Distributor shaft seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distributor shaft seal

I have a 98 TL 2.5 I have repaired all of my leak with the exception of the shaft seal and distributor seal. i wanted to know if anyone could walk me through this repair, with pictures etc. I know that many have done this repair and I want to replace both of the gaskets while I have the distributor off the car to avoid having to come back and fix this again. Can anyone help? You can also email me at icecoldone1906@gmail.com.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I replied to your other post, but what the heck I will reply here too!

If you feel like driving up to Canada happy to do it for you!

Sorry I don't have any pictures.

My internal seal was also leaking somewhat, but I didn't have the seal and it was a very small leak compared to the shaft seal and the rocker cover gasket leak.

Seriously, it is a fairly easy job if you know how to use hand tools. I did mine a couple of weeks ago, it took me about an hour.

Disconnect the battery (10 mm nuts - negative terminal first, positive terminal second). Hope you have your radio code.
Remove the battery (two 10 mm nuts).
Remove spark plug wires from distributor cap (note the order they come off - tag them with tape if need be).
Remove the battery heat shield thing (two 10 mm bolts and then pull, note wire harness, tube thing and how it goes together).
Remove Distributor Cap (two 8 mm screws) and note the position of the Distributor Rotor.
Remove the two Distributor Bolts (two 10 mm if I remember correctly).
Pull off the Distributor.
Remove the seal on the shaft (I used a small pick).
Carefully install the new seal. It just slides on.
Lubricate the new seal with oil.
Reinstall the Distributor ensuring the Distributor Rotor is in the same position as when you took the Distributor Off.
Reinstall the Distributor Cap, Battery Heat Shield, Spark Plug Wires, Battery, Battery Terminals (positive first, negative second).
Start the car. Enter in your radio code!
Pat yourself on the back for saving yourself $100 @the dealer...

I used various wrenches, 1/4" sockets, 3/8" sockets. It is a tight fit.

Take pictures as you go along in case you forget where something goes...

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to say that you so much for your help. Maybe I will take a few pictures and upload them as a DIY for this job. Without this forum I'm not sure I would have the car running. So there is only one seal on this distributor? I was reading that there was a internal seal as well on the inside of the distributor?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is indeed an internal seal. You can tell if it is leaking once you have the cap and rotor off - you will see an oil stain at about the 6 o'clock position.

Mine was leaking slightly, but not enough to warrant replacing the internal seal. I have not tried to replace it, but it is a bit of a pain to get the distributor apart. In my opinion I think I would have caused more harm than good. I will attempt to do it at a later date thought...most just replace the distributor at that point.

I would start with the shaft seal and see if that solves your problem. My seal was very dry and had shrunk hence the oil leak. Also check your rocker cover gasket if you have not done so already.

Welcome!

Chris