New guy needs help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy needs help

Hey guys,

I've been looking for a nice, sporty, and classy vehicle for quite some now, and this Acura 3.0 CL has really impressed me. I found a superb 1997 in Taffeta (sp?) white for sale in my area for $4,900 with 107,000 miles. My father works with the owner, and I've been informed that he is a car guy that treated the vehicle like his kid.

I'm test driving the vehicle tomorrow at 10:00 am and I'm really looking forward to an awesome driving experience, and here's where your guys' help comes in... I read through the (very helpful) NOOB guide and read up on the troublesome auto tranny in the first generation CL's. From the newbcake guide, I’ve learned that I should look out for:
a. Differential bearing failure
b. 2nd gear clutch pack failure
I would really appreciate some tips on how to spot these problems during my test drive, and what questions I should ask the owner. Transmission aside, is there anything else I should keep my eyes open for?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I’m really looking forward to become a part of this great community. Hopefully I've made it through my first post without appearing like too much of a douche!

-Joe
Old 05-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Mmmm...

Originally Posted by Cheehos
Hey guys,

I've been looking for a nice, sporty, and classy vehicle for quite some now, and this Acura 3.0 CL has really impressed me. I found a superb 1997 in Taffeta (sp?) white for sale in my area for $4,900 with 107,000 miles. My father works with the owner, and I've been informed that he is a car guy that treated the vehicle like his kid.

I'm test driving the vehicle tomorrow at 10:00 am and I'm really looking forward to an awesome driving experience, and here's where your guys' help comes in... I read through the (very helpful) NOOB guide and read up on the troublesome auto tranny in the first generation CL's. From the newbcake guide, I’ve learned that I should look out for:
a. Differential bearing failure
b. 2nd gear clutch pack failure
I would really appreciate some tips on how to spot these problems during my test drive, and what questions I should ask the owner. Transmission aside, is there anything else I should keep my eyes open for?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I’m really looking forward to become a part of this great community. Hopefully I've made it through my first post without appearing like too much of a douche!

-Joe
Wow...

What an amazing first post and welcome

Well... good job on reading the noob guide first off

These other guys with 3.0's can help much more than I can but I would watch out just for rough shifts from 1st to 2nd cuz thats one of the symptoms... (obvious I know)

Besides that... thats all i really know

Good luck on the purchase though...
Old 05-04-2007, 07:20 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
also take it on a highway,WATCH THE TRANNY!!!!! if it remotely feels like it's slipping/rough look elsewhere.the 3.0 is a great ride all around.(still love mine)

btw:97's are FROST white(my color)
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

<Pinches self to make sure not dreaming of someone ACTUALLY reading that thing>

They are pretty well good build cars, asides from the rattleing, which may come from bass or being lowered or old age or all 3.

Much better interior build quality than other foreign cars. Not really too much to look out for, really... I have had my car for 4 years now and not one problem with it engine wise. Except for the minor wear and tear crap.

Just make sure it feels good when you drive it..
Old 05-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the color correction and sorry for the length!

Just wanted to make sure I said everything I wanted to be said in case this didn't get answered. But I guess 5 responses in 6 minutes sure proved that wrong!

-Joe
Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 PM
W WHIP.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you decide to go with it, enjoy!
Awesome vehicle for sure. You deserve a couple high fives for reading the NooB guide.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Turtle Charged, Biotcch!!

Hello & welcome dude, i have a 97 3.0 also.

If you have a floor jack, raise the car and look under it. Look at the CV boot and front axle, see if there is any leak (or gooey residue). Replacing axles & CV boot/shaft are not cheap or fun...

Be sure to ask the seller to let you test drive early in the morning, or tell him NOT to turn on the car before you come (if he doesnt drive the car). You should be the first one to get in the car and turn it on, then test drive it. The reason for this is because any sign of the tranny going bad can be identified easily when you first start and drive it in the morning after it was off for hours. If the tranny is toast, the car will jerk/slip violently thru every gear in the first 5-10 mins of driving in the morning. But after the engine is warmed up, the car will ride like a dream. If the seller refuse to do this, take notice and ask to reschedule the test drive.

When you test drive the car, lower both the windows. Take note how slow/sluggish the windows are, you might be looking at replacing window regulator soon if it's sluggish. This is a sub-$50 diy fix.

With the windows down, drive next to a wall and listen to the engine. Is it sounding like it's struggling? If it sounds bad than there's some thing wrong with it.

With the windows down and stereo off, take the car through many turns (left & right) and listen for any clicking sound, that's the indication of CV boot gone bad.

Any other things are the usual: carfax, general riding quality, rattling? electrical system (are the lights dimming/flickering???), etc.

Good luck and enjoy the car if you see everything is OK with it.

zZz
Old 05-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Advanced

I just performed the CarFax report. The vehicle came up completely clean and it qualifies for the "CarFax Buyback Guarantee"!

Thanks for all your help, guys. I really appreciate your insight!

-Joe
Old 05-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleep_DEPRIVED_Sleeper
Hello & welcome dude, i have a 97 3.0 also.

If you have a floor jack, raise the car and look under it. Look at the CV boot and front axle, see if there is any leak (or gooey residue). Replacing axles & CV boot/shaft are not cheap or fun...
CV Boots are not that bad to DIY... The axles run about 60 bucks for each side and tke about 30 min each side to replace...
Old 05-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Update!

Just got back from the test drive. I asked the owner about all those things listed above, and what the nooblet guide told me to check. I was able to squeeze a part of my Polish self underneath the car to make sure there was no leakage as well. The 1-2 shift was seamless and the car was very very smooth overall. The turning radius is a bit more than I'm used to (2006 VW GTi), but I can adapt to that easily.

I made the deal with the guy, and I'm picking up the vehicle tomorrow afternoon for a cool $4,900.

Thanks again for all your help. Next time you guys hear from me, I'll be asking for help on body kits and performance parts!

-Joe
Old 05-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Mmmm...

congratulations!!

Well, your probably gonna hear this from more than just me but... Body kit FTL (for the lose/loss ...incase ur not up to speed on forums terms) you'd be better off going with the WW front lip and painted side skirts

Old 05-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Advanced

Yeah, the body kits aren't really my style...

I generalized those spiffy lip kits in the "body kit" department, my B.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Mmmm...

i like that... "spiffy"

lets get some pics of that bad boy...

white you said... right?
Old 05-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Yessir

Frost White! I'll have the photographs as soon as I pick the vehicle up tomorrow.

I was very surprised about how nice the paint was on this car. Evidently, the dude had it garaged day and night.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome, I'm damn impressed with your first post, you're a rarity among newbies.

One suggestion, use the search feature when you're looking up topics, a lot has been covered. Other than that, have fun!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
^^ lots of props for reading the noob guide. enjoy the CL! manual ftw!