Can Someone DIY O2 sensors? 1998 3.2tl

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Can Someone DIY O2 sensors? 1998 3.2tl

I am having issues with my O2 sensors and to replace all three at the shop is going to cost $1000!!!!
I found universal O2 sensors online on ebay for like $60 I figure I can buy 3 and replace them myself and save $$$$$

but,
I dont know where they are... I "heard" they are like spark plugs but require a tool to get them out? and are hard to get to?
If anyone can give me ANY help it would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the tool is just a socket with a cutout for the wire to get through. I suggest you get NGK and not some universal brand of o2 sensor
Old 04-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Burning Brakes

I replaced Primary O2 after the cat myself. No big deal.
Do you know which one needs to be replaced.
Let me know which one i will pm you the steps.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 PM
B A N N E D

you are getting jacked.. Its a common honda 4 wire heated o2 sensor used on any honda after 92. Any of them will work. The only advantage to the pricey ones is they are direct bolt up. The secondary one, which is most likely the sole reason for your engine light aka code 61. Is under the passanger seat. Theres a tiny gray plug that attaches to a bracket . The plug is a 4 wire plug, 2 wires are black, one wire is kelly green, and one wire is black. Un- attach the plug from the clip that holds it under the seat, then disconnect the plug. Jack the car up, pull the catalytic converter bolts out. This allows the cat to hinge down so you can get to the 21mm bolt holding the o2 into the cat. You can get a 21mm o2 sensor socket at the local parts store. Basicly its a socket with a slot in it so the wires can come out the slot and the socket can go around the o2. Undo the bolt, it may be kinda tight, and remove the sensor. It pulls right out of the grommet under the passanger seat, put the new one in the exhaust and tighten it then bolt the cat back up and pull the plug through the floor attaching the grommet. Plug it back it, put the plug back on the clip and install the seat back in. Done deal...

Rarely the front one goes out. but if it does then you just replace it the same way. Its in front of the cat. As far as i know theres not 3 in the 3.2 theres just 2. But i may be incorrect. Its been a while. Ive had the whole motor out of mine a few times and cant remember noticing any besides the 2 in the converter.

One reads the temp before the cat, the other reads it after. If its the same the light goes off. They sell secondary o2 eliminator kits online tho that you can wire in so eliminating the cat wont trigger the engine light.

My car has a ecu that only has 1 o2 written to the map. It doesnt really even use the 02 either, its solely tuned of tps and map readings. But thats just because ive spent a lot of time with fabricating stuff.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:41 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by meazz1
I replaced Primary O2 after the cat myself. No big deal.
Do you know which one needs to be replaced.
Let me know which one i will pm you the steps.

secondary is the after cat., primary is the before cat. Primary is what the ecu uses along with tps and map readings to tune the a/f. Secondary is just for emissions horseshit.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Thanks Colt45
your name makes me think of money talks the movie... when a lady offers chris tucker a drink of don 85' he says "how bout colt 45"

haha
anyways
the code is PO171
it says the fuel is too lean and it says it is the right bank/bank one

where would this one be located? before or after the cat? And Im pretty sure there is 3 in the 3.2 1998 tls.. at least this is what the shop told me that was going to do it.. unless they are trying to rape me outright.

I hope once i replace this right bank/bank one sensor everything will be ok

so... would i be able to go to a honda/acura dealership and get a 4 wire heated o2 sensor?? and they know what im talkin about?

and no need to call people horseshit just for tryin to help out on here lol
Old 04-02-2007, 10:59 PM
B A N N E D

id get one from standard parts.

borg warner makes them direct fit. Way cheaper also.

Honda will want 170 for that shit and its just a denso. Borg warner and standard both use denso sensors i believe.

You can also just buy a denso.

You may be right now you say 3 its just been 4 years since ive had the motor apart and i cant remember. Ive built prolly 20 cars since then.

41 or a 43 is a rich lean code. And yea that can come from that problem and fucked plugs. The plugs get fucked from the car running too fat. Id replace them while your at it and it will run like a champ.

its prolly on the exhaust manifold of which ever side your trouble code indicates. slide the wrench in there hopefully its not too hard for you.

i wasnt calling him horseshit. sorry.

I was calling the emissions stuff horseshit. Secondary emissions horseshit. Like useless george w garbage.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Thanks
do you still have your TL? I saw a nice picture of yours on another thread... all blacked out very clean

Thats tight you have been building cars.. for me i dont know too much about them... is there any way you or anyone on here can direct me to the o2 on the exhaust manifold? such as a picture because im a dumbass

So you are saying there is 2 in the engine bay left and right? and one after the cat?

and no need to apologize to me about clownin someone else i just thought it was funny
Old 04-02-2007, 11:25 PM
B A N N E D

I wasnt downin him my bad to him if it sounded like it. I just remember way back in the day when i was learning and my outcome was based on peoples posts.

I read through common problems on forums and youve got people telling others the issue is something entirely wrong. Then this dude goes out and buys that part, spends a week doing it and its still fucked up..

My purpose is to bring the most accurate info to a thread if i respond. Not what i heard through the grape vine would cause the issue the owner is having.

Yea i still have my car. Some gangbangers hit the rear bumper, and it flew off on the highway and a caravan dragged it for 300 yards so it looks like jaws ate that shit. Theres a bullet hole through the front bumper where i... well im not getting into it. but some spots of downtown cincy can be sketchy if you dont really care and arent careful. haha...

the body is a little beat up but ive painted the car 4 times before. I Just got the cluster, the wing, the inspired motorsports kit, the grill, another set of coilovers, koni struts, the steering wheel. the nsx brakes, it has a full 3 inch stainless mandrel exhaust with a borla muffler and a turn down that looks totaly stock but is far from it. And the motor has nsx pistons 20 over with all pink rod bearing and main bearings.

Heads are decked very minimal, it had type 2 legend heads but with the valves 3mm oversized vs the tl ones the pistons would have hit the valves since they are higher compression. It also has a lot of other misc boltons., intake mani is ported, butterflies removed, and the ecu has been worked on by a close friend.

I used to have a msd dis 6 plus ignition, nos pro fogger wet 150 shot kit,
Old 04-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Uhhh so i still dont know where the right bank/bank one o2 sensor is and how i can replace that.....
Old 05-19-2015, 03:45 PM
6th Gear

Its just a socket with a cut out that's all it is I'd get a wrench not a ratchet wrench makes life easier some times you do have to heat them up to get them out I'd Chang the wires out to to be safe and make sure the car is cold too I've burnt my hand a fue times changing them it might not look hot but dear god you put your hand on it and you will never want to do it again lol