Who would still buy an RLX after seeing the TLX???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Who would still buy an RLX after seeing the TLX???

It is so sad that when the RLX came out, it was such an anti-climax with its bland and forgettable design. No wonder why the sales have been so weak despite the fact that it's a very competent car. But being competent is not good enough, for sure.

Now just months later, the TLX Prototype is out and it seems to have everything that the RLX does (except for the hybrid set up and perhaps that Krell stereo) and so much more, and it is also 1000% better looking too! There is even excitement among many of us here, for a change!!!

So, who would be left to buy the RLX now!? In order to really differentiate between their 3 sedans (ILX, TLX and RLX), the RLX should have been so much better than this TLX prototype but it's not, if it's even better at all. And I am sensing a HUGE gap now between the ILX and the TLX? What is Acura gonna do!? Sigh....
Old 01-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
It is so sad that when the RLX came out, it was such an anti-climax with its bland and forgettable design. No wonder why the sales have been so weak despite the fact that it's a very competent car. But being competent is not good enough, for sure.

Now just months later, the TLX Prototype is out and it seems to have everything that the RLX does (except for the hybrid set up and perhaps that Krell stereo) and so much more, and it is also 1000% better looking too! There is even excitement among many of us here, for a change!!!

So, who would be left to buy the RLX now!? In order to really differentiate between their 3 sedans (ILX, TLX and RLX), the RLX should have been so much better than this TLX prototype but it's not, if it's even better at all. And I am sensing a HUGE gap now between the ILX and the TLX? What is Acura gonna do!? Sigh....
I was actually seriously considering the RLX Sport Hybrid and this is what shattered my dreams. I was at a plaza at night and saw an RLX park and later realized it was an Accord. That was a deal breaker. I am not gonna spend $70K+ (Sport Hybrid) for a car that one can confuse for an Accord.

I know the Jewel Eye headlights are a distinct feature but they have similar lighting on the Accord now.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
To me the RLX is an executive car or for cruising . The TLX is more of an athlete. The ILX is entry level luxury, the 6 speed was a blast to drive! Not everyone wants the size of the RLX or TLX, so the ILX I can working for the 20-30 something age group. I've seen several where I work and usually driven by younger people who, as the young man at the gym told, drives his because his dad and mom own Acura's and now he's got one the size he likes.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
..... I've seen several where I work and usually driven by younger people who, as the young man at the gym told, drives his because his dad and mom own Acura's and now he's got one the size he likes.
thats cute
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-25-2014), parasitius (01-26-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I traded in a 2006 RL SH-AWD ASPEC for my current 2012 TL SH-AWD. Loved the RL, however, I never really considered the RLX as it is more car than I need (size wise) and would be a bit too pricey for the version that I would want. My TL is "a more fun to drive" car than my RL was (although it was a blast to drive). I was holding out hope that the TLX would be "the car" for me. I love what they did with TLX and the 2016 version will be my 2012's replacement.

Last edited by Treblig; 01-15-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
To me the RLX is an executive car or for cruising . The TLX is more of an athlete. The ILX is entry level luxury, the 6 speed was a blast to drive! Not everyone wants the size of the RLX or TLX, so the ILX I can working for the 20-30 something age group. I've seen several where I work and usually driven by younger people who, as the young man at the gym told, drives his because his dad and mom own Acura's and now he's got one the size he likes.
The ILX doesn't represent the Acura brand. Neither the drive, not the materials used. The interior feels very cheap. The seats are just awful. I had it as a loaner while my car was in service and believe it or not, my back started hurting after a trip to Downtown Toronto.

It would have been a really nice Civic though because that car desperately needs a change and the ILX could have been a redesigned civic.

The TSX could have been the entry point. It would have also raised the entry price point making it seem like an expensive brand.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I was considering the RLX but it was a little too....ummm.....old folks type of car for me. Now that I've seen the TLX I want it. I like it a lot. Although, I don't think Acura should have created the ILX. I think they should have had TSX, TLX, and RLX. The ILX is around $30,000 and I feel like people that are looking for a car the size of the ILX with performance equal to the ILX are shopping civic, corolla,..etc. type cars. That would make the ILX out of their price range. People that can afford a car around the $30,000 price range are probably looking for a better car than the ILX.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MyBlackBeauty
I was actually seriously considering the RLX Sport Hybrid and this is what shattered my dreams. I was at a plaza at night and saw an RLX park and later realized it was an Accord. That was a deal breaker. I am not gonna spend $70K+ (Sport Hybrid) for a car that one can confuse for an Accord.

I know the Jewel Eye headlights are a distinct feature but they have similar lighting on the Accord now.
You know, I used to get so mad when people said that the TL was just a tarted up Accord.... then one day, I saw a car at a parking lot and I thought it was an Accord... I looked more closely and realized that it was an RLX. Oh my goodness..... you could not imagine how I felt then!!! I felt like it was a huge slap to my face as I have been defending Acura all these years when people said it's a tarted up Accord, then I myself mistook an RLX as an Accord.... OUCH....
Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acura_Girl_Forever
I was considering the RLX but it was a little too....ummm.....old folks type of car for me. Now that I've seen the TLX I want it. I like it a lot. Although, I don't think Acura should have created the ILX. I think they should have had TSX, TLX, and RLX. The ILX is around $30,000 and I feel like people that are looking for a car the size of the ILX with performance equal to the ILX are shopping civic, corolla,..etc. type cars. That would make the ILX out of their price range. People that can afford a car around the $30,000 price range are probably looking for a better car than the ILX.
Great minds think alike
Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Don't be surprised if RLX gets a touch up shortly after TLX release, i like the Sport Hybrid model but would rather drive a TLX based on looks alone
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Terragotti
Don't be surprised if RLX gets a touch up shortly after TLX release, i like the Sport Hybrid model but would rather drive a TLX based on looks alone
I expect Acura to do so, just to keep it alive!!! Stat CPR is needed to keep the RLX alive!!!

I am incredibly intrigued by the RLX Sport Hybrid too. However, just like the other poster, I feel that it's ridiculous to spend $70K on a non-descript Accord lookalike...... on the other hand, if the RLX Sport Hybrid looked like the TLX prototype..... JUST IMAGINE THAT!!!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I think if the RLX were a RWD platform it would have all made better sense. But we all know that project was cancelled by Ito several years ago. The RLX will appeal to more conservative buyers that are looking for more an executive sedan with more interior room. But that market is pretty much dominated by the 7 series, S-class, A8 etc. Once the TLX goes into production the RLX will be more a niche product than it already is. I think the SH-AWD version will be the compelling version that will keep it around. But the FWD models will suffer.

I expect the ILX to get a powertrain improvement at the MMC that will make it a little better buy. It has a lot of ground to make up though.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I'd consider the hybrid RLX. But I would not mistake it for an Accord though. It is quite larger and the signature grill along with the the jewel eye led headlights are unmistakeably Acura. Maybe the shape of the headlights are similiar. Also, I think that is why the beak/shield is so prominent on all their models; to separate and distinguish it from Hondas. Apparently it didn't work for a few.
carbonTSEX (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
I'd consider the hybrid RLX. But I would not mistake it for an Accord though. It is quite larger and the signature grill along with the the jewel eye led headlights are unmistakeably Acura. Maybe the shape of the headlights are similiar. Also, I think that is why the beak/shield is so prominent on all their models; to separate and distinguish it from Hondas. Apparently it didn't work for a few.
When I mistook the RLX as an Accord I really just saw the side profile. I did not see the grill or the front, so that was the problem. Even though the RLX is larger, the proportion, the design cues etc. are a bit too similar to that of the Accord, I'm afraid.... it just does not convey that "premium" feel enough to justify its price tag, or to compete with the other Japanese or German rivals.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I might be one of the few people who think the RLX looks great, unfortunately it's out of my price range and age group.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
When I mistook the RLX as an Accord I really just saw the side profile. I did not see the grill or the front, so that was the problem. Even though the RLX is larger, the proportion, the design cues etc. are a bit too similar to that of the Accord, I'm afraid.... it just does not convey that "premium" feel enough to justify its price tag, or to compete with the other Japanese or German rivals.
I completely agree the RLX is uncomfortably similar to the Accord, but I actually think it does have a "premium" look, with a stately gravitas the previous RL sorely lacked. Problem is, so does the Accord! A couple of months ago, I checked the passenger side mirror in my TSX, and glimpsed the flanks of a classy lookin' sedan, which I initially thought was a previous generation S-class Benz. Turned out to be a new Accord.

Lots of good points raised in this thread about the problematic market positions of the ILX and RLX. The ILX really is not premium enough to wear the Acura badge, and the RLX has some stiff competition and looks too much like the Accord. I agree with those who say it's an executive cruiser for someone who wants a large car, and I think it makes sense as a reliable, all-weather alternative to other premium sedans. But I also understand why it's not selling. Acura might recognize it as a niche vehicle, and leave it alone while the TLX racks up the sales, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes too. Perhaps the hybrid version will perform well in comparison tests, and gain some traction in the market.

The ILX, however, simply has to change IMO, and I think it will. I expect new engines, possibly including the same 2.4L four going into the TLX, or perhaps a VTEC Turbo. Give it a more upscale interior, better noise suppression, and some steering and suspension tweaks, and it could be viable in the entry level premium segment. I think it looks good, and the size is perfect, so it certainly has potential.
a35tl (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MyBlackBeauty
The ILX doesn't represent the Acura brand.
That's exactly how my wife felt. We had one as a service loaner. She he must be obeyed kinda liked the shape but felt that the engine was entirely too weak and buzzy. She said "it must be one of those four cylinders".

IMO the TLX looks great and the red color of the prototype is spot on (I'm so tired of black, white, silver). I just hope that they announce a 6MT option for next year.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBigPill:
a35tl (01-16-2014), ostrich (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
Brand new, no, but the RLX will probably make a great used car in a few years. I would consider a used hybrid RLX but no way I'd take that depreciation hit, they're asking too much money for the car. If I could afford the list price I'd probably think less about it being halfway green and reliable, and say who cares about that I can afford an expensive car and maybe get something with an M or AMG badge on it.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigPill
That's exactly how my wife felt. We had one as a service loaner. She he must be obeyed kinda liked the shape but felt that the engine was entirely too weak and buzzy. She said "it must be one of those four cylinders".

IMO the TLX looks great and the red color of the prototype is spot on (I'm so tired of black, white, silver). I just hope that they announce a 6MT option for next year.
I'm with you on the 6MT but I'm hoping it will be on the V6 SH-AWD version. If so, I will get it in that red or a blue if they make one for the MMC.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigPill

imo The ILX is the type of car that makes people distrust car companies and it does more harm the brand than is offset by revenue generated. It is almost as bad as trying to sell a Chevy Cavalier as a Caddy Cimmaron. Well, nothing will ever be that bad.
ostrich (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
The RLX has great tech, but its sales will remain stagnant and dismal as long as Acura insists on keeping it FWD. What the RLX needs to make it a true competitor is a face lift, and only offer with AWD if they're going to continue refusing RWD. Hell even Lexus figured that out. If you want to play with the Germans its RWD, AWD, or GTFO.

Minor cosmetic changes would go a long way for its perception. When I look at the RLX I'm reminded of my old Avalon. Big, comfortable, and BORING. Whether the rags agree with me I put the RLX in the same category as the A8 and 7 series. Huge, nonathletic looking cars for really rich guys that have a driver.

The performance of the new hybrid AWD reads amazing, but with current aesthetics the car will not sell
Old 01-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Very good question!

For me after seeing the TLX prototype, the answer is no. The RLX is a nice car but I wouldn't spend MY money on it. If the TLX's interior looks great and is as quiet as the new MDX, it's going to be a big hit for Acura. Hopefully they'll give us more color combos because it's a high volume car.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm one of the (apparently few) people that like the overall looks of the RLX and it looks great on the road amongst other cars - the odd part is that it just doesn't look good parked at the dealership - whats that all about. Anyways as most on here have called it - the TLX is going to be a hit for Acura. They have so emphasized the 'sporty' 'tomb like' aspects of it that I'm dying to read any review, first drive etc.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nedmundo
I completely agree the RLX is uncomfortably similar to the Accord, but I actually think it does have a "premium" look, with a stately gravitas the previous RL sorely lacked. Problem is, so does the Accord! A couple of months ago, I checked the passenger side mirror in my TSX, and glimpsed the flanks of a classy lookin' sedan, which I initially thought was a previous generation S-class Benz. Turned out to be a new Accord.

Lots of good points raised in this thread about the problematic market positions of the ILX and RLX. The ILX really is not premium enough to wear the Acura badge, and the RLX has some stiff competition and looks too much like the Accord. I agree with those who say it's an executive cruiser for someone who wants a large car, and I think it makes sense as a reliable, all-weather alternative to other premium sedans. But I also understand why it's not selling. Acura might recognize it as a niche vehicle, and leave it alone while the TLX racks up the sales, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes too. Perhaps the hybrid version will perform well in comparison tests, and gain some traction in the market.

The ILX, however, simply has to change IMO, and I think it will. I expect new engines, possibly including the same 2.4L four going into the TLX, or perhaps a VTEC Turbo. Give it a more upscale interior, better noise suppression, and some steering and suspension tweaks, and it could be viable in the entry level premium segment. I think it looks good, and the size is perfect, so it certainly has potential.

Some good points here. I think the biggest failing for the RLX is the greenhouse which looks too similar to the Accord (which IMHO has a nice upscale and conservative look). I drove past a RLX on the freeway and like what Nedmundo says, I also believe it has a certain presence that is similar to a feel I get when I see a 7 series....sort of flat and wide. The next problem was launching the RLX only as a FWD model without the hybrid AWD. That made the press focus only on the FWD drivetrain. An Audi A6 is also based on a FWD architecture and you can actually order it but of course, when you read about them in magazines, they are only fitted with Quattro.

Regarding the ILX, my thoughts are the wrong engine. My guess is that the product planners were afraid if they had a 2.4 auto along with the manual, it would take sales away from the TSX which I assume has a higher profit margin. A lot of the things that you guys mentioned like better materials and noise isolation (and more aggressive looking wheels) would go a long way in helping as well. Acura can then position the ILX like Audi does with the A3...a slightly upscale GTI.

My 2 cents.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I'm not sure if I'd buy either.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
My parents who are both over 65 would choose the RLX over the TLX. I wouldn't fault them in the least for it either. I think it would suit their needs and desire for less flash better, albeit a little more flash wouldn't offend them.

My thoughts on the ILX echo many of the ones I've read in this thread. They really need to sharpen this car a lot. A better base power train would go a long way. They need to make it quieter and more luxurious and quite frankly something that would be worthy of the Acura nameplate. The TLX is so sharp in comparison to the ILX and probably won't require that much more money for the base models. If I were in the market and had the choice of paying $30k for an ILX 2.4 or maybe adding $3k or $4k to step up to a base TLX, it would be a no brainer.

Of course, the pricing isn't known yet. The gap could be more or less than my estimates. But if the gap is close, I would definitely go with the TLX. In fact, I don't know why anyone would choose an ILX over a V6 Accord for the same money or less. That is one sweet engine in the Accord and it's certainly more luxurious and roomy, and still quite efficient on regular fuel.

So my take is:

ILX: Okay but definitely needs improvement for its price point. (I would rate it a "5" on a 1-10 scale of relevance in its class.)
TLX: Dang near perfect if the price is similar to the current TL's pricing. (I'd rate the TL a solid "9" or maybe even a "9.5")
RLX: Now that people are paying low $50k for Advance trim models, I think it's a lot of car for the money. Certainly that wouldn't be the case if they were demanding the $61k list price. Would still like to see a slightly bolder exterior design but overall it's a good car. Sport Hybrid version is hot if they keep the price down. (I'd give the RLX a "7.5")

Last edited by a35tl; 01-16-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Once the tlx is released there is no need for the rlx you get the same tech for less money plus the tlx is way better looking with a single row of led vs 2 rows on the rlx, im hoping that the side mirrors with the continuous led motion makes it to production.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 07wdptl-s
Once the tlx is released there is no need for the rlx you get the same tech for less money plus the tlx is way better looking with a single row of led vs 2 rows on the rlx, im hoping that the side mirrors with the continuous led motion makes it to production.
People can say the same thing about a 5 series and a 7 series. Why buy a 7 series when you can get a 5 series. When it comes to Acura, people will say it, but when it comes to BMW, Mercedes it is different, why?
The RLX will be a bigger car with a few more options and intended for a different market than a TLX.
The following 2 users liked this post by wutaguy:
nore03 (01-22-2014), Tonyware (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 06:13 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Old 01-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wutaguy
People can say the same thing about a 5 series and a 7 series. Why buy a 7 series when you can get a 5 series. When it comes to Acura, people will say it, but when it comes to BMW, Mercedes it is different, why?
The RLX will be a bigger car with a few more options and intended for a different market than a TLX.
i guess we will just have to wait until the tlx is released to really see if the rlx is still relevant.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
The performance of the new [RLX] hybrid AWD reads amazing, but with current aesthetics the car will not sell
The RLX Hybrid is ½ s quicker to 60 than the RLX P-AWS car. It is not a barn burner.

I think that in this thread there are two major misconceptions; namely, (1)the availability of the car and (2)its real performance.

There won't be enough 2014 RLX of any kind, Hybrid or P-AWS, even if people did want to buy them.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ BTW, I saw the RLX Hybrid in person yesterday and it looked good but visually, I didn't feel it was significantly different. For the record, I don't find the RLX offensive at all.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I think the RLX will remain "relevent". It has its market which is not necessarily TLX-ers. I think Acura's challenge will be the same as their RL Gen2 challenge, Marketing.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree with Treblig...and quite frankly, Acura cannot go with just 2 sedans + 1 halo car (the NSX). I think that it will need to do a quick refresh to tweak the weakness of the car but as many of us have stated, a simple change that would have huge impact would be to offer better wheels.

They also need to make sure that the price seperaton between the RLX and TLX is decent to avoid having the same proble the TL and RL had in the past.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by weather
I didn't feel it was significantly different.
The more time passes the more I believe i will hang onto what I have.

But...I will look at the Hybrid one more time, just in case.

You never know. ☺️
Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Would i still buy the RLX after seeing the TLX??? I dont know. No one has seen the production version. All we have seen is the concept. A LOT can change from now to the actual production version.
BEAR-AvHistory (01-25-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Would i still buy the RLX after seeing the TLX??? I dont know. No one has seen the production version.
We know it's a McPherson car based off the Accord, not a double A car based off the Legend.

:-)

That's enough for some people to make a decision.

But I honestly believe the TLX will be a sales hit. One of the advantages of that kind of suspension is that its modular cheapness allows you to spend money on other things.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
We know it's a McPherson car based off the Accord, not a double A car based off the Legend.

But I honestly believe the TLX will be a sales hit. One of the advantages of that kind of suspension is that its modular cheapness allows you to spend money on other things.

George, would you mind taking a moment to explain what you mean? Is a "double A" superior? Does the 4G have that? Is that a bad thing?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Glashub
George, would you mind taking a moment to explain what you mean? Is a "double A" superior? Does the 4G have that? Is that a bad thing?
The 4G TL was large enough to be able to design with two A arms per side ("double wishbone") and still pass all the safety standards that Honda was interested in. The 2009 4G TL design is still a very good performer in 2014's safety tests.

The fully independent double wishbone front suspension is inherently superior to any McPherson suspension, no matter how well designed the McPherson suspension. Honda's first McPherson came out in 2002 model year, and they learned a lot since then. The McPherson suspension on the current generation Accord is, all the reviewers are saying, probably the best McPherson suspension they've ever seen in a cheap car, and probably the best this side of a Porsche.

I'd have been delighted if they'd found a way to have the suspension from the RLX on the TLX.

The trouble is...the design metric called for a car smaller on the outside than the 4G TL was, and the economic metric called for a car to be based on the Accord.

So here we are stuck with a front drive bias McPherson design. Don't even talk to me about Porsche, because that is very different. The Porsche is a rear engine car with rear bias drive...you're not going to face the same problem with a Porsche that you face with a Honda, where the drive wheels are also doing the weight bearing and the turning.

Now that Honda has worked all the kinks out of it and they are designing one of the best McPherson suspensions in the world, we are left with one incontrovertible, unalterable problem: you can't keep camber in a hard turn.

So what worries me is how they've changed SH-AWD to make it less radical than it was on the 4G TL, and how they might have altered the front suspension to lessen this theoretical but incontrovertible design problem associated with losing camber.

They obviously can't do what they did with the 4G TL SH-AWD, in which 70% of the total power would go to the rear, and you could use 100% of that on one wheel when you wanted.

I'm sure they'll do the very best job anybody in the world could do with this kind of setup, and I very much look forward to the final details.

But you can't vector as hard onto the outside front wheel of a McPHerson car as you'd vector onto the outside front wheel of a 4G TL, or RL.

Having said all this, I'll add that once you decide to go to a certain size at Honda/Acura, you must transition to McPherson in order to meet the crash standards they've established in house. The old TSX would not have met those standards any longer, for example. If they designed a new TSX instead of the TLX, the TSX would also have to be McPherson.

I look forward to the TLX being a sales hit, and I'm sure they've done as awesome a job as anybody could do with a McPherson nose, but it's never going to be as good, theoretically, as a bigger and more expensive car with the RLX type of suspension inn it.
The following 3 users liked this post by George Knighton:
2011TL (01-24-2014), Glashub (01-22-2014), weather (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton

Its enough to make a decision on a chassis that may be shared with it but you are still unable to know how it will actually look inside and out and the features and price???? sorry but comparing a concept to a car that is already out asking which one is better or if you would buy it is no better than paper racing

Quick Reply: Who would still buy an RLX after seeing the TLX???