Hood protective film

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:26 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hood protective film

As a 7-year TSX owner, I just upgraded it with a new 2017 TLX AWD w/adv. pkg right before 4th of July for 8k off MSRP. I have fallen in love with it so far.

I drive a lot of freeway each day and worry about rocks and bugs damaging the hood paint. Is anyone here using a clear film to protect?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I owned my 2004 TL for about 11 years before buying my TLX. It was black. The hood protection film I put on that looked like crap after about 5-7 years. If you are looking to keep your car that long and will still care how pristine the car looks, then it may be worth it, but you may need to remove it and buy another one due to it getting scuffed up. Keep in mind I'm speaking from a film I put on over 10 years ago, so technology may have improved in that time.

On my TLX I decided not to put one on. I drive mostly on highways and interstates and in construction zones in those areas. I've owned the car for 3 years, have put about 59,000 miles on it, and I see about 3 or 4 very small paint chips, but you have to get close to them to notice. This car is white and they don't seem to show up as badly as they did on my black TL.
The following users liked this post:
zhongming wang (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 06:01 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I have a TLX and after R&R the beak and painting it; I applied 3m film to just the beak. I thought about doing the whole hood, but I don't do much highway driving or on dirt roads etc. One other option is adding a hood deflector. Weather Tech makes one for about $80 and will keep a large majority of the little pebbles off your hood and windshield.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Absolutely 10000% yes! Put the clear film on as soon as possible. But try to take it a step further and get the whole hood, front bumper, and front fenders protected as well. 3M clear film has to be IMHO the single most impactful protection item you can put on your car. It might be a little pricey, but SOOOO worth it.

I have bought 10+ year old cars with a 3M clear bra and they look MUCH better compared to their non 3M counterparts. In fact my previous 2004 Touareg with the 3M film looked better than my current 2012 Sorento that doesn't have a film. Personally I can't understand people who spend 30k plus on a new car and won't spend another few hundred to protect their purchase.

Last edited by RDX10; 07-08-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
It's too late for me. My wife has already dinged my front bumper with her car door several times. (To her a car is just an appliance...) Up to that time, I was debating paying the money for PPF on a leased car. I should have just done it right off the showroom floor. My advice is, do it!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
It's too late for me. My wife has already dinged my front bumper with her car door several times. (To her a car is just an appliance...) Up to that time, I was debating paying the money for PPF on a leased car. I should have just done it right off the showroom floor. My advice is, do it!
Yikes! To be completely honest, one of my deal breakers for my future wife would be that she treats cars like crap. I simply cannot level with people who just look at a car as a appliance....I know it sounds silly but for real I wash my cars at least once a week in the summer and once every 1-2 weeks in the winter. Vaccuum weekly as well and wipe
down the interior twice weekly.

Lol sorry to go off topic. But yes like Dr Bob said, DO IT! You will thank us later!
Old 07-08-2017, 03:40 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the input everybody!

I think I will apply the paint protection film on my new TLX. It seems 3M has a very good product with reasonable price. DIY will save me at least 200 bucks.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by zhongming wang
Thanks for the input everybody!

I think I will apply the paint protection film on my new TLX. It seems 3M has a very good product with reasonable price. DIY will save me at least 200 bucks.
Good call! You are going to be very happy you did. By the way is your car a dark color? Sorry if it was already mentioned.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:24 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX10
Good call! You are going to be very happy you did. By the way is your car a dark color? Sorry if it was already mentioned.
The color is steel metallic, kind of dark to me.

I will get a small piece of 3M film today and try it on my side mirrors first. I've watched several tutorial videos. It doesn't seem so hard.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
My last 4 Acuras I have had the bumper, mirrors, and half hood done - $495 each time. Worth the cost.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:47 PM
7th Gear

I will get a small piece of 3M film today and try it on my side mirrors first. I've watched several tutorial videos. It doesn't seem so hard.
I didn't realize the side mirrors have paint protection films until I was ready to apply one.

Then I thought I can put the new film on top of the rear bumper (near trunk entry). Sadly it is not long enough.

I ended up applying it on the driver-side door handle recess area. As it is not flat and hard to access, plus I have watched no video about this job, I only succeeded after 2 trials.

It was fun though as I figured notches are needed to overcome the curvature. I believe I can do a better job with a printed template next time. (not drawing with a sharpie)