Newbie question: different brands of tire & type of tread on front/rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newbie question: different brands of tire & type of tread on front/rear

I tried looking this up here, & in my manual.
I'm a newbie, & the info is conflicting so please bear with me & don't send me back to the search.

I've only owned the RDX for 4 days.

I just realized that my '08 RDX has 2 different brands of tires, with different tread patterns.
I didn't notice the difference when I bought it, I just noticed the tires were new, so didn't look closer.

The front is Hankook something or other, & the rear is Venezia .
The tires are basically new, but I think this might be an issue since the tread is a different pattern, but I don't know for sure.
The tread is similar, but I don't know if that is 'good enough'.
I can't post pics yet to show you the difference.

How much of an issue is this with the RDX?
I've mixed brands with a Subaru in the past, but the tread pattern was an EXACT MATCH, not just similar.
I don't know if my tread pattern is *similar enough* for this vehicle.

My owners manual does say you can replace just 2 tires with similar tread/wear, if you keep the front the same & rear the same brand & wear, but goes into that just a little, but recommends having all 4 the same.
What the owners manual says doesn't satisfy my question.
In the real world, is this going to cause damage to anything?
I can't edit yet either, so will post the exact tire info in my next post.

Mainly, I'm concerned about how fast damage can occur if this is an issue. This is my daily driver & I'd need time to schedule a change if necessary & need to drive in the mean time.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

Front: Hankook M+S radial tubeless 235-55r18 100v

Rear: Venezia M+S 235-55-r18 100v Crossroad XT radial tubeless
Old 11-12-2016, 01:35 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
You should be fine having two different tires on each axle for the RDX. I've blown one tire in the past and just replaced both on the same axle with new and kept the older worn set on the other axle. I converted the other good tire opposite of the flat into a full size spare for the RDX. I just kept the newer tires on the fronts longer since the RDX is mostly fwd to even out the wear over time. You have to rotate both sets together front to back OR switch the tires side-to-side if they are non-directional tires. I think the issues with sh-awd is when you have significantly different tread depth on one axle with sh-awd.

The only other issue is traction during bad weather (wet roads, snow, mud, ice, etc...). The RDX sh-awd may or may not be as effective depending on how the two different sets of tires respond to the weather. I would check out the reviews of both tires on Tire Rack or Discount Tires to see which set might be the better pair. You might want to purchased two more of the same if one set supports your driving style and road conditions better long term. The left over tire(s) can be a full size spare.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

Much appreciated.
I didn't want to stress anything on my system.

I'll be getting rid of the venezia & matching up the hankook set most likely, & do that for dedicated summer tires.

In the mean time, I'm gonna get snow tires in a week or so, so it'll be all 4 the same.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Catia
Much appreciated.
I didn't want to stress anything on my system.

I'll be getting rid of the venezia & matching up the hankook set most likely, & do that for dedicated summer tires.

In the mean time, I'm gonna get snow tires in a week or so, so it'll be all 4 the same.
Sounds like a great plan!