Transmission fluid change - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Transmission fluid change

 
Old 01-29-2019, 01:37 AM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
dezymond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,222
Thanked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Transmission fluid change

The "3" on the maintenance minder came on yesterday for me. I looked everywhere to find a DIY for the TLX, but nothing. I called up my two local dealerships and one of them is telling me it will be $339.99 for a drain and fill, where they drain and fill twice. Another dealership says they'd do the job for $199.95, but provided me with little details. Fremont Acura immediately tried the salespitch route I think, saying that the fluid is expensive (9spd ZF) and the guy was right, normally $399, but he said that there's a "special" going on right now. So then I called up Stevens Creek Acura and they quoted me $199.95, and the service advisor who answered my questions there just seemed to agree with everything I said and said "we drain it all", doesn't leave me with much confidence.

What have the rest of you found the price to be for transmission fluid service on your 9spd ZF units? I'll be calling my independent mechanic tomorrow (As he is closed on Mondays) to see what he'd quote me, but damn this fluid is expensive, $35-$45 a quart!

I guess my question is, for those who got it done did they try to do a "3x3", drain and fill 3 times? I did this with my old TL and that was a long process, but I ensured I got new fluid in there. Did your mechanic or dealership just drain it once and call it a day? Or did they try to replace up to 12qts of fluid, as you can only drain up to 4qts at a time.

Last edited by dezymond; 01-29-2019 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Missed details
dezymond is online now  
Old 01-29-2019, 06:13 AM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
TSXV6Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario (Canada)
Age: 53
Posts: 574
Thanked 75 Times in 60 Posts
See here for the ZF9 ATF fluid replacement procedure. It's more complicated than the old honda ATFs, and requires ATF type 3 oil, which is expensive. The factory only recommends replacing the oil "once", i.e., no "3x3".
TSXV6Guy is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 01:49 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
dezymond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,222
Thanked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy View Post
See here for the ZF9 ATF fluid replacement procedure. It's more complicated than the old honda ATFs, and requires ATF type 3 oil, which is expensive. The factory only recommends replacing the oil "once", i.e., no "3x3".
Wow thanks!

Yeah that ATF fluid is insanely expensive. I actually reached out to my local mechanic I've used for a long time and he quoted me $100 to do it. So I'll just get it done through him. The cost of the fluid itself at a retail level is more than that so I'm happy about that.
dezymond is online now  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:14 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
losiglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Age: 37
Posts: 2,905
Thanked 695 Times in 489 Posts
Geez. That ATF is pricey.

I change my 4G using DW-1 or Maxlife pretty frequently but I don't think I would with this transmission. It would cost a fortune.
losiglow is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 12:20 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
dezymond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,222
Thanked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow View Post
Geez. That ATF is pricey.

I change my 4G using DW-1 or Maxlife pretty frequently but I don't think I would with this transmission. It would cost a fortune.
I know is so damn expensive. But any car is a money pit after all....oh well, needs to be done. I'm over the initial shock lol
dezymond is online now  
Old 02-07-2019, 03:01 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 34
Posts: 225
Thanked 20 Times in 7 Posts
So how do you measure the temp for the transmission?

Theres an 8 degree varience
Sounds like you need a HDS device...
JustinZ is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 05:11 PM
  #7  
SH-AWD TECH
 
ConradValmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 54
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
Wow thanks!

Yeah that ATF fluid is insanely expensive. I actually reached out to my local mechanic I've used for a long time and he quoted me $100 to do it. So I'll just get it done through him. The cost of the fluid itself at a retail level is more than that so I'm happy about that.
I'm also in the bay and bought the fluid for $25 each. Anticipating some outrageous BS labor only price from the local dealerships. Which local mechanic are you using? Maybe I'll take mine there too.
ConradValmont is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 06:46 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 320
Thanked 82 Times in 46 Posts
I had this done on my 3rd gen and it was sub 200 maybe closer to $100 but not yet on the TLX. I know on the 3rd gen it was basicly a 3 quart drain and refill. Was not aware the TLX was a double drain and refill. Seems odd and not right. Can't see why you would drain, fill and drain it again. If that's what they do then $400 is probably typical. Again sounds odd.
jhb31 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:37 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
dezymond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,222
Thanked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ConradValmont View Post
I'm also in the bay and bought the fluid for $25 each. Anticipating some outrageous BS labor only price from the local dealerships. Which local mechanic are you using? Maybe I'll take mine there too.
Bay City Automotive in Milpitas. I've been taking my car to them since my first Civic and their prices are extremely cheap and Jim (one of the owners and mechanics) is as honest as they come. Old school feel shop down to the brown carpet. Real honest guy and I always recommend him, specializes in japanese cars.

Make sure to call and get an appointment, they get busy really fast. I had him change my oil and ATF, got there at 8 and was out of there a little after 9 since there were two people ahead of me.

Where did you find the atf fluid for so cheap?
dezymond is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to dezymond For This Useful Post:
ConradValmont (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 04:44 PM
  #10  
SH-AWD TECH
 
ConradValmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 54
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
Bay City Automotive in Milpitas. I've been taking my car to them since my first Civic and their prices are extremely cheap and Jim (one of the owners and mechanics) is as honest as they come. Old school feel shop down to the brown carpet. Real honest guy and I always recommend him, specializes in japanese cars.

Make sure to call and get an appointment, they get busy really fast. I had him change my oil and ATF, got there at 8 and was out of there a little after 9 since there were two people ahead of me.

Where did you find the atf fluid for so cheap?
Thank you for the info on Bay City Automotive. I'll check them out.

Ebay usually has some good deals for this particular ATF.
ConradValmont is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 01:09 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
dezymond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,222
Thanked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ConradValmont View Post
Thank you for the info on Bay City Automotive. I'll check them out.

Ebay usually has some good deals for this particular ATF.
Honestly the service he provided was cheaper than me buying 3 quarts of my own fluid.
dezymond is online now  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
kixo
Second Generation TSX Discussion (2009-2014)
3
08-15-2015 09:32 PM
rodleung68
1G TSX Problems & Fixes
4
05-06-2012 12:58 AM
thefork
Second Generation RL (2005-2012)
4
08-21-2011 03:15 PM
thelastaspec
Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
12
06-13-2011 01:59 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.