need suggestions for carrying extra cargo on the cheap... roof rack? cargo bag?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:00 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb need suggestions for carrying extra cargo on the cheap... roof rack? cargo bag?

Proud owner of a 2007 Nighthawk Pearl RDX.
Also have a husband, two kids, and a German Shepherd service dog.
Going cross country to visit the family in two weeks after Christmas and need some kind of roof top arrangement to haul whatever won't fit in back with the dog. Mostly just clothing and normal stuff. Don't intend to ever mount anything else up there, like sporting equipment, but will be taking these trips 4-5 times per year, so need something that will not fall apart too easily.
Christmas is here and so are medical bills, so we're on a very limited budget. Anyone ever tried one of those bag things that goes on the roof without installing side rails?
Husband is very handy and could install them, we're just looking to keep costs down. Any suggestions appreciated! Pictures and websites and prices are even better! !
Old 12-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Those cargo bags are intended to be used with rails. It's a quick budget option but they can become a bit of a hassle. Not to mention their weather resistance is not that great. Another factor is the wind drag and sound from driving 60+mph.

Cargo carriers though pricey are well worth it. I would recommend Craigslist/eBay get a used one for great price. They do offer different size models.

If you will be frequently traveling this would be best option. Also source some used rails.

Easily removed if going with aftermarket rails.

Hope this helps you, we did cargo bag did not work well for us.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:59 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I think that you need the rails for the roof bags, but I stand to be corrected...I had a hard box with rails and crossbars, but I don't think that this is the setup you want/have.
I think that the plastic box is the best alternative, but if that's out of your budget, I would suggest that you go to etrailer.com and find something that will work for your situation.
Since you have a dog you are pretty limited to the roof or hitch (if you find something that will work).
I don't know if you have a hitch, but let's assume that you don't, a soft carrier for the roof OR for the rear door would be your best bet.
https://www.etrailer.com/partlist.as...p=Cargo%20Bags

If you do have one, there are some carriers that will attach to the hitch, but I am not sure that you would be able to open the hatch with it mounted, and having a dog, that's pretty important.