Removing & cleaning evaporator box??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 01:21 PM
*~ i am a girl ~*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing & cleaning evaporator box??

ever since last fall, i have been dealing with a very stinky smell that comes out of my vents when the weather gets a lil warm. smells kinda sour/garbagey... really nasty. several months ago, i took it to the dealer for this, and they "flushed" the system with something that was supposed to kill the mold or whatever. well, that made it smell nice for about a week, but of course it came right back.

i took it back to the dealer a couple weeks ago, and this time they said that i needed the whole evaporator box removed and cleaned out, and that this was absolutely the ONLY possible solution. the problem is that they wanted to charge me $380 for this. i don't freakin have that kinda money!!

so my question is... would it be possible to remove & clean the evaporator box myself? where IS the evaporator box? any help would be greatly appreciated...

~sara~
Old 05-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They probably want to clean the part of the A/C system that is under the dash (holds the fan, A/C cooling coil, heater core, etc.). I have not taken mine apart, but I assume it is a real bitch to do. I took my fan motor out last weekend and that was even a little more complicated than I assumed it would be. Actually, $380 sounds fairly reasonable if they are taking apart what I think they are.

Good luck with getting rid of the smell.