Grill Removal Tips (or pictures!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Grill Removal Tips (or pictures!!!)

Someone backed into my wife's TLX and cracked the front grill chrome surround. Bought the new piece, but would like to double check the process for removing the grill center for installation of the new chrome ring. Tips appreciated, but photo's from the service manual would be ideal!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Grill Removal Tips (or pictures!!!)-image.jpg  
Old 04-30-2015, 07:57 PM
Advanced

Here it is
Old 04-30-2015, 07:59 PM
Advanced

I really need to learn how to upload all attachments at once...my bad😜
Old 05-01-2015, 07:39 AM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
awesome! Thanks.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Damn, that's a lot of work to replace a broken grill piece. Good luck getting it apart and back together without any additional damage.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
Damn, that's a lot of work to replace a broken grill piece. Good luck getting it apart and back together without any additional damage.
It's really not. Mostly plastic clips. Only a few bolts.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Let me ask you this. I'm thinking about painting or covering with tint the chrome beak in the grille. The part that holds the Acura emblem. I am debating on whether or not to paint or tint it while on the car or remove it and paint/tint it.

If I wanted to just remove that part, can it be done without removing much else? How is the Acura emblem held on? Glue? Clips?

I have a black 2015 and I think that long chicken beak would look much better black with the Chrome Acura emblem on top.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Advanced

You have to remove the grill to get the symbol off. It's held on by pins. I covered the beak on my in carbon fiber and left the symbol silver. It looks so much better. Totally worth it. I will post pics up Wednesday.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Dipped the beak! Love how it looks!
The following 7 users liked this post by BellaTLX:
9SpeedTran (05-12-2015), andre12dbsi (05-17-2015), boe_d (05-10-2015), finebead (05-31-2015), kurtatx (05-26-2015), mecyl (05-10-2015), quantum7 (05-10-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Advanced

Close up!
The following 5 users liked this post by BellaTLX:
boe_d (05-10-2015), finebead (05-31-2015), LAMike240 (05-10-2015), mecyl (05-10-2015), quantum7 (05-10-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 05:21 AM
Banned

Yes, this is the look I want for my black TLX. Is it possible to reach down or reach up from underneath and un pin the emblem and then put on the carbon fiber without disassembling the grill?
Old 05-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any instruction is appreciated
Old 05-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by BellaTLX
Close up!
I'd pay for this if it were an option.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mecyl
Any instruction is appreciated
Please look at the pictures i posted in the beginning of the thread. Those are the instructions.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crashmaster
Yes, this is the look I want for my black TLX. Is it possible to reach down or reach up from underneath and un pin the emblem and then put on the carbon fiber without disassembling the grill?
Even though it's time consuming, way easier to remove the bumper and get at the grill that way.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Advanced

My grill is dipped not wrapped. I had to remove the beak and remove the emblem. You can google carbon fiber dipping and a bunch of places will pop up. Mail your beak to them and it will be dipped and permanent. No peeling. No bubbling and way better looking than any wrap. Depending on where you are you may have local places that do it.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
BellaTLX...I really like your modification of the grill. It looks really sharp and especially on the white TLX. Good job and thanks for posting the instruction.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by weather
BellaTLX...I really like your modification of the grill. It looks really sharp and especially on the white TLX. Good job and thanks for posting the instruction.
Thank you. I really love this car. I have always been a Honda/Acura guy. I had a white 2007 TL and loved that car. The 4G wasn't my cup of tea design wise. I love the look of this car as it appears to be a modern take on the 3G design. Some say it looks bland, but I like it. Added these wheels. Motegi MR120 matte black.Grill Removal Tips (or pictures!!!)-image.jpg
Old 05-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

My grill is dipped not wrapped. I had to remove the beak and remove the emblem. You can google carbon fiber dipping and a bunch of places will pop up. Mail your beak to them and it will be dipped and permanent. No peeling. No bubbling and way better looking than any wrap. Depending on where you are you may have local places that do it.
You are pretty close to where I live. Do you mind sharing how much the process cost and how long? Did you have it done locally or mail it in? I'd consider having it done as well. Thanks again for sharing the pictures - it is a night and day improvement IMHO.

Last edited by boe_d; 05-13-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by boe_d
You are pretty close to where I live. Do you mind sharing how much the process cost and how long? Did you have it done locally or mail it in? I'd consider having it done as well. Thanks again for sharing the pictures - it is a night and day improvement IMHO.
I am curious about the carbon fiber dipping process too. All the carbon stuff I 've seen is a layering and heat process.

I don't plan to do it but interested.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by boe_d
carbonfiber-dipping

Very reputable shop. Mail it to them and they will dip it and send it back. Turn around time depends on what you want done, the color or texture and their workload. 60$ shop minimum. Dipping is a one and done. It's not a 3M wrap you can peel off. It is a hard coating. Permanent. You never have to worry about peeling or bubble. The beak is just plastic with cheap chrome dip. It's the same process the factory does just in carbon. Grill takes about 48 hrs to cure.
The following users liked this post:
boe_d (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I am curious about the carbon fiber dipping process too. All the carbon stuff I 've seen is a layering and heat process.

I don't plan to do it but interested.

Cool video on the process. Comparing this side by side to a wrap is night and day. Really sweet looking in person. Pics and vids just don't do it justice.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Going to dip my wood interior trim soon. I will post pics when done
Old 05-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I'd like to see that! I'd probably leave the wood trim but dip all the shiny metallic trim - that is if I could just order it direct from Acura that way.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Waiting for the black chrome mesh aftermarket grilles to come out.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:37 AM
Banned

Just pulled my grille out yesterday. The instructions listed here are truly pretty bland and basic and left out quite a bit. I'll be taking some pictures and will try and write something up. Instead of carbon fiber, I decided to paint my grille beak the same color (black) as my car. I don't really want the two tone effect of the carbon fiber and would prefer it to look OEM. I think this should be a good upgrade on a black car.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Just pulled my grille out yesterday. The instructions listed here are truly pretty bland and basic and left out quite a bit. I'll be taking some pictures and will try and write something up. Instead of carbon fiber, I decided to paint my grille beak the same color (black) as my car. I don't really want the two tone effect of the carbon fiber and would prefer it to look OEM. I think this should be a good upgrade on a black car.
Wow you're a real jerk! The instructions are straight from the service manual. Only someone wanting to be a jerk would write something like that. Post your pics tough guy or it didn't happen.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Advanced

Wow you're a real jerk! The instructions are straight from the service manual. Only someone wanting to be a jerk would write something like that. Post your pics tough guy or it didn't happen.
I was being sarcastic BTW. But seriously post pics. It was fairly simply for me. Curious to see how you did it
Old 05-21-2015, 09:27 AM
Banned

Here are some pictures of the current state of my TLX. One difference from my TLX is that I have the ADV package with fog lights along with the AERO package. This added to further difficulties in removing the double sided tape along with extra caution of unplugging the fog lights. Two things which the service manual did not mention. There is more.

I realize that not everyone has a lift in their garage, but I’ll have to say I might have thought twice if I had to do this on my back. I started this job with the car on the ground and undid all the necessary parts under the hood, then raised the car up to undo the screws and plastic plugs under the car and in the fender well, and then set the car down a bit to remove part of the AERO package and the bumper. I then set the car to a height so that I could place the bumper on a table in front of the car (as you can see in the pictures). The bumper is a little awkward and if you are doing this job by yourself, you certainly don’t want the bumper slamming to the ground breaking your fog lights.

I did not take pictures when disassembling the front, but will take some step by step pictures when I put it back together. The plastic grille beak is getting its third coat of paint and then I will put on a few coats of clear poly afterwards (don’t want any rocks chipping the paint), so it could be into next week before I reassemble the grille and post pictures.

Acura does make a graphite grille for this car but the price is around $690 without installation. No thanks.

Please excuse the messy garage in the pictures, I tend to let it go in the winter and then do a good cleaning in the spring. Wow, I wrote all of the above without calling anyone a jerk.
Attached Thumbnails Grill Removal Tips (or pictures!!!)-dscn1807.jpg   Grill Removal Tips (or pictures!!!)-dscn1806.jpg   Grill Removal Tips (or pictures!!!)-dscn1805.jpg   Grill Removal Tips (or pictures!!!)-dscn1801.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Crashmaster:
BellaTLX (05-21-2015), mecyl (05-24-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Here are some pictures of the current state of my TLX. One difference from my TLX is that I have the ADV package with fog lights along with the AERO package. This added to further difficulties in removing the double sided tape along with extra caution of unplugging the fog lights. Two things which the service manual did not mention. There is more.

I realize that not everyone has a lift in their garage, but I’ll have to say I might have thought twice if I had to do this on my back. I started this job with the car on the ground and undid all the necessary parts under the hood, then raised the car up to undo the screws and plastic plugs under the car and in the fender well, and then set the car down a bit to remove part of the AERO package and the bumper. I then set the car to a height so that I could place the bumper on a table in front of the car (as you can see in the pictures). The bumper is a little awkward and if you are doing this job by yourself, you certainly don’t want the bumper slamming to the ground breaking your fog lights.

I did not take pictures when disassembling the front, but will take some step by step pictures when I put it back together. The plastic grille beak is getting its third coat of paint and then I will put on a few coats of clear poly afterwards (don’t want any rocks chipping the paint), so it could be into next week before I reassemble the grille and post pictures.

Acura does make a graphite grille for this car but the price is around $690 without installation. No thanks.

Please excuse the messy garage in the pictures, I tend to let it go in the winter and then do a good cleaning in the spring. Wow, I wrote all of the above without calling anyone a jerk.
a graphite grill? Where did you see that at?
Old 05-29-2015, 11:30 PM
Advanced

What the fuck did they leave out asshole?! You're 2 fucking stupid
Old 05-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
What the fuck did they leave out asshole?! You're 2 fucking stupid

Chill with the nastiness!