TLX I4 vs V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TLX I4 vs V6

Hey guys

I am in the market for a new car and TLX is on my radar, today I have test drove both of them and also want everyone's opinion, and if anyone have any opinion please share with me. I am still trying to decide if i get a TLX, which one should I get. If possible please share with me how you choose between teh 2 cars, since there is nothing cosmetic or equipment wise that is one better then the other since you can equip them with the same thing

V6 SH AWD

- I live in Vancouver and last year we have crazy amount of snow, so I am thinking it would be helpful
- transmission is sluggish compare to the I4
- engines feels less responsive then the I4
- vibration less for acceleration

I4

- More lively compare to the V6, feels like a sports car compare to the V6
- responsive engine and transmission, V6 transmission feels there is a delay with the paddle shifter
- I love the fact that you get an actual shifter for P R N D, I think is better than the button one
Old 07-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I guess living in a cold climate, the V6 SH-AWD is probably the best option, but the DCT is a great transmission and I loved it in the test drive.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Ottawa where have harsh winters but I still choose the I4 (2015 tech) . For winter driving I use a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 winter tires and never had any traction issues. Braking is just as good as SH AWD. My previous car was a Mercedes C class 4matic all wheel drive but I had no concern going back to FWD. If you value fuel consumption, I am averaging 8.3 l/100km and just got back from an eastern trip averaging 6.5 l/100km.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Each has its advantages.

I prefer the SH-AWD because it has handling benefits even in the dry. It's not merely a benefit in inclement conditions. The torque vectoring helps handing every time you are in a turn, making the car more neutral. I only wish Acura had been able to mate the V6 to a DCT, like they did in the RLX Sport Hybrid. That was an awesome combination!

The PAWS cars have horrific torque steer and tire-chirping with any decent acceleration. SH-AWD ends that, allowing power to be provided to all drive wheels on launch. No torque-steer!

The push-button transmission is pretty intuitive. Having had this on my RLX, it is really a no-brainer to use it. You do understand that the stick shifter is only an electronic switch itself, yes? I suppose it's just a matter of aesthetics.

On the other hand, the I4 with DCT is also a nice combination and the car is much lighter in that configuration, so would handle accordingly, even if not as fast as the V6 variant.

It sounds like you've made your decision, OP! Roll with that I4, there's nothing wrong with it.
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:24 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Each has its advantages.

I prefer the SH-AWD because it has handling benefits even in the dry. It's not merely a benefit in inclement conditions. The torque vectoring helps handing every time you are in a turn, making the car more neutral. I only wish Acura had been able to mate the V6 to a DCT, like they did in the RLX Sport Hybrid. That was an awesome combination!

The PAWS cars have horrific torque steer and tire-chirping with any decent acceleration. SH-AWD ends that, allowing power to be provided to all drive wheels on launch. No torque-steer!

The push-button transmission is pretty intuitive. Having had this on my RLX, it is really a no-brainer to use it. You do understand that the stick shifter is only an electronic switch itself, yes? I suppose it's just a matter of aesthetics.

On the other hand, the I4 with DCT is also a nice combination and the car is much lighter in that configuration, so would handle accordingly, even if not as fast as the V6 variant.

It sounds like you've made your decision, OP! Roll with that I4, there's nothing wrong with it.

Thank you so much for your reply, may I ask for the SH AWD, is it really that bad lets say on snow ? I am debating inside myself between the 2, the V6 or the I4
It sounds like the PAWS system is really bad
The DCT system is really great today when I drive it, but I am not quite sure, the I4 feel like the vibration is quite strong even when I dont press on the gas
I am coming from a Q50 2014
Old 07-22-2017, 05:58 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
The I4 will have more vibration at idle than the V6 - it's a large 4 cyl and that's the price you pay for it. Frankly I never notice it but I understand how you would coming from a Q50.

WRT SH-AWD - most of the experts will tell you (I'm not one but I do pay attention) that a good set of Winter snow tires will help you more than AWD in most cases in the Winter. Most people get the SH-AWD for the handling advantages as described by Bob above. Or if money is no object and you like to get the top of the line then get the SH-AWD AND put some snow tires on it!
Old 07-22-2017, 07:19 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by rs1985
Hey guys

I am in the market for a new car and TLX is on my radar, today I have test drove both of them and also want everyone's opinion, and if anyone have any opinion please share with me. I am still trying to decide if i get a TLX, which one should I get. If possible please share with me how you choose between teh 2 cars, since there is nothing cosmetic or equipment wise that is one better then the other since you can equip them with the same thing

V6 SH AWD

- I live in Vancouver and last year we have crazy amount of snow, so I am thinking it would be helpful
- transmission is sluggish compare to the I4
- engines feels less responsive then the I4
- vibration less for acceleration

I4

- More lively compare to the V6, feels like a sports car compare to the V6
- responsive engine and transmission, V6 transmission feels there is a delay with the paddle shifter
- I love the fact that you get an actual shifter for P R N D, I think is better than the button one
Well your mind seems really set.

I disagree about the responsiveness of the V6. Just put it in SPORT PLUS mode (not regular SPORT which sucks, like ECO or NORMAL). Then the V6 is all there, *now*.

Your are probably right about a bit of lag between the paddle shifter action and gear change; the ZF9 is programmed that way. Possibly improved for 2018.

As other said, AWD is not a substitute for winter tires. But they are really at their best or critical if you are constantly at low temperatures like -5 C (20 F).

Last edited by Saintor; 07-22-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Really haven't noticed any serious vibration in our I4 - just as smooth as the V6 Lexus IS250 we had before. Perhaps drive some other I4's on extended test drives.

By the way, the PAWS system is fine. Some refer to the basic V6 as the PAWS V6 to differentiate that V6 version from the SHAWD V6. And as I understand it, the non-SHAWD V6 can have serious tire-chirping and torque steer. Not a big problem (if any) with the I4. In any case, shouldn't be blamed on the PAWS system - it's good.

As others have said, it's a personal decision and you probably can't go wrong. I do think I'd choose between the I4 and the SHAWD V6 - I'd pass on the basic V6.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Coming from the Accord Sport CVT, it wasn't easy to pick between an i4 Tech and the base V6 that I ultimately chose. Both were pretty much identical in appearance and came in at basically the same price.

The 2.4 has the powertrain that I wish came with my old Accord Sport. Responsive at the throttle and on the shifts. Not to mention, it leverages PAWS system better than the 3.5.

However, I do enough highway driving that I wanted something that could pull hard when situations call for it yet, return good fuel economy when I'm not on it. So, I went with the 3.5 PAWS. In hindsight -- and to echo bob a bit -- the power of the V6 overmatches the front tires when under moderate to aggressive throttle application, mainly at speeds under 40 mph. So, while the power is plentiful, standing start drag racing is discouraged here. (Note: midrange acceleration is fantastic though. While some will disagree, I'd say it'd best any other version of the TL/TLX in this category.)

If I had to do it again, I would get the SH-AWD model and call it a day.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
After ditching the stock LS-2 tires and putting on stickier ones, torque steer on my 2.4 is all but gone. Frankly, the 2.4 doesn't make enough torque to spin the tires on a decent set of rubber; the only reason it does from the factory is because the stock tires are terrible.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

end up my dealer didn't want to take my lease for the last 6 months, I guess I will be on the side line looking for another half a year to learn more about the car