Cat Converter gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:16 AM
BJC
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat Converter gone bad?

[SIZE=3]Hi All,
I am new to the list and apparently inadvertently posted this to the TL list the first time. (Also, I'm not mechanically inclinded, so I really appreciate your input).
I have a 98 CL 2.3. A short time ago, I started to hear a virbrating noise coming from under the car which got progressively louder. (Someone thought the heat sheild was loose). Anyway, I got a check engine light yesterday, took it to Autozone, and was told it had 2 codes, P0141 and P0420, O2 sensor probs.
My question is: Do you think it's the sensor, or since it's making that noise from underneath, do you think it might be a bad CC?
Also, how long can I safely drive it like this? I don't want anything drastic to go wrong because of this.
One last thing> Do the O2 sensors need to be changed if the CC is replaced?

Thanks,
BJC[/SIZE]
Old 10-12-2006, 11:57 AM
~[τΏτ]~

You have to correct any O2 sensor codes prior to correcting the CAT. A lot of times a CAT will throw a code, when an O2 sensor is bad because the car will run rich since it is unable to get a proper reading from the O2 sensor. P0141 code is mostly corrected by replacing the O2 code. You can make sure of this, by unplugging the O2 sensor, take a multimeter and measure the ohm between the bottom two connections. You should get something between 20-40 ohm (i think, i'll verify). Mostly when it's bad it's 0.

Replacing an O2 sensor is much cheaper than replacing a CAT. Just make sure you get a genuine Acura/Honda O2 sensor. I heard mix reviewed about the Bosch one obtained at Autozone.

The mostly worst thing that can happen with a bad O2 sensor is your CAT melts. You also will experience lower gas mileage and less vechicle performance. For reassurance, my friend had a O2 sensor code in a 98 Accord 2.3 liter and the mechanic she originally went to, simply removed the check engine light bulb. A year later, she didn't pass the emissions and then asked me about it. All I did was put the bulb back in and change the o2 sensor. Her CAT was still worked normal and passed emissions with flying colors.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
The o2 sensors only need changed if they are bad. Can you describe the noise? Does it sound like a rattle, an exhaust leak, what? Chances are, if there's noise coming, it's the cat not the o2 sensors. The o2 sensors are cheaper and easier to change, and go bad on our car quite often. Only thing I'm concerned about is the sound you're describing
Old 10-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
yea thats whats happening to my car right now. it rattles at low speeds. and the cat is a bitch to replace. if youre in Cali then be prepared to spend alot of money.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:27 PM
BJC
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
The o2 sensors only need changed if they are bad. Can you describe the noise? Does it sound like a rattle, an exhaust leak, what? Chances are, if there's noise coming, it's the cat not the o2 sensors. The o2 sensors are cheaper and easier to change, and go bad on our car quite often. Only thing I'm concerned about is the sound you're describing
It's a rattle and it's been doing that for several weeks and seems to be getting louder.
I thought something had come loose underneath. (Someone mentioned the heat shield).

Then I got the check engine light and codes indicate O2 sensor problem. I was reading up on it and a few folks had recommeded changing sensors at the same time, but they seem to be pretty expensive as well.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Rattle is def the heat shield. Mine's held on with a piece of metal wire cuz it was rattling and scraping on the ground. As for the o2 sensors, those are cheap to fix, there is 2 of them, you can get them from ebay for like $20 a piece
Old 10-12-2006, 03:10 PM
BJC
6th Gear

Rattle is def the heat shield. Mine's held on with a piece of metal wire cuz it was rattling and scraping on the ground. As for the o2 sensors, those are cheap to fix, there is 2 of them, you can get them from ebay for like $20 a piece
Is there a correlation then between the heat shield coming loose and the sensor errors?
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by BJC
Is there a correlation then between the heat shield coming loose and the sensor errors?
Thanks.
Shouldn't be, but it couldn't hurt to look, it may be hittin a wire or something along those lines. If I were you I'd rip that rattling heatshield off the car
Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 AM
BJC
6th Gear

Shouldn't be, but it couldn't hurt to look, it may be hittin a wire or something along those lines. If I were you I'd rip that rattling heatshield off the car
Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:27 PM
BJC
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Nakamichi
You have to correct any O2 sensor codes prior to correcting the CAT. A lot of times a CAT will throw a code, when an O2 sensor is bad because the car will run rich since it is unable to get a proper reading from the O2 sensor. P0141 code is mostly corrected by replacing the O2 code. You can make sure of this, by unplugging the O2 sensor, take a multimeter and measure the ohm between the bottom two connections. You should get something between 20-40 ohm (i think, i'll verify). Mostly when it's bad it's 0.

Replacing an O2 sensor is much cheaper than replacing a CAT. Just make sure you get a genuine Acura/Honda O2 sensor. I heard mix reviewed about the Bosch one obtained at Autozone.

The mostly worst thing that can happen with a bad O2 sensor is your CAT melts. You also will experience lower gas mileage and less vechicle performance. For reassurance, my friend had a O2 sensor code in a 98 Accord 2.3 liter and the mechanic she originally went to, simply removed the check engine light bulb. A year later, she didn't pass the emissions and then asked me about it. All I did was put the bulb back in and change the o2 sensor. Her CAT was still worked normal and passed emissions with flying colors.
Sorry. I don't think I thanked you for your response yesterday. I appreciate the good info.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
it sound like it might be ur CC, watever u do, dont get those cheap one from Ebay. got one for my gf 00 accord, it pass emission the first year and failed next year.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:20 PM
HEET Miser

same happened to me -- catbox rusted over time (weakened), then i ran over something which knocked it loose to start the rattle; and it will only get worse. you can drive on it for a little while, but beware: i ended up burning mine to a crisp (complete with huge white spy hunter-type (and probably very foul-smelling) smokescreens at wot...don't do that!), and i was told there is the potential that it can get hot enough to start a fire down there when damaged like mine was [not good]. also, when i replaced my 02 sensor, i used the bosch universal, worked just fine for a long time, and for 1/3 the price of oem, just takes some attention to directions to attach the plug correctly.
good luck 2 u