaskets are around $250 for both side last i checked

labor owns us. changing gaskets on other honda's 4 cyl is easy as hell, but our engines are PITA
of course 4 cyls are easy theres only one head to pull and theres space to work with.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
yeah t-stat is cheap... it runs off the lower radiator hose if i am not mistaken... the part is like maybe 15 bucks but can save you alot of money in the long run.. i like to change it every 100k miles..i mean u are changing the coolant at the same time.. its preventative... just like changing out ur timing belt early to prevent an engine seize if the belt breaks... good luck with that.. im currently having a problem with my beater car.. it wouldn't start at all these past two days...
Old 04-05-2005, 11:02 PM
ACURA 3.2

Went to check on my car today, Im suppose to pick it up tommorrow. Mechanic charging me $1100, Not even worried about the money at this point. I jus want my car............. Hopefully I will have some good news for you guys tommorrow.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by LDH
of course 4 cyls are easy theres only one head to pull and theres space to work with.
Does this mean that the 5-cyl is easy too? I don't have any problems but it might need that later in its life. I have 185 500km on mine. When should I get the cooling system inspected? I had it inspected 1 year ago when I bought the car, which came from a very anal asian couple who brought it in if it farted wrong.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:27 PM
ACURA 3.2

Cool

Got my 3.2 back today!! All gaskets replaced,Heads rebuilt and shaved, New spark plugs, oil change, coolant flush and refill. Only drove home so far but everything feels good.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LDH

no. even an accord's V6 engine is easier to change than the c32 block

our engines sits in a longitudinal fashion so lifting the heads and manifold out be bending over is gonna cause some back pain if you are not careful.

Take the accord V6 (which is mounted latitudinally) and change its gasket. Its just as easy as the 4cyl, except it takes more time because you gotta do both sides.

Not to mention, the V6 sits closer out to the front of the car so u don't have to really get in there to pull it out.

i've looked at my uncle's work on many V6s before and he told me my car is a bitch to do, which is why he advise me not to get my car in the first place.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:37 PM
LDH
I

i've looked at my uncle's work on many V6s before and he told me my car is a bitch to do, which is why he advise me not to get my car in the first place.
yea...that fender ripple is pretty damn ugly.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by BCASH101
Got my 3.2 back today!! All gaskets replaced,Heads rebuilt and shaved, New spark plugs, oil change, coolant flush and refill. Only drove home so far but everything feels good.
Good stuff! Hopefully I'll be in the same boat not too long from now!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:42 PM
ACURA 3.2

Talking

Since I got my car back I must say Im suprised, after having my car back a week and waiting 3 weeks for the car to be repaired, I must say the car is running so sweet right now. I can really feel the difference, SO SMOOTH!! Power and Pick up, Im glad this turned out good, I didnt and wont ever trade this car.............. Its a keeper!!!!!