stalling again

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stalling again

so i got a new transmission in october of last year...ive put about 8k miles on it and my car has 98k on it altogether. For the past month or so, my car has been randomly stalling every couple of days...i would be driving, at any speed and all of a sudden, my speedometer and rpm needles would just drop and then a few seconds later, everything would kick back into place...all the lights come back on as if i just turned the car on...so driving around this way feels like someone turned the car off, then started it back up again in 2 seconds...so then my CEL came on last week and the dealer said it was a solenoid...they fixed it under the warranty and then today, it stalled a LOT and it started driving really slow and the CEL came on AGAIN! i checked the codes myself and it says P700 and P758...so im going to take it to the dealer AGAIN (im there ALL the time) and have them take care of it...but my question is, do i need to get a new car? I absolutely love this car, but its becoming ridiculous and unreliable.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,024 Posts
sounds like either the TPS or the IACV
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Land of Pleasant Living

Have you searched about this? A lot of people have had similar problems.
As for your question, nobody can answer that but you. A lot of us face that issue, and people go one way or the other: dump it and run, or dump more money into it and run it!
It sounds like you're just frustrated right now. This is a decision you should make when you're cool-headed.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Instructor

I totally agree on that...my parents own the car and i just remember wanting it for sooo long and finally finding the PERFECT one when I was 14 in the classifieds haha...that cooled me off...I took it to the dealer today and it was the TCM...they said some wires were loose and had to put it back...it seems like they put the transmission in, then something goes wrong here and there...after the dealer, it ran wonderfully and revved nicely...the shit i do for this car haha
Old 03-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Instructor

ok so today (and last sunday) the car stalled again and the CEL came on...again...i got the same two codes: p700 and p758. last week at the dealer, they said they fixed the wiring on the TCM but my car still stalls randomly, then kicks back in again. Its really annoying me that im going to have to go back...has anyone else had this problem??? As in my first post above, its the same symptoms...the ignition recall was done 22k miles ago...but im not sure if its that...thanks
Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

I think the P0700 code is just saying there is a transmission problem, and the P0758 is the sepcific problem.
I'm not sure if this helps any.. but I always think the more informed you are, the better. Maybe you can check the dealer's work, or just have a better idea of what's going on with your car. Maybe this is stuff you knew already anyway. Anyway, this is the repair for a P0758 code:

DPC P0758/8: SHIFT CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE “B”

1) Disconnect 26—pin TCM harness connector “A”. Turn ignition on. Using a DVOM, check for voltage between 26—pin TCM harness connector ‘A’, terminal No 2 (Green/White wire) and terminals No. 13 or 26 (Brown/Black wires). If voltage is not present, go to next step. If voltage is present, repair short to power in Green/White wire.

2) Turn ignition off. Measure resistance between 26—pin TCM harness connector “A”, terminal No 2 (Green/White wire) and terminals No 13 or 26 (Brown/Black wires) . If resistance is not 12—25 ohms, go to next step If resistance is 12—25 ohms, check for loose TCM harness connectors. Replace TCM with a known-good unit if necessary.

3) Disconnect shift control solenoid valve “B” harness connector. Check for continuity between 26—pin TCM harness connector “A”, terminal No. 2 (Green/White wire) and No 13 or 26 (Brown/Black wires). If continuity is not present, go to next step. If continuity is present, repair short to ground in Green/White wire between 26-pin TCM harness connector “A” and shift control solenoid valve “B"

4) Measure resistance between shift control solenoid valve “B” harness connector (solenoid side) terminals. If resistance is not 12—25 ohms, replace shift control solenoid valve “B”. If resistance is 12—25 ohms, repair open in Green/White wire between shift control solenoid valve “B” and TCM harness connector or in Black wire between shift control solenoid valve “B” connector and ground.

Again, make sure you are searching this site. I know people have had similar problems. You may want to search for the symptoms, not the actual codes. That might turn up more/better results. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Instructor

thanks for that it def helped because i noticed they fixed the solenoid and then the TCM got screwed up the week after...but i got those same codes last weekend and i didnt tell the dealer i had a reader and that i needed them to look...so they "didnt get any codes" but they cleared my CEL anyway...i got the same codes today...ughhh we'll see tomorrow
Old 04-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Instructor

so the dealer FINALLY found that my TCM needed to be replaced...another $1750...so my parents are done with putting money into it...i love the car like nothing else but theres a 2004 TL with 45k miles for $13.5 in my area for sale...its green and has no NAV. are these cars definitely good or are there little problems that pop up here and there? i dont want to get rid of the CL but its frustrating