Vibration issue Acura TLX SH-AWD 2015-16-17-18

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in the province of PQ, Canada, and I own a 2015 TLX V6 ELITE SH-AWD since early 2015. Although the car only has less than 70K kilometers (44K Miles), I’ve ran into multiple car fixes at the dealership ever since I got it. In fact, based on previous posts, I believe I’ve got all possible situations.

Within the very first 24 hours as an owner, I made a complaint because the automatic 9 speeds transmission shiftings were not smooth (especially between 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears), and also because of an error message on the display. In the following weeks, I also complained about weird noises (metal-on-metal) coming from under the hood somewhere on the passenger side (front right corner of the car) that could make a pedestrian jump of the sidewalk when the intermittent noise occurred. It took them 2 years, and a video I filmed, in order to figure out the issue: it turned out to be an A/C conduit vibrating and causing that noise against the car frame or something else located under the hood. Besides the bad transmission that isn’t fixed, the car also has vibrations (in the seats, steering wheel, floor, etc.) and, unlike others who claimed feeling vibrations at high speed, I can feel the vibrations AT CONSTANT SPEED (when the VCM drops from 6 to 3 cylinders)anywhere from 40kms/h to 120kms/h (note: I did not try it above 120km/h) OR BETWEEN GEARS shiftings. Furthermore, part of the car was repainted because paint was lifting from the mounts around the rear glass(rear window), one(1) Shock was replaced because it was faulty, and the rear camera got replaced because it had water infiltrations into the lens. Also, it occurred at least 2 or 3 times that the car stalled (total shut down for 1 minute or so, including transmission shifted on neutral by itself. We had to restart a few times in order to get the car going again).

Vibrations and bad shifting: Dealers performed the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) # J-12-16 not only once, but twice. For some reason, it was done before and after they changed the car transmission (brand new transmission installed). And after all this, all 6 injectors where replaced on the engine because there was a lot of misfires recorded in their computer device. Finally, because Acura (Honda Canada) has not been able to fix the situation, I was told that vibrations was a characteristic of the vehicule. It was easy for them to tell me so, not only because that’s what they tell everyone else, but because I kept complaining that every loaner car they provided me during the multiple repairs had the same transmission/vibrations issues as mine.

Now, Honda Canada Costumer Service told me they won’t do anything more at this point to try fixing vibrations and bad shifting. This is the situation I’m in and I sympathise with all other TLX owners who, alike, me, where not told this was an an “inherent trait of the vehicule” prior to sign the dotted line…but I don’t plan only to sympathise, and I don’t think it’s being idealist at this point to ask for more from Honda Canada.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

...and I forgot to mentionned that, alike many others, all four (4) tires were replaced by new tires, and were put back on the car because it didn't helped at all with the vibration issue.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
I have a 2019 3.5 AWD and I notice a slight vibration in my seat from 70-80mph. Once I hit 70 it doesn't do it, but once I hit 75 it starts and maintains down to 70-80. Once I speed up and hit 80+, it stops
Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by someguy11
OP, did you have any luck in court?

I purchased a CPO 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD a couple months ago. I felt the distinct slight vibration between 68-80 mph and wrote it off as an imbalanced tire. That's exactly the sensation it resembles having driven dozens of cars over 20 years. For those who don't know - it's a high frequency, low amplitude shake. It's bad enough to vibrate the floorboard, steering wheel and passenger seat enough that the belt buckle rattles. I researched the Goodyear LS2s it had and concluded they were garbage tires that needed to be replaced soon anyway around 40k miles.

So I replace those with Michelin Premier A/S - a very good tire. Drove home and immediately realized that was not the problem. I researched more (including here) and learned about this chronic expressway vibration issue. I called the Acura dealer to describe the problem. They are completely aware and asked me to bring it in to perform the two TSBs. I hoped that would fix it. It did in fact get better. It's much smoother at 70-75, but the vibration between 75-80 still exists.

I don't blame the dealer for not being able to fix it; however, there is a design flaw with this car that Acura is aware of and cannot fix (otherwise they would have by now). These cars are about to come up as CPO and used off-leases that will anger a whole new group of people. I'm hoping they figure out the problem and issue a TSB soon.

It's definitely a mechanical problem, but what's strange is it comes and goes, meaning it's something dynamic. It's inconsistent. On the same highway within 2 miles, it starts, tapers off, then it gradually comes back, then disappears. It's not the roads. No other vehicles have issues on these roads. Forget about those who think it's VCM. It's not. It happens under acceleration, deceleration and coasting. It's definitely not the tires or forged rims, because imbalance would never pass the balancer. It's not the engine mounts or propeller shaft TSBs. It's not the transmission, because the vibration is consistent between gears and RPMs. I don't think it's the axles, because it's not a constant vibration for any given speed. For many of those guesses, the frequency and amplitude of the vibration would be proportional to something, whether it be speed (moving parts) or RPMs (engine/transmission).

All of my driving to date had been under Normal IDS. I tried an experiment on the expressway flipping through the IDS modes. Perhaps this was a placebo effect, but I found that Sport exhibited the least vibration amplitude. Eco and Normal were the worst. Sport was the best. Sport+ was no better than Sport except the engine downshifts two gears.

I think this whole 70-80mph vibration has something to do with the suspension. I'd love to know if anyone who replaced the springs, struts and shocks, or any combination of those, still has the vibration.
Hi Someguy,
FYI, my take of this vibrations problem has always been that it is not just one, but at least two problems. The reason why I believed it is two (or more) problems is because, as you said, vibrations are felt while accelerating, decelerating but also while coasting. I associate the acceleration/deceleration to the transmission, but I associate the coasting issue to the VCM performances. In October 2018, while performing a roadtest with the Chief-Mechanic at my Dealership, I had him recognize that vibrations happens whenever the car Idle is going down (accordingly, when the VCM kicks in). After they had performed a bundle of unsuccessful tries (such as changing tires for other tires, changing transmission, and changing all six injectors, etc. (see my previous post #201) I asked that he perform a roadtest with the VCM disactivated.
Base on the documents I was provided by the Dealer, it say "...WE TRIED THE VEHICULE WITH THE VARIABLE CYLINDER MANAGEMENT DISENGAGE WE HAVE FOUND THAT VEHICULE VIBRATIONS HAVE STOPPED AT CONSTANT SPEED ALIKE WHAT THE COSTUMER WOULD CLAIM IT WOULD DO"(free traduction from french to English). Although the document does not specify about the other acceleration/deceleration, it seems obvious to resolve part of the issue. I wish I would be able to do this test myself with the VCM deactivated and come to that same result, but the Dealer does not want to disactivate the VCM and let me drive the car, because he claims deactivation of the VCM also deactivate the ABS système and other safety features. For legal and safety reasons, it is not recommended for anyone to deactivate it himself, because the dealer could eventually claim, in Court, that you modified the car and broke it yourself.
As you see, it may have to do something with VCM. At least, evidences seems to prove it.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by One4AL
Hi Someguy,
FYI, my take of this vibrations problem has always been that it is not just one, but at least two problems. The reason why I believed it is two (or more) problems is because, as you said, vibrations are felt while accelerating, decelerating but also while coasting. I associate the acceleration/deceleration to the transmission, but I associate the coasting issue to the VCM performances. In October 2018, while performing a roadtest with the Chief-Mechanic at my Dealership, I had him recognize that vibrations happens whenever the car Idle is going down (accordingly, when the VCM kicks in). After they had performed a bundle of unsuccessful tries (such as changing tires for other tires, changing transmission, and changing all six injectors, etc. (see my previous post #201) I asked that he perform a roadtest with the VCM disactivated.
Base on the documents I was provided by the Dealer, it say "...WE TRIED THE VEHICULE WITH THE VARIABLE CYLINDER MANAGEMENT DISENGAGE WE HAVE FOUND THAT VEHICULE VIBRATIONS HAVE STOPPED AT CONSTANT SPEED ALIKE WHAT THE COSTUMER WOULD CLAIM IT WOULD DO"(free traduction from french to English). Although the document does not specify about the other acceleration/deceleration, it seems obvious to resolve part of the issue. I wish I would be able to do this test myself with the VCM deactivated and come to that same result, but the Dealer does not want to disactivate the VCM and let me drive the car, because he claims deactivation of the VCM also deactivate the ABS système and other safety features. For legal and safety reasons, it is not recommended for anyone to deactivate it himself, because the dealer could eventually claim, in Court, that you modified the car and broke it yourself.
As you see, it may have to do something with VCM. At least, evidences seems to prove it.
The VCM vibration can at least to some degree be mitigated by having them "resynch" the active engine mounts. Techline recommended this procedure after I got my transmission replaced and I experienced what seemed like engine lugging at low RPMs. A number of people, and I am among them, believe there is something in the suspension design that creates some sort of unfortunate resonance, almost like a standing wave.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
I wish I would be able to do this test myself with the VCM deactivated and come to that same result, but the Dealer does not want to disactivate the VCM and let me drive the car, because he claims deactivation of the VCM also deactivate the ABS système and other safety features. For legal and safety reasons, it is not recommended for anyone to deactivate it himself, because the dealer could eventually claim, in Court, that you modified the car and broke it yourself.

I’m not an auto tech and certainly not the expert on this vibration. I do know Honda is having all sorts of issues with the VCM. They appear committed to the technology for efficiency ratings and cannot disable for EPA reasons. The VCM has led to engine misfires on at least one model (Odyssey) for which Honda extended powertrain warranties to 8 years/unlimited mileages due to gasket breakdown/spark plug fouling. Honda has publicly disclosed this system causes vibration since 2008 models.
My favorite line in this video was when Honda says, “Some customers may be more sensitive to the noise and vibrations…” Of course we are, because IT’S NOT RIGHT! Honda practically blames us for noticing it and not tolerating this madness.

Your suspicion could be easily tested by asking anyone who installed VCMuzzlers or VCMTuners if their expressway vibration ceased. The theory that it is VCM-related is totally plausible, but I would expect the vibes to stop under acceleration, which they don’t on my car. They’re consistent for all revs and engine load. My car settles in around 1500rpms on the expressway. That is 25 rotations of the crankshaft per second. Half of these are power cycles – explosions in the cylinder. I think a V6 engine vibration when powered by 3 instead of 6 pistons would be 12-25 “pulses” per second. That is a higher frequency than the one my car exhibits. My passenger seatbelt buckle goes back and forth about half that, maybe 6 times per second.

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
The VCM vibration can at least to some degree be mitigated by having them "resynch" the active engine mounts. Techline recommended this procedure after I got my transmission replaced and I experienced what seemed like engine lugging at low RPMs. A number of people, and I am among them, believe there is something in the suspension design that creates some sort of unfortunate resonance, almost like a standing wave.

I still agree that it is partially or fully suspension related. I think it is failing to dampen road imperfection, the slightest tire imbalance, frame vibration, VCM or any combination of those. I think the weight of this car is too large for the suspension, resulting in a sort of resonance. I wish someone with the vibration could drive down the expressway with a GoPro mounted underneath the frame to see what is happening at the axles, control arms, driveshaft and differentials. I think the control arm would tell the story.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Pro

I’m not an auto tech and certainly not the expert on this vibration. I do know Honda is having all sorts of issues with the VCM. They appear committed to the technology for efficiency ratings and cannot disable for EPA reasons. The VCM has led to engine misfires on at least one model (Odyssey) for which Honda extended powertrain warranties to 8 years/unlimited mileages due to gasket breakdown/spark plug fouling. Honda has publicly disclosed this system causes vibration since 2008 models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIZP0024stE
My favorite line in this video was when Honda says, “Some customers may be more sensitive to the noise and vibrations…” Of course we are, because IT’S NOT RIGHT! Honda practically blames us for noticing it and not tolerating this madness.

Your suspicion could be easily tested by asking anyone who installed VCMuzzlers or VCMTuners if their expressway vibration ceased. The theory that it is VCM-related is totally plausible, but I would expect the vibes to stop under acceleration, which they don’t on my car. They’re consistent for all revs and engine load. My car settles in around 1500rpms on the expressway. That is 25 rotations of the crankshaft per second. Half of these are power cycles – explosions in the cylinder. I think a V6 engine vibration when powered by 3 instead of 6 pistons would be 12-25 “pulses” per second. That is a higher frequency than the one my car exhibits. My passenger seatbelt buckle goes back and forth about half that, maybe 6 times per second.

I still agree that it is partially or fully suspension related. I think it is failing to dampen road imperfection, the slightest tire imbalance, frame vibration, VCM or any combination of those. I think the weight of this car is too large for the suspension, resulting in a sort of resonance. I wish someone with the vibration could drive down the expressway with a GoPro mounted underneath the frame to see what is happening at the axles, control arms, driveshaft and differentials. I think the control arm would tell the story.
I have a 2014 MDX SH-AWD Tech that also has VCM and it has no vibration whatsoever. Zip, zilch, nada. That's why I think it is the suspension of the TLX and/or some aspect of the SH-AWD mechanism, since they changed it between the 2014 MDX and the 2015 TLX..

Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

I have a 2014 MDX SH-AWD Tech that also has VCM and it has no vibration whatsoever. Zip, zilch, nada. That's why I think it is the suspension of the TLX and/or some aspect of the SH-AWD mechanism, since they changed it between the 2014 MDX and the 2015 TLX..
Yeah, I really believe you're onto something here. Our 2012 Odyssey has VCM. Unlike our TLX, the Odyssey has an ECO light, and the van clearly exhibits a vibration when ECO activates and deactivates. I wouldn't call it a problem, but it's noticeable. It's an awkward, sort of clunky, not quite jerky, vibration in the floorboard and steering wheel that lasts about a second or two. If the van was a person, the VCM would be like a hiccup or a sneeze. I'll tell you what - the whole philosophy and implementation of VCM worries me as far as longevity and reliability go. I hope my van proves me wrong, but I doubt it will see 120k without major issues. VCM is a different vibration that is masking something inherent to the TLX V6 SH-AWD.

The TLX physically shakes on the expressway. The severity of my vibration was lessened by new tires, two TSBs and road force balancing, but mine is still noticeable. Like you said, it's something mechanical like the drivetrain or suspension. There are many variables here, but you can start to rule things out based on some observations.
-No issues with the I4 or V6 P-AWS. This issue is exclusive to the V6 SH-AWD.
-If it were VCM, the V6 P-AWS and every other Honda vehicle out there would have the issue (imagine the fallout if their beloved Accord vibrated like this on the highway... bye-bye 30 straight years of C&D Top 10 and every other award they continue to win).
-If it were bad active engine mounts like the TSB suggests, the V6 P-AWS would have the issue.
-Propeller shaft is exclusive to SH-AWD and is a good thought, but it doesn't fix it.
-Not tires, because road force balancing doesn't fix it. We can't all be driving around with imbalanced, imperfect tires.
Now that I've summarized what it is NOT, I really wish both Acura and I knew what it IS. Shame on them if they're no longer working on it.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some owners experience it. Some don't. You will know it if your car does exhibit the vibration. It feels like an imbalanced tire or like a wheel weights fell off. In my case, it was bad enough that I could see the dashboard and tach/speedometer needles shaking, I could feel it in the floorboard, and I could see my passenger seat and passenger seat buckle vibrating. I tolerated it because I knew I had to replace tires soon, but to my chagrin, replacing tires didn't ultimately fix my vibration. For me, two TSBs and a road force balance of all four new tires reduced the vibration to about 5-10% of the original. My passenger buckle still shakes.

Set the cruise between 70-80mph and watch the passenger seat belt buckle. Mine vibrates with a low amplitude, high frequency resonance (back and forth a small amount but very fast). The theory is that the buckle is a symptom of frame vibration because the buckle is mounted to the frame via a long arm, so it amplifies any degree of frame vibration. I've never driven a car like this that looks and/or feels like it vibrates, unless it were due to the tires. It's clearly a problem due to owners' consistent experiences and Acura issuing TSBs. Dealer attempts to balance, road force balance and replace tires has proven it's not the tires.

At least my vibration has been minimized enough to almost entirely ignore the problem.
So I actually have the issue on my end.. While the buckle does exactly what you said it should, I still feel no vibrations while driving nor does my wife in the passenger seat. Weird. I guess that's a good thing. I'm thinking about calling Acura to see if there was anything done to my vehicle before purchasing it. It was corporate owned so who knows and I'm a bit curious.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi One4All,

It is bizarre, when I went to court with Acura in October (still waiting for the court judgement), they said I was the only one complaining about the vibration in Quebec. Which dealer are you dealing with ?? And Who did you talk to at Acura Canada ??

The only way to get justice, is to sue them, like I did. Unfortunately for me, I did not get any return from members of different forum before my court audition.

So they told the judge that I was the only one in Canada and Quebec complaining about this vibration issue.

If you decide to sue them, just do it via small court in Quebec. And if you decide to do so , I will gladly back you up.

Thanks, Mickey
Old 12-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Originally Posted by kwalchicago
So I actually have the issue on my end.. While the buckle does exactly what you said it should, I still feel no vibrations while driving nor does my wife in the passenger seat. Weird. I guess that's a good thing. I'm thinking about calling Acura to see if there was anything done to my vehicle before purchasing it. It was corporate owned so who knows and I'm a bit curious.
If so, it was probably one or two actions by a local dealership:
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-009.PDF - propeller shaft
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-057.PDF - engine mounts
You can ask any dealer about these by name, title or what item it covered. They will know what you are asking about and why. Just be glad it doesn't vibrate enough for you to feel. If you're under warranty, any of this should be covered. If either or both TSBs haven't been performed on yours, you may not want to do it to avoid making it worse. What tires are on the car? The OEM Goodyear LS2 are pretty much junk.

Originally Posted by Tardym
So they told the judge that I was the only one in Canada and Quebec complaining about this vibration issue.
I hope for the sake of all that is good and decent that you get a judge who can see through such complete baloney put forth by the corporate legal team of a large multi-national corporation. It is absurdity to claim you're the only one when hundreds of dealerships between two countries each probably fielded dozens of claims of expressway vibration such that Acura USA issued the above TSBs and Acura Canada issued ASB-J-12-16: VIBRATION FELT IN FRONT SEATS AND FLOOR AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. Yeah, ONE car owned by ONE guy named Tardym had this problem.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

...The theory that it is VCM-related is totally plausible, but I would expect the vibes to stop under acceleration, which they don’t on my car...
Someguy,
First, thank you for this video. Very informative and, unlike your situation, on my 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD ELITE, this is what I fell. I mean that "VCM vibrations" do stop under acceleration/deceleration or at constant speed while downshifting a couple (2) gears with paddle on the steering wheel. So, although this does apply to me with regards to constant speed vibrations, I also do feel another kind of vibrations while the transmission upshift/downshift. What I call the "transmission vibrations" seems to be a different issue to me because it doesn't last long and goes away once the shifting is completed (I guess). FYI, I'm talking about "transmission vibrations" that are still present even after TBS# J-12-16 was performed twice and a new transmission was installed between the two TBSs.

Originally Posted by tardym
The only way to get justice, is to sue them, like I did. Unfortunately for me, I did not get any return from members of different forum before my court audition.
Tardym,
You may not recognized me under my "One4AL" but you and I discussed over the phone recently and you already told me you'd support me, and you have by Emailing me informations. FYI, I've already been through all documentation you sent me and it did help me to understand a little better the Court system, and the "fling-flang" Honda's lawyers can do in Court while trying to mitigate the real situation. I'm very sorry I wasn't aware of this ACURAzine forums (and your requests for documents) until about a week after you went in trial at "La Cour des Petites Créances" on Oct.9,2018, because I certainly would have send you copies of what I had at that point. My understanding is that it seems suing is what will need to happen. I'm working towards this goal already, for what could become a wide scale lawsuit (Action Collective), and I'm analysing all options at this moment. First, I need to sit with a lawyer firm to establish the framework; it should be done before the end of 2018.I'm not entirely sure but I don't think it would apply for all of North America, and I'm not even sure it would apply to all of Canada either. Let just say, I'm looking at the options and work is in progress.

Here's a One4AL suggestion: I'd like to reinforce the fact that all Acura Costumers (that we are) need to ensure that what is being written, by the dealers, on Service documents that are being handed to us after getting our car serviced, reflects what was done and found. FYI, I have experienced receiving from my Acura Dealer a Service document that was not reflecting what had been done, nor what we had found. A whole paragraphe was wrong, and there was no mentions, what so ever, about other work that had been done. I had to fight to get informations both corrected and added. At first, they gave me the "Unfortunately, it has been closed and cannot be reopened, because it was done under warranty". Accordingly, I strongly suggested them to "Open a new warranty worksheet in which they would indicate they need to fix the mistakes (not to say lies) that had been written on the previous document". I now got it fixed almost entirely so it reflects mostly the truth, but they will apparently not change the balance of what needs to be fixed and will not get back to me anymore, despite multiple requests (phone, in person, by email). Again, I strongly recommend that everyone reads carefully the documents that are being handed to them by their Dealer and asked for precisions/corrections on the spot. In my situation, what was written could have had a negative impact for me, because it was written they had fix the vibrations, when their work had, in fact, not change a thing on my car's vibrations.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:54 PM
10th Gear

Well...I fixed my problem. I changed it for 2019 2.4 PAWS ASpec. Now, vibration is gone. Smooth highway cruising. The DCT 8speed is much better that the 9 speed. Yeah I don’t have AWD any more nor a 3.5 V6 but what I have is more than adequate on performance, and handles better as it’s an ASpec. Oh, amd it doesn’t vibrate!!! Did I mention that?? ha ha Overall I still like Acura. It is unfortunate they messed up that particular model/trim.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by seadooman
Well...I fixed my problem. I changed it for 2019 2.4 PAWS ASpec. Now, vibration is gone. Smooth highway cruising. The DCT 8speed is much better that the 9 speed. Yeah I don’t have AWD any more nor a 3.5 V6 but what I have is more than adequate on performance, and handles better as it’s an ASpec. Oh, amd it doesn’t vibrate!!! Did I mention that?? ha ha Overall I still like Acura. It is unfortunate they messed up that particular model/trim.
Hi Seadooman,
my understanding is there now is a VIBRATING 2016 TLX SH-AWD ELITE SILVER at Acura Camco, in Ottawa, Canada. Since Honda and Acura claim it, I would assume the new owner will be well informed by the dealer about "the caracteristic of the vehicule"(your post#93) prior to having him signing the dotted line.
That said, I'm glad for you because vibrations shouldn't be part of our daily lives. It seems you've been looking for a change for some time (since post#176). Accordingly,would you be able to provide a document of some sort that would identify how Abysmal Trade-in are?
Lastly, I guess your decision of making this change came after you've been proven there was no vibrations in 2.4s (Your post#94 : "I was advised by dealer that even some 2.4s have the same issue")?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:39 AM
Cruisin'

It's been since my Integra days since I've been on here. I am in the market to take advantage of the lease offers right now on the 2019 TLX.

I love Acura and I want the ASPEC White with red interior. I live in the MW where we have snow so I have been thinking of the AWD ASPEC. But after reading it seems the 2.4 is the way to go. What's the realistic chance of the AWD having the vibration issue vs the 2.4? Would a solid highway test drive suffice or does the issue not show up until a few thousand miles in?

This thread and issue reminds me of my 2016 Yukon Denali. GMC Yukons and Tahoes had a 'buffeting' issue with that was due to a mix of the V8 engine cylinder shut off and bad roof supports. It would make a loud buffeting noise like a rear window was down at highway speeds. A lot of people experienced it on the GM forums but I never did. Was a great and quiet suv. So on this forum it seems rampant in the earlier 2015-2018, has the 2019 been good so far?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by impaul4
So on this forum it seems rampant in the earlier 2015-2018, has the 2019 been good so far?
FYI, I was placed in a brand new 2019 TLX a few weeks ago (mid-oct.2018), while the Dealer was replacing all 6 injectors on my TLX (trying to fix the vibration issue at constant speed) and, despite it only had 1200kms on the odometer, the 2019 TLX V6 SH-AWD was vibrating alike my 2015. By Honda/Acura, I was told (and others were told the same) multiple times this is "the caracteristic of the vehicule". Accordingly, I think it's fair to say all V6 models have the same vibration issue [ I believe 2.4s don't have the same issue (no VCM), but I'll let others comment on this]. I must have driven near a dozen TLX V6 loaners since 2015, and I always came back to the dealer with the same comment " this TLX does the same vibrations at constant speed as mine" and sometime I added "...and transmission isn't smooth as it should be". Accordingly, I'm sure they are making great deals on TLX V6, because they certainly don't want to get stuck with them….
Old 12-14-2018, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

So is the issue just in AWD? If I get the V6 FWD TLX would it vibrate?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

I thinks Freakerdude 's post #43 is the best answer to your question, but I can also certify I've experienced it myself, in one of the Dealer's loaner I drove. Basically All TLX V6 are vibrating, and it's probably due to VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) systems and 9 speed transmissions
Originally Posted by freakerdude
I took my one week old 2018 TLX A-Spec FWD to the dealership today and explained the 75MPH vibration issue to the service agent. I told him that I can see the passenger seat back shake and he kind of acted like it was no big surprise. So they checked the balancing on all four tires and all came out well. When he came to get me from the service area, he told me the Honda has knowledge to a vibration issue and there is no resolution to it at this time. So basically he told me that it’s being looked into and that he owned a 2016 TLX that does the same thing. I find it very odd that this seems to be somewhat acceptable.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:25 PM
Cruisin'

I'm going tomorrow to drive the 2.4 and 3.5 extensively on the highway. This issue sounds just like the VCM for the Yukon and Tahoe. The vibration would go through the body and into the roof support where some weren't welded or adhered well.

Sounds like a hit or miss issue. Or personal sensitivity to said issue.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
So is the issue just in AWD? If I get the V6 FWD TLX would it vibrate?
Just to be clear and as I've stated before, in my instance neither my old 16 3.5 PAWS nor my current 19 3.5 PAWS exhibit any vibration issues. But in fairness, I imagine that the issue is intermittent at best for either powertrain.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Cruisin'

Drove the AWD Tech, AWD Aspec and 2.4 aspec. I got no vibrations from any. I like the power and sound of AWD aspec but the shifting of the 2.4. Right now the AWD tech has the best price at $32,500. The AWD aspec is at $35,400. Reason I want to stick with AWD is for snow season. I’m not sure how the FWD would be as opposed to the AWD.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Drove the AWD Tech, AWD Aspec and 2.4 aspec. I got no vibrations from any. I like the power and sound of AWD aspec but the shifting of the 2.4. Right now the AWD tech has the best price at $32,500. The AWD aspec is at $35,400. Reason I want to stick with AWD is for snow season. I’m not sure how the FWD would be as opposed to the AWD.
A new 2019 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD is $35,400? Tell me where your dealer is.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by a35tl
A new 2019 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD is $35,400? Tell me where your dealer is.
That's my lease sale price $5k discount +5600 incentives
Old 12-16-2018, 05:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
That’s a great price. Mine was just a hair over $30k for a base ‘19 3.5.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:27 PM
10th Gear

Hi Seadooman,
my understanding is there now is a VIBRATING 2016 TLX SH-AWD ELITE SILVER at Acura Camco, in Ottawa, Canada. Since Honda and Acura claim it, I would assume the new owner will be well informed by the dealer about "the caracteristic of the vehicule"(your post#93) prior to having him signing the dotted line.
That said, I'm glad for you because vibrations shouldn't be part of our daily lives. It seems you've been looking for a change for some time (since post#176). Accordingly,would you be able to provide a document of some sort that would identify how Abysmal Trade-in are?
Lastly, I guess your decision of making this change came after you've been proven there was no vibrations in 2.4s (Your post#94 : "I was advised by dealer that even some 2.4s have the same issue")?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
In the end, I got a respectable trade-in - much better than from another competitive brand, a decent rebate, a loyalty discount on financing which made it almost free to finance and Acura carried my extended warranty over to the new car at no cost to me, for the full original term, along with a previous $1000 credit for any servicing. So, despite Acura corporate’s legal position on this topic - that it is a characteristic of the vehicle, I would say they did what they could to retain me as a client - I’ve bought 4 Acura’s from them... Make no mistake, it still cost me at the end of the day - no free ride but ‘nuf said now from me. Time for me to move on....and enjoy my new car .

I do wish everyone else with this issue all the best. I know how frustrating it is. I wish it were different.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

I happened to be in for service the other day and was assigned a really sweet loaner. 2019 TLX 2.4L FWD A-Spec Tech. I was grinning ear to ear when I saw it idling in the lot ready for me to drive off. Its appearance is awesome and the exhaust note is cool, but it sorely lacks any grunt in my opinion. But I'm not here to review that car or package. I'm here to say that it vibrates on the highway. I couldn't believe it. Yes, it's a 4 cylinder (no VCM). Yes, it's front wheel drive. Yes, it's A-Spec (special suspension I thought). All of those things mean it shouldn't vibrate, but it does. Brand new. 156 miles on the ODO.

I am now completely dumbfounded about the cause or source of this. No wonder Acura can't figure it out. Look, I love my V6 AWD Advance. The vibrations are minimal enough to tolerate. But there is something fundamentally wrong with some of the 5G 2015-2019 design across all engines, drivetrains and packages. Considering the transmission woes, vibration issues and various other owner complaints, I would simply look elsewhere for a luxury/performance car. Audi, Lexus, MB or BWM would never release a car with a "characteristic" like this. Don't risk this vibration happening to you after certain tire wear or your next service, tire rotation or tire replacement.

I took a video to prove I wasn't crazy or lying. This is the loaner. My car does the same thing after new tires, two TSBs and a road force balance. YMMV.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

I'm convinced it's not just the V6 AWD. I test drove the 2.4 Aspec, V6 aspec. V6 AWD Advance, 2.4 w/Tech, and another V6 AWD Aspec that had 6k miles on it. The only one that vibrated was the first new AWD aspec. The characteristics of the shaking were not of the VCM system. It shook as I accelerated. This car was in their storage lot so it has been there since delivery and it's 15 degrees out currently. All the other cars I drove were fine.

I have an AWD with Tech and an AWD aspec on order. I'll buy the one that drives the best.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
So that's why I think the vibration has something to do with the design and the driving assistance technology ...
Old 12-18-2018, 03:11 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
I happened to be in for service the other day and was assigned a really sweet loaner. 2019 TLX 2.4L FWD A-Spec Tech. I was grinning ear to ear when I saw it idling in the lot ready for me to drive off. Its appearance is awesome and the exhaust note is cool, but it sorely lacks any grunt in my opinion. But I'm not here to review that car or package. I'm here to say that it vibrates on the highway. I couldn't believe it. Yes, it's a 4 cylinder (no VCM). Yes, it's front wheel drive. Yes, it's A-Spec (special suspension I thought). All of those things mean it shouldn't vibrate, but it does. Brand new. 156 miles on the ODO.

I am now completely dumbfounded about the cause or source of this. No wonder Acura can't figure it out. Look, I love my V6 AWD Advance. The vibrations are minimal enough to tolerate. But there is something fundamentally wrong with some of the 5G 2015-2019 design across all engines, drivetrains and packages. Considering the transmission woes, vibration issues and various other owner complaints, I would simply look elsewhere for a luxury/performance car. Audi, Lexus, MB or BWM would never release a car with a "characteristic" like this. Don't risk this vibration happening to you after certain tire wear or your next service, tire rotation or tire replacement.

I took a video to prove I wasn't crazy or lying. This is the loaner. My car does the same thing after new tires, two TSBs and a road force balance. YMMV.
https://youtu.be/wLeQ2lpYQX4
If you get the car up to speed (like 60mph) and feel the shake/vibration and then take the car out of gear and let it coast in neutral does the shake/vibration persist or cease? If it ceases then at least you can eliminate the drivetrain as the culprit.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow, didn't know the 2.4 had this issue as well. New 2.4 A-Spec owner here and so far no vibration but I dont think I've driven past 70mph. Will keep an eye out and report back.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Cruisin'

Honestly the vibration is prob intermittent at best and subject to the sensitivity of the driver. Our Traverse technically has a vibration because the unoccupied car seats in the back rattle like crazy- but I can't feel it no matter where I sit.

This is just like the large GM SUV buffeting issues. They all probably had them, it's just how sensitive you are to it. I heard the Pilot's had it, the earlier IS300/350's. The list can go on for every car ever made.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm pretty sure we do know what the problem is. See post 178 or the first page where quantum7 first posted it.

This is the TSB for it. TSB 16-057
Old 12-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Advanced

Honestly the vibration is prob intermittent at best and subject to the sensitivity of the driver. Our Traverse technically has a vibration because the unoccupied car seats in the back rattle like crazy- but I can't feel it no matter where I sit.

This is just like the large GM SUV buffeting issues. They all probably had them, it's just how sensitive you are to it. I heard the Pilot's had it, the earlier IS300/350's. The list can go on for every car ever made.
my Honda Element had poohly designed engine mounts and it had the vibration.

My 2013 BMW 328 never did.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 PM
10th Gear

Just wanted to update everyone here on the vibration issue and the steps I went thru for my 2018 TLX SH-AWD. I live in TX and just last week I submitted my complaint to Texas Motor Vehicle Lemon Law department. They started the paperwork and sent my formal complaint to American Honda Corporation. Just yesterday I got a response back: American Honda will not address this issue and claims the vibration is a characteristic of this vehicle.

Needless to say my complaint was useless and my car will not get fixed/buy back/refund. My complaint may still go to a hearing board but that maybe a long shot. I still have to discuss this with the advisor in the Texas Lemon Law department. Monday the soonest.

So I am asking other members here, Please still go ahead and process your Lemon Law complaint from whichever state you live in. I can help anyone that is interested in doing so. Maybe with enough complaints we can make a change.

It is very sad, as you members will probably agree. I have been a die hard fan of Honda and Acura my whole life. I've own only Hondas/Acuras purchased new: Accord, FIT, TL, RDX MDX TLX.

I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER HONDA/ACURA PRODUCT EVER AGAIN.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi Vinceyee99,

When you said you got a response back, did you get it on writing or just verbally ??
I am still waiting for the court decision, but Acura mentioned to the judge that they never inform any of their clients or dealership that this was a "Characteristic of the vehicle".
Make sure they write it down. And if possible post it on this forum.

Thanks, Mickey
Old 01-11-2019, 01:05 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Tardym
Hi Vinceyee99,

When you said you got a response back, did you get it on writing or just verbally ??
I am still waiting for the court decision, but Acura mentioned to the judge that they never inform any of their clients or dealership that this was a "Characteristic of the vehicle".
Make sure they write it down. And if possible post it on this forum.

Thanks, Mickey
Guys,
here's the reply from my CR Rep; I am now thinking of going to the consumer help here in Ontario Canada. Mickey once you get your decision let us know and i still have to test my car on the highway if its worse or better with the 4 brand new tires of Michelin make.....
Good evening Mr. Kaushik,

As per your request, this email will serve as Honda Canada’s position with respect to the case review involving your 2018 Acura TLX Tech.

With the assistance of the dealership Policaro Acura, Honda Canada has concluded that the alleged vibration symptom felt within your vehicle is not consistent of a defect but rather a characteristic of operation. In the sake of customer satisfaction, Honda Canada has agreed to cover the costs of replacement tires (to an alternate brand – Michelin). It is our understanding that the dealership did not get the opportunity to test drive the vehicle after this installation. We would invite you to return to the dealership in the event the vibrations have gotten worse.

In closing, we wish to assure you that your feedback has been forward for future improvement of our products and services. Honda Canada remains committed in correcting any confirmed defects within the warranty period.

Please be advised that there are no further updates and/or repairs to be completed on your vehicle at this time.

Kindest Regards,

Joel Bosse

Senior Mediation Specialist

HONDA CANADA INC.

1-888-922-8729 x3219

The following users liked this post:
rzr_tlx (01-28-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:01 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
FYI, follow up to my post in May of last year. Couldn’t take the increased vibration I experienced after Conti DWS06 tires were installed and within the 60 day Conti return period I had the dealer swap out to Conti TrueContact Tour tires and the vibration issue was greatly reduced. Not completely eliminated as it’s still there at highway speeds but reduced by about 80% to make driving it tolerable again.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:28 AM
Advanced

Reporting back after 1200 miles on my 2.4 TLX A-Spec and can happily report that my car doesn't have the vibration.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:00 AM
10th Gear

Hey Mickey,

The response back was both a phone call and a letter. I will post the letter response here for everyone to read.
The following users liked this post:
rzr_tlx (01-28-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Pro

So interesting story. I had never had this vibration problem (early 2015 TLX SH-AWD) until after my most recent A1 service where they rotated and balanced the tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3s with probably 30K miles). Then it was distinctly noticeable. I brought it back in for a 4 wheel alignment and to get the wheels rebalanced. They recalibrated the balancer before doing the balancing and found out that one of the wheels was off balance, and I had a slight toe in on the left front which the alignment fixed. Now it is almost gone but on certain roads I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and gas pedal primarily, and on others it is smooth. Doesn't seem to matter what RPMs I'm at, and whether the VCM is operating. It definitely happens when the engine is putting torque to the rear wheels though. Very weird.

This makes me think that certain folks who early on suggested that it was the SH-AWD differential in the rear might be right. I have not noticed anything like this on my 2014 MDX which has the older SH-AWD differential. The other thing I wondered about was whether the vibration transmitted to the frame through the front and rear suspension could set up some sort of waveform interference pattern that become noticeable at certain frequencies.

I will be very curious to see if anyone ever figures this out, and whether replacing the tires when it is time eliminates the residual vibration.
Interesting update... Since I posted this, I could feel a bit of vibration at about 82 mph. I just had a B13 service done where they rotated/balanced the tires and changed the rear differential fluid. Since then, all vibration is gone, car is smooth as butter again. Really weird -- I am extremely grateful as I was worried that it might be worse than before the service, it never occurred to me it might go away. I thought maybe it was the temperature (it has been really cold since I got it done), but it bumped up to 60 degrees F the other day and still no vibration. Makes me wonder again if it was something with the rear differential. But I am trying not to look a gift horse in the mouth on this one. ;-)

Quick Reply: Vibration issue Acura TLX SH-AWD 2015-16-17-18