FInally achieved 25mpg!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:35 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
^ The thing is that using the wrong terminology changes the entire statement. You have to be specific with your words so that your meaning will get across.

The throttle controls how much air is allowed in the manifold, and is limited by the intake piping/filter. The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) tells the ECU how much air should be there based on the size of the factory manifold, and the ECU pulses the injectors more or less based on that position. That's also limited by the fuel rail, pump, filter efficiency, and the injector itself.

If you want to go and save gas, a K&N drop-in panel filter, removal of the intake resonators, and over inflating your existing tires to 36PSI will give you a noticeable improvement, all for about $50-60.

What are your goals? Better to get that out in the open so we are on the same page. If you're going to try to make the car your super gas saver, then do the above and use nitrogen in the tires, lose any extraneous stuff in the trunk, etc., don't drive fat friends, the list goes on. Basically try to reduce your mass by as much as possible without compromising safety and not only will you burn less gas, the gas you do burn will be used more efficiently, which leads back to burning less gas again.

Acceleration up, gas consumption down. Then since the car has less mass, it will stop easier, too, using the OE brakes. You should know this since science is your forte; this is physics.

~Cheers~
Old 10-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Go90go
If you want to go and save gas, a K&N drop-in panel filter, removal of the intake resonators, and over inflating your existing tires to 36PSI will give you a noticeable improvement, all for about $50-60.

What are your goals? Better to get that out in the open so we are on the same page. If you're going to try to make the car your super gas saver, then do the above and use nitrogen in the tires, lose any extraneous stuff in the trunk, etc., don't drive fat friends, the list goes on. Basically try to reduce your mass by as much as possible without compromising safety and not only will you burn less gas, the gas you do burn will be used more efficiently, which leads back to burning less gas again.
I have a K&N air filter-my first investment, is the air-filter put into the box what you meant? I am in the process of removing the resonator, but I think I'm going to remove the air-filter box and just slap a cone-filter on the end of my MAF. I know the pipe from the resonator is said to be 3", but is this end of the MAF a 3" or... 2.5"?

I love the concept of Nitrogen filled tires. Not only are nitrogen molecules larger than oxygen and thus have a slower leak, but the gas is inert and therefore doesn't damage the rubber from the inside-out.

LMAO, don't drive fat friends... I cannot pick my passengers, but I try. Yes, science is my forte... I'm a biotechnician with a love for biology and particle physics... ;D

Talk nerdy to me, and we'll get along just fine. I am just a bit alien to this automechanics..

Last edited by 石春林; 10-06-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Instructor

What are your goals? Better to get that out in the open so we are on the same page. If you're going to try to make the car your super gas saver, ...Basically try to reduce your mass by as much as possible without compromising safety and not only will you burn less gas, the gas you do burn will be used more efficiently, which leads back to burning less gas again.

Acceleration up, gas consumption down. Then since the car has less mass, it will stop easier, too, using the OE brakes.
The goal is... hard to explain. First and foremost it is to protect the passengers; from any and everything (i would get bullet-proof armour but I don't have the engine to achieve such a goal--plus that would contradict the second goal); fuel-efficiency, not just to save my pockets... but to help promote a greener earth, I'm an environmentalist looking out for the future of this planet... which goes back to the first goal of protecting life only this is protecting the life of my friends and family down the line future-wise. I am a guy that likes options too, hence why I went with a Honda make... not American. I like modular devices as well, and versatility. This is why I desire to take this car to extremes like off-road and over islands... just in case. Basically, this car is a one-stop-shop for any occasion.

As for the parts I highlighted in bold... that's child's play and implied... please don't patronise me like that.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:09 PM
大日本帝国

It's not what I was doing, but I figured I'd cover my bases and guarantee that anyone else reading the thread would understand.

I got the same feeling when you posted the "picky picky" comment, but I held my tongue.

~Cheers~
Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 PM
大日本帝国

One thing I'm wondering, why don't you apply the knowledge from your other interests to the car? I'm sure you can find some way to apply it!

~Cheers~
Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Instructor

It's not what I was doing, but I figured I'd cover my bases and guarantee that anyone else reading the thread would understand.
I forgot this was a public thread and others would peruse through it for bits of advice and info to apply to their cars... in that case... continue on with layman terms.

One thing I'm wondering, why don't you apply the knowledge from your other interests to the car? I'm sure you can find some way to apply it!
In industry everyone is... using corn as a means of biofuels isn't feasible... we're running experiments on termite guts and such, even growing algae... =T

As for applying personally to my car... that is what I am doing.. I'd need to practice my knowledge on cars before piecing the concepts together.

Last edited by 石春林; 10-06-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Instructor

I just remembered I'm a bit hesitant to push the envelope with PSI in either direction.. too much or too little... because of the pressure change that acompanies altitude changes...
Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Not to mention improper tire wear. 36 psi isn't too bad but I wouldn't go much higher, especially if you drive beyond 75 mph.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Not to mention improper tire wear. 36 psi isn't too bad but I wouldn't go much higher, especially if you drive beyond 75 mph.
I try not to accelerate too fast due to wasting gas with too harsh rpms... but when I plateau on top speed... it is well over 75mph.. I avg. 90-110mph on the freeways... plus I bend concrete with my turns.

Last edited by 石春林; 10-08-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: had to change highways to freeways; I don't take chances on highways
Old 10-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 石春林
The goal is... hard to explain. First and foremost it is to protect the passengers; from any and everything (i would get bullet-proof armour but I don't have the engine to achieve such a goal--plus that would contradict the second goal); fuel-efficiency, not just to save my pockets... but to help promote a greener earth, I'm an environmentalist looking out for the future of this planet... which goes back to the first goal of protecting life only this is protecting the life of my friends and family down the line future-wise. I am a guy that likes options too, hence why I went with a Honda make... not American. I like modular devices as well, and versatility. This is why I desire to take this car to extremes like off-road and over islands... just in case. Basically, this car is a one-stop-shop for any occasion.

As for the parts I highlighted in bold... that's child's play and implied... please don't patronise me like that.
Originally Posted by 石春林
I try not to accelerate too fast due to wasting gas with too harsh rpms... but when I plateau on top speed... it is well over 75mph.. I avg. 90-110mph on the freeways... plus I bend concrete with my turns.
Hey this one is easy. If ya want to 1) protect your passengers and others and 2) want to be more fuel efficient, just slow the f@#k down. And while you're at it stop messin' w/ the laws of physics and poetic license by bending that concrete. I swear, if I drive up on any bent concrete, I'm gonna come lookin' for ya. And for the record I am joshin' ya and 'patroniZing' you just a bit. By the way when you do take the TL offroad, can you YouTube it? This is gonna be great!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
5th Gear

I always check my gas mileage every time i fill up and I average between 21-23mpg between city and highway but on a road trip the best i ever achieved was 26mpg cruising at 70mph
Old 12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I've been driving more hwy miles lately since moving and have been consistently hitting over 24.6 mpg in the last 2 tanks. I hope it keeps up but winter is coming up...more warm ups, more traffic, etc...probably going to go back to 21-22.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Heheh, I can't wait until my first refill. I'll be playing this little game, too.

When I had my 96 Infiniti J30, the best I ever got was 30mpg, which was clearly wrong, since the car was rated at 24mpg max highway. I think there were a great deal of additives in the fuel to make it do that. After that, the best I had was 23.8mpg. Oddly enough, it didn't seem to matter on highway driving how I drove, I averaged about 23.2 highway.

I brought my new 3.2TL home about 160 miles from the used dealer. Still sitting above half a tank. I'll post when I do my first refill.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Instructor

22.2mpg 50/50 split hwy/town
better thn what my 95 nissan altima was getting...lol 4banger