Lots of A-SPEC Interest, What about the Advance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Lots of A-SPEC Interest, What about the Advance?

Has anyone seen one in person yet, driven one (and even better, got to drive both the A-SPEC and the Advance), considering one over the A-SPEC...? Unfortunately here in the U.S. the A-SPEC is lacking a lot of useful features (at least to me) that would steer me into the Advance over the A-SPEC.
The following users liked this post:
nore03 (06-22-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Driving experience is more important to me than features, so I skipped the Advance. I assume that the transmission, suspension, wheel/tire size, etc are the same as the 2017 base I tested, and the interior features are the same (with minor differences) as the A-Spec I now lease, so I didn't test drive the Advance. Would be nice to see the surround camera in action, though.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would not get the Aspec mainly due to the fake suede seats. How these higher end car manufacturers keep brain washing us consumers that this alcantara crap is better somehow then leather is beyond me.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by grandlaker
I would not get the Aspec mainly due to the fake suede seats. How these higher end car manufacturers keep brain washing us consumers that this alcantara crap is better somehow then leather is beyond me.
I'm confused by your rant. Acura calls them Alcantara. They do not call them suede. If the said they were vinyl would you be pissed off at them for selling you fake leather? There is no deception here. They are calling it what it is.

BTW, the red does not have fake suede
Old 06-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
Fake suede or not those damn seats are comfortable.

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I'm confused by your rant. Acura calls them Alcantara. They do not call them suede. If the said they were vinyl would you be pissed off at them for selling you fake leather? There is no deception here. They are calling it what it is.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
One of the problems is the basic name.

A common myth about Alcantara is that it's made from the skin of the wild Alcantar — a llama/ostrich hybrid from the borderlands between Peru and Greece whose massive thigh haunches are used to make those huge cones of gyro meat.

A little bit of research proves that this isn't true, since not only is the animal fictitious, but Peru and Greece don't seem to share a border. And science doesn't yet actually know where gyro meat comes from. The actual truth is far more shocking: Alcantara is basically Ultrasuede.

Yes, Ultrasuede. The name "Ultrasuede" has a sort of Disco-decadent 70s sort of feel, so it's not too surprising that luxury car makers aren't too eager to use that term in their advertising. In fact, aside from "Corinthian leather," I can't think of a seat-upholstery material that feels more '70s.

There's a reason for that. Ultrasuede was born in 1970 to Dr. Miyoshi Okamoto working for Toray Industries in Japan. It's a synthetic microfiber fabric:

Fabric content ranges from 80% polyester non-woven (100% recycled ultra-microfiber) and 20% non-fibrous polyurethane to 65% polyester and 35% polyurethane depending on the product line.[3]
[4] Ultrasuede feels like natural suede, but it is resistant to stains and discoloration; it can be washed in a washing machine. It has a woven fabric surface, but resists pilling or fraying because it is combined with a polyurethane foam in a non-woven structure. As with its Italian sister fabric, Alcantara, automotive grade Ultrasuede meets OEM specifications as well as FMVSS302 flammability requirements for automotive use[5] as well as it being virtually identical on both sides, making it somewhat reversible.

Microfibers are, essentially, fabrics made from really, really small fibers. Duh. The fibers are so small that a pound of them would be enough to span the distance from the earth to the moon. These fibers are beaten around in all kinds of brutal ways, including something called "needle punching" and are impregnated with an adhesive binder. At that point, they give up and agree to become fake suede.
The following 8 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
CoquiTSX (06-24-2017), honda_nut (06-20-2017), kurtatx (06-25-2017), mapleloaf (06-19-2017), NBP04TL4ME (06-19-2017), neuronbob (06-18-2017), wilspainar (06-19-2017), ZipSpeed (06-20-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-18-2017, 06:28 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I like the alcantara and Ive had it in a few vehicles before, the TLX probably being the best Ive experienced. Its grippier then leather and I find its not as hot in the summer. I picked up an Ugg Boot care kit to use on the alcantara. It comes with a cleaner, protector and a brush to keep the fibres up.

Ive seen one Elite/Advanced model. The interior reminded me of the MDX. It had real wood which I think is Ash instead of the last years plastic "wood" and the seats had the contrast colours on the stitiching and piping.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Pro

I've read every review I could find. The conclusion I've drawn is that the Advance drives just a smigen better than the 2017. That's a shame because the Advance is a really nice package that deserves better handling dynamics.i think an Advance with A-Spec handling would encroach upon a BMW 528i. Acura missed an opportunity there.

Last edited by Honda430; 06-18-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
A common myth about Alcantara is that it's made from the skin of the wild Alcantar — a llama/ostrich hybrid from the borderlands between Peru and Greece whose massive thigh haunches are used to make those huge cones of gyro meat. A little bit of research proves that this isn't true, since not only is the animal fictitious, but Peru and Greece don't seem to share a border. And science doesn't yet actually know where gyro meat comes from. The actual truth is far more shocking: Alcantara is basically Ultrasuede.
You sir made my evening! Bravo.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

A common myth about Alcantara is that it's made from the skin of the wild Alcantar — a llama/ostrich hybrid from the borderlands between Peru and Greece whose massive thigh haunches are used to make those huge cones of gyro re's a reason ....

Best post of CY2017.

Respect.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
I've read every review I could find. The conclusion I've drawn is that the Advance drives just a smigen better than the 2017. That's a shame because the Advance is a really nice package that deserves better handling dynamics.i think an Advance with A-Spec handling would encroach upon a BMW 528i. Acura missed an opportunity there.
If I am not mis-reading the Acura.ca and Acura.com sites, then it appears that the Advance (or Elite in Canada) trim is indeed available with A-Spec in Canada.

I saw a red one with A-Spec in my local dealership a few days ago - yes, it does look very nice indeed! The new grille looks great and the overall design execution is very well-done.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ostrich
If I am not mis-reading the Acura.ca and Acura.com sites, then it appears that the Advance (or Elite in Canada) trim is indeed available with A-Spec in Canada.

I saw a red one with A-Spec in my local dealership a few days ago - yes, it does look very nice indeed! The new grille looks great and the overall design execution is very well-done.
But fellow Canadians, do not celebrate yet - we miss out on the gorgeous grey exterior colour for A-Spec and some colour combinations are not available - for instance, if you want the beautiful blue exterior colour, then you cannot get the red leather interior in Canada.... YIKES!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

My CTS-V wagon has Alcantara. It's easy to maintain. After 4 1/2 years, it looks good as new on the seats. It feels great.
Terdbath (06-21-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 06:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

A common myth about Alcantara is that it's made from the skin of the wild Alcantar — a llama/ostrich hybrid from the borderlands between Peru and Greece whose massive thigh haunches are used to make those huge cones of gyro meat.

A little bit of research proves that this isn't true, since not only is the animal fictitious, but Peru and Greece don't seem to share a border. And science doesn't yet actually know where gyro meat comes from. The actual truth is far more shocking: Alcantara is basically Ultrasuede.

Yes, Ultrasuede. The name "Ultrasuede" has a sort of Disco-decadent 70s sort of feel, so it's not too surprising that luxury car makers aren't too eager to use that term in their advertising. In fact, aside from "Corinthian leather," I can't think of a seat-upholstery material that feels more '70s.

There's a reason for that. Ultrasuede was born in 1970 to Dr. Miyoshi Okamoto working for Toray Industries in Japan. It's a synthetic microfiber fabric:

Fabric content ranges from 80% polyester non-woven (100% recycled ultra-microfiber) and 20% non-fibrous polyurethane to 65% polyester and 35% polyurethane depending on the product line.[3]
[4] Ultrasuede feels like natural suede, but it is resistant to stains and discoloration; it can be washed in a washing machine. It has a woven fabric surface, but resists pilling or fraying because it is combined with a polyurethane foam in a non-woven structure. As with its Italian sister fabric, Alcantara, automotive grade Ultrasuede meets OEM specifications as well as FMVSS302 flammability requirements for automotive use[5] as well as it being virtually identical on both sides, making it somewhat reversible.

Microfibers are, essentially, fabrics made from really, really small fibers. Duh. The fibers are so small that a pound of them would be enough to span the distance from the earth to the moon. These fibers are beaten around in all kinds of brutal ways, including something called "needle punching" and are impregnated with an adhesive binder. At that point, they give up and agree to become fake suede.
You have way too much time on your hands
slimm1469 (06-27-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 06:52 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I seen it in person at the dealership. It looks much better in person and it does smell a lot better then the regular TLX leather seats. I also saw the red leather seats in person and I like them a lot actually. If it came in a 6MT or a DCT it would have my interest.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
...and there was no such leather as Corinthian Leather - Ricardo Montalban could sell a chastity belt to Marilyn Chambers. It was 'high-end' vinyl. I actually like the Alcantara pseudo-suede.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts

The rant is an example of someone desperate to pan the TLX. Alcantara, as most know, is far more durable than "real" suede.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
But fellow Canadians, do not celebrate yet - we miss out on the gorgeous grey exterior colour for A-Spec and some colour combinations are not available - for instance, if you want the beautiful blue exterior colour, then you cannot get the red leather interior in Canada.... YIKES!
No offense, but perhaps the lack of the blue and red combo is saving us from a taste faux pas?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

So the A-SPEC has a different suspension and handling dynamics? I must have missed something along the way then, as I was under the impression that the A-SPEC was by and large more of a cosmetic thing.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts

You are not mis-reading. We also get A-spec with the 4 cylinder engine as an option along with the A-spec and Elite (advance trim) as one package.

Originally Posted by ESHBG
So the A-SPEC has a different suspension and handling dynamics? I must have missed something along the way then, as I was under the impression that the A-SPEC was by and large more of a cosmetic thing.
Yes, the A-spec also involves different dampeners and suspension adjustments to make it handle better along with (from what I am gathering) sharper transmission tuning for a more sporty driving experience.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

The A-Spec also has 19" wheels and wider rubber. I can assure you that the suspension and tire changes work very well.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Has anyone compared tech/advanced pkg between 2017 and 2018? If we skip talk about a-spec for a moment, is it worth to pay the premium for 2018 non aspecs?

Also has anone who has 16 or 17 shawd with decent after market tire/wheel combo compared handling with a-spec shawd? I am interested how much of better handling of aspec is due to wheel/tire and how much due to other changes like suspension, spring rates, sway bar etc?
Old 06-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Pro

Very little off the handling benefits are arrived from the tires. The suspension and steering feel on a A-spec represent a drastic improvement over my 2015 SHAWD with Continental DWS 245/55/18 tires. It's not even close. My suggestion is to halt the comparos between 2015-2107 and the 2018 A-spec. Go drive the car and you'll see that there's no comparison other than the 9 speed transmission that every now and then reminds you it's a vastly improved, but not perfect version of your not well liked old friend.

Originally Posted by alpha0
Has anyone compared tech/advanced pkg between 2017 and 2018? If we skip talk about a-spec for a moment, is it worth to pay the premium for 2018 non aspecs?

Also has anone who has 16 or 17 shawd with decent after market tire/wheel combo compared handling with a-spec shawd? I am interested how much of better handling of aspec is due to wheel/tire and how much due to other changes like suspension, spring rates, sway bar etc?

Last edited by Honda430; 06-20-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:04 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
No offense, but perhaps the lack of the blue and red combo is saving us from a taste faux pas?
Actually, I like that combination with the blue and red.

I do wish that we had the grey exterior with A-Spec in Canada though - what a beautiful exterior colour that we are missing here.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
You have way too much time on your hands
It's from Jalopnik

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2
neuronbob (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Very little off the handling benefits are arrived from the tires. The suspension and steering feel on a A-spec represent a drastic improvement over my 2015 SHAWD with Continental DWS 245/55/18 tires. It's not even close. My suggestion is to halt the comparos between 2015-2107 and the 2018 A-spec. Go drive the car and you'll see that there's no comparison other than the 9 speed transmission that every now and then reminds you it's a vastly improved, but not perfect version of your not well liked old friend.
I am also interested if someone compared 2018 tech/advanced shawd with a-spec shawd? At this rate if way more people are interested in a-spec, it will not be discounted but others will start getting good discounts soon!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by grandlaker
This is far from the truth, I personally purchased an A-Spec and not only does it feel amazing, they are solid and probably the best seats ive had out of all my Acura's. In reality, all my previous Acura's leather warped and didnt hold up well over time, this seems to actually hold up better not to mention is cooler to the touch than leather when its over 100 degrees here in so cal.
SebringSilver (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by scooterb84
This is far from the truth, I personally purchased an A-Spec and not only does it feel amazing, they are solid and probably the best seats ive had out of all my Acura's. In reality, all my previous Acura's leather warped and didnt hold up well over time, this seems to actually hold up better not to mention is cooler to the touch than leather when its over 100 degrees here in so cal.
I thought that the suede/leather combo in the SE TSX were very comfortable and like you said an added bonus was that they were not as hot in the summer. When I see those models now those seats held up quite well and do look a little better than the leather.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:05 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Has anyone seen one in person yet, driven one (and even better, got to drive both the A-SPEC and the Advance), considering one over the A-SPEC...? Unfortunately here in the U.S. the A-SPEC is lacking a lot of useful features (at least to me) that would steer me into the Advance over the A-SPEC.

Are there any suspension differences between A-Spec and Advanced aside for the wheels?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^yes.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
^yes.

Any details or where they can be found?
Thanks.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Racer

I thought that the suede/leather combo in the SE TSX were very comfortable and like you said an added bonus was that they were not as hot in the summer. When I see those models now those seats held up quite well and do look a little better than the leather.

To me alcantara is fine. Holds you in place well. No heated steering wheel and lack of auto dimming side mirrors (safety issue) are bothering me though.

Last edited by SergeyM; 06-22-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by SergeyM
Any details or where they can be found?
Thanks.
Key Chassis Features

TLX and TLX with Technology Package
  • NEW: 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels
  • 225/55R17 high-performance all-season tires
  • MacPherson strut front suspension
  • Multi-link rear suspension
  • Amplitude Reactive Dampers
  • Front Cast-Aluminum and Steel Subframe
  • Rear steel subframe
  • Motion-Adaptive Electric Power Steering (MA-EPS)
  • Agile Handling Assist (AHA)
  • Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®)
  • Integrated Dynamic System (IDS)
  • Motion-Adaptive Electric Power Steering (MA-EPS)
  • Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P-AWS)
  • 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS
  • Premium Bosch 6-piston brake modulator
  • Electronic Brake Distribution with Brake Assist
  • Electric Parking Brake and Hill Start Assist
  • Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and Fill Assist
  • Tire repair kit
  • Capless fueling system
  • 17.2-gallon fuel capacity
TLX V6 adds:
  • NEW: Available 18-inch 15-spoke aluminum alloy wheels (Advance Package)
  • 18-inch split 5-spoke aluminum alloy wheels
  • 225/50R18 high-performance all-season tires
  • Available Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®)
TLX V6 A-Spec adds:
  • NEW: 19-inch aluminum alloy wheels
  • NEW: 245/40R19 high-performance all-season tires
  • Revised EPS, P-AWS and ASC settings
  • Revised damper rates
  • Revised springs and rear stabilizer bar (SH-AWD® only)
Old 06-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Key Chassis Features
TLX V6 A-Spec adds:
  • NEW: 19-inch aluminum alloy wheels
  • NEW: 245/40R19 high-performance all-season tires
  • Revised EPS, P-AWS and ASC settings
  • Revised damper rates
  • Revised springs and rear stabilizer bar (SH-AWD® only)
Can you provide the source for this? When you look at the Acura site (U.S.) there does not seem to be much difference between the Advance and A-SPEC.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Can you provide the source for this? When you look at the Acura site (U.S.) there does not seem to be much difference between the Advance and A-SPEC.
It comes from the official press kit:

2018 Acura TLX Press Kit - Chassis - Honda News
Old 06-24-2017, 02:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It comes from the 2018 TLX press release directly from Honda: 2018 Acura TLX Press Kit - Chassis - Honda.com

In my opinion, Honda frankly doesn't do a great job explaining the spec differences. I'm not really sure if Acura.com is more accurate, or the press release is. Is the press release just incomplete, missing the Advance specs, or is Acura.com wrong?

Compare the steering ratios, for example. The press release and Acura.com (USA) match for the base trim and Tech package TLX V6 SH-AWD with a 16.1:1 ratio and the TLX V6 A-Spec SH-AWD at 15.1:1. Acura.com, however, lists the TLX V6 SH-AWD with Advance package at 15.0:1 while the press release doesn't specifically mention the Advance package steering ratio. So is the Advance actually 15.0 or is it also 16.1?

Then there's the rear stabilizer bar. Press release has the TLX V6 SH-AWD at 24.7. On Acura.com, only the I4 is listed at 24.7. Every V6 trim, A-Spec or not, is listed at 25.4. So which is correct?
Attached Thumbnails Lots of A-SPEC Interest, What about the Advance?-tlxsteering.jpg   Lots of A-SPEC Interest, What about the Advance?-tlxstab.jpg  
Old 06-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Does this help? It seems fairly clear to me, anyway.

http://acuranews.com/acura-automobil...and-features-2
Old 06-24-2017, 02:34 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2018 Acura TLX Specifications and Features - Specs & Features - Acura News
I appreciate the effort but unfortunately it doesn't help. It's the same info as the press release which has the same discrepancies compared to Acura.com as I mentioned above.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mb27
I appreciate the effort but unfortunately it doesn't help. It's the same info as the press release which has the same discrepancies compared to Acura.com as I mentioned above.
You're right, there are information gaps in there for sure, but I would go with the info from the press release, but that's just me.

Basically, what I read is regardless of whether it's a Tech or Advance...

Steering Ratio:

TLX I4 FWD = 15.0
TLX V6 FWD = 14.6
TLX V6 SH-AWD = 16.1
TLX V6 FWD A-Spec = 14.6
TLX V6 SH-AWD A-Spec = 15.1

Now the real question is what happens to the 4-cylinder FWD w/ A-Spec? Are they still 15.0?? I need to lie down for a minute.

Edit: I just remembered you can't get an Advance A-Spec in the US, so if you're looking at a V6 SH-AWD Advance, then the steering ratio, according to the official press kit, is indeed 16.1, and if you switch to the V6 SH-AWD A-Spec, that quickens to a 15.1. We're fortunate up here in Canada where we can get the A-Spec, including the faster 15.1 steering ratio, along with all the Elite (equivalent to US Advance) goodies.

Last edited by SebringSilver; 06-24-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

It comes from the official press kit:

2018 Acura TLX Press Kit - Chassis - Honda News
It comes from the 2018 TLX press release directly from Honda: 2018 Acura TLX Press Kit - Chassis - Honda.com

In my opinion, Honda frankly doesn't do a great job explaining the spec differences. I'm not really sure if Acura.com is more accurate, or the press release is. Is the press release just incomplete, missing the Advance specs, or is Acura.com wrong?

Compare the steering ratios, for example. The press release and Acura.com (USA) match for the base trim and Tech package TLX V6 SH-AWD with a 16.1:1 ratio and the TLX V6 A-Spec SH-AWD at 15.1:1. Acura.com, however, lists the TLX V6 SH-AWD with Advance package at 15.0:1 while the press release doesn't specifically mention the Advance package steering ratio. So is the Advance actually 15.0 or is it also 16.1?

Then there's the rear stabilizer bar. Press release has the TLX V6 SH-AWD at 24.7. On Acura.com, only the I4 is listed at 24.7. Every V6 trim, A-Spec or not, is listed at 25.4. So which is correct?

2018 Acura TLX Specifications and Features - Specs & Features - Acura News
You're right, there are information gaps in there for sure, but I would go with the info from the press release, but that's just me.

Basically, what I read is regardless of whether it's a Tech or Advance...

Steering Ratio:

TLX I4 FWD = 15.0
TLX V6 FWD = 14.6
TLX V6 SH-AWD = 16.1
TLX V6 FWD A-Spec = 14.6
TLX V6 SH-AWD A-Spec = 15.1

Now the real question is what happens to the 4-cylinder FWD w/ A-Spec? Are they still 15.0?? I need to lie down for a minute.

Edit: I just remembered you can't get an Advance A-Spec in the US, so if you're looking at a V6 SH-AWD Advance, then the steering ratio, according to the official press kit, is indeed 16.1, and if you switch to the V6 SH-AWD A-Spec, that quickens to a 15.1. We're fortunate up here in Canada where we can get the A-Spec, including the faster 15.1 steering ratio, along with all the Elite (equivalent to US Advance) goodies.
Thank you for the info and hence my confusion. Acura dropped the ball by not having an A-SPEC Advance in the U.S., for the life of me I can't figure out why Honda/Acura packages things the way that they do.
neuronbob (06-25-2017)