Looking to buy used 2010 RDX - 1st time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:19 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy used 2010 RDX - 1st time buyer

I've been looking at getting an RDX for awhile now, and have found one that looks like a good buy. Here are the specs:
2010 Acura RDX AWD w/ Tech Package
28,000 miles
5 speed automatic
I4 engine

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone would have - re: stuff to look for when I inspect the vehicle, questions to ask, etc. And, most important, any thoughts on the 2010 model, and issues that might've cropped up. I really like it, but want to keep my "eyes opened."
Thanks!
Old 12-15-2016, 12:00 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Have you taken the RDX on a test ride?

The ride can be a little stiff, noisy at hwy speeds depending on the tires and road conditions, the 5AT needs at least one extra gear sometimes, and combined mpgs are in the upper teens for the 2.3L I4 engine. I've had my 08 since 2010 and put over 100,000 miles on her and it is my favorite car to drive. The RDX is pretty much a hammer and everything you see are nails kind of car. The RDX performs best with the turbo spooled and sh-awd engaged on a curvy road. The turbo and sh-awd is extremely handy if you drive in the mountains and high altitudes. You might not like the RDX if you lean more towards a CRV or RAV4 type of driver.

Issues I've had (other than routine maint, tires, brakes, battery, wipers) were:
- OEM battery just sucks, replace if it is still there
- alternator replaced last year, +125,000 miles
- center arm rest replaced because of worn and ripped area where elbow rest (replace with real leather for $100)
- driver side sun visor replaced, would not stay in place because the plastic was sun damaged living in southwest
- driver side door actuator replaced (out of pocket)
- replace rattling front door speakers (under warranty)
- added front cam adjustment bolts (@ +100,000 miles)
- replaced struts/shocks (I had extra wear on OEM because +100,000 miles on lowered suspension)
- replaced brake booster sensor (out of pocket, RDX give you warning if bad)
- replace A/C compressor under 100,000 mile Acura extended warranty
- replace i-Vtec switch over solenoid (under power train warranty)
- Air conditioning/heater flap that directors airflow groans at start-up and had to be re-greased

Last edited by mrgold35; 12-15-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:17 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, mrgold25!
It's very important for me that the cabin is quiet. Is noise a consistent issue with the RDX? I currently drive a Subaru Forester XT (which is very noisy), and that is why I'm considering buying another vehicle.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:17 PM
mrgold35

Depends on what you consider noisy. The RDX might be better than the Subaru on the same stretch of hwy. It is mostly tire noise and picking good tires can really help lower the sound (or crank the ELS stereo up a few extra levels). The speed limit is 75-80 in the southwest and you get a higher increase in road noise compared to 60-70 mph. My RDX isn't as quiet as my MDX or TSX on the same stretch of road (all three cars have Conti DWS tires). The RDX is pretty quiet the newer the asphalt; but, it starts to get a little noisy the older the road gets.

I replaced all three sets of OEM Michelin tires at around 30K for each of my vehicles because of road noise mostly and poor winter performance when the road got slushy. The decrease in road noise at 75-80 mph wasn't as pronounce in the RDX compared to the MDX and TSX when I went with the Conti DWS.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
2011 FWD RDX here. I drive like an old lady most of the time, but Mr. Gold is correct, fun when the turbo spools up, but I still have the OEM Michelin tires on and they are noisy to say the least. They seemed to get even worse when I rotated them. I have 46K miles on them, so I have a little ways to go. Especially, since I only put 3500 miles on a year (2nd car right now). No problems except for the OEM battery, and a headlight replaced under warranty because of condensation. Did my own brake flush, and will start the Tranny flush over Holidays. Oil changes are a piece of cake. Literally, you can eat cake with one hand, and change the oil with the other.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:52 PM
mrgold35

I forgot, I also had the driver side headlight replaced because of condensation (covered under warranty). I didn't know I had a problem until I took a trip from dry NM to hot and humid Texas. Might have never discovered the problem if it wasn't for that trip.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by USCRx
Thanks, mrgold25!
It's very important for me that the cabin is quiet. Is noise a consistent issue with the RDX? I currently drive a Subaru Forester XT (which is very noisy), and that is why I'm considering buying another vehicle.
It's not super quiet to my senses. But quiet is relative. Drive it and see if it is quiet enough for you.

One thing to look for in choosing your RDX is seeing the maint records. With as low miles as it has, they should have changed the oil at least once per year.

Last edited by DRR98; 12-15-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
In my opinion the cabin is pretty quiet in terms of creaks and rattles, but a fair amount of road noise will find its way in, especially on rough surfaces. Quiet tires can mitigate this to some extent though. Wind noise is not bad at all - it will not intrude on normal conversations at highway speeds. I have 107k miles on mine now, and only recently did my first little rattle develop in the headliner. I don't hear it unless the radio is off, but nonetheless I intend to look at it and see if I can fix it before it becomes an annoyance.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:39 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
2010 RDX here. We've owned for just over a year now. We absolutely love it. We just reached 60k miles in ours which means we've put on 9k and change over the past year. We've had no problems whatsoever. Sorry, I can't add anything to what has already been said in terms of what to look out for. Just wanted to put my two cents worth in to let you know it's a great little SUV. As others have said, the turbo really makes it that much more fun to drive. Best of luck!

Oh, I did remember one thing. It seems to get a little unsettled on rough, bumpy roads but nothing too bad.