Should We Call The TLX the 3G TSX Rather Than 5G TL? Did Acura Discontinue The TL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should We Call The TLX the 3G TSX Rather Than 5G TL? Did Acura Discontinue The TL?

I've been reading the early reviews on the new TLX, and I'm now under the impression that the TLX is more of an improvement on the TSX, than an upgraded TL. We all know the TL encroached on the RL/RLX's territory, and was the size of midsize luxury cars. If you consider the "new" engine choices for the TLX, they are both slight upgrades (from a horsepower standpoint I4 206 vs. TSX 201; V6 290 vs. TSX 280). The interior of the new car is also slightly smaller than in the TSX. The TL was simply more roomy with more horsepower and torque. I think Acura sacrificed the TL in favor of saving the RL/RLX, even though the TL had much better sales potential. There are other things that bring me to this conclusion, but it's early on a Saturday morning, and I'm still kinda sleepy...but I'd like to hear what others think about which car the TLX is actually replacing.
The following users liked this post:
randomRon82 (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Its weight is also comparable to TSX. Tires width is also down to TSX level.
TL both FWD/SH-AWD had RLX size OEM tires.
My predictions early on was correct that Acura is so diapponted with 4G TL that they will completely get rid of its design influence. I like the 4G TL it look more upscale and built like Tank.

Last edited by SSFTSX; 08-09-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:33 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
I guess it doesn't really matter when it comes down to it.
musty hustla (08-15-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
The V6 is an upgrade over the 3.5L v6 in FWD TLs as the old FWD TL had 280 hp and less torque than the new engine.

The TLX V6 also has a lot more to offer than the old TL - according to reviews that I've read it's quieter, more refined, has more features standard and available, is faster (Edmunds has the old FWD TL at 6.4 seconds to 60) and more efficient than the old TL. I also happen to think it's better looking but to each their own on that.

Where people are getting thrown off is the SHAWD TLX being a straight AWD version of the TLX and not a Type-S replacement as the old SHAWD TL was sort of intended to be if I recall correctly. I also think th 9AT is such a different piece of tech that reviewers are still figuring out. And there is no 6MT which was very quick. Also the reviews are just first drive stuff and these guys and gals had three versions to drive - so impressions are going to be somewhat limited with only 100 miles or so in each car. When more thorough reviews come out with tested performance numbers I think we will have a better idea of what the TLX really is. It is obviously smaller than the TL - but again from reviews that I've read it isn't really that big of a deal.

It's clearly an upgrade over the TSX from, especially, Jeff at TOV and Autoblogs review. I think it is also an upgrade over the FWD V6 because of the improvements in efficiency, refinement, NVH and performance. For enthusiasts the TLX SHAWD will be seen as a bit of a downgrade over the TL SHAWD but that was to be expected with Acura telling us it isn't a Type-S analogue.
The following 2 users liked this post by iutodd:
Acura_Dude (08-09-2014), hddnav (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

No Magazine has tested 6AT TL FWD. TLX is clear downgrade. Don't forget the removal of DWB suspension. It has same turning radius as previous TL (which has wider tires) so its more cosmetic reduction in length.

TLX is German approach of lack of quality and reliability. see the more often transmission oil change.

dom (08-14-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Safety Car

Its the aggressive wide stance, lights every thing make it more unique and upscale. TLX is another Optima or boring Lexus design.

Medjai (08-12-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Probably depends on how much importance you put into measurable interior volume, however it is also smaller inside for a TSX it would appear, at least on paper, so then again that may not necessarily be a good measure of whether it more replaces this or that because you could say they are both downgrades in that department.

Think they simply did a good job of consolidating both models into one. Wouldn't necessarily look at it as a direct replacement for either but both. Driving characters of the versions dictate that the I4 replaces the TSX and the V6's the TL, perhaps that is what bares the most weight.

As suggested it may be considered somewhat of a downgrade for the enthusiast TL customer in that there really is no sport dedicated model, it is simply the addition of AWD (same gearing, no other cosmetic or engineered sport enhancements besides the obvious, etc) but one could also argue that SH would naturally be enough to give it enough sport distinction over the others and we haven't seen any official test results yet so that may or may not mean anything.

It's likely just a downgrade in certain respects for those who have or want a 6MT for their own subjective reasoning first and foremost and/or needs wants the bit of extra interior space, but that's about it and may not be that many.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:46 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Acura discontinued the TSX. Acura said that loud and clear.
The following 4 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
a35tl (08-09-2014), emanon256 (08-11-2014), ggesq (08-09-2014), Stew4HD (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Acura did say that they discontinued the TSX, but what they say and do, are not always one in the same...the V6 TLX is more of a replacement for the TSX V6 than the TL IMO, but I could be wrong. If you look at the side view of the TLX, it has the same wedge shape as the TSX, not so much the same as the 4G TL's shape.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Its the aggressive wide stance, lights every thing make it more unique and upscale. TLX is another Optima or boring Lexus design.

to me that was one of the most atrocious designs. That back lol
Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by blakura
Acura did say that they discontinued the TSX, but what they say and do, are not always one in the same...the V6 TLX is more of a replacement for the TSX V6 than the TL IMO, but I could be wrong. If you look at the side view of the TLX, it has the same wedge shape as the TSX, not so much the same as the 4G TL's shape.
are you basing your opinion of photos? As several have said as well as reviewers, it is only 1 inch narrower inside than the TL and just over 3 inches shorter.

Until you see one in person...
Old 08-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

they also discontinued TL. They also said clear. What they replace is clear downgrade in quality and interior space. infact FWD RLX that is much nicer car and have wider tires have essentially same fuel economic as FWD TLX. RLX is only at 6speed auto. I bet if same same DI engine/8DCT put in TSX. it would have been faster. There is no practical advancement over 7 year old car.
blakura (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Because the new TLX is not based on the Accord Euro, I believe it's fair to say the TLX is the 5G TL, but it really doesn't matter. The fact that it drives like the 1G TSX is a huge improvement over either the TL or 2G TLX.

Acura wants to push the 4G TL SH-AWD to the RLX and the 4G TL and I4 and V6 TSX drivers to the TLX.

Either way, it's worth reiterating this car appears significantly better than either offering Acura had last year.
The following 3 users liked this post by kurtatx:
a35tl (08-09-2014), blakura (08-13-2014), Stew4HD (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

they also discontinued TL. They also said clear. What they replace is clear downgrade in quality and interior space. infact FWD RLX that is much nicer car and have wider tires have essentially same fuel economic as FWD TLX. RLX is only at 6speed auto. I bet if same same DI engine/8DCT put in TSX. it would have been faster. There is no practical advancement over 7 year old car.
It is not a clear downgrade, obviously YOU think it is but it is not
Old 08-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Current TSX has chrome plated handles, rear strip, much better rims/tirs for 4 cylinder. the side mirror much nicer. one piece sport package, shorter turning radius. Those technical improvements in drive train and handling could have implemented in TSX. no need to put into down graded design with cheap materials.
Europe got Accord Type S and its handling was declared better than torque vectoring Volvo by autobild Germanic. there is nothing special about handling. even summer performance tires and light accessories wheels make bigger difference.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Safety Car

interior dials are much nicer and larger. separate raised buttons for side mirrors. TLX is more ILX design.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Because the new TLX is not based on the Accord Euro, I believe it's fair to say the TLX is the 5G TL, but it really doesn't matter. The fact that it drives like the 1G TSX is a huge improvement over either the TL or 2G TLX.

Acura wants to push the 4G TL SH-AWD to the RLX and the 4G TL and I4 and V6 TSX drivers to the TLX.

Either way, it's worth reiterating this car appears significantly better than either offering Acura had last year.
I agree completely with that last statement - we can sit here and nitpick but the reviews all say good to great things and the car will do well for Acura I think.

I don't think Acura wants anyone to buy the RLX right now. They need to change quite a bit about the RLX before TL buyers, or anyone for that matter, would come close to it.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
No Magazine has tested 6AT TL FWD. TLX is clear downgrade. Don't forget the removal of DWB suspension. It has same turning radius as previous TL (which has wider tires) so its more cosmetic reduction in length.

TLX is German approach of lack of quality and reliability. see the more often transmission oil change.

The level of BS in this post is just incredible........
The following 5 users liked this post by Shiratori1:
a35tl (08-09-2014), BEAR-AvHistory (08-11-2014), graphicguy (08-11-2014), mr2core (08-09-2014), Stew4HD (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 PM
2G TLX-S

Note the word "DISCONTINUE", which is not the same as "model generation replacement".

Many months back, Acura said the TSX was to be discontinued, but NOT the TL to be discontinued.

The TL is being replaced by the TLX, and the TSX is also being replaced by the TLX.

So you can say the TLX replaces both the TL and the TSX.

But the fact still holds that Acura discontinued the TSX, but not the TL/TLX.

Also take the cue that the new car is named "TLX", but not "TSXX".
The following 5 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
a35tl (08-09-2014), AsianRage (08-20-2014), BEAR-AvHistory (08-11-2014), PreludeVTEC01 (08-11-2014), Stew4HD (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

Note the word "DISCONTINUE", which is not the same as "model generation replacement".

Many months back, Acura said the TSX was to be discontinued, but NOT the TL to be discontinued.

The TL is being replaced by the TLX, and the TSX is also being replaced by the TLX.

So you can say the TLX replaces both the TL and the TSX.

But the fact still holds that Acura discontinued the TSX, but not the TL/TLX.

Also take the cue that the new car is named "TLX", but not "TSXX".
They can say what ever but practically they haven't delivered. Car is smaller inside than previous generation. Quality and reliability is not at previous genraation level. Tires and weight has been reduced to TSX level.
blakura (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
It is not a clear downgrade, obviously YOU think it is but it is not
I just went to the acura.com website, and they have the sedans in this order...RLX, TL, TLX, TSX, ILX...that looks like the TLX is a sub-TL offering. Again, there was no room in the lineup for the TL and the RL/RLX, but discontinuing the TL outright would be very unpopular, so they quietly did so, and tried to call the TLX the replacement for both of their previous midsize offerings, but we know that the RLX and TL have more in common than the TLX and the TL, the TLX has much more in common with the TSX...
Old 08-09-2014, 05:42 PM
2G TLX-S

They can say what ever but practically they haven't delivered. Car is smaller inside than previous generation. Quality and reliability is not at previous genraation level. Tires and weight has been reduced to TSX level.
First of all, how do you know that the "reliability is not at previous generation level" when the TLX is not even on the market yet ?! ?!

To delivered or not to deliver, is a different story; and is totally unrelated to the fact that the TSX has been discontinued.

Take a look at the 9G Honda Civic. The 2012 Civic was also smaller, and was built with below-par interior materials. Sales immediately tanked, and Honda had to rush out a heavily revised 2013 Civic as a remedy. Never before in Honda's history has a passenger vehicle to receive a rush-job model revamp in just one short year on the market.

So the 2012 Civic didn't deliver. But does it make the 2012 Civic to become a Fit ?

Of course not. A Civic is always a Civic, not matter it can deliver or not.

But even though the TLX is smaller than the outgoing TL, it can more than compensate with all the high-tech technologies and advanced driving aids.

One very obvious feature that sets apart the TLX from the TSX is the availability of SH-AWD. The TSX never has AWD capability, but the TL has.
a35tl (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Safety Car

First of all, how do you know that the "reliability is not at previous generation level" when the TLX is not even on the market yet ?! ?!

To delivered or not to deliver, is a different story; and is totally unrelated to the fact that the TSX has been discontinued.

Take a look at the 9G Honda Civic. The 2012 Civic was also smaller, and was built with below-par interior materials. Sales immediately tanked, and Honda had to rush out a heavily revised 2013 Civic as a remedy. Never before in Honda's history has a passenger vehicle to receive a rush-job model revamp in just one short year on the market.

So the 2012 Civic didn't deliver. But does it make the 2012 Civic to become a Fit ?
If there were Honda City sedan and Honda Civic had been reduced to City size and quality. than obviously. it would have been City by another name.
Of course not. A Civic is always a Civic, not matter it can deliver or not.
Civic is not always a Civic. there is Euro Civic with Honda City suspension.

But even though the TLX is smaller than the outgoing TL, it can more than compensate with all the high-tech technologies and advanced driving aids.

One very obvious feature that sets apart the TLX from the TSX is the availability of SH-AWD. The TSX never has AWD capability, but the TL has.
TL never had 4 cylinder either. Technology has nothing with class and quality. Honda Civic has push button start but not TSX.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Racer

We all agree that the TLX is an upgrade to the TSX, SH-AWD is one of the significant upgrades over the TSX. I believe the TSX would've had SH-AWD if the TL didn't exist in the first place, but if both TL and TSX had SH-AWD, that would've made things difficult for the TL, just as the TL with SH-AWD made things difficult for the RL.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Good thing they didn't name the car Vigor.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:46 PM
2G TLX-S

TL never had 4 cylinder either. Technology has nothing with class and quality. Honda Civic has push button start but not TSX.
Well, the 1G TL has 5 cylinders : 2.5TL.

Therefore, the TL/TLX can have any number of cylinders from 4 to 6.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
This is how it should've been done. No ILX (what's the point of it). TSX should've been their entry level sedan (TLX styling should've been the next generation of the TSX). Create a totally new design for the TLX and make it a little bit smaller than the RLX, but a little larger than what it is is now. (Think 4G interior size, but less overhang on the exterior and not as wide in the rear). Sort of what was done between the 8th and 9th generation Accord sedan. The 9th Generation shrunk a little in size, but the interior volume is very identical to the larger 8th generation. And let the RLX remain as their flagship sedan with Shawd standard. Also price it a little bit better with not as many trims. Or it they decide to keep the current price ($60,450 for and RLX Advance ) at least offer a V-8 engine and rear wheel drive to better compete with other luxury cars in that price range. Bring the CL back as the CLX (Acura really needs a nice Coupe). Keep the MDX and RDX just the way they are. ZDX should've been brought back for a 2nd generation, updated, marketed and promoted more, and priced alot cheaper (yes the Z is one of the most upscale interiors Acura has ever created, RLX aside, but they could've cut corners somewhere in order to price it cheaper). Just my two cents.

Last edited by MisterZDX; 08-09-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:03 PM
2G TLX-S

We all agree that the TLX is an upgrade to the TSX, SH-AWD is one of the significant upgrades over the TSX. I believe the TSX would've had SH-AWD if the TL didn't exist in the first place, but if both TL and TSX had SH-AWD, that would've made things difficult for the TL, just as the TL with SH-AWD made things difficult for the RL.
If the TSX had AWD and the TL didn't exist in the first place, then the TLX (with optional AWD) would be, in no doubt, a "model generation replacement" for the TSX.

However, the fact is that the TL has AWD, but the TSX doesn't; makes the argument even stronger that the TLX (with optional AWD) an incontestable "model generation replacement" for the TL.

The TLX is a "model generation replacement" for the TL.

The TSX has been discontinued. The TSX is dead.

In order to cover the loss of the TSX market share, the entry level base TLX is stripped down to the level of the discontinued TSX, and can be treated as such.

And the answer to your question in the header : "Did Acura Discontinue The TL?", is NO.

Acura did NOT discontinue the TL, it discontinued the TSX.
Stew4HD (08-09-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
If you ask most 3rd gen and 2nd gen TL owners, they'll tell you that the TLX is the 4th gen TL and what people refer to as the 4th gen TL was really something else.
blakura (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
LOL, OMG!!! This is getting hilarious!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by compewterbleu:
hadokenuh (08-11-2014), nttstt444 (08-11-2014), Stew4HD (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Sales immediately tanked, and Honda had to rush out a heavily revised 2013 Civic as a remedy.
Sorry. You are entitled to whatever personal opinion you have about the 2012 Civic, but you are not entitled to your own facts with regards to sales. The Civic sold 317,909 examples in 2012, more than ANY other car in the segment. The refresh was done was in order to appease the car magazines, who panned the 2012 version in their reviews of it.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/01...s-figures.html

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/01...s-figures.html
Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
LOL, OMG!!! This is getting hilarious!!!
graphicguy (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Why does this matter anyway???

Omg.
Stew4HD (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Why does this matter anyway???

Omg.
I'm not sure that it matters, but I had the thought, and figured it'd be good a good conversation to have. I didn't expect to see such emotional comments, when in the end it doesn't matter what we come up with, Acura is going to continue to say the TLX replaces 2 cars, I just don't fully believe that it'll successfully replace the 4G TL, although it would be a great successor to the 3G TL, but isn't that what the 2G TSX was (unofficially) once they added the V6?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I'm not sure that it matters, but I had the thought, and figured it'd be good a good conversation to have. I didn't expect to see such emotional comments, when in the end it doesn't matter what we come up with, Acura is going to continue to say the TLX replaces 2 cars, I just don't fully believe that it'll successfully replace the 4G TL, although it would be a great successor to the 3G TL, but isn't that what the 2G TSX was (unofficially) once they added the V6?
It's true it won't completely replace the 4G TL, but it will come darn close and the rest should be picked up by the RLX, which needs to be a lot better at MMC. I doubt it will be better, but it needs to be significantly improved.
blakura (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

The TLX has the same wheelbase at the outgoing 4G TL which, to me, keeps in the same group... *shrug*
Edward'TLS (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Just to add to the debate, aside from everything else, if we just look at the interior cargo/passenger volumes, it definitely seems like the TLX is more akin to the TSX. Over on acura.com, doing a comparison shows the TSX pretty much beats or equals the TLX in most categories, including the TSX having more shoulder room front and rear, more front and rear headroom, and overall more cargo volume.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Racer

Interesting point tsxacura, I for one feel that the TLX rides closer to the TSX side of the TL/TSX spectrum. I believe the thought of the beloved (mostly because of the 3G) TL being discontinued, is too much for some to bear, so they cling to the TLX being its successor, and while Acura says it is, I don't agree. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, as long as the car is a success, and hopefully there's a Type S in the plans :-)
Old 08-11-2014, 05:44 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Interesting point tsxacura, I for one feel that the TLX rides closer to the TSX side of the TL/TSX spectrum. I believe the thought of the beloved (mostly because of the 3G) TL being discontinued, is too much for some to bear, so they cling to the TLX being its successor, and while Acura says it is, I don't agree. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, as long as the car is a success, and hopefully there's a Type S in the plans :-)
Well that's a bit delusional.
Stew4HD (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
After driving the TLX today (just posted a new thread) I feel like they replaced the TL with a worthy TL replacement, but added a four cylinder to allow it to be priced as a TSX replacement. If there was not a four cylinder model and they called the TLX a TL I would have not thought anything of it. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Quick Reply: Should We Call The TLX the 3G TSX Rather Than 5G TL? Did Acura Discontinue The TL?