Drove 2019 RDX Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Drove 2019 RDX Loaner

I had the opportunity to drive a 2019 RDX loaner, only had 300 miles on it and didn't even have the dealer "Loaner" lettering on it. I wanted to share my impressions.

I had previously driven the earlier versions of the RDX as loaners and they left me distinctly underwhelmed. They did not seem to have anywhere near the same quality feel as our MDX or TLX and the handling and performance was lackluster. Definitely would not buy one. But this new one was an entirely different animal. It felt tighter and more solid, and far more peppy and nimble. The V4 Turbo actually felt like a V6 and the turbo was almost transparent in its boost (although I did not get a chance to really open it up). The SHAWD was back and really gave it a "ride on rails" feel. In Sport mode at least (I left it in that mode) it felt like there was no body roll. I wished I could have put something other than the Conti tires on it though. ;-)

The gauges and displays were awesome, a complete upgrade that I am sure rivals anything else out there. It had a little touchpad that controlled most of the menus that was pretty sensitive and accurate once you figured out its "language". This was a huge leap forward from the aging screens in our MDX and TLX, even though I am in the minority of liking the dual screen approach. Much faster, much higher resolution, and very flexible as to which function was primary and which was secondary.

On the whole this was almost enough to make me consider one to replace the TLX, but since we have the MDX, it wouldnt really make sense. But if this is the direction Acura is going (and I see the same leaps forward in Hondas), then watch out over the next couple years -- Acura is back!
The following 6 users liked this post by 9SpeedTran:
a35tl (11-07-2018), CheeseyPoofs McNut (11-07-2018), hadokenuh (11-08-2018), mapleloaf (11-09-2018), OtownPSU (11-07-2018), Speed_Racer (11-08-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-07-2018, 01:52 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
I test drove one about a month ago and walked away impressed as well. Drove the A-Spec, white on black seats. Very peppy engine and while it sounds pretty good for a four banger (probably the synthetic engine noise through the speakers), it will never rival the sound in my V6 TLX on WOT. As many have observed, there's a rough shift between 2 to 3 so I'm hoping that's something that will be remedied for future Acura products. The interior wasn't as quiet as my TLX though, but still quiet. The new ELS 3D is superb. Definitely better than the ELS in my TLX. Much to my sales person encouragement, he told me to take the RDX on a really sharp right turn at 80 kph, so I did. The vehicle didn't complain. There was some body lean but it just powered through the corner.

I really miss having a hatch at the back for tallish items, so there's a good chance I'll be moving back to a crossover when my TLX lease is done. RDX is definitely a contender, but I'm leaning more towards the MDX. Who knows, maybe the 4G MDX will be out by the time my TLX lease is done in summer 2020.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I had the opportunity to drive a 2019 RDX loaner, only had 300 miles on it and didn't even have the dealer "Loaner" lettering on it. I wanted to share my impressions.

I had previously driven the earlier versions of the RDX as loaners and they left me distinctly underwhelmed. They did not seem to have anywhere near the same quality feel as our MDX or TLX and the handling and performance was lackluster. Definitely would not buy one. But this new one was an entirely different animal. It felt tighter and more solid, and far more peppy and nimble. The V4 Turbo actually felt like a V6 and the turbo was almost transparent in its boost (although I did not get a chance to really open it up). The SHAWD was back and really gave it a "ride on rails" feel. In Sport mode at least (I left it in that mode) it felt like there was no body roll. I wished I could have put something other than the Conti tires on it though. ;-)

The gauges and displays were awesome, a complete upgrade that I am sure rivals anything else out there. It had a little touchpad that controlled most of the menus that was pretty sensitive and accurate once you figured out its "language". This was a huge leap forward from the aging screens in our MDX and TLX, even though I am in the minority of liking the dual screen approach. Much faster, much higher resolution, and very flexible as to which function was primary and which was secondary.

On the whole this was almost enough to make me consider one to replace the TLX, but since we have the MDX, it wouldnt really make sense. But if this is the direction Acura is going (and I see the same leaps forward in Hondas), then watch out over the next couple years -- Acura is back!
Thanks for the review. Not trying to be an ass, but to clarify the RDX has an inline 4 cylinder engine, not a V4.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Pro

Sorry about that. ;-)
Old 11-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
How was the 10-speed tranny compared to our ZF9?
Old 11-07-2018, 04:53 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Very snappy with the shifts. As mentioned, there's a hard shift between 2-3.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
How was the 10-speed tranny compared to our ZF9?
It seemed very smooth to me but I didn't get to work it in a wide variety of situations.