'97 CL 2.2: replaced rotors, now pulsing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 CL 2.2: replaced rotors, now pulsing

Hello,

I already searched the site without luck...

On my '97 2.2 CL, I replaced the rotors and pads with new cross-drilled / slotted rotors (nickel plated). When I did the rear rotors, everything worked fine. After I did the front-right rotor (do you know what a f*cking NIGHTMARE that front brake setup is on the '97?), the brakes will pulse. Not always: at high speed it feels fine, and at low speed it feels fine. But from about 40 - 30 mph it pulses like crazy.

The supplier tells me to let the brakes "break in" for 200 miles, because the nickel has to be removed from the braking surface. Now, I believe that this has something to do with it, but I'm afraid that maybe I messed something up when I either removed the hub or when I replaced it. The front hub/bearing assembly is a press fit, so I removed it carefully with a puller. To reassemble, I used the axle nut to slowly draw it back together. It all went smoothly. I'm wondering if maybe the hub isn't centered or something, or could I have bent it? As I said, I was very carful and it seemed like everything went smoothly.

Any suggestions?

Thomas
Old 08-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Advanced

No Runout?

Tonight I pulled off the wheel and checked to see if the rotor was warped... I used a stationary pointer and rotated the rotor/hub. There was essentially zero wobble / runout. I didn't have a gauge, but it had to be less than 10 thousandths, maybe less than 5 thousandths. Very, very little.

So why the heck are they pulsing? Is it really just the nickel plating? I guess that if that is all it is, I should know in a few days when it wears off of the braking surface. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Thomas
Old 08-06-2003, 07:45 PM
AWD Torque Monster

u have to get the rotors trued. to make sure they are perfect and not warped the slightest bit. this will also shave off the nickel plating on the breaking surface. this is best done with the rotors already installed properly on the car. sometimes just bolting the rotor on can warp the rotor.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:11 PM
2nd Gear

Re: No Runout?

I have the exact same problem, My car is a 96 accord with the 98 cl hub/rotor conversion.

Brefore I changed the rotors and pad. It used to shake between 62 to 67 mph and 30 to 35 mph when braking. And at 65 mph it shaked even when I was not braking, just like a tire was out of balance but actually was the warped discs touching the pads when I am not braking. There was way too much warpage.

Now with new front rotors/pads the only problem is a much minor shake at 30 to 35 when braking. The knuckles/hubs/bearing are all new from honda/acura dealers since the old ones are way too rusty to seperate. So I am pretty sure there should not be any run out on the rotors, bearing or hubs. The only thing I can think of is uneven pad deposit on the rotors. I think I try to clean the rotors with some brake disc cleaner this weekend. Maybe I did not clean the rotors enough when installing. Mine are brembo blanks.

Originally posted by Thomasio
Tonight I pulled off the wheel and checked to see if the rotor was warped... I used a stationary pointer and rotated the rotor/hub. There was essentially zero wobble / runout. I didn't have a gauge, but it had to be less than 10 thousandths, maybe less than 5 thousandths. Very, very little.

So why the heck are they pulsing? Is it really just the nickel plating? I guess that if that is all it is, I should know in a few days when it wears off of the braking surface. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Thomas