Aftermarket Exhaust/Muffler on a 98 RL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Exhaust/Muffler on a 98 RL?

I was scowering YouTube and stumbled upon this video of a guy with a Vibrant Streetpower dual-tip exhaust on his 3.5 RL (generation unknown):

I'm wondering if anyone else here has done something similiar to their 1st-gen RL's? If so, what muffler (part # is appreciated) did you use? What sizes are appropriate for this car?

I'd like to get some idea of how much this might cost, if it's something I could DIY or if I should get a shop to do it, etc. Are there any smog issues to worry about when doing this? Performance concerns?

Thanks to anyone who can respond - and might as well drop a photo of my baby (just hit the 48k mile mark ):

Aftermarket Exhaust/Muffler on a 98 RL?-woywrqi.jpg
Old 11-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
I have a used Magnaflow with VIP style tips up for sell if you are interested. Sound is a beast, but it is kind of loud for my passenger. I have to get a new one that is a little quieter. Here is the link, so check it out. You also need a good 12" resonator to replace the old one, I highly suggest the new Vibrant resonator.
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/magnaflow-vip-style-tip-899688/
BTW, where are you in Cali. Just come and pick my Magnaflow lol

Last edited by 3.5RLv-tec?; 11-13-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im running dual exhaust setup with a summit racing chambered muffler and 2 oval tips from summit racing im actually possibly switching to a setup on passeger side only with dual tips. mine is pretty mellow and sound amazing.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 3.5RLv-tec?
I have a used Magnaflow with VIP style tips up for sell if you are interested. Sound is a beast, but it is kind of loud for my passenger. I have to get a new one that is a little quieter. Here is the link, so check it out. You also need a good 12" resonator to replace the old one, I highly suggest the new Vibrant resonator.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899688
BTW, where are you in Cali. Just come and pick my Magnaflow lol
Thanks for the offer but I'll pass on it for the same reason you don't want it anymore - I'm not looking to be the loudest car on the block, just looking for something sporty and tasteful/mellow-sounding. I'll check out the resonator you suggested, thanks for the tip.

@vipRL171 I also want to keep my exhaust passenger side-only, what are you planning on putting in?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Im going to get Dynomax super turbo muffler with 4.5" dual tips lol
I think VipRL setup is still kind of loud.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Cruisin'

There's a muffler shop down the street from me who says he'll give me a free quote on a muffler swap and advise me on what muffler to put in based on my preference. I'll let you guys know what he says so that others can get an idea of how much a shop charges to do this and get another example of a muffler that will fit the car nicely.

I'm really annoyed that the stock '98 muffler is not chrome finished and hidden 4" behind the lip of the bumper - I mainly want to get a classy looking set of tips sticking out and also improve the sound of the car. Nothing too fancy, not really concerned with doing any performance increase.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Im going to get Dynomax super turbo muffler with 4.5" dual tips lol
I think VipRL setup is still kind of loud.
mine isnt that loud lol. the video i have makes it sound louder sitting still. driving my exhaust isnt really loud at all even at high way speeds i can hear my tires more then i hear my exhaust lol. trust me best sounding exhaust setup i have ever put on a car lol

Originally Posted by treminaor
Thanks for the offer but I'll pass on it for the same reason you don't want it anymore - I'm not looking to be the loudest car on the block, just looking for something sporty and tasteful/mellow-sounding. I'll check out the resonator you suggested, thanks for the tip.

@vipRL171 I also want to keep my exhaust passenger side-only, what are you planning on putting in?
well im going to keep my exhaust the way it is stuff wise same muffler and tips. im just going to bring both 3 inch tips out of the passenger side rather then duals. cause i have a feeling once i lower my car its going to scrape alot lol
Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Cruisin'

I just got back from talking to the guy at the local muffler shop (38 years of experience, I trust his opinion for the most part).

He suggested I go with a Flowmaster single-tip (3-3.5" diameter) because of the fact that the car is set up to have a muffler where the tip(s) come out from the lower-area of the muffler rather than the center. I could have a single to dual tip splitter put on but we both think that would look too trashy. I could also have a dual-pipe exhaust but he said unless there is a manufacturer he doesn't know about that makes mufflers to fit this car, he would have to hang the muffler so low that you would be able to see it from the back and sides of the car.

He doesn't think the single pipe will look trashy at all (and I tend to agree with him after visualizing it for a bit) so that's probably what I will end up going with.

Since the car has a double catalytic converter that runs from one end of the car to the other and has no resonator, he's not sure if the flowmaster will even be as loud as I want it (which isn't very loud), but he will work with me until we get the right sound.

Adding the cost of the muffler, tip, and labor he quoted $300 which I think is very reasonable.

Interested to hear your guys' opinion on this.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Instructor

not a bad idea. i mean honestly i ran duals and my pips are all visable but are that bad here is a pic of what my duals look like. im running this muffler and tips and here is a video of what my car sounds like all work is custom welded nothing is made to fit the car untill i had it done lol.

and for the price he is charging you sounds a little expensive to me lol. i had all my piping and tips and muffler all welded with pipes being bent and everything for $180. $300 sounds like a alot to me. buy the muffler else where on your own its cheaper then exhaust shop will charge you. the same muffler i was going to get charge $150 for it and i got it for $40 summit has amazing exhaust my dad use them on his cuda he has and sounds amazing i would recommend summit mufflers to anyone. cheap and great sounding.

here is pic of how mine sits. i love it kinda sticks out a little for a vip style look lol

here if video of how mine sounds. love the way it sounds only dual tip single inlet muffler with custom piping all the resonator and cats are still there. and summit makes excellent mufflers for cheap price i love um.

here is the muffler i used sounds great and price was cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Muffler-Chambered-3-Inlet-2-5-Outlets-Center-Inlet-Dual-Outlets-Steel-/190967645870?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c768f06ae&vxp=mtr

Last edited by vipRL171; 11-14-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I think $300 is expensive. You should buy the part yourselve and take it to the shop. Depending on which Flowmaster you going to get ranging from $100-$120 and the tips are $50; plus $60 to install and a little pipe. Anyway, I think I'm want to go with the 5zigen style muffler, like this. The pic is not mine, I found it on the internet, credit goes to its rightful owner.
[IMG]
Here is my current set: stock with 3.5" dual tips and aftermarket resonator. It sound really good if I step on the gas
[/IMG]
Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Cruisin'

I would order the parts myself but I'm worried about what I'd do with them if I didn't like the sound or the fit etc. This guy's price includes him taking back the flowmaster for a full refund and reinstalling my OEM if I don't like the result.

From what you guys are saying it should be closer to $200-250 if I order the parts myself?

I also have no idea what to order...
Old 11-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Instructor

I think $300 is expensive. You should buy the part yourselve and take it to the shop. Depending on which Flowmaster you going to get ranging from $100-$120 and the tips are $50; plus $60 to install and a little pipe. Anyway, I think I'm want to go with the 5zigen style muffler, like this. The pic is not mine, I found it on the internet, credit goes to its rightful owner.
[IMG]
Here is my current set: stock with 3.5" dual tips and aftermarket resonator. It sound really good if I step on the gas
[/IMG]
yea those exhaust are so nice lol. i have actually been looking at those myself thinking hmm might look good once im slammed lol. great minds think alike lol
Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, lol. The 5zigen is so expensive. I'm actually planning to custom fit myself with a Dynomax ultra flow polish and a 4.5" tip. I'm just afraid that the muffler is going to be loud.
I also looking at the Dynomax super turbo lol
Old 11-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Instructor

dyno max mufflers arent to bad. i had one my 2000 civic si when i had it sounded really good. not sure how they will sound on rl with more motor behind it lol
Old 12-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Cruisin'

Alright, finally got around to getting a muffler installed.

Went with a Flowmaster Dynomax 50 at the suggestion of the mechanic. He put a 3.5" chrome tip on it, which looks great. He hid the muffler quite well, you can't see anything but the pipe from a side-view.

The result is absolutely beautiful - I love the sound, very deep and throaty but still smooth and sporty. Didn't have to change any of the existing steel piping, just replaced the muffler.

I'll put a video up at some point when I find my camera and a spot where I can rev the car without pissing off neighbors.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:53 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Jeebus 48k!? That's crazy!! I'm at 146K right now.

Here's my old setup. Freaking loud as hell and drone'd like crazy. But it sounded awesome.

Here's my new setup. Custom mandrel bent axleback now.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice, but do you have the model number for the Flowmaster? They have two version of the 50 series. It is the delta flow or it is just the regular 50 series. I'm planning to get the muffler soon but I think I'll go with the flowmaster 50 series too because I'm afraid the Dynomax super turbo would be quite lol
Old 12-31-2013, 01:05 AM
Cruisin'

Here it is guys, as promised:

The tone is much deeper in-person. I recorded it with an iPhone 5s, which does not pick up low tones very well. The cabin noise is the perfect level - doesn't drown out the music but you can still hear the muffler. It sounds even better under load - acceleration sounds like a sports car - couldn't be happier. This V6 engine purrs...

Nice, but do you have the model number for the Flowmaster? They have two version of the 50 series. It is the delta flow or it is just the regular 50 series. I'm planning to get the muffler soon but I think I'll go with the flowmaster 50 series too because I'm afraid the Dynomax super turbo would be quite lol
50 Series Delta Flow. I highly recommend it - anything louder would piss off the neighborhood and probably be a bit embarrassing to be driving with - anything quieter would not be pleasing enough in my opinion.

The tip is a 3.5" diameter chrome tip - I don't remember what length he said he made it.

Last edited by treminaor; 12-31-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
What you want is a variable muffler. The RL (I believe in 02+) got one of these to increase top end.
Quiet while driving around but nice and throaty when you step on it.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Sound good, but I think it is loud!? Is there any drone inside the cabin? Can you please do a vid inside while driving normally, drive by and WOT! Thx.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Cruisin'

Sound good, but I think it is loud!? Is there any drone inside the cabin? Can you please do a vid inside while driving normally, drive by and WOT! Thx.
It's hard to capture the actual volume levels when recording on a phone. I'll try to get my laptop + cardioid microphone into the car soon and see if I get better results with that.

As far as drone, there is no audible drone in the cabin. While driving if you let the car relax into a high gear you won't hear the exhaust anymore until you put load on the engine again. With the windows up it's definitely audible when accelerating, but if I have music on I am still able to focus on the music. I don't find it distracting.

Last edited by treminaor; 01-08-2014 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Good to know because my Flowmaster 50 delta flow is sitting in my room right now! I can't wait to get it install.