Loose metal piece in front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Loose metal piece in front wheel

Does anyone know what this part on the front wheel does? My car recently started making a rubbing/scraping noise in the front driver side wheel, which is the same wheel that took the impact from the accident I had in November. I started poking around in there and found that the metal piece that I pointed out in the picture is detached, but still stuck between the other parts of the wheel. I tried to wiggle it out because it doesn't seem to be necessary for driving, but I couldn't get it out. I'm suspicious that it has something to do with the emergency brake because the other day I used it, but I haven't used it in a long time. I could probably cut it off if I had the right tool, but if I can salvage the part, then I probably should. I don't know if it is broken apart or if it is something that I can fix by snapping something back into a slot or what. Any ideas? The only way I can access it right now is to turn the wheel all the way to the left. Because it's on the inner side of the brake, I'm not sure if I could access it by removing the wheel, but if it's broken, then maybe....

Old 05-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's the splash guard for the brake.

Might be a loose bolt...

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
Old 05-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
Or some may refer to them as a brake dust shield. You'll figure it out once you take the wheel off.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember back when I had my TL, one of the dust shields was partially rusted and it used to make this annoying scraping noise. At some point I got tired of it and ripped it off (it was partially rusted so it wasn't too difficult).
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Instructor

I'm wondering if my dust shield is rusted, too, but I'm going to try to take the wheel off to see what exactly is going on. I just came in to ask you guys if you knew any tricks to loosening the lug nuts on the wheel and I'm now remembering that the manual said to put the parking brake on and I forgot to do that. I am following the instructions for changing a flat tire and I had to take all the crap out of my trunk (three antique outboard motors and parts, lol) to get to the tire changing kit, which is all corroded and rusty (yuck!). Then once I had placed the jack under the little plate, it started raining and I had to put all the crap back in the trunk. The sun is out again, so I guess I will put the parking brake on and try again. I can't wait to tell my dad that I fixed the problem by myself because last night when I told him about it he told me that he's not my mechanic and I have to bring the car to three different places to get their opinions. Nope, not if I can do it myself! You guys are a huge help, thank you!
Old 05-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Tried it with the parking brake on and still could not get it. Even dragged my boyfriend out and he couldn't do it. Is it okay to put DW-40 on the lug nuts?
Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Should be okay. Just do not put anti-sieze on the threads...

Get a large breaker bar for leverage. Or put a pipe on the tire iron. Or jump up and down on the tire iron. Just don't fall off!

Get a torque wrench to properly torque the lugs down. 80 ft-lbs I believe.

Harbour Freight is your friend...
Old 05-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Instructor

I got the lug nuts loose with the WD-40 and by jumping on the tire iron. Once the wheel was off, the dust shield came right out, and sure enough, it is rusted, but I guess not enough the I could pull it out without removing the wheel. I'm so excited that I did it myself!

I put the wheel back on and lowered the car off the jack, but the lug nuts aren't super tight. I think I'm going to see if I can buy the part and then, after installing it, put the wheel back on with the lug nuts really tight. It was so hard to get them off that I'd rather not go through that again in the next few days. I put the tool kit on the floor of the driver's seat and the manual on the seat so if I forget and try to drive it, I'll remember that the lug nuts need to be tightened more.

Okay, picture time!

(Oops, yeah, I put the wheel face down in the dirt and the manual warns not to because it could get scratched. Mine is already scratched from the accident so oh well.)

Anyone know where to get this part? I couldn't find a part number on it... is it generic?
Old 05-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Oh duh, forget my last question -- I just reread adventurecrv's post in the beginning and saw that he posted the link to the Delray site. I think I looked at it quick and thought it was part of a forum signature, lol. Thanks, adventure!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Man! That rusty piece of metal is almost fifty bucks?! Yikes.... I live on a dirt road... do I need it?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Try the junk/salvage yards. I would tighten down those lug nuts if I were you. It shouldn't be hard to take off again since you broke them loose the first time in a long time already. Nice work!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Do I have to use a torque wrench to tighten them or can I just jump on the tire iron in the other direction? Does "80 ft-lbs." mean you have to apply 80 lbs. of pressure? I weigh about 107 lbs.....
Old 05-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Buy yourself a torque wrench and a 19mm deep socket...They are $21.99 at Harbour Frieght right now.

If you don't torque them you could lose a wheel (too loose they come off), warp your brake rotors (uneven/over torque), break at stud (over torque), or run into another situation where you cannot get the wheel off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound-foot_%28torque%29

Yeah, $50 for a piece of metal...

Good job BTW!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, don't jump on that tire iron to tighten the lug nuts, lol. You need to evenly tighten each nut down in a cross pattern. I usually use a 4-way lug wrench to tighten the lug nuts when a torque wrench is not around. But of course, I do this often so I know exactly how much I need to tighten the nuts without it being too loose or tight.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
It is actually a cooler for the brake. It actually diverts air to the brake pads for cooling.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Instructor

I tightened the lug nuts as tight as I could (without jumping on the wrench, lol) and then I drove it down to the town hall to get it registered. Still had four wheels when I came back, whew! I checked the nuts again and they seemed to be okay, but when I get the car inspected, I will ask the mechanic to use their tools to tighten them again to ensure that it gets done right. I think I got it pretty good because I pushed the wheel flat against the plate it bolts onto and tightened it as best I could in a cross pattern.

Mandy, are you suggesting that I get that rusty part replaced because the brakes will heat up too much without it?

By the way, guess what, guys?! I got a headlight and tacks for the bumper for my birthday! I'm gonna pass inspection and the old girl will be on the road for another year! My dad still has the headlight and tacks at his house, so I have to drive there so we can put everything back together and then bring her to a local shop for inspection. He's borrowing that code scanner I bought to use on his truck so I think I can predict where all my tools will end up after I buy them, lol. Ohh, I should get a quote on the timing belt/water pump job when I go in for inspection.... If I got that done, maybe I wouldn't have to drive like an old lady.