Suspension is great IMHO

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension is great IMHO

Coming from a 911 with bilstein shocks/euro spec springs, I think the RDX has a great ride given the handling characteristics. Actually, I wouldn't mind if it was just a tad stiffer.

Anyhow, this is my first honda/acura product and I love it. GREAT daily driver! I can run about town not worrying about scraping the front end or curbing a rim. After 10 years of driving lowered sports cars with manual trans, this is a nice change. Too bad the forums aren't as active as bmw / audi / porsche. C'mon people post more topics!!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Pro

I've always wondered why the forums are so dead. There seem to be a fair amount of people viewing this forum, but few ever post. It's a stark contrast to most X3 forums.

Anyway, glad to hear you're happy w/ the RDX. I too think it's a great vehicle (though I don't own one). It's definitely underrated IMO. For the money, there isn't a quicker, better handling small luxury CUV.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Instructor

I got my RDX because of the handling. Came over from a Lexus which imo had horrible steering feel compared to Acura. I think it is the use of the electric steering in the Lexus that bugged me. As for the RDX I like the handling but based on what people with '07s say I would probably like the '07 setup better as I like a stiffer ride.

But the '08 I have is still awesome. Glad you like yours!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KraZy007
Coming from a 911 with bilstein shocks/euro spec springs, I think the RDX has a great ride given the handling characteristics. Actually, I wouldn't mind if it was just a tad stiffer.

Anyhow, this is my first honda/acura product and I love it. GREAT daily driver! I can run about town not worrying about scraping the front end or curbing a rim. After 10 years of driving lowered sports cars with manual trans, this is a nice change. Too bad the forums aren't as active as bmw / audi / porsche. C'mon people post more topics!!
Don't have time to post more! I'm to busy enjoying my RDX ride!!! later...............
Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Cruisin'

Dang I really like this car. I only have about 350 miles on it so far, but I've enjoyed every mile. In fact, my 911 has sat in the garage for the past week. I'll be taking the RDX to Tahoe this weekend...I'm really looking forward to the drive.

Anyone know if Tein Flex coilovers with EDFC are available for this car? That would be sweet.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Cruisin'

Dang I really like this car. I only have about 350 miles on it so far, but I've enjoyed every mile. In fact, my 911 has sat in the garage for the past week. I'll be taking the RDX to Tahoe this weekend...I'm really looking forward to the drive.

Anyone know if Tein Flex coilovers with EDFC are available for this car? That would be sweet.

And I too chose the RDX because of the handling. No other small luxury CUV offers what the RDX does at this price point.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I too chose the RDX because of the handling. No other small luxury CUV offers what the RDX does at this price point.
Hey there,

You should check out this thread started by COSE:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529

He put on Eibach springs and looks pretty sharp.
Byw, I'm working on getting a 911 in my garage, hopefully a 3.2 Carrera. I've wanted one since I was 11 years old.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by scottRDX
Hey there,

You should check out this thread started by COSE:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529

He put on Eibach springs and looks pretty sharp.
Byw, I'm working on getting a 911 in my garage, hopefully a 3.2 Carrera. I've wanted one since I was 11 years old.
Sweet, thanks! And good luck on the 911. Take a look at Rennlist.com. Great resource for porsches and a good bunch of people.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
krazy, since i have installed the eibachs, i never looked into any other type of suspension as far as adjustable springs. i personally would love to smack mine to the ground, i think it would look awesome. the ride after lowering is very "sporty" i think coming from a porsche, i think you would appreciate it. i freakin love the rdx for its handling. its not hard to put the rdx in a nice controlled 4-wheel slide on some of the ramps in the area. next is the reflash from hondata.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:01 AM
Cruisin'

Imagining this car doing a 4-wheel slide...seriously insane. That I have to see. I'd love to be able to drop the car and get great street handling at one moment but then be able to raise it and soften the ride for city driving and trips to the mountains. If I can't get that, I'd rather just leave the suspension stock. I have to keep reminding myself that this car is supposed to be the comfortable, relaxed daily driver and the 911 is for the hardcore driving. It's just so hard to keep things stock...must resist. Modding is a disease I tell you.

Your car looks great by the way. 20" wheels look perfect. Nice job.

Hey I'm curious, do you know if the optional rear diffuser does anything to clean up the air-flow at the rear, or is it purely cosmetic?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Instructor

I'm planning on upgrading the springs on my RDX this spring...har. Too cold to work on the car now, but teh ride is a little soft for my liking. I hear the 08's suspension is softer than 07, anyway, so hopefully I'll notice a real improvement.

I've got the CPE intake coming soon, next is exhaust. Can't wait. Now I just have to figure out how to get the TSX 6-speed manual installed to replace the slushbox
Old 03-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Imagining this car doing a 4-wheel slide...seriously insane. That I have to see. I'd love to be able to drop the car and get great street handling at one moment but then be able to raise it and soften the ride for city driving and trips to the mountains. If I can't get that, I'd rather just leave the suspension stock. I have to keep reminding myself that this car is supposed to be the comfortable, relaxed daily driver and the 911 is for the hardcore driving. It's just so hard to keep things stock...must resist. Modding is a disease I tell you.

Your car looks great by the way. 20" wheels look perfect. Nice job.

Hey I'm curious, do you know if the optional rear diffuser does anything to clean up the air-flow at the rear, or is it purely cosmetic?
on the stock tires have you at least gotten to some heavy tire squeal? take that heavy tire squeal and just a little more and youve got a 4-wheel squeal to a slide and some awesome handling that my mom could do if she could stomach it..LOL.

as far as the rear diffuser, i dont know about the aerodynamics of it. that is one of the things i didnt get for the RDX.

throwing some springs on it is a low level mod with a high level output - you cant stop cold turkey man! -- its obvious i couldnt. i bought the RDX to NOT MOD.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Racer

The suspension on my 07 is way too stiff. I wish I could swap it for an 08, if it is indeed softer.

I'm going to have to try increasing the tire sidewall slightly, or running a lower psi. Passengers in my car continually complain, which I would happily ignore, if not for the fact that it bothers me too.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishbulb
The suspension on my 07 is way too stiff. I wish I could swap it for an 08, if it is indeed softer.

I'm going to have to try increasing the tire sidewall slightly, or running a lower psi. Passengers in my car continually complain, which I would happily ignore, if not for the fact that it bothers me too.
I think the ride gets WORSE as you go below 32 lbs.

X3 forums should be more active. There have been five model years (2004-2008) vs. two for the RDX (2007-2008).
Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Fishbulb, if you live near Boston, I'd be happy to do a suspension swap with you. Your 07 for my 08. If you supply the beer and pizza I'll do all the work
Old 03-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JGard
Fishbulb, if you live near Boston, I'd be happy to do a suspension swap with you. Your 07 for my 08. If you supply the beer and pizza I'll do all the work
Is the 08 suspension really softer than the 07? Are they compatible?
I just have a baby boy and I'd love to soften the suspension a bit . The ride is a bit too rough for my little boy... let me know if you are serious about swapping.
1 case of beer and 2 large pizza with 3 toppings ? ^_^
BTW, I'm at Tewksbury.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Cruisin'

I took the car to tahoe this weekend...man am I impressed. It took those mountain curves like a sport sedan. I couldn't believe I was driving an SUV. As long as you follow the slow in fast out approach, the SH-AWD works beautifully to rotate the rear. Although, when I say slow in, it's all relative. Only down side is the gears in my mind are now really turning. Now I want to mod this car and see how much more fun I can squeeze out of it...but I should be doing a clutch/lightweight flywheel on my 911 instead. Damn it.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AC11
Is the 08 suspension really softer than the 07? Are they compatible?
I just have a baby boy and I'd love to soften the suspension a bit . The ride is a bit too rough for my little boy... let me know if you are serious about swapping.
1 case of beer and 2 large pizza with 3 toppings ? ^_^
BTW, I'm at Tewksbury.
I haven't driven the 07, so I can't speak from experience. If you want to meet up and we can "test drive" each other's cars to see if it's something we'd want to do, I'm game. I've got all the tools (yay air compressor) in my garage that the swap would be pretty easy.