V6 reported in April 05 Popular Mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason the critics....

Originally Posted by AcuraFan
What other car in its market has a NA 4-banger? Critics were condemning the TSX to a painful death because of it's I4...then they drove it.
I think we'll see the same thing with the RDX (if it gets an I4).
.....gave the TSX's lack of power/torque/refinement a pass, when compared to it's rivals, was because they were so amazed by it's neutral balance, handling precision, precise steering feel etc., that they were willing to overlook this one shortcoming!! (if you read C & D's review you will see that they actually mention this)
Old 04-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Wink Hey, you just might be right about that....

Eh, I think the RDX will do fine with its target market...you just might not fall into that target market.
.....everything will depend on whether it gets a V6!!....if not, just as with the TSX, I'm out!!

.....and I'll mention one other thing. You pointed out above some vehicles in the TSX market segment with 4-bangers.....Fine, agreed .....but try and point me some in the RDX's segment!!.....Do we see any??.....I think not (unless you're looking at vehicles such as the RAV4 as the RDX's competition) .....me thinks the competition is more like the BMW X3 (both models of which come with a V6) and so on!!
Old 05-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vicpai
.....everything will depend on whether it gets a V6!!....if not, just as with the TSX, I'm out!!

.....and I'll mention one other thing. You pointed out above some vehicles in the TSX market segment with 4-bangers.....Fine, agreed .....but try and point me some in the RDX's segment!!.....Do we see any??.....I think not (unless you're looking at vehicles such as the RAV4 as the RDX's competition) .....me thinks the competition is more like the BMW X3 (both models of which come with a V6) and so on!!
That's fine, Acura isn't going to please everyone. If you don't want it because you think you need a V6, then go somewhere else, the RDX and TSX are not for you. Get on with your life and quit whining about it.

I actually wasn't the one to bring up other 4-cylinder cars. I was the one to bring up the fact that the TSX stands alone in that it's the only one in its class with an NA 4-cylinder. Just as the RDX (if it gets one) will be the only 4-cylinder in its class. Either way, it's still going to be a good vehicle. Yes, the X3 has V6s...and the 2.5l V6 doesn't put out that much more power than the 2.4l I4 that will probably go into the RDX. And just like the TSX is cross shopped with the 325, the RDX will be cross shopped with the X3.

Again, if you think you need a V6, then buy an X3 and quitcherbitchen...the RDX is obviously not for you.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Instructor

Exclamation First off, please refrain from putting words in my mouth.....

That's fine, Acura isn't going to please everyone. If you don't want it because you think you need a V6, then go somewhere else, the RDX and TSX are not for you. Get on with your life and quit whining about it.

I actually wasn't the one to bring up other 4-cylinder cars. I was the one to bring up the fact that the TSX stands alone in that it's the only one in its class with an NA 4-cylinder. Just as the RDX (if it gets one) will be the only 4-cylinder in its class. Either way, it's still going to be a good vehicle. Yes, the X3 has V6s...and the 2.5l V6 doesn't put out that much more power than the 2.4l I4 that will probably go into the RDX. And just like the TSX is cross shopped with the 325, the RDX will be cross shopped with the X3.

Again, if you think you need a V6, then buy an X3 and quitcherbitchen...the RDX is obviously not for you.
......Read my post clearly I never said I wanted to buy an X3, just that it's part of the RDX's comptetion, which, whether you like it or not is a FACT. Secondly, there are far more of us who own a 6 cylinder Acura, than there are that own a 4 cylinder one (What, Acura has ONE WHOLE MODEL with a 4 banger )

And the only reason I'm still in this discussion is because Honda has not called any of you personally and told you it will have a 4-banger .....the only source reporting this is Motor Trend and they've been known to be unreliable in the past ......Like you said they can't please everyone. So if it gets a V6 I win, and if it gets a 4-banger you win.....and let's leave it at that......and, FYI, even if it does get a 4-banger, I don't need to look elsewhere.... all I have to do is look across the showroom floor for the redesigned MDX, which would be a natural upgrade!
Old 05-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

<actually, neither model of the X3 has a V6>
Old 05-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vicpai
......Read my post clearly I never said I wanted to buy an X3, just that it's part of the RDX's comptetion, which, whether you like it or not is a FACT. Secondly, there are far more of us who own a 6 cylinder Acura, than there are that own a 4 cylinder one (What, Acura has ONE WHOLE MODEL with a 4 banger )

And the only reason I'm still in this discussion is because Honda has not called any of you personally and told you it will have a 4-banger .....the only source reporting this is Motor Trend and they've been known to be unreliable in the past ......Like you said they can't please everyone. So if it gets a V6 I win, and if it gets a 4-banger you win.....and let's leave it at that......and, FYI, even if it does get a 4-banger, I don't need to look elsewhere.... all I have to do is look across the showroom floor for the redesigned MDX, which would be a natural upgrade!
I'm not putting words in your mouth. I know you didn't say you wanted a X3. BUT, you keep complaining that if Acura doesn't get you that V6 for the RDX you're threatening not to buy one. That's great. Like I said, if it gets an I4, then it's not for you and move on. I get tired of people who get hung up on a car that's not designed for them and then bitch about it because it's not exactly what they want. I suggested you buy an X3 so you can be happy with your 6...because it sounds like that's what's most important to you...6 cylinders. For those who don't think the cylinder count is that important, we'll keep our eyes on the RDX.

And thanks jcg878 for the clarification...we shouldn't generalize all 6-cylinders as V6s.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:01 PM
The Acura Tranny Killer

[What, Acura has ONE WHOLE MODEL with a 4 banger]

Two... RSX and TSX.

Tracer
Old 05-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Pro

The TSX is a great driving car. I enjoyed it but liked the idea of once again having a V6. The TSX pulled nicely but the TL pulls better. The TL handles good, but the TSX handles better.

The TSX is better balanced due to the i4 motor compaired to the nose heavy TL. With that said, the RDX may be in the same boat. The next MDX will feel less sporty due to weight and the RDX will feel down right sporty due to a better balance.

Now, where some will have issues is stomping on the gas and waiting for a NA 4 banger to get up some steam to pull weight compaired to the MDX owner to will do the same thing and get that steam right off the bat.

I see the X3 is a direct and main competitor until the C-Class based SUV hits the streets as well as a smaller Volvo SUV (small M-B SUV is set in stone). Horse power alone doesn't tell the whole story unless you want to drag race. The TL has less hp then the 6spd G35 and yet the TL is holding it's own in the market place. The RL has the most powerful V6 in its class yet is comparied to V8's and still is holding it's own due to all the goodies it has for the price. All this dispite the M35/45 may be for fun to drive.

The best way to judge will be to drive the RDX, X3, and ?-Class. From what I've read and seen on Motor Week Television and Car and Driver Television, the X3 isn't that great of a drive. This may be what Acura is targeting.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Instructor

^^^ well said Precision...

One has got to understand that Honda/Acura's model is to come up with a smaller engine providing pretty much the same power ( or a bit less) as the market it is competing with. For the lack of power or smaller engine, they compensate with all the options that are standard and provide it at an excellent price, essentially providing great value for your Buck. I would think, to the masses, that definitely plays a bigger role, than any one option in particular, be it engine or interior or whatever.

Someone mentioned before that Honda is known as the "engine company" and hence they should come out with the biggest, most powerful engines. The way I see it, and I suspect Honda sees it as well, is that, being an "engine company" makes them come up with engines that are smaller with same power as other cars, but with better fuel economy.

To the argument that V6 is needed in any particular segment... thats just baloney. As had been said a million times, TSX is proof that isnt the case. If u are just looking for segment defining options like V6 engines etc. Acura is prob not the brand for you. And who ever bought an Acura, as a status symbol?? I bought my TSX bec it offered value like none else...
Old 05-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Instructor

They already have teams together for building a turbo 4 cylinder for the RDX, starting this fall. I don't know anything about a V6, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be one as well.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Advanced

the V6 has been pretty much confirmed.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:50 AM
Instructor

So maybe they will offer both then. I'm in Ohio where they are building the turbo 4, but haven't heard about the 6.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by finishline
So maybe they will offer both then. I'm in Ohio where they are building the turbo 4, but haven't heard about the 6.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38

Reports are that they're scraping the turbo idea for the time being. It may show up later, who knows...but for right now, it's V6.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Pro

They already have teams together for building a turbo 4 cylinder for the RDX, starting this fall. I don't know anything about a V6, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be one as well.
Hopefully it will have direct injection and hopefully it will be offered in the TSX. I don't see Acura/Honda spending hundreds of millions of dollars on this motor just for use in the RDX.

This may also be the motor for the up coming CSX (although I prefer a V6 if based off of the current TL).

But I've read somewhere the TSX may not have a MMC due to the new JDM Accord coming.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38

Reports are that they're scraping the turbo idea for the time being. It may show up later, who knows...but for right now, it's V6.
The only reason I posted is because yesterday I spoke directly to a person who is working at the engine plant on the team who said they are building a turbo 4 for the RDX and the first engines will be built in early fall. Just thought this person might know. Personally I'd like to see the V6 so I hope you're right. We'll know soon enough.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

The only reason I posted is because yesterday I spoke directly to a person who is working at the engine plant on the team who said they are building a turbo 4 for the RDX and the first engines will be built in early fall. Just thought this person might know. Personally I'd like to see the V6 so I hope you're right. We'll know soon enough.
I don't have any inside info at all...you'd no better than me, I guess.

I guess I don't know what I'd prefer...an i4 would be lighter...the RDX would handle better. Plus mileage would be a little better. Not to mention, they might just stick this turboed i4 into the TSX...which would be cool.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:39 PM
I'm a llama :(

That's awesome! Most likely they will put this engine in the newly designed TSX and by then it'll have all the kinks, if any, worked out.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Motohip...I think you have it nailed!!!

Originally Posted by Motohip
That's awesome! Most likely they will put this engine in the newly designed TSX and by then it'll have all the kinks, if any, worked out.
.....I was a bit worried there for a bit, but then again, as you said, they are probably building this turbo 4 for the TSX