RDX vs TSX Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX vs TSX Wagon

I was thinking Acura should import the wagon version of the Euro-Accord (TSX), with AWD, as an alternative to Subarus and Audi Avants.
Having seen the RD-X--and assuming the production RDX looks similar--I think the RDX would sell better. AND I find it much more attractive than the bulky-looking "Estate" (wagon) version of the Euro-Accord.
In my opinion the RD-X is much more attractive, and less wierd-looking, than the Infiniti FX and Nissan Murano. I do have concerns about its cargo-carrying capacity. But with those looks, and assuming handling similar to the TSX (which it must have or be a loser), I think the RDX will do very well. I'm already drooling, and I've only had my TSX for 3 days!

Comments, please?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:30 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by Dr. T
I was thinking Acura should import the wagon version of the Euro-Accord (TSX), with AWD, as an alternative to Subarus and Audi Avants.

Having seen the RD-X--and assuming the production RDX looks similar--I think the RDX would sell better. AND I find it much more attractive than the bulky-looking "Estate" (wagon) version of the Euro-Accord.
In my opinion the RD-X is much more attractive, and less wierd-looking, than the Infiniti FX and Nissan Murano. I do have concerns about its cargo-carrying capacity. But with those looks, and assuming handling similar to the TSX (which it must have or be a loser), I think the RDX will do very well. I'm already drooling, and I've only had my TSX for 3 days!

Comments, please?
I'm with you completely. I personally don't like the Euro Accord estate...the rear end does not go too well with the front end. To be honest, I was kind of disappointed when I first saw the estate model. It had so much potential. The wagon needs a slinkier profile, with a tapered roofline towards the end...and get rid of the horizontal bar tail-lights. I think they should be vertical, from top to bottom, more like a Volvo wagon.

But that's just IMHO.

As for the RDX. WOW. I know it's going to look even better in person. And like the concept TL and the production version, I think the production version of the RDX will look even better than the concept. Acura is DEFINITELY on a roll.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Racer

Hmm, I've seen the Euro Accord wagon in person and personally, I like it (including the back) quite a lot. It looks a lot better than the last USDM Accord wagon we had, which I think just looks
Old 01-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. T
...In my opinion the RD-X is much more attractive, and less wierd-looking, than the Infiniti FX and Nissan Murano. I do have concerns about its cargo-carrying capacity. But with those looks, and assuming handling similar to the TSX (which it must have or be a loser), I think the RDX will do very well...
For sure I have to take a look in person, but now those pics look HOT and very attractive so far. I don't think it would have better control than TSX due to its potential SUV height and body, however, let's wish SH-AWD would improve this car well.

Also, agree... this style is much better than FX or Murano... although it's just the protype, the exterior line of real RDX may not change too much.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by observer
Hmm, I've seen the Euro Accord wagon in person and personally, I like it (including the back) quite a lot. It looks a lot better than the last USDM Accord wagon we had, which I think just looks
My folks still have their US Accord EX wagon(90000+miles) and its still an attractive car with decent room inside. It's major downfalll was it only had the 2.2L I4 with 145HP and lacks the standard features of today's Accords.

As for the current Euro Accord Tourer it has two main problems when compared to the RDX. First is interior room, the RDX looks to have just as much room in the backseat as the CRV which has 39+inches of rear legroom plus a 33cuft trunk - far more than the Accord tourer. Second will be the drivetrain choice. If the RDX gets the 3.0 V6 and SH-AWD it will easily be a better suited combo for hauling around a family and their stuff than the TSX and FWD. Keep in mind if handling performance were the only factor that the TSX/Euro Tourer would have an edge but if you're considering these vehicles then I'm assuming it's because you plan on loading them up. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Well, I personally would much prefer a TSX Wagon. I don't need the height, of the SUV and don't really need that much space, but would like to have more space than I currently have in the TSX. However, I'm not willing to give up too much handling for the space so it's going to come down to how well the RDX drives. Given the SUV ride-height, I'm not expecting it to outperform the TSX, but if it can at least match the TSX, then I might be game.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Pro

well, according to Justin, there's little hope that we'll see the TSX wagon here in NA...which is too bad IMHO. I guess they don't think there's enough of a market for it here..
Old 01-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
I'm with you completely. I personally don't like the Euro Accord estate...the rear end does not go too well with the front end. To be honest, I was kind of disappointed when I first saw the estate model. It had so much potential. The wagon needs a slinkier profile, with a tapered roofline towards the end...and get rid of the horizontal bar tail-lights. I think they should be vertical, from top to bottom, more like a Volvo wagon.

But that's just IMHO.

As for the RDX. WOW. I know it's going to look even better in person. And like the concept TL and the production version, I think the production version of the RDX will look even better than the concept. Acura is DEFINITELY on a roll.

I'd still rather drive a TSX wagon, but it does need a sloping roofline to improve its looks. The RD-X is a definite looker
Old 01-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by crisco
well, according to Justin, there's little hope that we'll see the TSX wagon here in NA...which is too bad IMHO. I guess they don't think there's enough of a market for it here..
Wimps. The market may be small, but I'll bet its growing (inversely proportional to gasoline prices?). It wouldn't be expensive for them to bring here since the car is essentially already designed and in production. BMW, Audi, Saab, MB - all these luxury car companies have wagons - why can't Acura?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
TSX wagon will never make it here IMO... Most people in the US are SUV crazed and would rather have something labelled as an SUV or minivan than a wagon... (the idea of bigger is better and safer) Now if the sales of the IS sportcross or even the A4 wagon outsell an SUV, I think you'd see more luxo/entry luxo wagons on the road.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
TSX wagon will never make it here IMO... Most people in the US are SUV crazed and would rather have something labelled as an SUV or minivan than a wagon... (the idea of bigger is better and safer) Now if the sales of the IS sportcross or even the A4 wagon outsell an SUV, I think you'd see more luxo/entry luxo wagons on the road.

exactly
Old 02-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Mr. Karma

I think that is rapidly changing. People are starting to realize that they're living in excess and are looking for alternatives. SUV's not only are gas hogs (don't even get me started on the H2), some of them are downright deathtraps.

Mazda offers a Sport Wagon on both their 3 and 6 models (no comments on the vehicles themselves, please, I'm only proving a point), BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Saab (I know someone mentioned them already, but let me reiterate), hell, even KIA has a "Sport Wagon" model. The more I talk to people, the more I realize how hot these things are getting. Even American automakers are getting in on the act (Dodge Magnum). I just don't understand why Acura doesn't see it. If all these different automakers think they're worth offering, they must be selling.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nicodemus
Mazda offers a Sport Wagon on both their 3 and 6 models (no comments on the vehicles themselves, please, I'm only proving a point), BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Saab (I know someone mentioned them already, but let me reiterate), hell, even KIA has a "Sport Wagon" model. The more I talk to people, the more I realize how hot these things are getting. Even American automakers are getting in on the act (Dodge Magnum). I just don't understand why Acura doesn't see it. If all these different automakers think they're worth offering, they must be selling.
Tough, you're getting comments on the vehicles.
A friend of mine just bought the Mazda6 5door hatch. I think it's awesome. Tons of room and it looks so much like the sedan, you really don't get the stigma of a hatch. Why can't we see an Accord or TSX like that??? I would snatch one up in a second.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Mr. Karma

Well, the only reason I said that is because a lot of people here (from what I've gathered) aren't exactly Mazda fans, and I didn't want this to turn into a Mazda-bashing thread.

I agree with you, though. My wife and I are really starting to like the idea of a sport wagon, and if they made a TSX version, there'd be no question. Decent room (more than the sedan, anyway) and cargo space, good for a family... You'd have to presume all the good things about the TSX would be carried over. Plus, you'd have better fuel efficiency and it'd be one less completely excessive and unnecessary SUV on the road.