96 RL Seat Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 RL Seat Help

I'm trying to figure out if a seat I pulled from a 96 RL has the heated option or not. I pulled this for a project several months ago and the donor vehicle is long gone. My bad for not knowing the trim level, because that would tell me right there.

I can't post pics yet. Looking at the bottom of the driver's seat while it's laying on its back it has 9 wires in a connector on the right and 3 wires in a connector on the left. I have the diagram for the right side connector and have that figured out for powering the seat movements. Not sure about the left. ...guessing it's for seat belt indicator and no heat with these, but there is an extra wire in there.

I can pull the hog rings and just look for the heating elements - but I would obviously like to avoid that.

Anyone know, based on my description of the wires present, if this seat has heat or not?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

So, I assume you have a premium RL and had to replace the seat, but you don't know if the replacement has the heating element or not.

When I had to replace the entire interior of my car (accident described somewhere here on the forum), I took the leather out of my wrecked car and put it into the new one. I also did the seat cushions too, but because the wrecked RL was not a premium model, but the new one was, I had to swap the heating elements out, too. And yes those little copper rings are suckers to mess with.

If I were you, to find out if it heats up or not, plugging it in and trying the switch might be a good way to go. Just make sure that the wires from the new and old one are exactly the same, you don't want to burn anything up.