AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   VcmMuzzler (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/vcmmuzzler-951929/)

kuzdu 11-26-2016 09:54 PM

VcmMuzzler

Hey everyone, anyone with any feedback on the VcmMuzzler? Did it make a difference and how is the vibration and response time?

wlkeel 11-27-2016 07:16 AM

See Post 22 of this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...s-16-a-943053/

5 Acuras 11-27-2016 03:18 PM

Check out the Pilot and/or Odyssey owner forums.

kuzdu 11-28-2016 08:21 AM

Thanks going to do some research, would you guys consider it?

kuzdu 11-29-2016 08:23 AM

i put an order in for this, lets wait and see for it to come and installed and i will have some feedback on this.

Mr Hyde 11-29-2016 09:56 AM

No VCM issues on my 2015, but I don't understand what this is. Saying you ordered it makes it sound like it is some kind of aftermarket software programming. Is that correct?

kuzdu 11-29-2016 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde (Post 15906334)
No VCM issues on my 2015, but I don't understand what this is. Saying you ordered it makes it sound like it is some kind of aftermarket software programming. Is that correct?

it disable the vcm from activating, it alters the computer by adjusting the temp and not activating the VCM. i have shudders around 40 and vibrations around 60, then the gas pedal is stepped on they are gone. a lot of people has these issue but its weird how some TLX feels it more than others.

Mr Hyde 11-29-2016 11:38 AM

I understand what it does, just don't understand who is offering this.

Is this an aftermarket solution?

kuzdu 11-29-2016 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde (Post 15906498)
I understand what it does, just don't understand who is offering this.

Is this an aftermarket solution?

yup i got it from

VCMuzzler II for disabling VCM - FAQ's - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

username: verbatim

cube1 11-29-2016 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by kuzdu (Post 15906466)
it disable the vcm from activating, it alters the computer by adjusting the temp and not activating the VCM. i have shudders around 40 and vibrations around 60, then the gas pedal is stepped on they are gone. a lot of people has these issue but its weird how some TLX feels it more than others.

At 40 Mph, the VCM should not be engaging. From what I have read, VCM is not active until 60Mph. And having it go in and out would be such that any vibration would only last about a second, I would think. What may be going on is that the engine is lugging a little bit from being in too high a gear, which causes some vibration - and it will last as long as that situation remains. Adding gas pedal input causes the engine to downshift (watch your tach), and presto, the vibration goes away. That is what I have experienced in my car, and that I also experienced (at somewhat lower speeds) on my old I4 TLX at times (which of course did not have VCM).

Mr Hyde 11-29-2016 01:04 PM

Interesting.

Originally Posted by cube1 (Post 15906612)
At 40 Mph, the VCM should not be engaging. From what I have read, VCM is not active until 60Mph. If you have a V6 then what may be going on is that the engine is lugging a little bit from being in too high a gear, which causes some vibration. Adding gas pedal input then causes the engine to downshift (watch your tach), and presto, the vibration goes away. That is what I have experienced in my car.

I have noticed that roughness in eco mode, but only through the gas pedal; my car wasn't vibrating/shaking. Haven't noticed any other vibrations or shaking in my car whether or not VCM was active.

cube1 11-29-2016 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde (Post 15906621)
Interesting.

I have noticed that roughness in eco mode, but only through the gas pedal; my car wasn't vibrating/shaking. Haven't noticed any other vibrations or shaking in my car whether or not VCM was active.

I have experienced it in all modes (except Sport+ of course).

kuzdu 11-29-2016 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by cube1 (Post 15906612)
At 40 Mph, the VCM should not be engaging. From what I have read, VCM is not active until 60Mph. And having it go in and out would be such that any vibration would only last about a second, I would think. What may be going on is that the engine is lugging a little bit from being in too high a gear, which causes some vibration - and it will last as long as that situation remains. Adding gas pedal input causes the engine to downshift (watch your tach), and presto, the vibration goes away. That is what I have experienced in my car, and that I also experienced (at somewhat lower speeds) on my old I4 TLX at times (which of course did not have VCM).

Yup its does engage and it is the vcm, its running around 4 cyl at that speed cruising. above 60 its annoying with that vibration. we payed for a 6 cyl car and this will allow all 6 cyl to run at the same time. Your only going to loose about 1-2 mph. most of the time our cars are not running on 6, cruising and driving its running on 4. until you get on the gas the tranny has to downshift and then activate the cylinders then your off.

mondster 11-29-2016 04:15 PM

When vcm is engaged, it runs on 3 cylinders, not 4. Most likely the reason why there is vibration since the number of cylinders running on each side isnt equal.

kuzdu 12-13-2016 07:54 AM

VCM installed

Hey guys i have the VCMuzzler installed and so far no check engine lights and car is running fine. I installed it last night but didn't have a chance to take it on the highway yet but i did notice that vibration around 38-42 miles rage is gone. this evening i will take it on the highway and reply back.

kuzdu 12-14-2016 08:18 AM

VCMuzzler ***REVIEW***

Sooooo took the car last night out on the highway and all i can say is the car is soooooooo smoooooooootthhhhhhh. no vibrations around 40, 60 and cruising is like its on glass. i guess the VCM use to cause a lot of drive train vibrations. it feels really clean now.

no check engine, no issue with power delivery or loss of power, its feel great. now you can tell when the tranny is ready to shit and up and down just like my 4G, no more nasty vibrations in the wheel.

i like it, im satisfied with the purchase and it eliminated vmc activation

noclutch 12-14-2016 07:02 PM

Very interesting product and thread. And as a result I just ordered my VCMuzzler II. :thumbsup: Not because of any significant vibrations (other than the one at 75 mph that seems to be damper density related(?)), but because of my philosophical objection to pistons, valves, plugs and cylinders not doing what they are designed to- operate as a fully functional internal combustion engine!! LOL
FWIW, I also have a Chevy truck with 5.3l with ACM, that I had tuned out if it's ECM within a few thousand miles in hopes of avoiding the well documented related issues with this engine. 80K in and it's just fine :)

kuzdu 12-15-2016 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by noclutch (Post 15917945)
Very interesting product and thread. And as a result I just ordered my VCMuzzler II. :thumbsup: Not because of any significant vibrations (other than the one at 75 mph that seems to be damper density related(?)), but because of my philosophical objection to pistons, valves, plugs and cylinders not doing what they are designed to- operate as a fully functional internal combustion engine!! LOL
FWIW, I also have a Chevy truck with 5.3l with ACM, that I had tuned out if it's ECM within a few thousand miles in hopes of avoiding the well documented related issues with this engine. 80K in and it's just fine :)

and your right, you will love the car having all 6 all the time. i couldn't believe the vcm hindered this car from operating smoothly. its feel stronger on all 6 running all the time. ill keep everyone posted if anything does arise but i don't think it will come up.

Vteck_10 02-15-2017 01:12 PM

Hey Kudzu.

Any issue with the VcmMuzzler and how is driveability on your TLX. What resitor are you using (red or blue). Just ordered mine and wanted some feedback from fellow member that has use it for a while. Thanks.

kuzdu 02-15-2017 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vteck_10 (Post 15959873)
Hey Kudzu.

Any issue with the VcmMuzzler and how is driveability on your TLX. What resitor are you using (red or blue). Just ordered mine and wanted some feedback from fellow member that has use it for a while. Thanks.

Hey so far so good, no issue what so ever and its is running very smooth. power delivery is great and I'm use the blue resister. its takes 2 min to install. once you installed it post your feedback. you will love your V6 again on the highway

Robs252 02-16-2017 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by kuzdu (Post 15960058)
Hey so far so good, no issue what so ever and its is running very smooth. power delivery is great and I'm use the blue resister. its takes 2 min to install. once you installed it post your feedback. you will love your V6 again on the highway

state/climate are you in? The different colored resisters are for cold or hot climates, correct?

kuzdu 02-16-2017 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Robs252 (Post 15960715)
state/climate are you in? The different colored resisters are for cold or hot climates, correct?

In NYC climate is cold. the Blue resister or for normal weather but once you start getting 100 degrees plus you should switch to the red one. i think someone on the ridgeline forums said they needed it in Arizona.

sheltbt 02-22-2017 01:04 PM

I run the Blue in North Alabama. We will see when it gets hot this summer but I bet I will need to switch.

kuzdu 02-23-2017 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by sheltbt (Post 15964629)
I run the Blue in North Alabama. We will see when it gets hot this summer but I bet I will need to switch.

how do you like it? the car is very smooth and responsive.

sheltbt 02-23-2017 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by kuzdu (Post 15965082)
how do you like it? the car is very smooth and responsive.

the slight vibration drone me nuts before the Muzzler

Robs252 02-23-2017 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by kuzdu (Post 15904627)
Hey everyone, anyone with any feedback on the VcmMuzzler? Did it make a difference and how is the vibration and response time?

did you have any trouble getting the engine cover Off and back on again? Any tips? Thanks.

wilztlxs 02-23-2017 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Robs252
did you have any trouble getting the engine cover Off and back on again? Any tips? Thanks.

You can get to it without removing the cover.

Robs252 02-24-2017 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by kuzdu (Post 15916551)
Hey guys i have the VCMuzzler installed and so far no check engine lights and car is running fine. I installed it last night but didn't have a chance to take it on the highway yet but i did notice that vibration around 38-42 miles rage is gone. this evening i will take it on the highway and reply back.

mine is being shipped. Should be here in about a week and a half. Looking forward to trying it out. I've had some communication with the seller, seems very technically competent.

Robs252 03-06-2017 10:41 AM

VCMuzzler installed. Car is much smoother in the 40-60 MPH range. I can no longer feel the VCM kicking in. Response time in that speed range is better as well. Glad I did the mod. I'm sort of "mechanically aware", and I can tell the difference.

kuzdu 03-06-2017 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Robs252 (Post 15972476)
VCMuzzler installed. Car is much smoother in the 40-60 MPH range. I can no longer feel the VCM kicking in. Response time in that speed range is better as well. Glad I did the mod. I'm sort of "mechanically aware", and I can tell the difference.

yup its so much better that's how a v6 should run :)

encrypted03 03-06-2017 02:20 PM

Any impacts to fuel consumption?

Robs252 03-13-2017 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by encrypted03 (Post 15972782)
Any impacts to fuel consumption?

too early to tell. Can't be any more than 1 or 2 mpg

sheltbt 03-15-2017 06:50 AM

I lost ~1 mpg

99CL 03-22-2017 11:26 AM

Where could I purchase this? Thx

sheltbt 03-22-2017 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 99CL (Post 15984682)
Where could I purchase this? Thx

He sells them on eBay. You can go over to the Hinda Pilot forums and PM him and might save a few bucks.

Iagent 06-19-2017 11:49 AM

Worked great on my 2005 Odyssey, but won't plug in to my 2015 MDX even though its on the list..

Iagent 08-15-2017 01:32 PM

Vcmuzzler company was kind enough to swap out the later version so I could plug it into my 2015 MDX. It may be a coincidence, but I have a message now that says "Emission System Problem" It didn't happen immediately, maybe a coincidence. Came on with the red resister, but it ran better than with blue. Now its switched back to blue. Does anybody know how long the message will stay if its corrected now?

Bluepill 01-13-2018 04:17 PM

Bump

someguy11 01-20-2019 08:34 PM

VCMuzzler Review

Originally Posted by kuzdu (Post 15917329)
Sooooo took the car last night out on the highway and all i can say is the car is soooooooo smoooooooootthhhhhhh. no vibrations around 40, 60 and cruising is like its on glass. i guess the VCM use to cause a lot of drive train vibrations. it feels really clean now.
no check engine, no issue with power delivery or loss of power, its feel great. now you can tell when the tranny is ready to shit and up and down just like my 4G, no more nasty vibrations in the wheel.
i like it, im satisfied with the purchase and it eliminated vmc activation

Originally Posted by Robs252 (Post 15972476)

I agree with both of these guys. I installed a VCMuzzler on my car a few days ago and am now a huge advocate. I waited to put a few hundred miles on the car to gather some accurate observations. I'll write up my brief feedback for anyone considering muzzling.

Back story: I was actually pushed to muzzle based on OdyClub. Our van exhibits significant lugging/rumbling at anything above 25mph. It vibrates around town at 30mph all the way up to 80mph on the expressway. The people on that board make it sound like a P0301-P0303 code for "Cylinder 1-3 Misfire" is inevitable on all 4th Gen Odysseys. I wanted to muzzle that for preventative purposes, so I figured, why not just get two and muzzle the TLX too. They're the exact same design and connectors anyway.

Installation is so easy on both that a caveman could do it. The Odyssey engine cover didn't even have to come off. I could reach the plug with my right hand, hit the release, install the VCMuzzler and away we went. No CEL and no more vibrations. Incredible. The TLX cover did have to come off, but it pops off easily from the four bolt heads/rubber grommets that hold it down. You will see and reach the plug, install the VCMuzzler, put the cover back on and away you go.

So far, I've had a couple days of commuting (city/highway mix) and a 500-mile road trip (highway/expressway). No CEL. I doubted but nevertheless hoped deep down that the VCM was causing the 70-80mph vibrations on the expressway, but alas, the VCMuzzler does not resolve that. I can now say undoubtedly that vibration is the subframe or something that is not the VCM. My car still has that vibration. But what the VCMuzzler did fix was:

-The really bad and really stupid 35-45mph lugging that felt like the transmission was two gears too low. That is indeed VCM. I could feel it deactivate cylinders (stutter), I could feel it while it was running on 3 or 4 cylinders (lugging), and I could feel when it reverted back to 6 cylinders (stutter). That stuff no longer happens on my car. It's silky smooth through that speed range and better yet, pushing the gas yields immediate power. What used to be a seriously delayed response is now instant acceleration and downshifting. VCMuzzler totally restored confidence in passing at these speeds.

-The somewhat bad 57-64mph lugging. This was less obvious vibration but still didn't feel right. It is right in that range I cruised where the speed limit is 55mph. If I set the cruise at 63mph, it would do this ridiculous cycle where it rumbles along on VCM at 63mph where flat. Approaching a downhill, it would coast or run at a really low throttle, lessening the VCM vibrations. At the bottom of the hill and turning back uphill, the car would drop to 62, 61, 60 and maybe 59mph, the car realized it was short on power, VCM stuttered itself off (thus reactivating all cylinders), the tranny would downshift two gears and the car would race back up to 63mph like a dragster. I mean, read that a few times, then tell me that sounds like something you'd expect from an Acura. My God. I'd expect better from a Yugo. Now with a VCMuzzler. I tested this exact situation and guess what - it doesn't happen. The V6 has enough power that it holds 63mph stable downhill or uphill. This engine is remarkably powerful in it's natural state. For instance, it solidly holds 63mph at 1400rpm in 8th gear on flat roads or minor upslopes, and it solidly holds 79mph at 1700rpm in 9th gear regardless of any wind or slopes. If the car does need to downshift for a higher grade uphill climb, it does so immediately and without any VCM delay or deactivation stuttering. Surprisingly, the ZF9 actually responds faster and feels better with the VCM muzzled. It hunts for gears much less while cruising and shifts faster when required. It makes me think the ZF9 is getting a really bad rap as the perpetrator behind the underwhelming TLX driving experience when the real bad guy is VCM. My two cents after muzzling for a few hundred miles.

VCM and deactivating cylinders obviously robs power. Maybe it's acceptable power for coasting, but not good for power on demand or throttle response. Restoring said power means 1) sensing the car needs more power 2) going through cylinder reactivation cycle and 3) shifting appropriately to accelerate as needed. No matter how much you try to perfect such a system, it will result in activation shaking and delayed throttle response. Those are inherent traits and ramifications of such a system. I happen to fundamentally disagree with the philosophy that half an engine should ever be shut off. That is why I muzzled. My proof is in the pudding. I now have a powerful, silky smooth engine at 38, 63 and 79mph. What frustrates me so much is that Honda has an outstanding V6 engine here - but the silly, imperfect VCM is absolutely abusing it. Maybe my rings will fail, maybe they won't. Maybe my plugs never would have fouled and misfired. But muzzling has to be better than letting VCM operate unchecked. Now if only I could fix the expressway vibration...

PS it was single digit temps during my road trip. I have run the blue resistor since I installed the VCMuzzler. That should work all year, but verbatim sends the whole gamut of resistors. I received my package about two weeks after ordering. Most of the time is due to Canada-USA customs. Verbatim deserves a lot of credit for fixing Honda's mistake. My TLX and Odyssey both demonstrated the same improvements. My temp needle sits at about the bottom of the thermometer symbol.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...3fd5eca600.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1e58943564.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...520945d0fc.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...6d92dfd1e8.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ce4932e707.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...9a7c9d3f25.jpg

merejo 07-30-2019 08:54 PM

How much does it cost?